Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options
  • 28-10-2022 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

The DUP refusing to let Sinn Fein have First Minister means a December Assembly Election. Will the numbers change in a fresh Election?

What parties seats are vulnerable or who might make gains in any constituencies ??

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Alliance won the last seat in 7 Constituencies which could see them do well to retain all their seats.

TUV were eiminated in final count in 5 seats so they could gain , SDLP lost out in final count in 3 seats.

Hard to see Sinn Fein gaining anymore seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ordinarily you'd expect some kind of backlash against the parties who ensured that parliament could not convene. However, there's a counter argument that both the DUP & TUV are already down to their core vote and this is exactly what their core voters wanted them to do.

Turnout might be the defining variable, given that the last election was only in May. The last parliament didn't even sit and that might breed some voter apathy with some voters, particularly from the non-sectarian parties.

There's only been 2 polls and they appear to show similar enough numbers to what the parties polled in the May election (apart from one of the polls showing the DUP with a +3% bump).

So maybe DUP to win a seat or two back from the Alliance but probably not a lot of changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bmc58

Plus ca change,plus c'est la meme chose. ..sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Surely there will be some backlash against the DUP for their behaviour over the last 6 months? They've gone all-in against the NIP to capture the the rabid TUV vote, to the detriment of any moderate support they may have had. Don't think they are going to gain back any floating voters from UUP or Alliance with the shenanigans since the summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In the impending election could a united front from those parties that were willing to take their seats in the assembly aid that backlash?

Or is that even a likely tactic given tha fractious nature of NI politics?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this point, does voter apathy help or hinder the main parties? My initial instinct is it helps the likes of DUP or TUV cos its angry hardcore will get out and vote either way, while the jaded undecideds and pragmatists simply not showing up? Why bother if there'll be another election in 6 months?

Conversely. I also see a scenario where those same demographics punish the intransigence of the DUP for nuking Stormont like bully boys taking home the ball that isn't theirs. It's hard to know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not really easy to do that with STV. Pacts ensured the SDLP took South Belfast, Alliance North Down and SF North Belfast in the last GE but that was FPTP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,516 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Surely a backlash or at least antipathy towards the DUP.

Only a complete fool can't see this is their fault and they have been a disaster since Brexit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect the vote they got last time is perfectly happy with that.

There could be some change in Alliance/UUP voting. Don't think there's any way that Alliance would be second overall, or UUP biggest Unionist, which would both allow a way out of this by forcing the DUP in to opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the people of Northern Ireland do not show their anger at the disgraceful contempt shown by the DUP then frankly they deserve everything they get.

• Advertisement

One problem for them is the line of being "the only way to stop Sinn Fein" has taken a dent.

Wouldn't be surprised to see their overall vote number down if maybe not actual seats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe not a formal pact but a joint statement expressing their willingness to engage in the democratic process and get the institutions back up and running again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If Sunak ditched the Protocol bill passing through the HoL, them the DUP are up s**t creek without a paddle.

Now could he do that? Would he do that? Should he do that?

After all, it was Truss's bill, and she is totally discredited. He still has to deal with Braverman though.

He can claim a victory in that the EU have agreed to reduce the checks to next to nothing - until they find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

Just say for hypothetical sake if the DUP are returned as the biggest party, I'm just a bit curious of what they do. Will they continue their absence from Stormont or will they actually try and form an executive because quite frankly if it's the latter that's probably going to end power sharing for good as we can all see what their actual motive in the last 6 months have actually been about.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There needs to be some robust fact checking by NI's media on claims being made and maybe some would be convinced away from the DUP who are now just lying through their teeth. First Sammy Wilson, touting 'many business men' talking to him and then Jeffery making bogus and sensational claims about the Protocol delaying heart surgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I would think most if not all the DUP voters support their actions and will stay with them .I wonder will the Unionist vote be better managed this time just to make the DUP the largest even if they stay out of things . It really sickened them the last time with SF being the leading party so I would expect a bit of coming together to end that. Really can't see a huge shift in the votes overall with two sides with completely different outlooks .Also think most Alliance are Unionists if push comes to shove .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

It could be argued that the current impasse is at the design of the UK government. They need a perceived conflict with Eu in order to perhaps make more gains in the trade pact. Once NI Protocol is sorted,they lose that weapon.

They (UK Government0 have held off any negotiations/discussion on the NI protocol since Oct 2021, i.e. a whole year. If they wanted to sort this they would have engaged in September with the EU.

I think NI is still a useful point of conflict for UK to use at the moment

Theres a fair chance DUP could gain a seat or two and retake first place. They will allow the Assembley reconvene in that situation.

The DUP operate a bit like South Africa white parties operated years ago .

No election in 2022.

UK opts to continue the stalemate. My suspicion is they are about to sell out the DUP and reach an agreement on the Protocol. Stormont may be history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not necessarily. They have 11 more weeks to hold the election. That allows them to hold one in January.

I wouldn't fancy having to campaign in January!

• Advertisement

A delay is probably better for the smaller parties who must be almost bankrupt from the constant election campaigns up there.

SDLP are pushing a fundraising draw quite hard currently, for one.

All the parties have been on near constant campaign for something since 2014 (2014 locals/euros, 2015 GE, 2016 referendum, 2016 assembly, 2017 assembly, 2017 GE, 2019 local/euro, 2020 GE, 2022 assembly)

And barely a working government between any of them.

Watching TG4 covering Down Royal race meeting today at the minute, surprised the DUP havent put a stop to any Irish been spoken in the heart of DUP country.

Great coverage by the way on Terrastrial television of a big race meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Extremely rare I agree with francie, but pretty close here. There is a significant possibility Stormont will never restart.

gov knew the outcome of any election was further wipeout for SDLP & uup. Alliance and sf main ting vote as a minimum and DUP regaining the lost ground of the last election. Dup would simply have had a stronger mandate to stay out of Stormont.

I reckon there is a fudge coming from Uk/eu which will be presented to the people, thereby taking the wind out of the DUP sails.

I think we are looking at increased risk of a return to violence - initially low level.

The DUP are being sidelined/thrown under the bus again. The world will move on without them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While it's now trite to invoke Carson's most famous(?) quote about the Tories, if the DUP don't brace themselves for another inevitable and sudden inspection of the underside of a bus, they're even bigger idiots than they present themselves in the public domain. I don't believe there'll be any "fudge" from the EU, or the UK; after all, the Protocol IS the fudge and supposed solution to the NI promised; as before it's only political convenience that allowed the DUP and NI to remain relevant in the conversation. Prime Minister Sunak seems ... apathetic at best to the whims of a bunch of ageing Omniphobes. Power flows from Westminister, this is only going to end one way.

At what stage does it because inaccurate for us to say "thrown under" the bus.

It happens so often that surely it is now "existing prone on the road waiting for the next bus". Its not like they have even gotten up since the last bus. They are at this stage road furniture.

And their favourite bus maker is now owned by a Catholic!

• Advertisement

It'll remain accurate while the DUP affect their bulletproof, earnest belief they somehow hold sway over the Tories, believe their promises, or think they can stand with their finger in the dyke indefinitely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement