Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Just an update to this for anyone else who might get this in future: I didn't pay it and they delivered the item on schedule anyway. Two weeks later I got a postal invoice and the amount was just €70 so it's definitely wise to wait and not pay the initial charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I also got an invoice for 70EUR. I miss the days when 3/5 deliveries would slip through customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mine has shipped, it's with FedEx now. Im just waiting on the customs fee now. You would think the $60 shipping fee had it built in as it was so high.

Interested in one of these. So it's around €270 and then a €70 customs charge? Are these really worth €340?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's steep but I absolutely adore mine. I get an awful lot of play out of it.

• Advertisement

Only you can decide, unlikely to ever be released in a manor that would exclude importing. Personally, It's worth it even if its steep.

Put a pre-order in. Probably be this time next year before I get one....I have no idea how much of a backlog there is! From reading back a page or two here it seems the advice is not to pay Fedex's initial custom charge.

Mine is in the country. Was on a FedEx truck yesterday due for delivery before 6. Sat in all day waiting as they have a bad habit of leaving packages out in the rain.

Got to 4:30 and the status updated to back at the FedEx facility and no delivery attempt made.

No change today, looks to be just sitting there. So not sure what is happening with it.

Every delivery with FedEx is like this for me in Dublin. It's always a few days later than expected. Once it reaches Santry and clears customs, it sits there for a couple more days. If I urgently want a delivery, I give them a ring, and then it shows up next day. Otherwise, I leave it and get it a couple of days later.

Just got delivered. 9.40 at night. Seemed to be some random guy in a van. They must be under pressure and outsourcing it.

Anyway no import fee letter. Not sure if it will be coming later in the post but I'd be delighted if it didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Any suggestions for alternatives to the Pocket? I'm just looking for something that would play GB/GBC/GBA and 16 bit games also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

There are currently no fpga based handheld alternatives to the Pocket, so you're going to be looking at software emulation, and depending on the device/specs, there's going to be wildly differing experiences.

Something like a cheap Chinese handheld is going to employ ancient emulation cores, and likely have noticeable build quality issues/input latency/low quality screens etc. One the other end of the spectrum is something like a Steamdeck, but that comes at a premium price.

There's likely a nice middle ground somewhere, but I'm not hugely up on emulation based handhelds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anbernic or Retroid Pocket would be your best bet. Build quality is generally high and you shouldn’t have any issue getting something that’ll emulate those consoles for an affordable price. I’m using an Anbernic RG351MP and it’s been a lifesaver for older libraries. It’s also a beautiful beast of a console too, so that always helps.

Thank you. Is it able to run PS1/N64/Saturn games well?

351mp would only do up to PS1 reliably, less so N64 and, Saturn emulation is generally ropey no matter the device (has that changed?) Devices from the last year or so like the Pocket 3 will get you everything up to Dreamcast and PSP. It ‘supports’ later systems like GameCube but run like arse mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saturn emulation is in an amazing state at the moment. Been throwing everything at the Beetle core on RetroArch and it's to my eyes indistinguishable from the base console.

You do however need a beast of a CPU to run it and a handheld device isn't going to cut it. So outside of a monster pc you can forget about Saturn. PS1 and N64 will work just they will be highly inaccurate and may need some fiddling with settings in the case of ps1. If you aren't a pedant like me it's probably not something that will bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

Indeed, as @Retr0gamer says, Saturn emulation has come a looooooong way over the last 24 months or so. It's in great shape. Similarly, the Saturn Mister core is trucking along in terms of active development too, and I'd say within 2023 it'll be as near as makes no difference to be being perfect.

I'd still recommend you'd check out the new gen Anbernic and Retroid gear as I think even you'd be surprised how far these things are coming along, though there's still obvious a fair few compromises. RetroGameCorps did a massive breakdown on the Pocket 3 and it was impressive enough I was half-thinking of swapping out my 351MP (I can't though, it's so metal and sexy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k0409SQpQ

I've got the analogue pocket for handheld games. For home console stuff I've gotten so used to crt filters from RetroArch that I can't go back to the blocky look so don't even bother with them on the analogue.

I have heard they are the very good but I'm happy with my set up and know I'd never use it. Also IPS screen really puts me off.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

I am conflicted whether to go for the Retroid 3+, Anbernic rg353p, the Steam Deck or just to wait for a newer model.

• Advertisement

Had to send mine for repair right after receiving it, having waited nearly 18 months for it. Very little communication from Analogue about repair status and when I can expect it back and if I have to pay 70EUR to import a second time. Been waiting to find out whats happening with it for a good 3 weeks now. Very disappointing having spent over 300 EUR.

What was the issue?

The "frame" around the display was incorrectly cut out, so at night you'd have white borders all around the screen, because the backlight wasn't covered

That's a pretty shoddy issue to get through QA in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PlunkBox

Bumping this thread to see how you existing Pocket owners are still getting on with it? I ordered mine last Oct and it looks like it might get shipped next month based on their latest shipping update (hope over experience!) so cant wait. I have lots of original carts to play in it but but looking forward to trying various cores such as the Amiga one so wondering how you are finding those?

Playing a lot of 3DS at the moment as playing SMT4 apocalypse which is long but absolutely adore the pocket. It's really transformed those handheld games as it's the best way to play them. I must update the unit to see if old school GB games are playable without it going into colour mode when using the homebrew cores. Looking forward to neo geo pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PlunkBox

Great to hear! Can't wait to get my hands on it finally. I have all the original handhelds from back in the day and have upgraded some screens to IPS and new batteries but travel a lot and having everything in one device with that amazing screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Like Retr0 says above, I'd argue its absolutely worthwhile piece of kit for anyone wanting to play their old handheld games. Screen upgrades for original devices is fine, but obviously if everything can be collected into a single device with both compatibility with your old range of carts, Everdrives and, yes, SD card support with the cores, then it's a very hard portable device to top. Certainly its screen separates it from the rest of the pack - especially with GB and GG titles.

Most cores are seeing incremental updates - likes of Pocket Sync type programs are a good way of staying up to date, but most appear relatively complete and most users would consider them functional enough. Amiga, I've not messed with too much as it's not something I'd see myself driving most days handheld, but the recent AmigaVision (MegaAGS) releases includes a slimmed down Pocket setup which is a great alternative for a lot of games that only require basic inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well, after 1 year and 3 months, my order is FINALLY being prepared. I cannot wait!

Hopefully will get it pretty soon after that.

Have a few GBA games lined up to play but really nothing else lined up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I definitely should have bought one instead of the Playdate...

Advertisement