Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

. I think it's also the first year Seb didn't get a podium could be wrong.

You are, no podium in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Wasn’t his podium last year taken away with a penalty after the race too?

One of them, his Azerbaijan one, I think, still counts.

Edit: Yep. Finished second in Hungary but couldn't get a fuel sample and was disqualified, had finished second in Baku earlier anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hamilton vs Russell is an interesting teammate battle. The multiple world champion vs the up and coming potential star. What's not interesting about that?

Russell beating Hamilton this year was interesting. If Hamilton can beat Russell next year, that would be amazing at this stage in his career. It's just an interesting intra team battle. Don't read too much into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Cannot say "what a season after that" . Max and Redbull reign was supreme . It was interesting to watch Ferrari be themelves and watch Mercedes dig themselves out of a hole and actually appear to get competitive as the season went on . I enjoyed alot of races this season but it was down on the tension from last year . (< this part might have been a good thing)

While Max🤴 dominated the Drivers Championship , on a whole over the season I am starting to think Lando Norris was the second best driver all season. Carried a team really on his own , no offence or abuse directed at Danny Ric but Lando somehow always had him self towards the front . Mclaren need to take a step forward properly next year. Others will come looking for him .

Alpine/Renault had a good season in the end. I know Alonso had a lot of car problems oddly I am wondering if his driving style has something to do with it, this isn't the first team that he has gathered DNF's .I think he has the Most DNF of the hybrid era . Maybe the Mercedes powered Aston is more robust for what ever keeps happening him . Ocon is fast may be can lead a team .Gasly will have his work cut out.

Aston Did barely ok over the season, it was a big risk to change cars completely after 6 races , and 18 top ten finishes from the drivers was a decent return in the end. Unlucky not to get P6 from Alfa in the end. ( seb had 10 tops I think and stroll 8)

Alfa Did ok as well , Zhou seems like a decent driver and with a good season under his belt he and Bottas should be good for next season points finishes .

At a glance next year and 24 races , too many street circuits. They might be fun I could be wrong ( would prefer if I was wrong ) but It is a lot to ask from teams with budget caps and just time an energy . always felt 20 was the absolute max F1 should be running .

as always done posting for year see ye March 3rd 2023 for next race . It has been fun and terrible reading the comments over the season. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The championship battle seemed so promising after the first 2 or 3 races. I knew Ferrari were likely to screw it up and lose out in the end, but I didn't expect that to have already happened by halfway through the season 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭CONSI

Think Max could have done a bit more to back Charles up and help Checo, the dynamic in that team will be strange next year...I see Danny Ric as number 2 driver at some stage next year for Red bull and checo going to alpha tauri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

He was a reserve driver in 2007 and competed in one race when Kubica was recovering from his big crash in Canada. So it is his first real season without a podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Don't see that happening at all. The only time a driver has been 'demoted' to the junior team, a member of the junior team has simultaneously been promoted. Under your scenario, either Tsunoda or DeVris would have to be booted from the starting line-up to make way for Checo.

I reckon Checo would also rather leave the sport.

If Danny Ric manages to impress RB during his year on the sidelines, I the earliest I would see him being in the car full-time is 2024, with Checo having being bought out of his last year (just like McClaren did to Danny Ric this year). Even that I feel to be unlikely.

Stick a fiver on it and hope you're right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Verstappen gave Checo drs for a few laps and pulled him along. Verstappen had to focus on his own race. Checo made the mistake of not holding off passing Hamilton till the second drs zone, he wasted too time passing Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't see Danny Ric featuring in a race seat next year but anything is possible for year after. I really do see a major fall out between checo and max.

Max did zero for checo again which is pretty short sighted. He might not run away with the championship next year and might need checo again. I can't see checo fighting quite as hard to defend for him next time.

Ricciardo will get opportunity to do some fp1 and plenty sim work. I'm sure redbull will very very quickly be able to assess where he is at versus his performance of old considering the data analysis/comparison they will be able to do.

It's a no brainer for redbull to take him on. They even admitted that the marketing side is a huge gain for them - to be able to send a driver to do demos that everyone would know as a current driver and probably the most popular driver of all is big for a team like redbull.

I don't think he is going to every grand prix next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think it was a pretty good season with some brilliant races and some very forgettable races, If Ferrari weren't a bit of a laughing stock the title fight might have dragged on a bit longer but once max got his nose in front it was goodnight!

Disapointing not to see any midfield podiums this year, I think mclaren got one? The likes of alpine, aston and alpha notched a few last season for example.

It will be nice to see a fairly shaken up grid next season in terms of new faces and see what the team dynamics will be there, all eyes will of course be on max/checo to see of they buried the hatchet after Brazil.

My hopes are for red bull/merc/ferrari to all be challenging at the front and a very punch midfield fighting for points each race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

There was a fairly honest interview with Danny and the guys from Sky. Danny basically said that he won't be at every GP next year. He will be taking a significant amount of time out to get that head space. It's not like he'll be breathing down Checos neck. I'd say Checo is safe, as long as he wants the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Checo seems to lack that extra push when needed to make an impact on races, he should really have been catching LeClerc a lot quicker than he was. I don't think it's in him to ramp the pace up in the way Hamilton or Max can when needed.

There's no doubt Max could have helped him more in Brazil but it also needs to be taken into account that in the space of a couple of laps Checo fell 4.5 secs behind Max so didn't help himself in getting the place back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Gasly behind the wheel of the Alpine:

Wrong thread 😋

Anyone dare take the barrage of notifications that comes with starting the 2023 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,971 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what is the point of the end of season test? I assume there is essentially nothing new on any car? I guess it is good to get drivers into the car of their new team where possible, but then you have the likes of Hamilton running - what is he or Merc going to get out of any runs he does in a car they will be keen to dump?

Even at RB, what would they be doing in this test that will aid them going forward? I guess the cars at the first or second test next season will be significantly diferent, so I don't get the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Isn't it new tyres for next year that they are testing? So every driver gets a shot on them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

F1...please ban sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen this over on INSTAGRAM and thought it was nice. At least he does not have any hard feelings against Mclaren

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭This is it

China off the calendar for 2023 according to BBC, still struggling with COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I liked how Hamilton sainz at the chicane was dealt with this year. First established if sainz pushed him off the track, once clear on that, decided upon hamilton gaining an advantage which they figured he did.

This confirms what I've long since thought. The "golden age" of f1 exists only in people's heads.

Post edited by muckwarrior on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I got your sorted: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058272977/f1-2023-thread/p1?new=1

If only to ensure the title did not include "see post 1 for rules" when there were no rules in post 1... 🙃

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Great thread. The second half of 2009 was some of the best racing in the last 10-15 years in my opinion. Was a shame Button had built up such a lead but he notes Hamilton and Raikkonen were probably the two best drivers that year, despite finishing 5th and 6th in the championship.

Ferrari being Ferrari. Why would anyone want to take over this unless for the money.

• Advertisement

Took long enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement