Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Amusing to see Trump sending a clear message by holding a rally in Florida with a guest, Senator Cruz. Governor DeSantis is not on the invite list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tonight, DeSantis sending a reply with an absolute demolition job in the Governor’s race. Miami-Dade a proper red county in this race too.

DeSantis vs Trump will be a fascinating battleground in the near term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well this is looking like a rejection of the MAGA way of doing things. Most of his backed candidates have done terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

His planned announcement on the 14th may have to be changed. TBF to Trump he really is a master of giving himself plenty of room. He teases things, without ever making a proper statement, which gives him plenty of leeways to change course without losing face.

Has the red wave materialised, and Trump was ready to announce his intention to run? That it didn't, and in large part due to the rejection of Trump-endorsed candidates, means that he is not in as strong a position as he would have anticipated.

Surely the GOP cannot be thinking any longer that Trump is a winner in 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sounds like he is proper pissed off after last nights mess. He will go on to blame absolutely everyone else now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They didn’t want him in 2016 but they eventually were stuck with him.

JD Vance who had trumps backing reportedly never mentioned trump in his victory speech last night. After January 6th they assumed that trump had dug his own political grave but they changed course not soon after. It’s their own fault in that the GOP base of old and MAGA base is becoming harder to distinguish between. The will have to walk a fine line of keeping trump close so that the base will stay with them, but far enough away so that independents can hold their nose and vote for the GOP.

Listening to Mick Mulvaney [Trump's former COS] on RTE's Drive-time sounded like he has thrown Trump under the bus. He mentioned Trump's line "if they [GOP] win its down to me, if they lose it's not my fault" and said the reverse is true before going on to say the GOP should get rid of Trump.

Reference was made to how Trump might be agitated today with talk of him asking who advised him to support Dr Oz campaign.

Listening to DeSantis on Sky News delighting in his win, he made it plain he wanted nothing to do with the Washington GOP group. I don't know if he sees Trump as part of that group but assume he would have been told about Trump's "DeSanctimonious" dig at him last week. There is no love lost between them and 2024 is only 2 years away now as of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I kept a small on the PA primary, on reflection the guy who OZ pipped would have won. A generic Republican billionaire who did well with the rural turn out who actually hired plenty of the Trump team. He likely would have made it worthwhile for Trump also to endorse him but Trump went with the guy he knew from TV who he could relate to more as an oil snake salesman.

Hasan would have lost to any generic Republican in NH with a very popular GOP governor cruising to victory but they ended up with a stop the steal loon. Similarly I do think Kelly would be in huge bother if Masters had not got the nomination. Oh and yeah any slightly less awful Republican beats Warnock last night.

Trump deserves a lot of criticism for these picks, but Mc Connell deserves plenty of flack, plenty of the above could have been stopped in the primary if the establishment had not cleared the field. Masters for example only won his primary as it was crowded.

And on top of that rep Jim banks has launched a bid to be majority whip if the GOP take the house despite the fact there’s already a republican whip who is Steve Scalise, and there is a report that MAGA republicans have said they aren’t locked in to voting for Kevin McCarthy unless they get concessions. I mean if the GOP do take the house it could be a mess from day one. The Republican Party are in a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

The smaller a majority they get the harder it will be for them,I imagine.Are there any new (or existing) Rep members of Congress who would work in any way with Biden I wonder.

Are they likely to dispense with Trump if they perceive him as a liability to reelection?(is it again in 2 years?)

He seems less likely to return as Pres after this (second) lacklustre result.

• Advertisement

It may be worth keeping an eye on the vote count between Rep Boebert [R] and candidate Frisch [D] in Colorado to see if the public is in a mind to shake off the grip that conspiracy-theorists etc have of them. Frisch, at the moment, has a slim lead of circa 100 votes over Boebert in Colorado, with several thousand votes still to be counted. One less conspiracy buff sitting in the house should lead to a more sober house.

State Sen. Don Coram, R-Montrose, also endorsed Frisch, writing in the Montrose Press: “Let’s elect someone who cares about representing the majority of people in the middle that are fed up with extreme partisanship and juvenile antics.” [this item was lifted from Craigdailypress, a media source located in the town of Craig, Colorado]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Boebert in the lead now. I believe Marjorie Taylor Greene is back too.

Quacking ? Are the dems ducks now instead of sheep ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

10% of votes still to be counted in Pueblo, a densely populated area that’s leaning heavily blue. Not over yet.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

House actually far from gone for the Dems also which is wild.

Lake from what I see in the betting odds from America 50/50 regarding the Arizona governor race, been a lot of twists though their so who knows who wins.

Not over in the senate races in Arizona and Nevada, but the Republicans hugely unlikely to win either. Masters from what I seen has never looked likely to win since the counting began. Terrible selection that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

What makes you say the Reps are hugely unlikely to take the Senate in Nevada?

They are leading by a small (1.8%) amount with 16% left to count.

Do the Dems have an advantage in the final votes?

It'll be interesting [in electoral post-mortems] to see what turns out to be issues which woke the voters consciousness and got them out to vote. Will the USSC decision on precedents turn out to be a major factor in blocking Trump and GOP red wave expectations or was it down to desire to reject the Boebert factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think Jan 6th Committee has done a great job of showing to many that were probably of the mind that this was nothing more than a match-day rumble, that it was very coordinated and Trump was at the very core.

It wouldn't have changed of the Trump supporter's minds, which are given way too much prominence in the media, but for those sitting on the fence, it might well have swayed them to vote for Demo, even though their inclination would be aligned to GOP because democracy is worth more.

The abortion issue was massive. A bit like Brexit, it makes a great-sounding rally call. Up until the point that it actually comes to pass and reality hits. For many, the constant demand for the overturning of Roe v Wade would have been ignored, just noise when it would never really happen. When it did, then it was because reality and young women, in particular, were not impressed. It also took away a major reason to vote GOP. If abortion was a major part of your voting reason, well success was achieved there really was nothing else to drive you to vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where does this all leave the narrative of DeSantis as 2024 candidate? I can't help wonder this, given the GOP's relative failure here - which might yet result in a failure to retake either Congress or the Senate, though the former seems unlikely at this stage. DeSantis is so brazenly "anti woke" and bullish to the point of obnoxious: that might play well in Florida and its conservative or ageing demographics - but nationally? These results appear to suggest there's less appetite for these anti-woke, Trumpist candidates than the media landscape might have suggested.

Feels like at this point, a generic brand politician who doesn't make waves would walk the 2024 election - but DeSantis? Wouldn't be the first time the early bolter in a candidate race found him or herself out of the running sooner than presumed. Your Howard Dean or Gart Harts of the world, to name two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To paraphrase Monty Python, ranting about woke is a poor basis on which to govern a country.

I think we're beginning to see the limits of the culture war tactics here. People who are fiscally secure are happy to indulge in DeSantis' brand of nonsense. However, there are now problems with this. For one, over a million Americans have died of Covid, hundreds of thousands while they had an openly anti-vaxxer president. For another, the USA is in the middle of a cost of living crisis just like a lot of places. Ranting about black mermaids isn't going to address this.

The real question is how the swing voters react to a potential DeSantis presidential campaign. I can't see him doing anything else given his history. The Americans have had an avowed anti-woke president already and he was a disaster. For that reason, I can only see DeSantis taking the White house only with the sort of electoral rigging and shenanigans that characterise their system.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree - Hard to see how De Santis is any more palatable that Trump in the swing States.

Sure they love him in Texas and Florida , but does he win in Wisconsin or Pennsylvania?

I don't see it right now.

Trump is not anti vaccine tbf. He always touts the roll out as one of his finest achievements, heck he infuriated Candance Owens in an interview when he said how amazing it was.

A major issue for Trump for many was he simply to obnoxious as his regular twitter ranting highlighted and he is clearly a moron. RDS has always been much more disciplined and for all his flaws he is not stupid. He also has a sizeable age advantage, Trump is near 80 been in the national spotlight for forever while RDS for many is still a shiny new toy.

For what its worth I don't see how Trump loses a primary , about 30% of the population seem to be all in on him.

Its early days and its impossible to summarise why everyone votes the way they do, but one of the things I seen elsewhere was in Michigan where people were polled they had no issue voting Republican and were unimpressed with the dems especially due to the economic climate, but the electoral denial stuff was toxic.

You look at the governor their Doug Mastriano who went to the rally and was all in on stop the steal who got absolutely slaughtered and dragged the whole GOP PA campaign down, heck Oz wins that state without such a loon on that ticket.

[quote]

Even giving the most charitable bonus to Democrats for the uncontested races, Republicans currently lead the Congressional total vote in Arizona by 7%.

Kari Lake is running 7.5% behind a generic Arizona Republican.

Blake Masters is running **12.5%** behind a generic Republican.

Kimberly Yee, the incumbent Treasurer who was considered the likely nominee for Governor before Lake jumped in the race, is easily winning reelection, up 11.5% right now. She's running 12% ahead of Kari Lake, 17% ahead of Blake Masters.

[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah I’d agree he wasn’t antivax, he actually at the start of vivid made a couple of good choices, although some stupid like keeping people on the cruise ship. Operation warp speed despite the ridiculous title was good, he initially listened to good advice but then after a while lost interest and said and did whatever was best for himself in any given moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes, he is. He's been a notorious anti-vaxxer for several years now. He changed his tune once he got covid but by then it was rather too late.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

He’s Trump with 20% better diction and 15% less crazy. He’s going to do very well in the swing states if the economy doesn’t turn around.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's a very strong whiff of Ted Cruz off him though personality wise which I don't think will go down well generally.

I agree though , if the economy is still poor and the GOP have an actual clear message (and crucially , with Trump silenced) then they will do a lot better than the mid-terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I just cannot see DeSantis beating Trump in a primary contest. He's a charisma vacuum whereas Trump's a TV guy who can be quite funny and charming in a weird sort of way at times. It's why a lot of people who have tried to model themselves on Trump have failed. They mimic all his extreme positions but don't lighten it up with the softer touch stuff.

He’s absolutely shellack Biden if the economy doesn’t turn round. He’s exactly the type of chameleon the GOP need to win Pa, Mi and Wi. He’a clever enough to pivot to the centre and has the populist appeal of Trump 2016.

I despise the man, but he’s a good candidate in an economic down turn.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is he clever enough though? Based 9n what cos the man seems to have fully committed to the "anti-woke" approach, including reprehensible stunts like the kidnap flight of immigrants to Martha's Vineyard. Or picking fights with Disney, for more prosaic stunts. Hard to walk back to the centre with a background on the fringes. Now, some in the swing states might love flying migrants to liberal cities for the lols, but I dunno.

Advertisement