Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭newport2

There's a court hearing in February about it, until then LIV golfers can play on European/DPS tour

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭eireyiddo

Mad carry on, grace there too. Necks like jockeys ba lucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What you mean “snuck back”?

he is a member of the tour and allowed to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The Saudi's have gotten to you Seve, haven't they ?

How big was the dump truck they drove up to your house ? Tell them a wheelbarrow will be enough for me :)

I’d share the wheelbarrow with ya….. I’m not greedy 🤣

I'll use better English next time pal. I'm looking forward to seen all your LIV attire for the 2023 society curtain raiser. We might even play some music around the courses we play. Get a real carnival atmosphere going. Might even get an away day to Jeddah or something.

These lads are having their cake and eating it. It can be dressed up whatever way you want. I've no problem with them making shed loads of cash to play on an exhibition tour albeit a shite, soulless one, but they need stay their till they're tour returns.

Surely there's loads of youtube fans they could be entertaining in they're off season. I'd personally like to see Patrick reed playing a hotdog eating contest with westwood or dechambollix been force fed 1 too many protein shakes. Maybe Johnson could bring his missus out for a round

I can keep the ideas coming for what I think these lads could be doing no problem.

Well for starters you have me all wrong cause I don’t watch LIV, couldn’t give a toss about it to be honest.

but yes, you did get me interested when you brought up the idea of force feeding deshambles. Bryson de foie gras. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I agree with @eireyiddo LIV doesnt bother me the fact they want their cake and everything else does! 99.9% said they where going for more time with family etc but yet here they are on DP tour wanting to be in the Majors on the Ryder cup etc etc You choose to go you knew the consequences.. Close the door on your way out 👋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

I can get on board with that sentiment towards the US players, but can't see the logic towards the Europeans tbh. The top Europeans have always played elsewhere (ie PGA Tour) once they get to a certain status in the game. They'd play the bulk of their season in the States and come back for a few select events in Europe, usually to maintain their membership or Ryder Cup eligibility. How is playing the LIV tour and coming back for a few select events in Europe any different ?

Like, as an example, The Memorial is on 1st June next year, which presumably someone like a Rory will play in. The opposite event in Europe is the European Open in Germany. If Rory isn't in Germany, what difference is it to the European Tour what he's doing that week ? He could be playing Jack's event or off fishing for the week, but he's not in Germany. He'll be welcomed back with open arms in September for the Irish and the BMW in Wentworth, and rightly so. If he was playing a LIV event how is that different ? (I know he's not a LIV player). I can't see why a LIV player playing a LIV event (ie not playing in Europe) in a given week is any different. Maybe its just as simple as the European Tour have a rule that you can't be a member of LIV.

All that said, I don't really care either way, I don't like LIV and have watched exactly 1 hole of LIV golf. I don't miss any of the players that have gone, particularly the likes of Sergio, Westwood, Poulter et al., I just can't get the logic of a European Tour ban, especially when the tour is almost on its knees.

• Advertisement

I suppose in my opinion they jumped for money straight away and didn't care about the consequences. They knew the LIV tour had no ranking points etc and they could be banned from the Majors, PGA & DP tours etc They didnt care! Why because of money & greed IMO. Now they have gone they want it all. Aswell as that these guys are already multi millionaires. I would of had more respect from them if they just went and stayed on the LIV tour. Plus by them playing on the DP tour they are taking spots away from up and coming players who are trying to make it and are not multi millionaires..

I love golf, Playing it, plus the History that comes with it.. I have been lucky enough to have played some of the best courses in the world ST Andrews & TPC Sawgrass. I would love to be involved in Golf in some way for a living, It be a dream to play it for a living just to play it not to become a multi millionaire! Like if I could earn 40 or 50 grand a year and play golf for the rest of my life. I'd die a very happy man.

These guys have it all and the LIV guys just want more IMO.. I like to think the likes of Rory, Tiger, Lowry, Spieth etc Feel when they walk down the fairways of St Andrews or Augusta that this is something special! how lucky am I! Every time they play them and not just think of money.. Because thats how I felt and I will never forget how I felt standing on the first tee of St Andrews or TPC especially. It brings me Joy and I will remember it on my death bed regardless of how many times I play them. If of course I ever get to play them again. 😂

Now in saying that I am not a PGA fan boys I would love the European tour/DP tour to be able to rival it and it sadden me over the years how the PGA pulled further & further away.. Like LIV could of bought the European tour or invested heavily in it to match the PGA now that would of been something.. But instead they want it all..

Totally agree with that, they absolutely went for the money and no other reason IMO. But, and I'm slightly playing devil's advocate, is Rory or Lowry doing the same thing by taking a spot from an up and coming player if they decide to come back from Florida and tee it up in a smaller Euro event as opposed to Poulter ? OK, I know they're members of the tour etc. and I'd have no issue with them doing it. Meh, I don't know, like I say, it doesn't really bother me, I don't and won't watch LIV coz I don't like the format or most of the players, I'm just not convinced the ET have handled it as well as they could have.

Edit, as an aside, Sawgrass is really special isn't it ?

Post edited by eireyiddo on

@Russman Yes it is 😎 Always has been and always will be my favourite course I love the Players more than Augusta believe it or not just think the drama on the finishing holes is more intense when you have a few tied for the lead.

On the devils advocate bit.. I think Rory & Lowry are playing them events to support the tour as they will draw the crowds. I think LIV players are doing it for ranking points they have shown they dont care about any tour or the History of the game. Just my opinion. 😊

Good man @benny79 , I'd pay good money seeing Ian Poulter sneezing with his eyes forced to stay open or something. Anything but him playing golf. They'll all be dropped like a hot snot when they've better golfers to fill the 48 slots available for each of these events. Bit of luck the PGA hit them with appropriate fines and make them grovel and beg publically to get back in after they win that court case next year. Ultimately I'd be happier if none are seen competing again for any PGA event. I can see a load of them has beens changing there tune to get back on the seniors tour when they're thrown to touch.

Post edited by eireyiddo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Trampas

Eldrick come out and said Norman needs to go. https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12758045/tiger-woods-says-greg-norman-must-leave-liv-golf-to-enable-talks-with-the-pga-tour

i agree with Elrick that Norman needs to go and probably Jay needs to go also. It’s personal with them and thus makes it harder to resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I can't see either happening, especially Jay. If you look at it from a purely neutral point of view then you could argue that neither of them has done anything wrong. Of course nobody is unbiased in this whole affair but it does make an interesting prospect that some sort of compromise could be reached if they both agreed to step down form their roles.

Doesn’t matter if they have done anything wrong, if they hinder what the stakeholders want to achieve, they will be gone. If the Saudis think Norman is a hindrance to what they want to achieve, he will be jettisoned.

I think the tours will need to be seen to be extracting a pound of flesh as well, to justify sitting at the table with LIV, and Norman will probably count for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, Norman will be the "price" of "negotiations"

Well hes adamant he won't be going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Will he be the one deciding if he stays or not though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Its still youtube for those in Ireland who watch it thought isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

No, not on their website either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's surely counter productive altogether, having nobody in Europe able to watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Counterproductive to sign a deal with this unknown anyhware at all, you'd think? What's an equivalent product? The local credit union? A mouse trap manufacturer? A hairnet supplier? Like ffs, this thing is months from imploding.

The reality is LIV has an unlimited supply of funds. Implosion is highly unlikely. If things do go wrong, it is likely to be defections from LIV back to the PGA Tour, I’ve read that Koepke has buyers remorse.

Will the pga tour take him back or any player back who’s gone over.

For all the talk about new players going to sign up over winter nobody got any heads turning.

I.think they'd agree to get them a slot on a lower level or allowed get sponsor exemptions for regular events then they'd earn their way in.

Thought 6 or 7 from like top 20 or 30 were coming...they've signed up 2 from outside that range and there's only 2 slots left on the teams so not going as they had planned. Had been talk about players getting announced mid-Genesis but that was either crap or pushed out due to cold feet by players.

• Advertisement

LIV now have Latin American players sown up, may be not relevant to us but I'm sure another chipping away at the PGA.

Meantime the best women in the world at the Saudi this week and not a word mentioned (not to mention the entire tour being Saudi backed)

The women getting same amount as men?

South Africans also all signed up but I’d be confident the pga tour wouldn’t care about them

Another angle is if these LIV guys bulk up the bank balance after a year or 2 on LIV and find they don’t like the format they may defect back to PGA Tour if the PGA will have them.

I'd say there wouldn't be half as much a reaction if LIV had pumped money into an existing tour rather than start one themselves. Let alone then the bitching about the world rankings, the pathetic excuses for players joining etc. Like if they had just lured some of the players to play more Asian Tour events (or maybe MENA Tour) that was backed, people would be far more ambivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pieters and Brendan Steele the latest to join apparently. As talented as Pieters is I don't think he's a great loss, and I'd wager 99.9% of golf fans wouldn't be able to pick out Brendan Steele in a lineup, nevermind casual fans.

I follow golf and never even heard of Brandon Steele. Pieters is a big grumpy moanbag. If that's who LIV are signing now its running out of steam.

Pieters moaning about not getting on the timesheet this week on pga tour. Maybe eldrick got wind of it and decided you’re not getting on the timesheet or Norman pounced with his moaning and threw him a few quid and that was him done.

Are liv allowed in wgc?

I thought the original approach was to partner with the then called European Tour

That'd been under the thumb of Abu Dhabi so was less likely to happen, hence why didn't list it down originally. Maybe Asian tour has similar backing anyway but doubt it

• Advertisement

Its interesting. It could easily be that alright. Or could he have gotten word (however informal) about how the arbitration hearing went the other week and figured he'd still be safe to play DP World events ? Seems odd for a top-ish European to jump now before the results of the arbitration are known. Or maybe it was simply just a boatload of cash and he thought ".....f--k it".

Also reporting Danny Lee along with Brendan Steele

Who gets the cut I wonder. Neither of the 3 will get more eyes watching. Chase must be worried if brooks leaves as he’ll be out the door just as quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Pieters is a top European player. Danny Lee looked a worldbeater like Ishikawa at a young age, but hasn't progressed beyond journeyman fringe competitor. Would have a large enough antipodean/asian profile though.

They have too many American non-entities now like Gooch, Steele, Perez, Uihlein, Na, Chase, Swafford, Tringale, Howell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Seems like anyone joining now is probably doing so before the money tap is turned off. Can't see any more big defections of players in their prime like Cam Smith but you never know

For me, Uihlein is the outlier in that group considering his dad was CEO of Tileist, who must have had a long relationship with the PGA and European tours. But I do agree, most of the guys are not household names competing regularly.

I watched the Full Swing series over the weekend, and realised I haven’t a clue how Cam Smith has played golf since St Andrews. These guys have fallen off the golfing radar since leaving the tour.

3 confirmed but no mention who gets the cut as always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Detailed write up on history of how it kicked off on bunkered website today.

Can't link to it for some reason, kicking out a block on boards.

Can get to it via this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not that I ever imagined I'd feel sorry for LIV guys - as they made their bed.

But they guys getting dropped - is a tough world. Some of them were only starting out - seemed a bit naïve perhaps. But they now have to find their way back into a career. Does their "ban " apply in DP world tour. They at the very least have to get a card - and as we know that is nightmare stuff.

be interesting to see how the return on investment is going. They must be getting very little in return at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, think I saw something about Norman talking about making cash through merchandising, which seems like a major reach

Each event must cost minimum of 30 million. Very little in gate receipts. That’s a lot of t shirts etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement