Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Last week - Yalumba Barossa Shiraz. A more expensive shiraz than I'd normally buy, at around 28 euro, but it was really excellent. I would class it alongside d'Arenberg's The Dead Arm, but it's a fair bit cheaper. I'm thinking this will be a good option to stock up on over Christmas and St Stephen's Day.

This week - been enjoying Trumpeter from Rutini wines, Argentina. They have an excellent Malbec and Malbec Syrah, both around the 20 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

In lieu of making a new thread, jumping in here in the first instance.

I recently saw a TikTok of a wine review for Folias de Baco Uivo Renegado Vinhas Velhas (2021). I've been really intrigued by it, and I'm not normally a wine guy. My usual haunt of Bradley's in Cork doesn't seem to stock it, and I've only been able to find it from a shop in Dublin (Green Man Wines) but delivery is €15 which is a bit saucy for me when I'm only trying to get this wine on a whim.

My question to the thread: is anyone familiar with this wine and able to recommend something in the same vein, please?

https://www.greenmanwines.ie/products/uivo-renegado-folias-de-baco

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Fairly certain they had this on the shelf in MacCurtain Wine Cellar in the last few months. Might be worth a call to see if they still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

And Boards.ie delivers. They do not have that specific wine in stock, but offered to look to bring in some bottles next time they do a round of orders. They have a Renegado sparking in stock however.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Iirc someone was looking for good Zinfandel.

This is a good one from Think Big - a 2021 Lodi. No smoke taint which affected some 2020s from California.

15e in Grapevine offie in Glasnevin and Kilbarrack

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

In Dunnes today and picked up a few bottles of Cune Gran Reserva at the very good price of €14.40.

This is one my Christmas wines of choice, stemming back to many years ago when I always received a wooden boxed magnum from a business associate.

Dunnes have an ongoing 20% off all wines. Normally very sceptical of such offers and find most supermarket offers to be on wines that were at an artificial high price previously, but this 20% off seems very genuine with good value at wines priced between €15 and €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Can anyone recommend a nice red wine to go with T-bone steak, please - and where to buy.

If it helps, I will be shopping in Dunnes and Aldi tomorrow.

I am purchasing as a gift, but I don't drink, and am absolutely clueless about wines. TIA.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cant go wrong with a Chianti. Versatile and a safe bet.

Love this from Dunnes for 14 quid.

Or this from Aldi for 11 quid

If that's from the Specially Selected range in ALDI it'll have 20% off at the moment.

There's been some recommendations for Bordeaux from Dunnes eg Chateau Becherau now at €11

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/chateau-bchereau-bordeaux-suprieur-75cl-id-100831061

And a little more expensive at €15 or so look for those marked Cru Bourgeois, which tend to be safe bet.

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/-cru-bourgeois-chteau-victoria-hautmdoc-750-ml-id-100291501

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Thank you both, I got them the chianti and the bordeaux from Dunnes, so they have a choice!

Thanks again. 🥩🍷

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Flying out of Tenerife airport next week, anyone know if there's any value to be had at the duty free? I need a bottle to take to my sister in Amsterdam but wondering if it's just as good to buy it when I'm there.

A new Polonez store opened up in my vicinity, lured by a 10% off coupon (alas not on booze) I checked it out for some random items.

Picked up a bottle of Georgian dry red wine, Suliko Saperavi, for €12.50.

The dry is important here as quite a few of the red wines stocked are sweet or medium dry.

It is nice, somewhere between Shiraz and Pinotage with a slightly smoky finish, would work well with BBQ. Lighter than either of those grapes and 12.5% ABV.

And wine adjacent… I also picked up a bottle of Armenian 5 star "cognac" made with grapes from the plains of Ararat. Very smooth, in a blind taste test I would have said it was cognac, very smooth and easy sipping. 500ml for €22.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Buy in shops on the Island itself, much cheaper and different stuff to be got to the usual set list

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Georgian wine is very much on point these days!

Also from Polonez, a Bordeaux red Chateau Bernachon €11.

This comes in at 12% ABV but does not taste 'thin' at all, and would be a good fit for Bordeaux fans looking for something lighter perhaps for a Sunday lunch.

Seems to be available in some independent off licences also and Carry Outs also.

https://anpoitinstilofflicence.ie/products/chateau-bernachon

Advertisement