Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has Priority here? Almost Fatal Accident

Options

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There was no cutting in front of anyone. You dont cut in front of someone who is stopped at the end of their lane waiting to join the main carriageway.

Maybe if the cyclist had stopped when his lane stopped this would have been a non event?

How did the cyclist have less warning than the motorist? If anything, he had more. He posted earlier that he did see the car coming from behind him, because he has a side mirrors on his bike. It's visible in the video that the car was indicating left.

Surely he should have taken due care and attention at that point, and eased off his speed, instead of just ploughing ahead through the junction?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How did the cyclist have less warning than the motorist? If anything he had more.

um, because the car approached from behind the cyclist? it's easier to see things in front of you than behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe if the motorist had thought about the cyclist that he just passed one second earlier before starting to turn, this would have been a non-event?

Have you not watched the video of the incident we're discussion? Sure it would be good common sense to watch the video before pontificating?

There are indeed arrogant bonehead motorists, there are arrogant bonehead cyclists. The main difference is that bonehead cyclists aren't the ones killing two or three people each week on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You seem determined to personalise this discussion.

What is the relevance of the image posted then?

It is only you that's allowed patronise people with 'sure it's just common sense' then?

The relevance of the image is that it shows the driver cutting across the path of the cyclist.

It appears that stating facts is now “patronising”…

The image shows a car turning left.

The image shows a car driver turning left across the path of a cyclist that the driver had just passed about one second earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Advertisement

If you read my first post, that you claim was nonsense, that's exactly what I did. It doesn't matter who has the right of way, you have to cycle as if someone will do something stupid. Specifically a car coming past you with 2 seconds to a turn, you have to assume they are turning and break, no point being right in coroner's court. The OP did stop in time because they were alert.

Also you can answer the question, there is a video showing the time and distance to junction. If you were that close to the junction, would you have kept driving. There are several junctions I drive through every day in Dublin that are similar and I wouldn't. I am asking you, all the info is there in the video, if you were driving in this scenario, regardless of who has right of way, would you have continued through the junction without slowing or letting the other vehicle go through or stop.

What cyclist…. don’t see any cyclist in my image

That seemed to be the driver's problem too. Have you watched the video?

Yet the cyclist has already confirmed on thread that he saw the car coming from behind him, in his mirrors.

Assume they are turning?

Was the car not indicating a left turn?

common sense would tell you there’s a fair chance the car intends turning left.

The OP apparently stopped because that was the common sense thing to do, just like I would do, or I’m sure most sensible folk before crossing a road.

Why?

The cyclist said he saw the car in his mirrors. Why are some trying to ignore this, it is a salient point.

He saw the car coming but didn't slow down or take due care.

How is that the motorist's fault?

Because he thought he could just barrel across the road without stopping and he had the right of way, I would suggest.

Unfortunately he was wrong .

It happens, just admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabezmail

Sorry mate I'll take the arrogant "bonehead" cyclists any day and you sound just like a motorist

Eh?

Whatever point you are trying to make has me puzzled.

Apologies.

Already said I have, what’s the point of the image is what’s puzzling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabezmail

I'll try to explain it in simpler words perhaps: You seem to feel the need to defend motorists in your threads above, right?

Not right, I’m afraid, not feeling the need to “defend” any party, just interested in the truth, that’s all.

When I approach from behind a cyclist with the attention of turning left, I firstly apply indicator, slow right down, then raise my left hand to acknowledge to cyclist I’m aware of them and let them continue their path. That usually doesn’t take too much effort, and I often get a thank you wave in return.

Why on earth would I let someone else through when I have right of way?

Its the complete lack of common sense in these "arguments" that is actually just plain dangerous for cyclists.

"sure dont worry about rules of the road or right of way, the eejits in the cars will stop because..."reasons""

Have you looked at the video and would you have done the same? Would you have done the same if it was a jogger going past a driveway with headphones in? Would you have done it if it was a car crawling along in the hard shoulder?

Just to be clear, I am not saying the cyclist was in the right, I am just saying that the motorist, in this video, was in the wrong. It's not an either/or thing, they can both be at fault.

From a cyclists perspective:

The path did not end (it used to be clearly demarcated, and after some road works it has no signage at all).

The motorist approaching has seen you, is coming from behind and is slowing.

Only 2 seconds before is it clear they are not slowing to allow you to continue on what was once a continuous cycle path and now is just something with no markings.

In this time they managed to stop but judging by the driving if you were a few metres closer, they wouldn't have stopped but that is unclear. Hopefully the cyclist would have also stopped as they looked behind even if they were closer.

From the motorists perspective:

There is a bike lane beside me with a cyclist, that I should have seen 300m before hand.

It is clear we will arrive at the turn I am taking, at almost the same time.

I kept going, hopefully because I was simply not paying attention rather than some bizarre notion that my right of way trump's all.

Watch the video, barrelling is not what he done, a slow jog is the pace at best. Also stopped with a very short warning so despite my view he should have seen it coming, he was alert.

And here is the honest truth from the motorist, I was faster, I knew I'd get around before him so I went for it. It's a cold morning (frost on windows) and I'm running late (frost on windows, with patches defrosted). I'm not sure I even noticed the cyclist and even if I did, I didn't actually think about it at all. Nothing to do with right of way or anything else. It wasn't vicious, it wasn't intentional, it just didn't occur to me.

Something years of driving in multiple countries has taught me, don't attribute malice to something that can be attributed to either being self absorbed, tiredness or stupidity.

For the sake of his own safety, and that of other road users I think the OP needs to improve his knowledge of the rules of the road and show a little regard to other road users himself before immediately looking to blaming them when something like this happens.

The OP sounds like an inexperienced cyclist.

He didn't know what the keep right sign meant, he misunderstood what the broken yellow lines at the side of the road were for, and he didn't know he had to stop at the end of the path. Furthermore he says here he saw a car coming, but didn't slow down, and not five minutes before this happened he says he had another close call with a taxi driver. Coincidence or inexperience? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

again with the emotive nonsense

The driver "went for it"

The driver had it. They had right of way. Its simple, its black and white. The person with right of way has right of way, the person without it, doesn't.

The cyclist was either stupid, not paying attention or just arrogant, the driver was just legally going about their business, obeying the ROTR and processing with ROW. Anything else you add is just hand-waving and whataboutery to try to blame the motorist and excuse the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Why on earth would I let someone else through when I have right of way?

To be nice.

Bit of give and take makes the world go around.

To stop and start a bike is a nice little effort. To slow car a bit and leave a fellow human through is pretty easy.

Cyclist in the wrong. Car driver bit selfish but right.

Again, not what I said. But I am glad to see that you can admit that you think perceived right of way trump's avoiding an incident when on an internet forum.

Do I think you drive like that in real life, of course not. You said you drive in Dublin. You and I both know that ploughing on with 'right of way' at all times in Dublin would have you sending this message at a minimum with the removal of your driving license. I'd have filled up Vincent's ICU or Shankill cemetery if I carried on in all scenarios I had right of way. Some drivers will, the most common cause of fender benders on the N11 on my way home. Most of us won't because we put not being in an accident above being right.

And again, you keep flicking between common sense and right of way. Road signage actually dictates the car did not have right of way (broken yellow line), but common sense would have most of us air on the side of caution. Which one is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

While I would stay behind the cyclist and not pass them out.

This creates no confusion between the cyclist and the motorist.....that's the actual issue here

1) motorists thinks they've right of way and expects the cyclist to stop

2) cyclist thinks they've right of way and expects the motoists not to turn left as its not safe to do so

Regardless of who's right and wrong from a legal perspective, the onus here is with the motorists to ensure the safety of a vulnerable road user.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement