Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options
  • 04-12-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭

Forecast chat thread for this, hopefully, event

Ok I'll give it a go! It's a marginal situation, a lot of uncertainty and specifics would be a bit too unwise right now but lets get the ball rolling!

What is for sure...

Main points:

• Turning colder from the north
    • Night time frost and icy patches
    • Some wintry falls and some snow
    • Could be beginning of longer period of much colder weather

Possible warning level - Snow - Yellow

From Tuesday night on turning notably colder with some wintry showers especially near windward coasts in the north and northwest and, at times, along Atlantic coasts and the southwest. Later, toward the weekend, the higher risk may extend to the east coast.

In terms of snow potential - over 200 meters is a good bet but to lower levels at times too with a more organised band of showers moving south some time Thursday night/Friday morning which could leave a couple of centimeters just about anywhere.

Mostly at low levels the showers will be a messy mix of rain/sleet/snow but inland spots always the better chance of seeing snowfall.

Temperatures:

From Wednesday onward daytime temperatures really struggle above freezing to around 2 or 3c max away from immediate windward coasts of the north/northwest/west/southwest but anywhere snow accumulates staying around freezing for daylight hours. On windward coasts 4 - 6c max.

Night time minima from Wednesday onward inland, particularly the southeast, down to -3 or -4c but that depends on cloud cover as well as there will be showers moving through at times. Between 0 and -2c will be the normal widespread night time minima.

Frost and ice will be slow to clear during daylight hours and in sheltered spots may see out the days in the second half of the week.

There is a lot of uncertainty because of the synoptic situation later next week when we will be near centers of low pressure from time to time making wind direction quite variable and this impacts depending on the direction. It will stay very cold throughout with wintry showers but for snow it's really narrow margins for the second half of the week for low elevations.

The big question right now is whether this is a blip or part of a much longer period of deeper cold weather maybe the following week. The synoptic situation is unusual and there every chance of sharper cold weather later on.

We need to wait and see how things unfold but I'll be updating the thread as things become clearer.

Apologies can't be more accurate just yet but it will be exciting watching it developing or crash all the same! 😀

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Needs work on the title

• Registered Users Posts: 27 3mom4

Yay! Kermit is back and a thread is going 😁 Game on 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

No matter what the outcome it certainly is a very intersting time for watching this unfold.

Thanks Kermit and to everyone elses knowledgeable input to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

Will this be like 2010 or 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I need to bring my mother's cat to the vet everyday next week .. should I cancel it .. the vet also has to fly in daily from abroad will his flight be disrupted??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Are you driving from Inisturk to Dublin airport? If so make sure it's not one of the days you have to put the wheelie bins out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What I've mostly been reading is for cold muck.. I'm not really expecting any snowscapes. Not where I am anyway in North Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

UKMO, GEM, GFS, ICON all indicate a continuation of the cold spell beyond next weekend.

The latest ECM is very similar to the 0z output.

Cold air flooding south by Wednesday.

Friday below.

The low emanating from west of the Azores is still an issue and briefly introduces a much milder airmass late on Monday through Wednesday with a likely return to colder weather thereafter.

Pressure chart animation below.

Summary

It will be bitterly cold Wednesday through to weekend . The track and intensity of the Azores low as well as subtle changes in the Greenland blocking high will dictate the longevity of the cold spell. The ECM is on its own with this afternoon's model output but it has been rather consistent on the path of that LP system.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Neither, and if you live on the immediate coast in the northwest, west or southwest its a non event.

Inland though it will feel bitter and wintry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I bet graupel will be common along east coast like it was in previous cold spells. Probably a mixture of snow and graupel showers for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Even as recently as 2020, we had had our first dustings by this stage of the month:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Latest GFS has very little in the way of precipitation for Dublin and the east in general, we may get a dusting at some point. The projections for snow has diminished a lot since yesterday. Still time for this to change to something more favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

From a west coastal standpoint this looks to me like just a bit of a cold spell. Nothing that spectacular even and I’m expecting cold rain. I still think this is a regular cold Shiel with a a few acute showers that is getting turned into Emmma 2.0 in the minds of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Another damp squid on the way. Teachers will want the schools closed. Sun is shining in my garden.... etc etc etc

Edit for the benefit of the humourless : squib was purposefully spelt wrong. Jeez.

Post edited by Crocodile Booze on

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Ecm clusters show that the operational run was out on its own with the mild surge so a correction in the 0z run is likely.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very seasonal and cold week ahead! Much much different to recent Decembers and it always feels that bit more special this side of Christmas.

Take it as a bonus if you get some snowfall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Game on, too early to nail on the details but Thursday onwards looks like greatest potential.

Probably Tuesday before we can start speculation on where and when gets the sneachta (hopefully).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Looks like a cold spell for most. Maybe some snow in favoured locations. Not getting excited about it but still, its nice to get some normal winter weather. Better than mild muck from the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Met Eireann giving the north and north west the best case for snow in the next 3-4 days. After that mentions wintry showers but no location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

12z ECM still tracking the subtropical origin low across Ireland and Britain on day 10 but GFS swats it away. However even the ECM solution looks like a 1-2 day interruption and reload. Duration of cold ??? at this point. Coldest uppers appear to be Thursday -Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

On Tuesday we were told -5 Friday and Saturday. Coming from the East.

It was +8

Weather predictions my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah here, if people are going to use the phrase, at least get it right.

Damp squib.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Interesting to see the 18z ICON moving toward the establishment of an easterly/north-easterly flow by Saturday with the trough sinking south. It's something that's there in the background as a decent possibility but we'd need more models on board sooner rather than later. All depends on a smashed up jet stream playing ball.

Ordinarily the Jet Stream is one main ribbon of air (with a smaller southern arm) well defined pointing like a vindictive finger towards our shores which normally brings us our angry Atlantic systems.

On that note spare a thought for anyone who's booked a holiday to Portuguese or Spanish beaches the next couple of weeks, they will be getting our more traditional type weather for this time of year for a while.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We are in an easterly now, and it's pissing rain.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement