Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jeez, that sounds rough. Kudos for finishing. Not sure I could do that if I faltered so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

At least she's not our problem now. And we talk about the Kenyans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How did you get on yourself? Strava silence too. Or did I miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Bloody hell. Imagine having a run as good as Sinead Diver's and then this numpty troll on Boards.ie posts this libel.

Not too bad, Murph. Went to plan timewise. I wanted sub 3.30 and got 3.26. Tried to start at 5 min/kms and finish a tiny bit faster but of course did it the other way around! First 42.2k in three years, with no quality training so I'm happy overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ah pc it's yourself. Did you get bored of making soft money dishing out covid shots? Have you started seeing real patients yet or are you still too busy virtue signalling?

As you haven't taken the time yet do yourself a favour and equate Divers time to not only Irish legends but all non African women's times over the history of marathon running added to the age profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

Great achievement to finish it

Pacers seem to be a bit random. I started right at the back of the pink wave and let everyone off. Saw a couple of flags in the distance and caught them around 19/20km I think. Road was tight so had to wait until we got out of that area before passing them. I didn’t drop any pace and they caught me again around the wall but they finished just behind me. So say they did it in around 2:13 flat. Heard 2:50 pacer went through half in 1:26.

Someone beside me fell just after a km. felt for them as it looked like a bad one. It was like it was one of his club mate he clipped as a few with same tops.

I’d definitely do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Ran 3.13 myself. Went thru halfway in 1.34 (goal time 3.08) but hit the biggest wall i have ever hit in a marathon at 21 miles. Had 6 high5 gels and 2 salt tablets. Had covid 2 weeks ago so maybe something to do with it. Stuck in 3rd gear for last 5 miles and suffered on. the 3.15 pacer (3 mins ahead of pace time) went by me the last mile but then was waving everyone on at the finish. I thought the finish was epic (super crowds over the bridge). I started near the front of the pink wave and i thought the start was really crowded....roads not as wide as Berlin and what seemed like a higher quality field. Heels getting clipped frequently for the first 3 miles. Live tracking was a shambles . And bag drop messy. Other than that a great course...weather and no wind. Would definitely do it again. Back to PowerBar gels next time.

Anyone else get an email about guarantee entry into next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Wottle

Just now and signed up for both the half and full for a €103, absolute bargain.

I’m down for Dublin so will miss the half. Trying to see if I can get a free entry like I did for this year before entering. I expect so as I work for one of the sponsors. Onto the Spanish branch. This will be my target race for the year

Confirmation that we will have free entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Just signed up again.

Me too. Was thinking about it. Was half thinking of sticking to 10k/half next year but then I saw the price and all.... Pulled the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Any idea when entries will go on sale to general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

From the email (today):

As a 2022 runner, from today you have one week to register before the general public for any of the two races in either one or both of them.

That would suggest tickets are going on sale to everyone this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm planning on doing this next year, does it tend to be easy enough to get in at the €60 rate when it opens, or should I be sitting at the laptop next week ready to click?

CR, if you are talking about the full, I don't think it's starting at 60!! The early bird offer for this year's finishers was 75 or 78, I think. The first few thousand to be put up will go quickly, yeah.

• Advertisement

Ah, was it €60 last year or am I imagining things? I thought I saw that on the site a few weeks ago, showing the different rates. Either way, I'll be there waiting at 8am whichever day it opens!

Edit: Just saw this actually; The first tranche of 10,000 available numbers will start with an initial price of €70 , which will change to €100 in the second tranche of 10,000, and a third tranche of 10,000 seats to €130 . The last 3,000 numbers will cost €150

And it says it opens on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Can I please get some opinions? Which one would you run next year, Berlin or Valencia? I ran Berlin this year, and didn't get in via the ballot, so it's a tour operator. Valencia gets a lot of positive feedback, so it seems like a great alternative.

I've run both and there's not much between them. Both have an epic finish and flat as a pancake course.

Valencia has bottled water, Berlin cups (I think).

Less turns perhaps in Berlin and a wider start.

I'm back in for Valencia 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Thanks for that, I suppose it's down to personal preference. Berlin is brilliant but yes those water stations with cups are carnage

Anyone know if there's somewhere you can see placings at each 5k chip mat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

What about Valencia v Seville - any comparisons. (both Marathon & City)

Thinking strongly for Valencia 2023.

Valencia is a faster course for sure. I loved Seville, both have a similar atmosphere and crowd support.

It definitely got warmer in the latter stages of Seville. In Valencia I barely noticed a move in temps, possibly the cloud cover, so not sure of the pattern.

Both are beautiful cities, Seville seems more historic, Valencia seemed busier and a little futuristic.

I'm signed up for both next year, decided not to do Amsterdam, Spain is where its at!

If you enjoyed Seville, you'll love Valencia

One other note, Seville you were into your running stride early on, I found Valencia a little more congested and for longer than perhaps one would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Still licking my wounds.

On reflection, I probably got a mild cold virus in the days leading to it (not Covid as test negative): night sweats, sore body, elevated Garmin Rest Heart Rate, very poor sleep, slight headache etc.

I am not sure what I could have done differently except perhaps wear a mask religiously in the couple of weeks leading up to the race.

Back at it next week, probably training in a warm gym.

Not signing up for anything new yet: but the more I travel for a big race the more I look forward to a local one, so Limerick and Cork are on my radar.

In the meantime, I only have Donadea 50k on the 11th of February to worry about!

I’m on the start line. it’ll be May before we get our free entries but València will refund me if I get a code then. Better safe than sorry

• Advertisement

I'm in for 2023 anyway, joined the queue early and got into the second tier for €100. I picked the 2:38-2:50 start wave, but only have a recent half time for them to verify so hopefully that'll be grand. I'm planning to have another marathon time (probably Cork) before next December too.

Advertisement