Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Aldi's Valpolicella Ripasso is down to €4.99(normally €9.99) until Father's Day. Anyone know if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

irish_goat wrote:
    Aldi's Valpolicella Ripasso is down to €4.99(normally €9.99) until Father's Day. Anyone know if it's any good?

I tried it a few months ago, it was decent and certainly very drinkable, if not one of the better Ripassos I have had. That said, for 4.99, I will be heading to Aldi to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Buddy97mm wrote:
    I tried it a few months ago, it was decent and certainly very drinkable, if not one of the better Ripassos I have had. That said, for 4.99, I will be heading to Aldi to stock up.

Too late for me, all sold in my local Aldi. Staff said they might have some more tomorrow but can't be certain, they don't seem to be directly involved in what supplies actually arrive in the morning, rather just deal with in when it arrives.

Not sure if it's socially acceptable to queue outside Aldi for wine at 9.00am, especially considering one would then have to wait until 10.30 to actually buy, but I may push those boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,221 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OBriens loyalty club deal until 4th July

20% Off Wine From Chile, Argentina, Uruguay & USA

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Will bump this thread onto the new site with a bank holiday wine mixed case deal from Wines of the World.

6 bottles below delivered for €78 (rrp €90).

Kylie Cava - Spain

Champteloup Rosé d’Anjou - France

Marieta Albariño - Spain

Fat Bastard Rosé - France

Casa Silva Reserva Pinot Noir - Chile

Picpoul de Pinet, Petit Ronde - France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Couple of beauties from Lidl this week.

€8.99. Blend of 6 grapes. Not a big white wine fan but this is great.

€7.99. Lovely smooth drink.

Sticking with LIDL, I think I picked this up a week before the Iberian picks noted above.

Might have disappeared from the shelves by now but if you spot a bottle and are a fan of Pinot Noir pick one up.

Chloe - California Pinot Noir from Monterey County.

I thought this was a very nice old world style Pinot Noir, great value at €12.

It has the classic dark red fruits and 'earthiness' flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭abff

Vidigueira

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

The current O'Briens wine member exclusive (just show your green loyalty card) is 20% off all Australian wines.

*Excludes wines on promotion. Offer ends Sunday 22nd of August.

• Advertisement

LIDL have a nice Corbieres in their limited run wine bins at the moment for €8.

It's an AOP Corbieres from 2018, blend of Grenache and Syrah. Very typical of the region and comparable with what you'd get for €12 - €13 in an off licence.

I've signed up for this with O'Briens, looks interesting.

Exploring California, An Online Wine Tasting on Thursday, 16th September 2021 at 7pm

Price is €90 and includes these four bottles:

* Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay 2019 usual RRP €23.95

* Le Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2018 usual RRP €34.95

* Kendall-Jackson Zinfandel 2018 usual RRP €23.95

* Kendall-Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 usual RRP €29.95

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/californian-tasting-case

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

German Riesling and German Gewürztraminer

Müller-Thurgau!

I read here about wine from many countries.

And what about wine from Germany?

There is wine in this world outside France as well.

Don't they sell German wine in Irish supermarkets as well?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's not that common apart from (bargain basement) Liebfraumilch, Black Tower range (some of which are spritzers really) & Mosel riesling.

Dunnes have a Pfalz Pinot Noir - Kendermann for 11.50 which is on my list to try.

O'Briens have a few Rieslings and one red (Dornfelder), which is a very small presence.

From what I understand, German wine seemed to destroy its export markets during the 1980s with an indecipherable appellation\labelling system and focus on quantity rather than what people wanted to drink. I'd say they had difficult times in with some of the poor summers in the late 1970s \ early 1980s.

They were blitzed out of it versus the more consumer friendly imports from Chile, Australia, New Zealand in the UK and Ireland.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Well if you go back to the 1970s the world of wine was a lot smaller.

It was France and the rest, the only ones that would have been talked about were Chianti from Italy, Rioja from Spain and Riesling from Germany.

For a long time they would have been the only wines considered worth aging.

If you only drank the wines of France you would probably get an appreciation for the majority of wine styles, given the diversity of its wines from cooler climates of Alsace & Loire, classic zones of Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone down to the Languedoc and Provence & that it is French grapes that are predominantly used in Chile, America, Australia, New Zealand.

The new wine season of 2021 has started!

Enjoy the "New Swwet Wine!" :)

• Advertisement

Enjoy the "New Sweet Wine!" = Federweißer!

That's what I mean. :)

What really destroyed the German export markets were WW One and WW Two.

People did not want to drink "enemy wine".

And many have not realized that the war is over now. :)

"The German wine industry cynically sold us utter rubbish for years."

Nonsense.

The British were buying utter rubbish for years, because they preferred to drink utter rubbish.

Nobody is forced to buy utter rubbish.

Btw: When is a newcomer like me finally allowed to post simple links?

When is a newcomer like me finally allowed to post simple links?

Where can I ask this question?

Well, from reading books by veteran wine writers like Oz Clarke and Tom Doorley, in the 1970s the choice was paying top pounds for your premium Bordeaux, Rieslings etc versus the affordable supermarket wines which seemed to come from grapes in France, Germany, Spain, Italy which tasted like they never set eyes on sunshine or yields had been stretched too far and which were by all accounts utter rubbish.

When affordable wines started coming in from the New World in the 1980s, those utterly rubbish Old World were the ones displaced.

At a time when wine sales & imports were increasing in the US, UK etc German wines disappeared off the shelves.

I think you should be asking yourself why that happened, and I don't think the war explains it given that in the 1980s German brands in cars etc sold well.

Have you considered the possibility a lot of German wine in the past was rubbish? At least what they tried to export to those markets?

Other countries stole a march on them with mass produced wines made with modern techniques, but at least it was drinkable plonk. Those other countries had perhaps more natural advantages in terms of more sunshine especially back in the 1980s, although New Zealand would have similar climate.

Maybe Germany's problem was it tried to get too earlier into the branded wines with Blue Nun etc before they really had enough drinkable plonk to put into the bottles, so they compensated with sweetness - mass marketing but without the modern wine making techniques to support it.

Mateus Rose from Portugal suffered a similar fate, huge in the 1970s, seen as passe in the 1980s and now coming back as part of the Rose boom but with a drier style.

You need 50 posts to post links to stop newcomers flooding threads with ads links.

There is a Helpdesk forum but I think it's flooded with queries about the new version of boards.

I have no intention whatsoever to post ad lnks.

• Advertisement

Wine with names like "Blue Nun" are a disgrace to the wine world.

Wine is no brand like "Coca-Cola."

A real wine may be called a name like "Steinbacher Yburgberg Riesling Kabinett, Baden 1964" - but not idiotic names like "Blue Nun".

Advertisement