Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Top restaurants use really old wine for cooking. I worked for a wine distributor and all the top places bought the old cheap **** from us. It's fine for most dishes.

Anyway finally tasted the 19 Crimes Wine. Fcuk me it's bad. Took us 20 years to replace Jacobs Leak as the most popular wine and we've replaced it with this absolute cats piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,220 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Next talking point from the Guardian...

Adding a drop of water to higher alcohol red wine: yay or nay?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/sep/16/just-add-ice-water-or-coke-zero-why-its-ok-to-dilute-strong-red-wine?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ah jaysis, that German lad will be back in a minute to tell us we're disgusting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In the summer on hots days if I'm drinking red I will sometimes choose a lower abv French malbec or a pinot noir maybe. Really high abv reds can be a bit soupy in the heat although cooling them addresses this.

Anyhoo- this evening... Wild Boy. About as much as you can do with a chardonnay in terms of funkiness and oak.

Bought this in Dunne Stores recently

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/prophecy-malbec-750ml-100228034

and drank it as I watched Ulster stuffing Connacht on Saturday. The wine was excellent, the rugby less so.

Highly recommended - and it's on special until 10/10/22!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Love the label...

Seems like the right thread to post a heads-up about this wine tasting event...

The Rioja Wine Festival by WineOnline.ie will take place at the Printworks @ The Morrison Hotel, Dublin on Saturday 22nd October 2022.

The event will be run over two sessions in order to space out attendees and maximise interaction and your ability to taste as many wines as possible. Sessions will run from 2pm-5pm and 6pm–9 pm.

John Wilson, Irish Times wine columnist will host two masterclasses per session.

Tickets - two types:

• General Admission Ticket: €35 per person - Taste over 80 wines, your own wine tasting glass to keep, tasting map, charcuterie & cheeses
    • Premium Masterclass Ticket: €45 per person - Taste over 80 wines, your own wine tasting glass to keep, tasting map, charcuterie & cheeses + Rioja Masterclass and Q&A with John Wilson, Irish Times wine columnist.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-rioja-wine-festival-by-wineonlineie-tickets-415209401497

Interesting article on the troubles of US online wine marketplace Pix

The NOFFLA off licence wine award winners have been announced for this year.

This is not one of those prizes for everyone award show - very competitive.

Some of the winners...

Old World Red Under €12

Rioja Vega SemiCrianza 2020

Old World Red Under €15

Rioja Vega Crianza DOC2018

Old World Red Under €20

Vale D. Maria Douro Superior 2020

New World Red Under €12

Coral Reef Shiraz Cabernet 2019

New World Red Under €15

Portillo Malbec 2020

New World Red Under €20

d’Arenberg The High Trellis Cabernet Sauvignon 2018

Read more: https://www.shelflife.ie/noffla-announces-irish-wine-show-star-awards-winners/#ixzz7hRCtn4Qp

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

No idea what it's like (yet) but Lidl selling a bottle of Margaux for €13.99, which seems exceptional value for any type of Margaux, high on my list for quaffing this weekend.

• Advertisement

Yeah I made a point this week to pick that up in LIDL.

In ALDI I got a Pinot Noir from Switzerland and a red from Lebanon.

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-lebanese-red-bekaa-valley-75cl-specially-selected/4088600404745

Haven't opened any yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

The Lebanese red is decent, they had it around this time last year. Hardly mainstream, not sure I've had too many Lebanese wines, but this was very enjoyable as I recall, and will be buying again.

Chateau Musar and Chateau Ksara have been around for a whiles in Ireland and both lovely. Musar quite overpriced though.

Very interesting production history though. Battles being stopped during the civil war to allow the trucks full of grapes to pass by etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Messiah has been around quite a while, too. We had it as our red at our wedding in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Thanks, picked up 2. Price on shelf was actually 16.99 but scanned at 13.99.

Has anyone seen this red on shelves in Marks and Spencer here?

I had a look in Santry but they only have a very limited selection.

A wine from Israel - Recanti petit sirah.

https://www.internationalwinechallenge.com/canopy/beverage_details?wid=95342

In M&S, I picked up Tangled Knot Lodi Zinfandel.

Bit of a disappointment for me. If I tasted it blind I would have thought it was Pinotage, tobacco and cigar and smoky flavours... I haven't tasted many other Zinfandels, but they didn't taste like this... I wonder if it could be something to do with wildfires in California. But I won't be going back for another bottle.

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-tangled-knot-zinfandel-529245011

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Any chance of a list without clicking on that link. Sorry, just can't do it.

You're in luck, I'm on a desktop :)

Whites

Castellore Italian Verdicchio (ABV 12.5 per cent) €7.49

Castellore Ribolla Gialla (ABV 11.5 per cent) €7.49 

Specially Selected Portuguese Encruzado (ABV 12.5 per cent) €11.99

Reds

Specially Selected Italian Aglianico (ABV 14.5 per cent) €9.99

Pierre Jaurant Costières de Nîmes (ABV 13.5 per cent) €8.99

Mimo Moutinho Portuguese Dão (ABV 12 per cent) €7.99

• Advertisement

Dunnes have Grahams Mini Port Selection 5 x 20ml for €12 ... nice stocking filler :)

This is the set.

Enjoying the Aldi Gigondas

And the Valpol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

How much is the gigondas

hows it going down

Heard about this via the Supervalu bargains thread...

La Unica 4th edition - on offer at €20 reduced from €50. While I wouldn't be paying €50 for it, at €20 it is a steal. A lovely Spanish blend based around Tinta del Pais, Tempranillo and Tinta de Toro. Seems to be stocked in ex-Superquinns such as Sutton.

I also picked up Albert Glas Pinot Noir from Pfalz region in Germany at €10 down from €15.

Favourable review here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Joined the quarterly wine club with Sipster off licence in NI. The top white from the last box was definitely

Domaine Des 7 Lieus, Sauvignon Blanc, 2020, Touraine, Loire, France

"The aroma is packed full of soft fresh-fruit, tropical fruits, a little bramble, and citrus as well as some floral aromas. The palate is refreshing and light with citrus, grapefruit, and peach flavours, with a zingy lemon note. Nice length with some mineral character on the finish.

12% ALC, Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly, Organic"

I'm not usually a sauvignon drinker but this was interesting at first taste and then rather fabulous after that! I got a mixed box, must change my preference to all white for the next one, I've a fair few bottles of red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hi all, recently switched to doing the weekly shop in Lidl from Aldi as its much closer to us.

We had a tried and trusted Pinot Grigio in Aldi but so far the bottles of wine in Lidl we have tried haven't been great so any recommendations for nice Sauvignon Blancs or Pinot Grigios in Lidl would be appreciated

The LIDL thread might be good place to enquire if you don't get any replies here - vinho verde being discussed unfavourably right now.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057482448/lidl-recommendations/p87

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭deisedude

Perfect, thanks for pointing me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl have a very nice, inexpensive, Alsace Reisling.

• Advertisement

Interesting article on French wine consumption patterns:

Red wine consumption in France has dropped by a third in the past 10 years, according to French publication, RTL, whose recent investigation found wine drinking was down almost across the board.

"Never has there been so little wine sold in France," it said in report published on Thursday. "Consumers under 50 are down by six percent in the last 10 years, according to the Kantar Institute. Worse still if we look at red wine: the French have reduced their consumption by 32 percent compared to 2011."

Explanations abound. One is the generational difference, with wine consumption among retirees barely changed while the 18-35 year-old demographic is down by seven percent. Another is the "Two glasses a day and not every day" public health initiative, as well as the "explosion" of single-parent homes where "drinking alone is rare".

The red wine sector has clearly borne the brunt of the changes in consumption. Champagne remains in growth mode, according to an earlier report by the same publication, while consumption of sparkling wine generally hasn't budged. White and rosé wines have been broadly stable over the last five to six years.

Advertisement