Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This is starting to look like trying to get health insurance. Deliberately confusing rates to baffle the customer.

Good deal bad deal who the fuxk has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

.. whoops wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

so with Energia announcing their 0.1962 CEG rate, I halfheartedly started looking into smart rates again, and once again I'm flabbergasted & disgusted by their behaviour, and also how the 'regulation' is woefully inadequate or plain absent. is there any supplier not taking the piss re. smart rates?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

I dont see any suppliers making a move, theres only a small amount of people with significant solar pv installed who are basing their supplier on getting a decent night rate. they will need to be pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭zoom_cool

I am currently getting a new electric connection to a house I am renovating.I have a EV so was interested in Bord Gais EV tariff with discount count it was coming in at 5.4 cent per unit for 3 hour window. I am also thinking of loading a powewall battery during same window to maximize the window when the guy from Bord Gais went to sign me up to the tariff he couldn't because he said the smart meter wouldn't have good enough data signal so I can't avail of any smart tariff is this the norm what is the point then of the smart meter. My phone can get decent signal and the house is only 3km from a big enough town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The smart meters have different levels of communication and rely on the old 2g network. How long since you had your smart meter installed?

I think you need to be on CFT 03 to avail of the smart plans which takes 25+ days of submitting data to confirm. (Communications Technically Feasible)

Also I was looking at that rate with Bord Gais the standing charge is over €400 for electricity so trying to work out if it will be value for money. On duel fuel the gas unit rate is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭zoom_cool

Does the CFT value effect the ability to ready for FIT units?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Agree on Bonkers.ie - is not clear and does not show this - rates have changed (I presume because of the constant price increases), but based on my usage over a 12 month period it's still the best I can do

Switcher.ie does not even review smart plans!

think this is the best on offer (happy to be corrected if a better deal out there),

Plan would be to load up the EV on Sun and anything else I can put on the like the wash machine, hot water, electric oven for the roast on a Sun :)

46%/10%/44% is my day/peak/night historical usage and if I move to the BG plan below then 1/7th of this will be mostly "free" if I load up on Sun

night rate not the worst either

was automatically moved from Iberdrola to EI and of course they put us all on std or highest rate so got a nice lecky bill in this week

even more frustrating was we could not move to another provider until Sept 1st 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Is there a monthly cap on how much you can use on your free day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭KildareP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

First Post! 👋

We have solar PV fitted back in June, only 3.5kWp due to space limitations but summer has provided us with a lot of free leccy and the turning off of the oil boiler since apart from maybe three times when guests were here.

We just changed our contract with Electric Ireland (we're stuck with them for 2 years from May 2022) to Free Weekender which does mean having to do all our major electrically powered jobs on a Saturday, but we decided it could work for us.

Its only 8am to 11pm, but I've set Eddi to heat the immersion all day while we do all the washing, ironing, tumble drying, bread-making, batch cooking for the following week and also heat the house in winter using electricity on Saturdays (I can even do a bit of playing with the central heating switch to circulate the immersion hot water around the radiators). They do say that if we use too much, they reserve the right to move us to another tariff, but there does not appear to be a set numbered limit. Last Saturday (our first on the new tariff) the load was 30 units, but we generated 21 however we weren't going mad. This will definitely be more useful in winter and when we get our act together a bit more.

It's not perfect, nothing is, but we've got to do what we think is right at the time don't we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I bought a few hundred liters yesterday at about 1.40~ a liter. Based on my rough math (divide that by 8) and i get .17 per KW to heat up water with my oil burner. So my strategy is to switch BACK to oil for winter daytime, probably when the clocks shift.

For now - im only boosting eddi off of night rate and whatever the solar excess generates daily. but that excess will disappear in october for sure.

I'm dreading buying oil! My last purchase was at €250 for 500L, its now €5 away from €700.

Yes, I will only be heating electrically on my free Saturday. The rest of the time I guess Eddi will just supplement the hot water tank with any daytime excess. I am going to wire Eddie's second output to a 13 Amp socket so that I can plug in a convector heater placed in the lounge, any excess will then heat the lounge, but I'm not expecting much from that unless its a particularly sunny winter's day.

fyi

https://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend

handy site that I check regularly to track heating oil prices (average or lowest) and check quotes per county

back on topic..... 😄

haven't used the boiler since late March so hope it'll fire up ok without a service! needless to say, I 👍 my Eddi!

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

There's always something isn't there 😂

I've got someone supposedly coming to service mine for winter. I suppose its worth it. Last time he removed a family of mice from the back. Why should they get my heat for free! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Well i didn't think the percentage with smart meters and not on smart plans was this high. I am one of the 96%.

With the media involved now i expect movement. However the cru are also involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

2 main reasons I think for the lack of uptake

First people don't know their usage to know if smart plan could work for them, why is the information gathered by the smart meter only available after signing up for smart plan, the electricity companies didn't pay for them esb networks should have a portal where anyone can login and see their usage, we should be able to see our usage before having to sign up for a smart plan to let us analyse it.

Second the smart plans are too much stick and not enough carrot, If you are going to charge people a premium for energy when they most need/want it you really need to charge them a decent amount less at low demand times, not a big enough carrot to tempt most people over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I'm new to this. Getting solar installed shortly. I have a smart meter. I am finding the complexity (and extra charges) with the smart tariffs perplexing. Also, I cannot simply use Bonkers.ie because it does not factor in FIT.

I realise that I can read the FIT places like here (https://www.purevolt.ie/domestic-solar/feed-in-tariffs.php) and then look up the smart tariffs that each company offers but this is not straight forward.

Hence, just wondering which smart tariff, have solar users here gone for? and why? I am a low electricity and gas user.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is an absolute key point - give people the detailed usage breakdown from their smart meters NOW to help people to make sensible judgements about conserving power and choosing tarrifs.

Thanks 👍️

Can you link me to where you found that out, I couldn't find it. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fair Usage Cap on Free Energy units – there is a Fair Usage Cap on the monthly allowance of Free Energy units. This cap is set at 100kWh. Any excess units used above 100kWh will be charged at the Saturday or Sunday Day unit rate.

from the T+C

Free Time Sat_Sun - Oct21.pdf (kc-usercontent.com)

(It's 100kWh per month not per billing cycle actually.)

Thanks, but that is Bord Gais, I'm with Electric Ireland.......

so back thinking about smart plans.. annual metered export (~2500kW) vs deemed export (6.7kwp > ~€290), would it be worth exiting Energia's market leading 8c night rate.. etc etc 😵... (I must enjoy this financial masochism!)

at the mo, just think best to wait until the whole market settles down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭JayBee66

For anyone in a rural location, here is my current spreadsheet for comparing most but not all rural smart rates using my usage data from April to December 2023. Before then I wasn't gathering individual day, night and peak usage.

The data is based on staying with SSE or going to another supplier at a "preferential" rate so you might get a better deal if moving to SSE.

Although I include an "EV rate" I do not factor it into my calculations as I only have a 5KW battery, which makes up a small part of my grid import.

The pay-off for me changing from SSE to Energia is small enough to not warrant the bother.

Newcomer, Yuno, is not attractive for rural households because of standing charge and woeful FIT payment.

NB - All tariffs assume smart metering.

Post edited by JayBee66 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Double check the standing charge for the flogas smart rural, I think it's 280ish.

I was using the smart meter tariffs, which have a cheaper standing charge.

257.38 compared to smart 237.22

If you add DN in there for comparison too. (Eugh standing charge for that though)

You are correct. The urban/rural toggle switch didn't toggle after clicking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am on a non smart tariff with EI (10% discount) which is due to end soon. I recently had a smart meter fitted for export purposes. Currently paying 0.3816c day and 0.1882c night.

Any views on switching? Should I be on a smart tariff? No EV and cannot see one for some time.

• Advertisement

Flogas fixed is currently 30ish day and 15.something night, High standing charge though. 20c export (DayNight not smart)

Count up through your bills for you day use, night use, Might help in figuring out the best plan

If you want you can switch for free to EI night boost. You get a 2 hour window at 10cent. Worth it to me to stay with ei thru winter... And evaluate best option when my contract ends in june. I use 60% at least of night time use tho, and tbh gov grant will cover my winter bills before solar panels kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

Once you go to a smart tariff, you can never go back to a 24hr one afaik - people have said that repeatedly here.

As Graeme says, check the usage. The smart meter shows night, day, peak usage on the meter. Welcome to Working in Channels | Slack (youtube.com)

Even if you don’t have an EV, it could be worth it if you can load shift a fair % to that night rate. Immersion, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer… Charge house battery of course if you have one.

Will use about 5-7kWh ish if all 3 of these ran (ok, depends on the temp and setting selected so on) - dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer. I don’t use the immersion so don’t know the kWh it needs. Depends on size of tank and amount of water you use of course.

No rush deciding as you can monitor the stats on the smart meter anyway. Move stuff to night time and then see if the stats change much and it's then cost effective. You'll need to do some excel probably to cross check it

Yes it is. I had to wait 30 days after the meter swap, got the welcome email and called to make the tariff change.

Can I ask what are the downsides to going on a smart tariff?

Imho its only bad if you cant find a rate that is cheaper that your standard tariff.... And you dont export anything to the grid. Non smart dont get fit anymore.

There was a fear that smart tariffs would be used to gouge us... High peak rates at dinner times when people have to use electricity.

If you can some small habit changes shifting loads to cheaper times then they can be great. If you cant shift maybe The standard non smart is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭con747

The smart meter seems to be benefiting those who can pump as much into EV's and batteries in a night rate window on a cheap rate and either use it or dump it back for profit if they can during the day. If you had a very big battery it might be of use with no EV. The bottom line though is work out when you use the most and go through the available plans to work it out.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

To clarify, a 24-hour non smart-meter doesn't get FIT anymore. But once you've a smart meter you get FIT (with the usual NC6 submitted to ESB of course). As in you don't need to be on a smart tariff on the smart meter. You can be on a 24hour tariff on the smart meter and get FIT. That was a little confusing for me at the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Correct, you don't need to be on a smart tariff to get FIT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement