Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Ok, I see many a response to this question, it was just a question thanks for the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

Seriously, we’re not talking about a severe freeze here. You’d swear this was the first time the country experienced a bit of frost by how things are going. Yeah it’ll be cold and we’ll get arctic air. Right now it’ll be potentially gone by next week. It’s nothing you wouldn’t ordinarily get this time of year. We just haven’t had this kind of scenario in a few years but we’ve had plenty of frosty spells before. The country won’t be snowlocked and, in the main it’ll be dry and cold. It’s probably the best type of scenario for cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'm not seeing any crazy ramping going on.. we're just discussing it..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Considering the mild winters we've had previously even this non-event is an event and should be enjoyed. It's exciting as it's a break from the boring wet, windy, mild winters we've had lately.

I don't think anyone here is expecting a beast from the east or Snowmaggedon, seasonal cold is enough at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're right, it's the build up that is the best bit.

And also, winter weather is incredibly beautiful. The dry bright fresh days are a joy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I think even without widespread snow it is going to be exceptional in a relative sense for the amount of consecutive days of hard frost. This is looking now like some parts of the country remaining below freezing in the day time for several days in the next fortnight. In my lifetime and I am over 40 this counts as very exceptional in Ireland. Ponds and water bodies will begin to freeze and the frost will penetrate very deeply. Roads will be treacherous and there will be challenges for some. I do think it is exceptional what is looming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking forward to some cold and frost, at least it will be seasonal but anyone expecting measurable snow is in for a big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Already done here.. Just in case.. Out here winter winds can cut us off. As well as white wintry precipitation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DUPLICATE POST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It also improves morale at a time of year when it's half dark during the very short days when it's cloudy or raining mostly.

People can get out and doa few jobs around outside, or go for a walk or cycle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Met Eireann ......... RED RED RED ALERT !!!!! Check on neighbours ...... Dont spare your oil ....

Reality

"weather can be notoriously hard to forecast ....... "

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Augme

Well given the cold weather isn't due until Wednesday evening its probably too early to make that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm supposed to be heading to West Of Ireland on Thursday evening...should I cancel my plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Uk met have released a third level warning for Cold Weather , we may not get snow but I’d take the cold and dry weather over that boring Atlantic crap !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

0 and below ground temps from the end of the week will make for some exceptional lasting frosts, while temps struggle to get much above freezing during daylight hours. Add in the chance for a bit of snow.. It makes for a nice change from the atlantic wind and rain we have endured through the autumn. Things can always get an upgrade in the longer term too.

Great place to be at the start of Winter.. if seasonal weather is your preference. It is very much 'Game on' this winter. This may only be the first little bite of what is to come.

No absolutely not just use caution when driving if there is over-night frost or ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Just pack blankets, a torch, charge the power bank for your phone, bring a hot flask of water for tea, a cooking stove for melting snow and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That sounds a tad extreme...do you think it's going to be that bad. Think I'll pass on travelling not worth the risk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

In my opinion In terms of snowfall. Northern counties and parts of Northern Connacht look best placed this week. Not expecting anything out of ordinary.

Hit and miss as always with showers. A dusting up to 5cm for favoured spots. Localised spots under streamers with a bit of elevation better again. Looks mostly dry for most. A yellow snow/ice warning probably issued on Wednesday.

Still time for upgrades and downgrades. With the warmer than average sea temperatures, showers may last a bit longer further inland than they normally would so maybe a surprise or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ctomas

I think we need a daily update here, perhaps a spinoff thread? The world is waiting to hear..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Most of us would have taken this forecast from Met in the first week of December.

Wednesday night: Bitterly cold with temperatures falling below zero degrees countrywide and as low as -3 or -4 degrees in some places. There will be a widespread sharp to severe frost and ice on untreated surfaces. Showers will move southwards over the country overnight and will fall as sleet or snow in some areas. 

Thursday: Very cold with temperatures remaining in low single figures. A mix of sunny spells and well scattered showers of sleet, snow and hail. The showers will become mainly confined to coastal parts of the northwest, north and east as the day goes on. Winds will be light and come from the north.

Thursday night: Another bitterly cold night with a widespread sharp to severe frost and icy stretches. Minimum temperatures of -4 to -2 degrees in a light north to northwest wind. Most areas will be dry and clear but there will be wintry showers at times near the coast.

Friday: Staying very cold with temperatures remaining in low single figures. Mostly dry with sunny spells, but wintry showers will persist near coasts, especially in the north.

Further outlook: Little change expected for the weekend; staying very cold with some wintry showers and widespread frost by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I personally think people need to look at the wider picture, this is a cold spell, in December. It gets dark at around 4pm so the Max tempertures for the day won't be around for long, unlike the cold spells we usually get later in the year. Black ice and more are likely so I am all for advertising that it will be cold if it means people take more caution.

Doesn't look like it'll snow much away from the North probably, but I am just looking forward to a period of seasonal weather, without rain, where I can actually plan to go for a walk without getting soaked as has been the case for the last two months :P Allows for the land to dry out as well, which it badly needs.

All in all, even if its not looking as cold as it did last week, if we hadn't seen those charts and were only getting what we are getting now we would be excited. So we can say "It's not 2010, its not 2018, its not looking good!!" all we like... it is still a period of weather that is rare for December in this country which the graph below shows. Red line is the 30 year average, and we are quite a bit below that.

So lets all take a chill pill, expect the worst of possibly 3-4 degree temps, and be happy if something does happen!

I thought the beast from the east was bad enough but someone just shared a headline from the DM on twitter “Brace for the Troll from Trondheim” A new low.

All click bait BS as usual.

I think people need to let the Beast from the Est go, it really was an once in a lifetime event but outside of the weather forum most people love a headline and will fall for the clickbait time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The Met E hype fed media is starting. Mother fretting about us having enough oil and will we be snow bound in the run up to Christmas and I'm like 'Christ Almighty it's a few frosty days with some light snow in places'. We are on the coast. We will see no snow in this part of Donegal.

I did tell her however that yes it will feel raw when we get home Wednesday night compared to the pleasant night time temps of 18°C we have had in Lanzorote.

Met Éireann's Head of Forecasting has said ground temperatures "may hit minus 6C or minus 7C" later this week and that northern areas can expect snow on Wednesday night as the country experiences a cold snap this week.

"Wednesday night we will get some precipitation, so Donegal likely to get snow on Wednesday night," Ms Cusack said.

"Northern Ireland, Cavan, Monaghan, maybe parts of Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo, but the precipitation dying out so it's unlikely to get to Dublin, Cork or Galway.

"Over the northern areas there will definitely be some snow on Wednesday night and then that will freeze over."

Ms Cusack said Ireland has not experienced such temperatures for three years, branding it a "winter spell".

"We are likely as we get closer to Thursday and Friday, perhaps be issuing low temperature warnings," she said, adding that given the past few "very mild" winters, this one would be "a shock".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A lovely set of ensembles for 850hPa temps for around Carlow, some real wintry weather coming and lasting into the weekend. Very little precipitation showing but harder for models to pick up small changes that impact that. Really not expecting much snow away from Northern areas that could see a nice covering Thursday but the longer the cold continues the better the chance of snow developing.

I think the main messages for the general public is prepare for some real cold weather like we haven't seen in a few years but nothing we haven't seen before and don't expect much snow, the only real issue is the cost of heating homes for vulnerable and elderly. Most years we had this kind of cold many people just kept the heating on but this year that will be hard for many and especially this time of year with very little thaw by day from Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement