Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

• Registered Users Posts: 27,213 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I managed to pick up a bottle in Dunnes of the Terra Quartär Pinot Noir 2019, Pfalz, Reh Kendermann, Germany (13%, €11.50)

Recommened in both the Irish Times and Irish Examiner in the last week.

Tasting notes from the Examiner: Red fruit aromas plus some earthy, forest-floor notes - darker fruits on the palate, textured and juicy with good concentration and balancing acidity.

I had a glass last night and it was nice without really impressing me, but it opened up in the decanter and tonight it's something special.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Yes, sorry wasn't clear, when I opened the bottle Saturday I poured a glass and rest into the decanter (cos it looks nice and was going to bottle bank Sunday morning).

Sunday's glass came from the decanter and had really opened up.

Wasn't expecting Pinot Noir to respond like that or I would have had it breathing in the decanter for a few hours Saturday - I usually do that with Bordeaux, Chianti.

Kicking off what will be a week of O'Briens California wines is Murphy Goode Cabernet Sauvignon.

I'll crib some tasting notes from Vivino: Blackberry and dark fruit flavor forward with a nice smooth oak finish. Medium acidity and black currant. Plum and BlackBerry scent.

At €22.95 I would say a little over-priced, Califorian wines come at a premium but a very nice and thoroughly enjoyable Cabernet Sauvignon.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Advertisement

The O'Briens California virtual wine tasting was good fun, perhaps a little rushed.

The Kendall Jackson Chardonnay (not too oaked), Cabernet Sauvignon and La Crema Sonoma Pinot Noir were all lovely though the RRP has the California premium attached. The surprise of the night for me was the Kendall Jackson Zinfandel, which was complex and well balanced.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/kendall-jackson-zinfandel

And now to followup with a reliable midweek wine - Messer del Fauno Primitivo, available in independent offies for €10 - €12. This is from Italy, and Primitivo there is the same grape as American Zinfandel. I'd usually associated Zinfandel with over-powered blockbuster reds, but both these expressions were well balanced, more depth to the Zinfandel and more fruit in the Primitivo.

https://whelehanswines.ie/products/masseria-del-fauno-primitivo-w00171-1

A rather special bottle tonight, received as a gift in memory of a holiday in the area, which feels like a lifetime ago now...

Norman Hardie, Pinot Noir 2016 Unfiltered, from the cool climate Niagara Peninsula in Canada.

The perfect present, a bottle I'd love to try and did enjoy, but couldn't justify paying the premium price for.

At only 11.2% alcohol, this is the lightest Pinot Noir I've tasted, but does not come across as thin \ weak.

I'll crib some tasting notes from Green Wines UK: Exudes bright red fruit, complex earthy aromas and a real lightness on the palate where there are plenty of generous red fruit flavours, a crunchy acidity and expressive tannins leading up to a long, lingering finish.

This would be ideal for a Sunday lunch or an impressive bottle to bring along for Christmas lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Can this be bought in Ireland?

Couldn't see it anywhere

My source says they got it in Jus de Vine Portmarnock couple weeks ago though its doesnt show up on their site. Might be worth giving them a buzz. It was imported by 'Conviviality' group.

• Advertisement

Very interesting article on JancisRobinson.com on how the reduced use of suplhites in so-called natural wines can ultimately lead to higher quantities of natural histamine. Sulphites can cause a reaction in some asthma sufferers, and histamine can be a factor in wine intolerance. More details on the research by Master of Wine Sophie Parker-Thomson in the article:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/light-shone-wine-intolerance

The off licence wine awards winners announced, these are usually a good indicator of a nice bottle, not one of those gold stars for everyone awards show. There are different categories for wines under €10, €20, old world v new world, red v white.

Wine of the year was the Trulli Salice Salentino DOP which was also the Old World Red Under €15 winner.

https://www.shelflife.ie/2021-irish-wine-show-star-award-winners-announced/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't generally record the wine I drink here, but maybe now and again I will throw something up.

Last weekend I opened a Willunga 100. 18 euros, an Australian shiraz from the McLaren Vale, south of Adelaide.

For 18 euros you get a fruity, muscular shiraz with quite a dry tobacco savoury finish.

I'd buy it again. This is quite widely available. I have a few less common Australian shiraz in the cupboard that might make for interesting comparisons going forward.

Inspired by his trips around the region in Michel Roux's French Country Cooking (Food Network), I picked up a bottle of Ardeche wine, as I realised I hadn't tried any.

The Louis Latour Ardeche Chardonnay paired perfectly with prawns pil-pil. Louis Latour is one of the major Burgundy wine negoiciants and this is done in a style which makes the Ardeche an extension of that region, jumping over Lyon.

€15 from Clontarf Baths off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Rugra Nebbiolo ‘Scajeta’ 2013' best bottle I've had in a long time but it was around £17 so not something that's going to happen regularly.

Another fairly readily available Aussie Shiraz… Alkoomi 2018 Frankland River white label.

Pedestrian, quite dry and no fruit delivery coming through.

Katnook founders block Shiraz 2016.

“Pure Coonawara character”, massive juiciness but still dry on the finish. A big mouthfeel and savoury nose.

For 18 euro a tremendous wine.

Right now I am having a fine Traminer :)

ALDI Ireland have launched a free online wine course, probably more for people starting off on their wine journey but thought I'd give it a bump.

Designed with wine expert Nadia El Ferdaoussi, this six-module course will teach all there is to know about this favourite drink, from the basics on how to taste wine, right through to the finer points like grape varieties, tasting notes and production methods. Covering still, sparkling, sweet and fortified wines, with this six module Aldiploma, you’ll learn everything you need to know how to choose your preferred bottle of wine to suit your budget, while learning which food pairings work best with your chosen grape.

https://www.aldi.ie/aldiploma

Heartland Illicium cabernet sauvignon shiraz ... 14.99

I'm still really enjoying these bold Australian wines. This doesn't stack up to something like the Katnook Founder's Block mentioned above, but it's a good wine for 15 euro. Huge dark fruit hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Chateauneuf du Pape, Cellier des Princes, on special in Tesco today, reduced from 25 euro to 12.50. Not sure if a day only offer for Black Friday, or if will continue.

Personally feel that Chateauneuf du Pape suffers somewhat from being so well known and that pricepoint does not always reflect true value as a result. That said, this seems like a good bargain, decent reviews online, bought a bottle to try later

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got one of these yesterday and tried it. Didn't really enjoy it much, at all. Bit thin and uninteresting, kinda harsh, too.

In hindsight, it probably far too young - 2020. I don't really have the experience to tell if it will age well or not, though.

What wine did you have lately?

Have to agree, this was okay overall as a wine bit disappointing as a Chateauneuf du Pape, not as vibrant or varied as I would have expected. Will not be re-buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭OldRio

2020 would be too young in my limited opinion.

In Aldi today and saw their "Specially Selected" Amarone reduced to 10 euro, from around 17.

Not yet sure what it is like, but hard to go wrong with a bottle of Amarone for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I found it a tad alcoholic.

Aldi have some great wines though. Had a few recently. The Chateauneuf du Pape, Barolo, Cotes du Rhone, Californian Zinfandel all drank recently and all really good. And theres a Chianti for a tenner (blue label) which is great too.

Drank a bottle of the Amarone tonight. It's decent, certainly worth a tenner, but overall disappointing as an Amarone,lacking the depth, complexity and richness that you would typically expect from such a wine. I did enjoy it though, but still feel it's more akin to a nice Ripasso than a true Amarone.

Louis Martini Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

A perfect pairing for Christmas Eve dinner - california cab sav and Dunnes Stores Irish Angus 28-day matured beef rib roast on the bone (Yes I'm reading from the label...)

Some cribbed tasting notes...

Our 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a densely layered wine showcasing plush notes of cherry cobbler and wild blackberries backed by hints of cedar and fresh herbs. Full-bodied and elegant, this Cabernet has a polished mouthfeel and an exceptionally long finish.

https://www.jusdevine.ie/store/red-wine/louis-martini-sonoma-cabernet-sauvignon/

• Advertisement

An unusual wine for me tonight, from Aldi a Lebanese red from Bekka Valley. Not sure I've ever drank Lebanese wine before, but was intrigued when I saw this as part of Aldi's Specially Selected range, selling for 10.99 I think. Anyway, it's a very decent wine, full bodied, meaty and rich, lots of Berry and spice, i really enjoyed this and would certainly buy again at pricepoint.

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-lebanese-red-bekaa-valley-75cl-specially-selected/4088600404745

Advertisement