Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He’s doing what gets votes in Florida and attracts MAGA voters. I don’t think he actually believes most of his “anti-woke” crusade at all. It’s just a way to “other” people and gain votes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RDS beating Trump is absurd to consider in a primary. The base of RDS is the more educated wealthy GOP voters , but the rubes aka the majority who vote idolise Trump. RDS to beat Trump would need the primary to between the two of them, but its going to be crowded which is perfect for Trump as about 40% of the base are all in for him which is more than enough.

Beating Trump in a primary wouldn't be much easier than beating Obama in a Dem primary (if he was allowed to run).

Best case for RDS is to hope Trumps health fails and he gets barred from running legally but that seems highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That factor in him of losing interest in things on his desk is probably the best thing the US has going for it, especially if the things are not favoured by others. Throwing him and his two older sons off the bus is probably the best thing the GOP could do in order to gain some sort of respectability for the US.

Looking at Fox News [as I do in order to get an ALTERNATIVE view of the news front being fed to the US public] Trump is blasting Maricopa County for voter fraud, a scam with voting machines not working in republican areas. Keri lake taken to a liberal democrat area to vote, Blake Masters had the election stolen from him, re-run the election.

At some stage, while he's rehearing the lines, his brain must recognize that what he's saying over and over is a big lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm not looking forward to an RDS vs Biden debate in 2024. Biden will be nearly 82 at that point, all it takes is one slip-up and it'll be repeated ad nauseam on Fox News...never mind CA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Of course he does.

Of course they all do.

But they can't admit to failure.

They're pragmatists.

Masters was gung-ho anti abortion to attract votes for his selection. All that image was instantly ditched once he had to attract the moderates and face off agsinst Kelly. People saw through all of that.

Lake has spent the past 6 months telling anyone who will listen the exact same line that trump spun 2 years ago.

"If I win then its a perfect election, and if i lose then it will have been stolen by the libs."

It's ego and greed, and at this stage, beyond just being plain false, it's wearying for the vast majority of the reasonable electorate with even a smidgeon of common sense.

They know its not true, but their whole credibility is wrapped up in this lie. They've nothing beyond this "DEMs are bad" conspiracy to offer.

And that's why they've failed so badly in these midterms.

Given the Dems performance in the mid terms I’d say Biden is ready to rumble with anyone. It’s been a great week for him.

they/them/theirs

Looking at the CNN reports on the vote result so far, in particular the part where the California Reps results are shown and a number [single or double digit] is shown, is that a reference to the Reps district in California? I see California has 53 Congress districts so I'm assuming the numbers refer to the Congress districts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Undoubtedly he knows it's a lie. He is just a class of person and American for whom lying and manipulation of reality to suit himself is part of The Game. He spent his life living without repercussions within a system slanted to favour him and his wealth - lying is simply another strategy in getting what he wants.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think he differentiates between truth and lies the way normal people do.

For him there is only "what's good for me right now" and he will say and do what he believes is most beneficial for him in that moment , it being truth or lie doesn't factor into his thought process whatsoever.

He doesn't see Truth or Lie , he only sees "Good for Donald/Bad for Donald" and will say and do whatever is "Good for Donald" in his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

It sure is a real question how the lies can take over public discourse and private mindsets.

Do we all have a partial view on the particular situation that presents to us and unconsciously choose those bits of information that buttress our existing preconception?

Perhaps if we can understand this and find ways to deal with it we might enter a new "Age of Enlightenment"

That said truth is famously the first casualty of war and as long as we view each other as enemies truth will take a back seat.

I hope I can still permit myself a grim satisfaction to see Trump receive his comeuppance now (a thousand cuts would do it for me)

Thats the truth. Trump's "if we [GOP] win that's down to me, if we [GOP] lose, that's not down to me" is a primetime example.

I can see how conscious/unconscious bias plays a strong part in how people choose what pass for reliable reports by relying on particular internet and media sources. For myself, I rely on CNN, WaPo and NYT mainly with spot checks on Bloomberg HD and random newspapers from around the US to verify what my prime sources tell me.

If it's really peculiar, I look up FoxNews to see if it has a reverse angle from Trump to confirm there is something in the story. Trump does his best to get people, including those in his support base, knickers in a twist.

U

It is as clear as day that T has now ,in the space of 2 years twice lost the GOP the Senate.

I see Josh Hawley is doubling down and saying that the GOP is dead anyway.

He must think that the Trump party can actually win elections without the party it has parasitized.

Or just that he might do well in the short time before it runs into the sand.

There must be more than a few in the GOP who see little reason to hitch their wagon to a politician whose interests align closely with his own personal self interests and whom anyone of any decency or self respect would cross the road to avoid encountering-either him or his sycophants or deluded cult followers.

It may be that Musk was actually right to wish for a Republican victory since a small majority in Congress may be just what is needed to separate the decent Republicans from the toadies and so expose the latter for the sad and impotent minority they will always be,with any luck.

I guess that if Mitch McConnell stays on [he says he has the votes needed] as senate minority leader in the new session, it will cause Trump to have another tantrum before/around the time of his important annnouncement. I'm waiting for another person [or 2] to deliberately let the media know they are thinking of running for the fun of it and give him another meltdown - glances at Pence and Desantis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well looks like it was confirmed: Trump is running again. I honestly didn't think he'd have the nerve or support to do so, but here we are. And with Murdoch saying his press won't support him, and a population already familiar with a Trump presidency : what does he hope to achieve?

Oh, wait: the answer is, "make lots of money" right? I guess sales of Trump Steaks, red hats and TruthSocial subs were flagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He must still be making good money from the MAGA base with the fundraising text messages and emails.

Also proably hoping as a candidate he can hold off the wave of law suits against him.

Given the calibre of legal representation he has "enjoyed" in the past, I'd not be surprised if he somehow got it into his head that a Presidential Candidate is exempt from prosecution - given the sharks had started to circle with respects to the Jan 6th investigation.

But otherwise, this is absolutely a grift at this stage, and more fool anyone buying into this: clearly the GOP are cooling on him as a candidate given their extremely vocal and performative Roads to Damascus; Undecideds aren't going to suddenly think "hey, that Trump guy wasn't so bad after-all"; and if the Murdoch Empire won't go to bat for him, what does that leave?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully he fights with DeSantis for the primary, loses, then switches to independent out of spite and splits the party down the middle, giving Biden or whoever a very easy win.

One can dream 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah 3rd party candidate leading the Trump MAGA party.

The GOP would be in tatters having there vote split and the Democrats would walk the next election in both houses.

I note that the final votes are taking a very suspiciously long time to tally for Congress.

Should the election for Congress be annulled until they can work out wtf is going on?

Maybe replay the elections in those states where the Dems have clearly done less well than expected?

We can respect the results when they are shown to be FAIR!!!

😀😀😀

• Advertisement

Just one word: “Pussygate” - I imagine a lot of people were shocked when they heard that recording and I certainly thought at one point it might lose Trump the election- not a bit of it- seems the American electorate aren’t that choosy what their esteemed leader gets up to

I wonder just how much it cost Trump to get his plane up and running again- must be in the 10s of millions

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Doubt it cost "him" a penny - Paid for by one of his PAC's or donors I think we can be fairly certain.

It cost him zero dollars, his rubes paid for it.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think that was the moment when President Trump as an idea crystallised for everyone. Either you thought he was a legend for owning the libs or you saw him as the tawdry little misogynist that he is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So, how much more restrictive is this on his ability to raise funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very true.

But, Murdoch is against him this time round. A totally different kettle of fish.

I posted this on another thread, but this is how they covered his announcement in the NY POST.

That coupled with Fox pulling away from his announcement mid-speech tells me they are going to not only choke his message, but will undermine him until he pulls out.

Don seems to be taking the news that AG Garland has appointed a special counsel to oversee the investigation into the documents found at Mar-A-Lago and involvement with the Capitol insurrection bid calmly. It seems Dons legal team had been expecting the bad news.

Didn't know that was bad news for Trump.I thought that just had to do with attempting to keep Garland (or his office) at arm's length from the investigation.

Just judging from a comment I heard on CNN a few days ago when the appointment was being mooted.

• Advertisement

I think that as well, a way of saying "it's an independent investigation, outside presidential and DOJ reins". As for the calls to appoint one to investigate Biden's son, there is an existing one already appointed during the Trump presidency, though some GOP people seem to have forgotten about it.

Advertisement