Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

New beta firmware out and about. Will give it a go later but some detail on the page there with changes etc

Notice a Max Core Volume reference which might be a fix of sorts for the low volume issue when running OpenFPGA stuff. Plus a lot of changes to the FPGA support.....dunno if there's been any filter implementation, but that could be a core-by-core thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I'm going to leave updating the OS until some of the cores get updated to take advantage of the changes, don't think I'll gain anything atm and NeoGeo might break.

Looks like you'll be able to change games/ROMs within the core which would be a big quality of life improvement. Filters to come in another update though I think.

It's really starting to take off for me though. Using it way more than I did since I got it and finally setup the dock, works great on my Tv - apart from a horrible ('perfectly normal') sound when I undock it!

If it keeps on progressing like this it's going to be some device, shame more people don't have them (and that the company isn't the most popular). Could turn into a MiSTer best for CRT/this for flat-screen situation imo.

Aye. Hate that Dock sound. Analogue said its normal, but everytime I undock, I am not loving it.

Updated to that newest firmware anyway with no issue, and Analogue Spiritualized Cores have all being updated with minor changes to bring them in line. Still no filters yet, but they have at least separated the DMG GB core from the GBC one so pea green is there to enjoy.

Volume sounded OK since the update, but I generally was using carts over the original release of the cores so can't say it's fixed completely, but seemed to have headroom with the volume from the little I tried.

Initial Tecmo core doing the rounds now with Rygar support but not tried it. Pong core out and about also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think I'll update so. The lack of peagreen filter was a massive issue on the GB core for me.

SNES core out now!

Funny watching all the dev stuff from a distance, feels like it all getting a bit tetchy around porting the existing MiSTer cores. Analogue really isn't the most popular amongst them...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They don't like how it's not open source like mister and think it's stealing core dev from the mister. It's just another toxic fandom really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I believe the issue is that folks who support the devs via the likes patreon, have done so for MiSTer core dev and not Analogue.

Analogue dev might lead to more support for the devs I guess

Yeah I can see both sides tbh. Analogue are probably trying to have their cake and eat it a bit with it all being a bit open in mainly one direction but then MiSTer has a bit of previous as well I think (Jotego's cores aren't part of the main branch because of similar enough stuff right?).

Tricky situation, hopefully it irons out over time. Genuinely don't want to be using a core the original dev doesn't want on it but not sure how long I could hold out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm all for developers getting paid for their time/skill investments, that goes for software and hardware emulation alike. Patreon and such are perfect for that purpose.

Generally, I'm not overly fond of closed source ecosystems though (in context). If Analogue want to maintain a walled garden, ideally it shouldn't come at the cost of the open source community. Hopefully it balances out over time.

They aren't really operating a walled garden, the system is open source with the entry being the purchase of the system. It's the same deal with Mister but as said the issue is people paying patreons for mister core dev feel that the core developers are wasting time on analogue and not the mister dev they are paying for.

As for the SNES core, I probably won't mess around with it yet, happy enough with SNES through retroarch but it's impressive how far they've come. It's running SA-1 games which took a long time to crack previously.

• Advertisement

My thing is mainly with a 3rd party porting someone else's core, hadn't considered this would be the main release method tbh. I think some of the original devs are feeling their work is being passed off as Analogue's or whatever. I've subbed to Jotego but he seems to be on a bit of a go-slow regarding the Pocket. He's probably lucky more people don't have the device imo or otherwise what would stop someone else porting them over? Technically that's the open-source way, right.

Do think/hope a lot of it is just teething pains and was always going to happen as soon as any alternative to MiSTer arrived, but it's getting a bit tribal alright. Nothing wrong with that I suppose and I can see why people may just ideologically oppose Analogue and prefer the more open source MiSTer. It does seem to be a bit more of a 'community'.

Must be a problem with all emulation I guess - all these Chinese devices selling themselves pre-loaded with emulators etc. I think Analogue could do a bit more if they want to limit some of the pushback but they're also selling a fairly powerful FPGA system at a price no-one else is even coming close to so it's not black & white either. Best solution would be a fully open alternative but not sure how feasible that would be.

Ah I get you, I misunderstood the whole thing as fpga news isn't something I follow closely currently. If Analogue is open source, then the devs work will filter back to Mister anyway no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup, it will once there is a demand and Analogue support the dev community.

I wonder what happens with Analogues new openness if some resourseful company/soul releases open FPGA HW as a Mister Ver.2 with a screen, which is cheaper than Analogue but comparable :)

Analogue has the advantage of the build quality, screen and OS. All the chinese want to do is pump out handheld devices with mobile chipsets and rely on android emulation.

Cores are progressing nicely which is nice to see, but in other news from Analogue, it looks like the adapters are well into 2023 with Q3 mentioned as a shipping date elsewhere. Some obviously would question the need at this point given core development, but it'd be nice to have the use of the original carts even if the PC Engine and others get covered

01. Pocket Preorders — 95% of all open preorders (B & C) will ship before the end of 2022.

02. Pocket Cartridge Adapters — will be available for preorder for $99 on Oct 21st.

One other unrelated bit is another run of the Super NT and Mega SG for eejits to scalp

03. Super Nt and Mega Sg — the final run. We’re making one last run of Super Nts and Mega Sgs and they will be available for preorder for $199 on Oct 28th.

There's not really good Neo Geo Pocket emulators so I'm hoping the Analogue core will be a marked improvement over what is currently out there.

What makes you say that? I was under the impression that Mednafen, and in particular, Ares, had the NGP very nicely covered no?

Ah ok, I think it was about 2 years ago I last tried and NGP was very flakey to the point of feeling very wrong. Didn't know Ares had made some big improvements. I'd say the analogue core will probably be based off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You know I've never really been too interested in a Super NT or Mega SG, but with the phrase 'last run' it has me taking notice...

I figure they will have a successor coming up. Can't see them dropping quite a popular item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A move over into the world of CD systems perhaps? Analogue Play ST and Saturn SG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Theyre supposed to be releasing a PC Engine Duo clone with a CD ROM drive at some point!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There are one each on Adverts, the seller is looking for €300 a piece, which seems a little high for a second hand item that can still be bought at retail, as the Americans would say.

Aye, but then again, Analogue do be quite fond of using 'the last run' term in the past before magically having more.

That said, the Super NT and Mega SG are far more popular than the likes of the Mini NT they tried that trick with, so who knows. Lovely devices though, and offer a foot in both that retro and modern that is hard to top. The MiSTer's all-emcompassing usability is fantastic and all, but I do prefer playing my Sega and Nintendo stuff on these devices. So much that I retired the originals to the box.

I'd imagine they'll be snapped up even with a year lead time, certainly the Super NT anyway as the SG was quite gettable only 9 months back or so for anyone who wanted one.

Yeah...all gone quiet on that front. If anything, the scarcity and long lead times of their other offerings probably indicates how difficult it is to put a proper roadmap. Difficult for the big boys, never mind a niche operation like theirs.

Still very much a presence on the website so perhaps it'll be addressed down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

They’d be as well off focussing on the Pocket plus dock and adapters and calm down with new hardware, especially when they’re getting people to pay up front!

I do recommend the SuperNT though, a lovely machine (and instrumental in getting me back into retro gaming).

Just guessing but I'm thinking they're going to go for a multi-system type home console with cart adaptors. Could even be just the Pocket board inside a different case so fully compatible with the OS and existing core ports maybe. Play everything up to SNES/MD and buy whatever adaptors you want real carts for.

If anyone's getting a Pocket soon you're going to love it. New cores all the time, consoles and classic arcade, and by Christmas should have all the main 8/16 bit consoles perfect I'd say. A couple of good update-scripts options to use as well, makes it a whole lot easier to grab everything and gets the modified arcade roms you need.

Given up following any dev issues/drama, it's all a bit gas tbh. Jotego's hard-locking his releases to the specific id of your device going forward (complaining that Analogue wouldn't pay him...), there's 2 NES cores on it now (Kevtris'/Analogue's and a MiSTer port) etc. I'm sure there's more going on but I can't concern myself with the tribulations of the higher beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

I got my shipment notice earlier this week and e-mail from FedEx today demanding €139 in custom fees, broken down to VAT, "other charges" and Disbursement like others seem to have got a few pages back.

What's the advice for those who've received this before? They demand payment in 7 days, should I not pay this and wait for a paper invoice in the post? I've mailed them querying the fee but not sure when I'll hear back.

Personally, I'd say wait. They'll deliver it to you regardless and you don't have to pay anything without a proper invoice - not sure what these emails are classed as, I'd guess it says something like 'estimated charges' somewhere.

Others may have experience that it always works out the same in the end, anything you're overcharged here will be refunded etc., but I've always waited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got my email to say shipping is being prepared. Cut off date for address updates is Nov 20th so hopefully I have it before Christmas.

In saying that the Playdate cut address cut off was Oct 3rd and still no sign of that. :(

Advertisement