Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Analogue Pocket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Looks like MVG had his clock set wrong and broke the embargo. Was only halfway through it myself so didn't get to the bad points. Imagine it'll be reuploaded in an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

John Linneman at DF is impressed. Hopefully makes that customs charge easier to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

A fellow Linneman fangirl? Watched his vid last night, he's actually convinced me at this point!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep. Love his videos. He knows his retro games (Wrote a few articles for HG101 too according to Kurt) and his analysis is spot on. I don't always agree with his views on modern games, he can be a bit too lenient, but I always love to hear his take on it.

But most of all it was John's glowing ranting about Ace Combat 7 that made me take a chance on that game. He's turned my attention to a fair few retro games I'd have dismissed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you have one on order? Sure you hate handhelds, sell it to me once it arrives! :D

They really do look absolutely gorgeous, I'd buy one just for playing my NGP games.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like it will ship with NGP support. That's to come later next year with the adapter which I'm hoping doesn't sell out immediately because it's one I'm really looking forward to using on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Whatever about the hardware, the adapters can’t possibly be something they can’t meet demand with. A PCB and some injection moulded plastic.

Other small manufacturers can keep a modest supply going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Won't this end up being 'jail broken' and people will just load ROMs off the SDCard?

No none on order, currently. I had a long debate with myself last night, to'ing and fro'ing over it. I'm not a fan of handheld games really....but that Linneman fella....he sold me that it's now the defacto way to experience these games, above and beyond screen mods on original hardware. Maybe I would enjoy the games better without the awful 90's screen tech? The hardware itself is absolutely beautiful, that screen. So in the end, I decided I think I want one (a white one)...because I want to get a Mister Multisystem at some point too, and this is the best way to cap off this era of handheld gaming too.

Well that was easy.....oops....

• Advertisement

Pity there's still no sign of the adapters. Analogue's usual communication levels means next to no information about when.

Seems they're handling the actual pre-ordering a lot better this time around, though I hope people are well prepared that they could have a long wait ahead of them once they get put into assigned groups in a couple days etc

Welcome to the dark side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was tempted momentarily, but pulled myself together, remembering I have the Playdate and Steamdeck both on preorder and due for delivery in Q1 '22

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh I want one, but I want the Playdate and Steam Deck more!

Really hope Analogue follow through on the warnings they've put in place around preorders being sold on eBay, such as cancellation of orders or reassignment to the back of the queue etc. How well they can enforce it I don't know, but one would hope.

It was bad enough in recent weeks seeing the original batch preorders showing up again for 1k as they'll be delivered soon, but seeing the likes of this appearing with the paid total visible is so annoying......hope anyone ignoring these and preordering on site jumps ahead of this lot.

Two per customer was a mistake but there's always ways around these things. I feel lucky I got mine.

Got a shipping notification!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Interesting read on their interaction with the mGBA emulator dev

https://endrift.com/2021/12/13/analogue-pocket-hate-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Mine’s delayed in Dublin atm and got an invoice emailed to me to be paid immediately where 45% of the total was FedEx charges.

Got on to their chat to complain and the rep said the delay was due to a backlog and it would be delivered without me taking any action.

Not sure if he’s right tbh but would feel sick to pay up to FedEx so easily. A new category called ‘other charges’ since I last got something through them. Must be nice for them!

• Advertisement

Yeah I got the same. 68 euro customs turns into 130 euro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So wait, you've already paid for Fedex's postal charge and now they're adding 45% on top of 68 euro custom's charge in addition? And here was me giving out about the 3.50 An Post admin fee!! that's scandalous.

It's for all the hard work it takes to get the package through customs and the privilege of them holding it on to the package as well as indignity they have to endure.

It would be nice to tell them to **** off and you'll ring customs yourself and pay the bill and to not bother their arse with their 'extra service'.

They even give a break down of what every charge is for in the bill which amounts to doing very little when you read into it.

Technically it's 90% they've added on top!

Mine breaks down to €74 in customs, and an additional €64 to FedEx for the 'convenience' of them paying/handling it for me.

Scandalous is the word. Pretty sure it's very shaky legally as well - I have no contract with FedEx, that's with Analogue. I may owe the state some money, that's a different matter.

All for a package that was supposed to arrive yesterday before 12pm and currently has no estimated delivery date. Swines.

I believe the 'other charges' is the extra 25% levy on top of the standard import rate put in place as part of the tariff war between the US and EU that came into effect last year. Was related to airline subsidies originally if I recall correctly, but a number of other commodities were captured in the penalty.....one of which was unfortunately video game consoles.

Found that out to great cost last year importing a NT Mini, which if it had shipped on the original release date would have avoided it, but because the tariffs came into place in Nov (I think), it got stung. Had another import earlier this year that didn't get penalised, but it turns out that there was only a 4-5 month suspension of the trade dispute around the middle of the year, so its back in effect since late summer. I've heard of a number of people challenging the charge with some lucky managing to escape in all the confusion, others having their items delayed, and in at least one unverified case of unpaid fees, the NT was sent back to Analogue as, technically the FedEx shipping contract lies with the shipper, not the receiver. Dunno how true that was bit sounds like a nightmare situation. Certainly their handling charge is somewhat exorbitant considering the upfront fee, so always hear about people challenging that. Get a supervisor on the phone on a good day and they probably don't want the hassle :)

Haven't had a chance to check out the Pocket yet. Arrived yesterday, but work has me tied up so won't be able to check it out till tomorrow or so hopefully. After waiting this long, sure what's another couple days.

Edit - quick Google about the suspension here. Obviously never resolved it in the end.......or they did, and FedEx are taking the proverbial piss.

Hopefully decent news of an arrival some point next year for nearly anyone who ordered on the 14th

Ah, I had no idea about that, maybe I was being unfair to them so. The last thing from the US I got was the mega sg where the $240 cost incurred €55 charges. This time $350 had €138, just assumed it was FedEx being robbing b*st*ds lol.

Got an update today to say it had cleared customs and would be delivered Monday so I’ll see what happens. No rush to set it up either really and might leave it for something to do over Christmas tbh but relieved to see such positive reviews for it all around. Was a little wary of Analogue making something that had to feel good in the hand/in use rather than sitting on a shelf.

I got a mister in the last year so the dock isn’t as big a draw anymore, not sure if I’ll even open it tbh. Will wait to see what happens in regards to cores probably.

Otherwise just regretting I didn’t go for the white version. Thought the bezels might be more noticeable on it, or worse there would be a screen gap, but it looks stuuuuunnning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Why not just buy this one on adverts.ie - only 800 Euro - Bargain !

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/analogue-pocket-black/25650639

That should probably go into the dreamer of the year thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Got an email from Fedex this afternoon saying I owed €183 on this delivery.

Import duty €1.72
    Tax (VAT) €90.32
    Other charges €72.89
    Disbursement fee €18.45 

The Tax and Disbursement fee (and I guess import duty?) make sense (although the VAT seems about €30 too high) but the random, vague "other charges" item is a joke. Will be ringing them tomorrow to try and figure out what's happening there. Have heard of someone on Slack who didn't get hit with the "other charges", just normal VAT, so would be interested to hear how other Boards users get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You should call them to have a breakdown of the 'other charges.' Never know, you might be able to plead a case to avoid some

Advertisement