Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Whats obvious is your missing the other stipulation on ranking points. Just be happy they've wads of cash

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So some stipulations are not as important as others?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Go read the rules around no cut events and ranking points

• Registered Users Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I see Jay Monaghan and Keith Pelley sit on the board of the OWGR!!

It's never going to happen lads!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

No reason they can’t get it once they follow the criteria. Liv just want to look for loopholes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If some of the selling points by LIV, and what makes it appealing to LIV players (apart from the millions put into their bank accounts) is a 3 day comp/qualifying/cut, I really don’t see why people think the rules should be changed to allow ranking points. Both LIV, and the players knew the rules on this before the first LIV tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Well explained. You suffer fools better than I do. Be happy with the few bob lads. Get fu@ked thinking your having a bite at a major. In a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

The criteria for OWGR is continually changing so it is a poor excuse to exclude the LIV tour. If the PGA Tour wanted to run a 54 hole event then I guarantee that they would be allowed to do so.

There used be a minimum field size but OWGR were quite happy to allow Tiger to host an 18 player event with world ranking points.

The European & Australian Tour had an event where the last day was a 6 hole matchplay event. There was no problem giving that event world ranking points.

Personally, I think there should be no issue with limited field events with no cut having a world ranking points. I would only allocate points to the top half finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Those were exceptions, they are not the normal format for those tours. That's the difference. LIV want all their tournaments to be exceptions and still get OWGR points..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yes OWGR does change, but there seems to be this expectation that this will just be a done deal. To remind ourselves of the makeup of the OWGR board.

The 4 majors are represented (USGA CEO Mike Whan, R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers, PGA of America executive director Seth Waugh, Augusta National Golf Club executive director Will Jones) PGA & DP tour are represented (PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan, DP World Tour CEO Keith Pelley) International federation of PGA tours (Kieth Walters) & Chairman Peter Dawson (former chair of the R&A). 4 of the seven votes are the majors - they (if all in agreement) will decide on this.

How many years of Tigers event before it received ranking points???

On the others, you're picking some individual exceptions that form part of a much bigger tour that the vast majority of tournaments do meet all requirements. What LIV is looking for is to allow all their tournaments (none of which meet the criteria) be included.

Do I think eventually the LIV golfers should get OWGR points, I think so. But do I believe they should have to follow the process, and meet some of the most basic requirements - yes 100%, which they are far from doing right now.

I've no idea why people persist in the view that the OWGR would change its rules to accommodate the LIV tour. The changes would be so fundamental as to render all past rankings meaningless. And this is somehow required so that a tour that has set itself up to be completely different from the existing tours as a unique selling point, can be accommodated within a system that it purports to be completely different from and is resistant to any change to further that goal. It's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

This is it summed up nicely.

Maintaining a minimum criteria is essential to the system’s integrity.

Otherwise what should happen if say the top 32 players on LiV create a subset of tournaments solely for their own exclusive membership? Should these qualify for OWGR points? What if it’s the top 16 players only? And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

I think there's a lot of truth in this. Comparing LIV golfers and PGA/DPWT golfers from a formal rankings perspective is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Nobody doubts DJ is a top player, but how do you compare someone who plays exclusively in 54 hole, no-cut events with someone competing in 72 hole events with the pressure of a cut after 36 ? I fear we could end up with something like boxing or darts with competing authorities and pools of players. Honestly I think giving LIV events in their current format, ranking points isn't going to happen and would almost be as bad as Tiger's event getting ranking points back in the day. Personally I don't agree with small size, limited field events (bar Majors) getting points. Too much like the top 10/20 deciding to play each other and gain ranking points to pull further ahead of the rest who aren't even there.

I suppose the supporters of LIV would say, none of this would matter if the guys were just still allowed to play their old tours and disappear to LIV when their 14 events were on. Almost like play the LIV tour on your weeks off.

That last point could end up being moot (assuming they end up able to play their old tours) when you consider that they'd have maybe eight to ten events in which to try and maintain their OWGR position. But that's a tall order, never mind trying to advance in the rankings. Everyone else (outside LIV) will have 20+ events a year to play with.

And even eight to ten would be tough work, especially if they don't qualify for majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I think ultimately LIV will get OWGR points but they'll be a lot less than PGA Tour events. Players will probably have to be finishing top 5 to get any reasonable amount of points and it will be a big struggle to stay in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Totally agree - I think this is what will play out eventually...

That's quite possible alright, but I would think they'd have to make some effort to align with the OWGR requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If they do get OWGR it will be reduced (due to 54 holes, reduced field and no cut) so there will be massive pressure on their players at the majors to do well to bring SOF over to LIV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

For me, the pathway to the tour is a big one. You can't be getting OWGR simply because you got invited to a tour because your brother is Brooks Koepka. After that, they can dilute the points based on 54 holes, no cut and small field.

• Advertisement

I get the impression that they want to have their cake and eat it too. We'll see if they will compromise towards the OWGR, but I'm not seeing it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Of course they want their cake and eat it. Thats what happens with rich greedy people.

LIV will never get ranking points. Ever. The fact people think they will shows how powerful money and propaganda is but it’s all in vain.

Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I don't think it's in any doubt that they will get OWGR points eventually.

Just shows you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. It will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Because they have loads of the best players in the world.

And the OWGR is there to rank the......best players in the world.

Wow...patronising.

I bow down to thee klopparama internet man.

I guess time will tell but trust me if they do get OWGR i'll be back here to reply to this post. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And what makes you so sure it will never happen?

fact is

none of us know whether they will or won’t

I guess it will all come down to how much they will be willing to drop their trousers by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The ranking points per event are weighted depending on the field rating.

LIV hope to get the best golfers in the world, If LIV were to get the top 30+ golfers and be awarding equal points, their events would be awarding more than other events as a result and then it would be almost mandatory to be part of it to be a top world player(ranking wise) & have even more of a hook than regular tours where there is freedom of entry with also the chance of being booted based purely on performance.

It is illogical that an invitational only group could monopolize the rankings if they do get equal rating. I can see them getting something but it will have to be a tiny proportion of a regular tour event.

It'll end up like F1 drivers having to buy their way in to be part of the elite.

Regarding the CJ cup, it has a qualification criteria so is open to all golfers, so is not comparable.

Advertisement