Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

• 06-01-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Im hoping we can get a new thread going in here, sharing the good bottles of wine we’ve been drinking.

I recently enjoyed this Kanu barrel-fermented Chardonnay from the Stellenbosch, purchased from Curious Wines, on sale for €14.99. Fairly full-bodied with tropical fruits.

kanu_chardonnay-1485260647.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,216 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just had a lovely bottle of Cono Sur Single Vineyard Riesling white wine... think it was €15.99 in Martins Off Licence.
    Paired very well with Seafood.

And over Christmas, the old reliable red, the Guigal Cotes du Rhone, also €15.99.
    One of the finest widely-available wines in the world, according to a recent review I read.
    http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/wine/france/c-tes-du-rh-ne-red/

Update... here's the review:
    https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/guigal-2014-cotes-du-rhone

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

odyssey06 wrote:
    And over Christmas, the old reliable red, the Guigal Cotes du Rhone, also €15.99. One of the finest widely-available wines in the world, according to a recent review I read.

The Guigal is a wonderful wine. I tried the Lidl Amarone (don't have the actual name to hand) last night. Excellent stuff for €18.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I was in the wine for many years and still have tastes beyond my pocket and my journey to find good wines at sensible prices ( less than €15 say) is paved with indifferent wines and frankly dull ones. One exception is from Donnybrook Fair, a Minervois for €12.99 which I would happily drink every day.
    https://www.donnybrookfair.ie/chateau-blomac-minervois-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night’s bottle was an unusual blend of Moscatel & Chardonnay from Goru, a Spanish wine producer in Jumilla. I love their red wines, which are consistent crowd pleasers. This white had floral notes coming from the Moscatel with body from the Chardonnay. Would be a great summer wine.

Purchased from Curious Wines for €13.99

goru_el_blanco-1489101161.jpg

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I was in the wine for many years and still have tastes beyond my pocket and my journey to find good wines at sensible prices ( less than €15 say) is paved with indifferent wines and frankly dull ones. One exception is from Donnybrook Fair, a Minervois for €12.99 which I would happily drink every day.
    https://www.donnybrookfair.ie/chateau-blomac-minervois-2010

Agree with you, it’s challenging these days to find good interesting wines in the sub €15 range. I like the look of that Minervois and will pick up a bottle next time I’m in DF. We spent a long weekend in the Languedoc this summer and there are some really innovative wines coming out now.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Agree with you, it’s challenging these days to find good interesting wines in the sub €15 range. I like the look of that Minervois and will pick up a bottle next time I’m in DF. We spent a long weekend in the Languedoc this summer and there are some really innovative wines coming out now.

If you like that style, and I do, that area provides some great wines. A good Corbières - not the rough local stuff! - can be a serious bargain. But you know that already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Can't believe we didn't have one of these threads already and can't believe I never thought of starting one :D

From Eslisabetta Foradori mostly known for top notch Teroldego

Massive fruit bang probably too much for some peoples taste but I love it.

FONTANASANTA MANZONI BIANCO
    foradori_1ab.jpg

limnam wrote: »
    Can't believe we didn't have one of these threads already and can't believe I never thought of starting one :D

From Eslisabetta Foradori mostly known for top notch Teroldego

Massive fruit bang probably too much for some peoples taste but I love it.

FONTANASANTA MANZONI BIANCO
    foradori_1ab.jpg

She is an amazing wine maker and an amazing woman. I loved this one. About €24 but worth it for the right occasion.
    http://www.elisabettaforadori.com/catalogo/?menu_item=20

She is an amazing wine maker and an amazing woman. I loved this one. About €24 but worth it for the right occasion.
    http://www.elisabettaforadori.com/catalogo/?menu_item=20

Which one were trying to link to?

This link brings to me to the main menu

Which one were trying to link to?

This link brings to me to the main menu
    Apologies. Not the easiest website to get around. I'll try this link.

etichetta-teroldego-morei.png

• Advertisement

One of my favorite Montepulciano's. This used to be available in curious wines but I believe for one reason or another they've stopped working with the vineyard/Disty.

You can still get it from https://www.kwmwine.com up north at about 15-16e delivered

1556.jpg

Tonight was a Malbec from Cedre Heritage in Cahors, France. I can't remember where I purchased it (possibly either the Corkscrew or Donnybrook Fair). Lovely dark purple colour, lots of black fruit and a nice touch of spice and oak. Very pleasant.

b40000055290.jpg

Over the weekend in O'Briens I picked up the Gerard Bertrand Solensis, a Syrah-Grenache blend, certified Organic from the Languedoc-Rousillon region of south west France. RRP is €17.95 but it's currently on offer in the "buy two bottles get cheapest half price winter warmer red deal."

Silky smooth is how I would describe this wine, velvet in a glass... I wouldn't put this wine into the winter warmer category though, for that and for a wine with more depth I would stick to the Guigal Cotes du Rhone which is comparable in price but not in the O'Briens deal.

More detailed review here...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/wine-of-the-week-from-obriens-gerard-bertrand-solensis-2015/

Tonight was a Malbec from Cedre Heritage in Cahors, France. I can't remember where I purchased it (possibly either the Corkscrew or Donnybrook Fair).
    I do love a good Cahors Malbec but they're hard to get. How much was this one?

Looks like it's 17e in cork screw

https://www.thecorkscrew.ie/red-wine/chateau-de-cedre-heritage-malbec.html

Saturday night's bottle. Bit of an ad-hoc purchase from the boot Italian shop in Cork It's more of an Italian food shop but they stock a few bottles of Italian wine.

I love a good ripasso(a) but I haven't found many nice ones at a decent price and this was no different. There was some nice baked dark fruits but it was a bit too acidic for my taste maybe another half an hour in the decanter might have took the edge of it. At 19e a bottle I'd give it a wide birth.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them

251481-remo-farina-superiore-valpolicella-classico-ripasso-2015-label-1491738658.jpg

I genuinely can’t remember. I had it racked on the “everyday rack” so probably < €20. Wish I could remember where I bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

It can be very hard to find a nice Ripasso, nicest I have found in Ireland is a Villa erbice in the winebuff, but it is a little pricey at 28 euro. I really would suggest the valpolicello from the wine buff and decant it for a couple of hours better value and it is one of my go to wines.
    http://www.thewinebuff.com/italian-red-wine-erbice-valpolicello

It can be very hard to find a nice Ripasso, nicest I have found in Ireland is a Villa erbice in the winebuff, but it is a little pricey at 28 euro. I really would suggest the valpolicello from the wine buff and decant it for a couple of hours better value and it is one of my go to wines.
    http://www.thewinebuff.com/italian-red-wine-erbice-valpolicello

I was going to suggest that but as that was my old business I didn't... but the cork is out now! Actually the Mobile Ripasso there @ about €21 is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Drdenise75

Just enjoyed a lovely Ripasso that we got at Curious Wines. Corte Giona valpolicella ripasso 2013. €19.99 so not cheap but a good well balanced wine.

• Advertisement

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Just enjoyed a lovely Ripasso that we got at Curious Wines. Corte Giona valpolicella ripasso 2013. €19.99 so not cheap but a good well balanced wine.

While it's _very_ rare I'm not happy with a purchase from curious I got this during the 20% off Italian so picked it up a bit cheaper and didn't really enjoy it

Karwig have this for 18e if you haven't tried it. Beautiful wine.

https://www.karwigwines.ie/red-wine/Luigi-Righetti-Valpolicella-Campolieti

Do all wine buff's sell the same wines?

Do all wine buff's sell the same wines?

More or less, there's a huge choice in the warehouse so shop owners/managers will stock what their customers like and of course what they themselves like. The website will have the full range, your local shop can bring a wine if you think you might like it.

As a present I was given a bottle of Irish wine. I didn't realise we had vineyards here! This was a rather expensive present from the Celtic Whiskey shop I gather. It was an ideal gift, something I would love to try but would not buy for myself.

Lusca-75cl-776x1176-776x1176.jpg

The wine is called Lusca, and it is a red wine in a Bordeaux style.

It's nice, but I would say a bit inconsistent in flavour, would be eclipsed by a good Grand Vin de Bordeaux ... I have left a glass for tomorrow to see if there is any difference in flavour.

More information on Irish wines here:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-wine-2351581-Sep2015/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm a white wine man myself. And I really like Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc.

Last night we drank Taoz Reserva Coupage 2013 from Somontano, Spain. Again this was from Curious Wines, usually €15 per bottle. This is a blend of Cabarnet Sauvignon, Melia and Syrah aged in French oak for 14 months. It’s smoothly rich, with notes of chocolate and black fruits.

I like this one a lot, I’ll always pick up a few bottles whenever I’m in Curious Wines. It’s one I always know I’ll enjoy.
    taoz_reserva_coupage_sommos-1491546566.jpg

Enjoyed a firm house favourite last night - Von Winning Win Win Riesling from The Corkscrew €21.95. I usually buy several bottles of this at a go, as I really like to know that I have a reliable, enjoyable wine on the racks.

This is a truly glorious Riesling - it's crisp and lemony, ever so slightly effervescent but also has a touch of honey mellowness.

von-winning-win-win-riesling.jpg

Aldi had bottles of Recioto di Soave and Recioto della Valpolicella in over Christmas. For those of you not familiar with it, Recioto is an Italian sweet wine where grapes are allowed to partially dry before wine making. Recioto comes from around the Verona / Lake Garda region.

I hadn’t been overly impressed with the Soave, but I opened the bottle of Valpolicella last night to go with some cheese, and I really liked it. It’s not lusciously sweet but pretty nice. I think Aldi still have it on sale in some shops, but reduced now to €8 (IIRC).

Recioto-Della-Valpolicella-DOCG-A.jpg?o=cUTdcHUmAAKjL%24%40SPqX0Kzjfi6Ij&V=Gz%247

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Would love some organic red recommendations please.

Do you have any preferred red styles / grapes?

SuperValu are selling a wooden box of 6 Spanish reds at the moment for €50. Three Rioja and three Tempranillo. But all are “ecological”, not quite sure what translates as. I find the Tempranillo to be a bit grippy and green yet although it’s still very drinkable, but the Rioja is pretty good. And you can do the maths at €50 for 6 bottles.

Lots of organic reds coming from Spain right now actually, particularly southern areas like Jumilla. The warm, dry climate makes organic easier to achieve.

• Advertisement

Do you have any preferred red styles / grapes?

SuperValu are selling a wooden box of 6 Spanish reds at the moment for €50. Three Rioja and three Tempranillo. But all are “ecological”, not quite sure what translates as. I find the Tempranillo to be a bit grippy and green yet although it’s still very drinkable, but the Rioja is pretty good. And you can do the maths at €50 for 6 bottles.

Lots of organic reds coming from Spain right now actually, particularly southern areas like Jumilla. The warm, dry climate makes organic easier to achieve.

For me organic means less chemicals and therefore less risk of a hangover! This is a good thing. I might chance a box of that....

Advertisement