Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

Thanks 👍️

Can you link me to where you found that out, I couldn't find it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fair Usage Cap on Free Energy units – there is a Fair Usage Cap on the monthly allowance of Free Energy units. This cap is set at 100kWh. Any excess units used above 100kWh will be charged at the Saturday or Sunday Day unit rate.

from the T+C

Free Time Sat_Sun - Oct21.pdf (kc-usercontent.com)

(It's 100kWh per month not per billing cycle actually.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

Thanks, but that is Bord Gais, I'm with Electric Ireland.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

so back thinking about smart plans.. annual metered export (~2500kW) vs deemed export (6.7kwp > ~€290), would it be worth exiting Energia's market leading 8c night rate.. etc etc 😵... (I must enjoy this financial masochism!)

at the mo, just think best to wait until the whole market settles down

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭JayBee66

For anyone in a rural location, here is my current spreadsheet for comparing most but not all rural smart rates using my usage data from April to December 2023. Before then I wasn't gathering individual day, night and peak usage.

The data is based on staying with SSE or going to another supplier at a "preferential" rate so you might get a better deal if moving to SSE.

Although I include an "EV rate" I do not factor it into my calculations as I only have a 5KW battery, which makes up a small part of my grid import.

The pay-off for me changing from SSE to Energia is small enough to not warrant the bother.

Newcomer, Yuno, is not attractive for rural households because of standing charge and woeful FIT payment.

NB - All tariffs assume smart metering.

Post edited by JayBee66 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Double check the standing charge for the flogas smart rural, I think it's 280ish.

I was using the smart meter tariffs, which have a cheaper standing charge.

257.38 compared to smart 237.22

If you add DN in there for comparison too. (Eugh standing charge for that though)

You are correct. The urban/rural toggle switch didn't toggle after clicking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am on a non smart tariff with EI (10% discount) which is due to end soon. I recently had a smart meter fitted for export purposes. Currently paying 0.3816c day and 0.1882c night.

Any views on switching? Should I be on a smart tariff? No EV and cannot see one for some time.

• Advertisement

Flogas fixed is currently 30ish day and 15.something night, High standing charge though. 20c export (DayNight not smart)

Count up through your bills for you day use, night use, Might help in figuring out the best plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If you want you can switch for free to EI night boost. You get a 2 hour window at 10cent. Worth it to me to stay with ei thru winter... And evaluate best option when my contract ends in june. I use 60% at least of night time use tho, and tbh gov grant will cover my winter bills before solar panels kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭DC999

Once you go to a smart tariff, you can never go back to a 24hr one afaik - people have said that repeatedly here.

As Graeme says, check the usage. The smart meter shows night, day, peak usage on the meter. Welcome to Working in Channels | Slack (youtube.com)

Even if you don’t have an EV, it could be worth it if you can load shift a fair % to that night rate. Immersion, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer… Charge house battery of course if you have one.

Will use about 5-7kWh ish if all 3 of these ran (ok, depends on the temp and setting selected so on) - dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer. I don’t use the immersion so don’t know the kWh it needs. Depends on size of tank and amount of water you use of course.

No rush deciding as you can monitor the stats on the smart meter anyway. Move stuff to night time and then see if the stats change much and it's then cost effective. You'll need to do some excel probably to cross check it

Yes it is. I had to wait 30 days after the meter swap, got the welcome email and called to make the tariff change.

Can I ask what are the downsides to going on a smart tariff?

Imho its only bad if you cant find a rate that is cheaper that your standard tariff.... And you dont export anything to the grid. Non smart dont get fit anymore.

There was a fear that smart tariffs would be used to gouge us... High peak rates at dinner times when people have to use electricity.

If you can some small habit changes shifting loads to cheaper times then they can be great. If you cant shift maybe The standard non smart is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭con747

The smart meter seems to be benefiting those who can pump as much into EV's and batteries in a night rate window on a cheap rate and either use it or dump it back for profit if they can during the day. If you had a very big battery it might be of use with no EV. The bottom line though is work out when you use the most and go through the available plans to work it out.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭DC999

To clarify, a 24-hour non smart-meter doesn't get FIT anymore. But once you've a smart meter you get FIT (with the usual NC6 submitted to ESB of course). As in you don't need to be on a smart tariff on the smart meter. You can be on a 24hour tariff on the smart meter and get FIT. That was a little confusing for me at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Correct, you don't need to be on a smart tariff to get FIT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement