Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That whole platform fizzled out, I haven't heard anything about it since the original release.

Any more games for it at all of note?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's some good stuff and I'm still playing the season 1 games, some of them are great. Crankin' is definitely the stand out game for me. They also have a curated store on the device now that gets updated with the best games and there's been good stuff on there.

The thing is a lot of them are short form games which is understandable because of the budgets involved. There's also a very pretentious whiff of hipster off a lot of these games. I usually don't mind this, hell hipsters do have the best food, beers, music and make the best indie games, but there's a lot of try hard stuff on there. I mean there is literally a game where you play a moustachioed hipster delivering craft beer to people on a unicycle.

But yeah I'd rather be playing Warioland 3, Astroboy or Final Fantasy Legend on an OLED screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've probably spent a few euro on content at this stage and some of it is... okay.

But I think the platform appeals to those whose first console was an Xbox 360.

Otherwise these are titles that we've seen on the Gameboy or NeoGeo Pocket, things via homebrew for those formats too.

So it has gotten precious little play from me, with the equivalent of AAA titles being released very very slowly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I may put mine up for sale, but not sure how in demand they are at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McFly85

Arrived this morning. After the briefest of tests with Golden Sun and Links Awakening DX, all I can say is the screen is absolutely gorgeous!

Cannot wait to give it a proper go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just don't bother with Golden Sun. As Kevin Spacey said in The Usual Suspects: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people that Golden Sun wasn't as awful as the game it is a spiritual successor to, Beyond the Beyond".

Master of the Universe

Golden Sun isn't any good??? That's been on my list of games to play for years, actually remember someone recommending it to me when it was new.

Not having that! Played through Golden Sun I don’t know how many times. Looks great, the music is fantastic, the combat is enjoyable(even if summon rushing can make things a bit too easy), enjoyable story too. I’ve been looking forward to going through it again.

The Lost Age is the high point, but I consider the first two one game on two cartridges anyway.

I will be downloading beyond the beyond to the steam deck, however!

Well it's not Beyond the Beyond bad, that's vying with Legend of Dragoon and Shadow Madness as the worst JRPGs on the PS1 in the West but it's just a really dull RPG. It looks nice and has a fantastic soundtrack but outside that the story is dull and the combat pretty meh. It's not outrageously bad just throw away and forgettable. I couldn't even tell you what the story was about except I fought a dragon on the top of a tower at the end and spend two weeks raging because the 16 page password wouldn't work on my copy of Golden Sun 2 until I found out US and PAL passwords weren't compatible.

I liked it myself at release but it was the first JRPG made specifically for the GBA and looks and sounds nice so there's a bit of misplaced nostalgia for it. Going back it's a bit dull and even worse, people in it don't shut up and repeat the same things. It's a bit like how in retrospect FFX is a bit **** but at the time seemed amazing as the first JRPG that felt like it was made for the PS2.

Golden Sun isn't a total thrash can fire, there's good stuff about it, but Beyond the Beyond is, no pun intended, beyond awful and dull. It's basically Golden Sun without the puzzle dungeons, nice visuals and amazing music.

Well that’s true. Golden Sun is a comfort game for me, so nostalgia is a part of it. I’ve gone through it a few times over the years and I always enjoy it - I’ve been waiting to go through it again on the Pocket. If it was a game I’d never played before I’d probably feel differently.

And I had a quick look online at beyond the beyond, yeah, not for me!

I have a few old games I’m planning to go through again, Golden Sun, The Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion and links awakening.

I did get an everdrive too so still have up look up some gems I may have missed and set those up.

• Advertisement

Plenty of gems to discover. The Pocket has really opened my eyes to how good the Gameboy, Game Gear and Master System libraries are.

Also I'd highly recommend you install the custom cores on the system as you can then load games from SD card. They're pretty much just the Analogue cores released in a wink, wink, nudge, nudge way. I'm not sure if they fixed the Gameboy though, it defaults to the GBC colour scheme since it uses the GBC core which looks naff on black and white games. Hopefully it's fixed as I've not updated the pocket in a while, I'm on a 3DS binge.

I'm looking forward to Neo Geo Pocket support. That system has an incredible library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PlunkBox

Did UPS delivery it? I had an email yesterday to say mine had shipped and another today to say it will be delivered in the morning which seems too good to be true!

They did!

Got a notification that it had been shipped on Saturday and would arrive Monday. Didn’t believe it would be that quick but arrived on Monday morning.

I did get an email on the day of delivery for an €80 import fee which was fairly painful, thankfully I had paid for the pocket well over a year ago!

I just had a look and the NGP Turbografx and Lynx adapters should be shipping Q3 2023.

Of course that would mean Analogue ship a product on time which would be a miracle.

Master of the Universe

Neo Geo pocket was one of the big reasons I kept meaning to pick one up, any word on them finally releasing the cartridge adapter for it?

How is the D pad on the pocket actually, does it hold up to Nintendo ones?

Well I checked my order and it was 2023 Q3 so hopefully soon but I expect delays with Analogue.

The d-pad is good, not nintendo quality but not far off either. It's a damn sight better than Sony and XBox excuses for d-pads.

That's great to hear, I can't wait to get my hands on mine now. Bracing myself for the import charge but like yourself I paid for the Pocket ages ago so that softens the blow.

Has anyone cleaned up the contacts on their old carts before using in Pocket (see some people recommending this)?

To follow up on this their site still has this release fate. It's usually 3 months before the open FPGA core but I also own pretty much every NGP cart worth owning already.

In fairness to Analogue their site includes all the proper charges in their shipping so no surprises with extra charges. The shipping is steep but it's because it takes this into account.

Yes indeed, can't complain about Analogue re the custom duty/fees as they are nothing to do with them (although their shipping costs are pretty steep at $60 for such a small package - but hey I paid them anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Glow in the dark Pocket.....Nah....you're alright Analogue.

Shipping next week all the same

• Advertisement

Just give me by **** Neo Geo Pocket adapter instead of dicking around like this Analogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

How is that STILL not out yet....it's just a passthrough as I understand it??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Feck knows

There is obviously core work underneath that requires work along with the adapters, and as per Jotego's updates for NGP in particular, they themselves are still trying to crack it on the OpenFPGA side with more than a few bugs standing in the way, so it's entirely possible it's slow going for Analogue (I would assume Kevtris) as well. Considering it's a selling factor for the adapters not to mention the device itself, they probably need it relatively bulletproof.

Or it could be just purely a manufacturing thing. Tied up with Pockets and whatnot (accessories look to have become available of late) . Becoming a bit of a running joke all the same, but they still saying 2023.

Pretty sure the emulator is the hold up there. But again it's not gone past their promised release timeframe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Tsk tsk, putting the word emulator on the same sentence as an Analogue product....shame

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Damn, I'm tempted again but the delivery charge and import fees just push it over the edge for me in terms of cost. €250 all-in, I'd be all over that.

Honestly think it's worth it. I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck out of it.

What does it work out at, all in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

My bad math and using Revenues direction, around €380 with device/shipping/Duty/VAT added up? That doens't include the shipping companies charge for collecting the Duty/VAT.

A very bold option would be to use a freight forwarding service from the US like shipito.com and under declared value...but that would be bad, also insurance is out the window as you'd undervalue it

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure they have all the Duty and import charges sorted so it doesn't get caught by customs.

Advertisement