Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No ice day for me anyway, temperature gone positive again.

Safe to go outside now 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

I based in Clondalkin and didn't notice any ice on the car or else where this morning and I left the house before 8:00am, but I'm not looking forward to having to clear the car off in the bitter cold.

In relation to extreme colds and possible snow, I think it's safe to say as soon as Met Eireann start ramping it up, you can be sure it'll be a damp squib! It's like the Jinx it for us 🙄

@optogirl there you go 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Squib people, damp squib. All squids are, by nature, damp. Sorry to be pedantic pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Calamari can be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Very glad you said that 😆 - was bugging me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is a squib anyway?

beautiful day in Carlow. Not that cold yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Clondalkin here and there was a thin sheet of ice on the windscreen of my car this morning at 9:00am when I went out. Car is in the shade to so that helped i guess

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

damp squib (plural damp squibs) (literally) A firework that has been wet and therefore fails to go off correctly. (idiomatic, by extension) Anything that doesn't work properly, or fails to come up to expectations; a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭prosaic

Dry squid kind of day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It will be interesting to see if the ECM or ARPEGE is right on this tomorrow night, the short distance between the two could make a lot of difference in Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

3 Degress in North Kildare. Just a normal winters day. I think it might hit lows of 2 degrees later this evening. The anticipation is killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The truth is its not normal for Ireland. We rarely get sub 7 all winter.

No idea why people bother posting in here only to moan when there's something outside the norm happening. Just leave the place to people who have an interest in following the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has gone very dark . Bright sun a few minutes ago ..bitterly cold. And very still and silent.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Indeed, most squid are damp. Perhaps they're referring to the elusive Pedantic Squid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another absolutely gorgeous day. Long may it continue. Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think you're bang off the money fella. We have been reading in the media and listening to met eireann / rte building this up. I'm prefectly entitled to highlight the fact that this weather is nothing out of the ordinary or extreme. I think that needs to be done in fact. When media or met eireann start scare mongering they need to be conscious of the fact that it can have a very negative impact on some people.

I get that there are posters on here who hang on every word Evelyn says and want to believe we are facing Arctic like conditions for their own amusement but their opinions are no more relevant than mine or anyone else who is a bit more realistic about the weather and actually lives on planet earth.

It's been pointed out before that issuing storm warnings when the weather is a little bit bad will make people switch off to them when the really strong storms hit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Gusser09 OK. Point made/noted. Can we move on with less of the repetitive cynical/smart (arse) posts. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The problem seems to be that only one type of “following the weather” is truly tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Freezing in the office today. Its only 5c outside doesn't feel that much warmer inside. At least I am working from home for the rest of the week so I cover myself in a duvet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not the case. It's not what people post is the issue, it's how people post it is usually the issue. This is not After Hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭feargantae

Still some frost about here in Kerry South. It felt very cold this morning but now the sun is out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Shower of sleet atm

If you just come in on a whim and dump onto a thread, incorrectly I might add. Historical temps prove this IS unusual weather for Ireland. Then dont be surprised if you get told off.

It would be like me randomly going into a basketball thread and claiming to know more about a game than the posters who actually follow the sport.

You can be of the opinion that the current temps are no big deal, that's fine. But you're categorically wrong to claim they're the norm on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pauldry

That damp squid squib thing came up during the last cold spell we had. Maybe its a sign of the cold when ya can't tell yer bs from your ds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Traffic cams in north east Scotland showing the start of heavy snowfalls. That snow system doesn't look like it'll make it any further than north west Ireland, at best. At least it's the start of the cold front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sun setting behind the Sliabh Mish Mt's Kerry

5C approx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Also there is at any time a wide range of differing weather conditions across Ireland, eg what is happening in Dublin is going to differ radically from remote West coastal or even island locations. At one time we were asked to state our locations when we posted. ie there is no such thing as THE WEATHER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

So.....? The morning lads? Thursday morning. Is it locked in yet? I'm in Dublin but don't know whether to make a journey in the morning? I can put it off but, if the roads are fine I can do it. What's the craic lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Is weather forecasting really a science when it is so inexact and unpredictable? Would this entire forum be better off in recreation and hobbies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Well, yes. A forecast is effectively a hypothesis based on collected data to estimate an outcome. Science isn't exact, it's full of hypotheses where the outcome will never be 100% certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Likely to be slippery icy back roads, doesn't look likely to be any snow or precip at all in Dublin until next week now (slight chance of some light sleet on Thursday night), treated roads should be fine. Would leave the trip to after sunrise if possible.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,392 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A squib is another name for a banger especially around Cavan and Monaghan.. You know the ones where you light the fuse and wait for the bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,392 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope we have another day like that tomorrow and for several weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

So what's unusual about the current weather exactly?

I defrosted my car this morning, same as I've done countless times during an Irish winter before.

It all felt perfectly normal to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen a frost during winter since 2019. We had a frost last night and more than likely a frost every night over the next 7 to 10 days at least with frost lingering in the shade throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing.

The low temperature warning does not kick in until 22.00 tomorrow 8th Dec.

Do keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This is on tonight to get you in the mood. It's also on youtube.

https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-ubho4s/winterwatch-1963-the-big-freeze/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I too see nothing unusual for around here in the next week. The lowest will be -3. Personally I think it's being hyped but I can't see why.

Today was 1c but pleasant sunshine and no wind chill. Tomorrow seems to be heading towards 2c and clear skies. Windchill may leave it feeling -2 but it's the second week in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There is a dusting of snow on the Bluestacks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Around Killarney and car reading -1C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And that warning is for down to -4 in just some areas. In some parts of the country it'll not go below an overnight of -3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

High of 3.7c today at my station, nice crisp day with lots of sunshine.

The world cup is not unusual to me, I can remember watching it plenty of times, perfectly normal to me. Does that mean it's on every year? Should the soccer Forum refrain from having a thread to discuss it?

The low temps and general weather patterm we're going to experience over the next week are not the norm for the island. That's a fact regardless of your opinion.

So on the weather forum, weather enthusiasts have created a thread to discuss that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AWS Reports a max of 4.8c today across southern Laois. Pretty much uninterrupted sunshine all day.

Frost never thawed in the shade. In fact, it seemed to whiten up more throughout the day.

Freezing out there again with what grass thawed firmly frozen again. 0c.

My anemometer cable was damaged yesterday morning and I'm working on fixing it this evening. Hopefully the direction issue will be fix-able too. It had been píssing me off the last few weeks/months, coming and going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And what aspect of it will be unusual for Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Temp of 5.1c at my Waterford City station with a current Temp of 1.8c. See very little if any Wintry falls in these parts in the coming days. Still nice to have some sunny,cold and dry conditions after such a wet Autumn. Winter has only just begun after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice RTE weather forecast. I'd say there will be reports of wintry showers tomorrow and Friday.

Hello lamppost what you knowin...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement