Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Down to 12 quid in Lidl. Nabbed the last few 2018 bottles.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/grocery-range-red-wines/saint-emilion-gran-cru-aoc-12-5/p3661

• Registered Users Posts: 27,220 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I know we're not quite in lockdown, but people may not be keen on booking anything major for Valentine's Day which could be cancelled.

O'Briens are running a Valentine's themed online wine tasting, with Rizzardi of Italy, the tasting is €70.

What happens is you will get 4 bottles delivered (1 prosecco, 1 white, 1 red, 1 dessert wine) ahead of the tasting.

Then you are sent a link for Zoom.

The live tasting is on Thursday 10th February but if that doesn't suit, you can watch replay on Youtube.

If you're not keen on all of the bottles, you can just buy the particular ones you are interested in and anyone can watch the Youtube replay.

I did the Christmas one (belatedly on New Years Eve) and it was good fun.

They usually sell out fast!

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/valentines-with-rizzardi-wine-tasting-case?utm_source=O%27Briens%20Wine%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14.01.22%20-%20Valentines%20with%20Rizzardi&_kx=friqy3UCVFIqpnUrRftNlxPLZcXHMJlLoMozJ6Gg_WI%3D.SQgWTf

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Italian night with another celebrity wine...

This time it is 'Intenso' from Gordon Ramsay.

Cribbing tasting notes from Jancis Robinson in the FT:

Blended by the gifted Alberto Antonini from 50 per cent Tuscan Sangiovese, 30 per cent Montepulciano and 20 per cent Merlot from Abruzzo, with some ageing in old oak and fashionable concrete. Much the best of the trio launched recently by the celebrity chef. Fresh, fruity red that tastes a little bit sweet but is rescued by a certain fine texture on the finish, a real Antonini trademark.

It paired perfectly with dinner (porchetta), but I thought on its own there was a little too much of an oaky (?) finish.

€15 from Nolans D3 & WinesOfTheWorld.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Akula

I'm always wary of 'celebrity' wines. Feels like you are paying a premium for their name on it vs. somebody trading on their own name.

I keep an eye on the reviews for them... in general the celebs seem to have some real interest in wine or at least not wanting to be associated with crap and its not just a case of sticking their name on any old crap like some of the 80s endorsements of products. Of course they are not all successes but in general if you pick Tesco Finest say as a benchmark they are in that ballpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

Why not 39?

Domaine du Crampilh Madiran from Lidl... think it was 9.99

This is a nice one, a step up in quality as you would expect from a LIDL 'wine tour' wine.

But in an understandable effort to boost sales Madiran has been tamed and lost its USP to a certain extent.

It was a crunchy red, barely drinkable on opening unless paired with some softening cheese... and then after 24 hours decanting rewarded with a formidable red wine that could stand up to any dish.

* Madiran uses the Tannat grape which has found a place in Uruguay. Garzon Tannat is an exceptional wine.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great value in Aldi for 15 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Aldi is our regular haunt for the weekly shop and they have some new wines at the moment. Tried an Austrian Zweigelt and a Romanian Feteasca Neagra, both of which were very new to me, but both proved disappointing and quite harsh.

However, tonight had their Douro Mimo Moutinho, from the Specially Selected range, and it is quite excellent, lovely deep cherry notes, very smooth and easy drinking. Cant find a link to highlight, but not their regular Douro or Animus, seems to be newly available. Think it cost €9.99, and really worthwhile at that price point, would highly recommend.

• Advertisement

Sticking with ALDI some interesting ones lined up for the summer such as Corbieres

https://shelflife.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cfbee37636e85a964dc7a8cf4&id=57c73d94c3&e=53cf002351

Annoying wine problem.

Buy red wine.

Leave in boot.

Run errand.

Get home.

Open bottle. Realise it is chilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Annoying.

A jug and some hot water is very effective. You just have to get the temperature and volume of the water right so you don't end up with mulled wine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Roisin Curley Nuit St George’s 2018.

I don’t actually like Pinot noir and this was a bit so so for me. I knew that buying it, but I also knew my wife would love it.

Curley is a cult favourite and you’ll find this and other wines from her on the radar of most sommeliers in Irish Michelin starred restaurants, but it’s for those who like a lighter red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Jeeps, Saucy enough too.

What did the missus think of it?

Well, it’s a high quality wine, but in hindsight probably not a great grape choice to spend the money on.

Gerard Bertrand Pic St Loup... nice warming red from the Languedoc with a bit of heft for these cool evenings.

€13.50 in O'Briens at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Sorry, posted in error. And can't delete.

I came across a Georgian natural wine called Pheasant's Tears, Saparafi (grape, red). It's the most a wine has moved me in a while.

Bit of a funky on the nose but really silky and elegant on the pallet.

Le Caveau bring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

• Advertisement

They do stock it but we had it in Nell's Wine Bar on McCurtain Street.

Lyrarakis, Kotsifali grape, Crete

A first for me I think trying a Cretan wine and it is very nice. Reminisicent of young Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo.

https://www.theallotment.ie/products/lyrarakis-kotsifali-crete-greece

Had a bottle of an Australian grenache shiraz called "Wallace" at the weekend. Named in honor of the winemaker's wife's scottish heritage. A really silly label with a big stern cross topped by a thistle.

But a fantastic wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that she is Irish? I haven't seen any reviews of her wines from a non-Irish source. I know she is an MW, but she buys in most of the fruit as far as I am aware, that generally wouldn't be a great sign.

I think she has a great story / brand that has boosted interest in her, but I also think the wines I’ve had from her track with comparatively priced wines from elsewhere in terms of the quality…. More or less. Tough one to call though: Maybe demand has played a role in her pricing to some extent, but that’s always the way with anything with a name, Irish or not.

I actually have a bourgone aligote from hers at the moment that I might open this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Perhaps I am being a bit too cynical. I have noticed people in Chapter One drinking her wines on a few occasions. As I mentioned, I haven't actually read a review of her wine from a non-Irish source, so was wondering if it is a bit of supporting the home team. I drink a fair bit of Burgundy (less in the last 10 years or so due to rising prices), but I haven't tried any of her wines. I buy most of my wine from the UK as there is a huge difference in price between here and there. Her wines in the Irish market are around where you would expect a NSG to be I suppose, something like €60 for the NSG.

Any recommendations for quarter or half bottles of reds in supermarkets or chain off licences?

I hoped we might see better options as a silver lining to MUP but no sign so far.

ALDI have a rioja 187ml for €2 which is about the best value for plonk.

M&S have 250ml Claret and Cotes du Rhone for €4.60, nice but pricey.

I've seen Portuguese red Segredos San Miguel half bottle for €7.99 which is nice but for that price I could take a punt on a full size bottle of ALDI or LIDL guest wine.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Domaine du vieil Aven, a Tavel Rosé with a nice touch. Nearly ruby in hue.

We have been delving into whites and rosés this summer in our little Franco-American kingdom. One of the many pleasures of scoping out these wines is the reasonably priced selection.

Discounts at the moment on wines... September is wine buying month apparently.

Dunnes Stores have 20% off most French wines.

Supervalu have their French wine sale.

O'Briens have their wine sale on.

And some interesting findings from Jancis Robinson website on cooking with wine... I used to go with the old pre-MUP robust €5 shiraz myself for reds.

Sweet wines with high acid, such as medium-dry Riesling, and fortified wines, dry or sweet, such as madeira, sherry, marsala and port, were by far and away the best wines to cook with. Dry wines, red or white, disappeared, sometimes leaving dishes needing a bit more acidity. They didn’t seem to add much depth of flavour, no matter how simple or complex they were. The expensive wines made no more impact and added no more depth than the cheap wines. Tannic wines and oaked wines left a bitterness in the aftertaste of the dishes. Fruit matters – the wines with real juiciness of fruit added more to the dish than wines that were more on the savoury spectrum.

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/cooking-wine-analysed?utm_term=Jancis%20Robinson_Newsletter_%202022-09-02&utm_campaign=Jancis%20Robinson_Newsletter&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

• Advertisement

Interesting about the wine in cooking.

If always found the much used phrase, "if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it", to be a load of shlte!

I don't drink soy sauce but I cook with it. However, I'll always taste a wine before using it if it's been there a while - I don't want vinegar when wine is called for.

I also think this idea of freezing wine for cooking as totally unnecessary. In our kitchen a bottle with the cork stuck in could be there for months and be still fine for cooking - but do taste first.

The last bottle that got sidelined for cooking was one we found way too fruity and a bit sweet - ideal according to the article!

Advertisement