Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

funny thing at about my slow jogs was that they weren't actually faster then walking.

I was walking with a women in front of me who was also walking.

Decided to go to an easy jog but I didn't even went faster then her walking pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Well done everyone. It was a great day but I found the second half really tough going. I knew all the advice was to go out nice and steady for the first half. But I didnt listen and got caught up in the buzz. My pace was way too fast, heart rate was high and I was sweating a lot. Paid for it in the second half. I'm glad to have finished and am proud to tick the marathon off the bucket list. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing another one 😅

Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone in McGrattons afterwards. I wasn't in great shape and was hobbling around for quiet a while before I made my way back to the hotel. Thanks again to the mentors.

Chip time 4.46

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

When I had started training my goal was to get to 4.14 - which was half way between my previous time & 4 hours & I came in at 4.14.36 so I guess that's a successful run. 2 days on - no major injuries & only positive memories- so I cant complain.

About a month ago I would have expected to get a bit better than this but some illness & injury meant I wasn't able to finish out my training the way I wanted.

I started the race with 2 people that I knew who all came in around the same time as me but they had gone on ahead of me by the time we entered the park. So in my own head I was keeping the pace slow but I was still actually going a bit faster than I had planned. Castleknock was a great boost with some family there supporting & of course the large crowds & music etc.

In the second section back in the park I fell when for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to go onto the grass to pass someone out & my foot went from underneath me as soon as I stepped onto the ledge. Didn't do any damage other than a bruised ego & some dirty knees. Although I was 100% fine a few people stopped to make sure I was ok etc which was really nice.

By the time I reached the 1/2 way mark I had to stop twice for toilet break which is not something that I would normally have had any issue with it.

After 1/2 way I was feeling strong & generally passing people out which probably should have been a warning sign. Maybe I was trying to make up for the 2 toilet breaks to an extent. At about 32kms in I started to feel strain but kept it together till about 36km at which point I did a few km where UU was walking for 30 seconds in each KM. I made sure to run the final 2km to the finish & the final stretch was a real thrill. Saw a good few people in the crowd I knew which gives you such a boost when you need it. I was a bit disappointed that I had not managed to finish it out stronger but overall I was happy & it really was a fantastic experience & I will be re applying for 2023.

Again - thank you to all the coaches who provided such great support & advice (which sadly I didn't always follow 100%) & to the fellow group members who I have enjoyed following their progress for the last few months. Well done to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

My race report. Warning its a long one! 

I had my entry back from 2020 where I was younger and fitter and had actually been running quite a lot, once lockdown hit I stopped running and got lazy/put on weight. 

Switch to this year where every month I'm telling myself I really need to start training for the marathon but I foolishly didn't. I briefly trained in May and did about 30km over the course of the month, then in June I ran the tallaght 5 mile and nothing else.  

In July I hadn't done any running up until the fingal 10km and with the heat and lack of training I had a horrible day so I knew I had to properly focus on training for DCM in 3.5 months or else I'd be fully screwed.

Joined the boards group in June but didnt follow any plans (or runs for that matter) until after the Fingal 10km where i started using the Hal Higdon plan. No particular reason why I chose this over the boards plan just liked the simplistic elements to it. 

Training was going really well up until September where I caught covid so that was 10 days no running (including missing the HM) and with 8 weeks left until the marathon I was worried. Started back training and all was going well until 2 weeks later where I got a chest infection, again another week of no training. Back to it to complete the 20mile run and I felt good..until last weekend. Woke up on Saturday with a high temperature of 39.9 and spent the day in bed, got more antibiotics just in case it was an infection and only got to do one 6km run before the marathon.

Spent the week trying to formulate a plan for the marathon but decided that any time I wanted was not going to happen so go with a more achievable target. 

Decided to go out at 6 min per km which would bring me home around 4:14 and even if I had to slow down for the second half or the last 10km I would be in a good position for around 4:20 - 4:30 ish.

Woke up on race day, breakfast made and said goodbye to the wife and kids and my daughter made sure she had her sign ready and her clapper ready so I would see her. 

Headed into town and parked up, walked over to the bag drop and then around to the start line.

I was in the third wave ( dropped down to be with more realistic pacers even though I wasn't using them) my goal was to keep the 4:10 pacers in my sight and let them slowly drift away as I'd be running about 5 seconds slower than them per km. 

And then we were off, I crossed the start line and got goosebumps as this was the moment I had been waiting for 2 years, I WAS OFFICIALLY RUNNING IN A MARATHON!!

1-10km

I had such an amazing feeling for these few km, the crowds in town were amazing and there was such a buzz that the marathon was back. People were looking out there windows and on their balcony shouting down. Everything felt comfortable and my pacing was perfect. When we turned the corner on to Chesterfield avenue in the park the crowds were incredible. 

All through the park the support was really good. It's a bit of a drag but it didn't really bother me as I was still on a high that I was finally running the marathon. Pace was perfect for this and finished my first 10km in 1 hour and 10 seconds 

10km -20km 

I'd read so much about the support I. Castleknock that I was expecting something huge as soon we came out of the park and I was only when we got in towards Myos that I realised what everyone had been talking about before. It took my completely by surprise, there was a runner dressed up like a wrestler or superhero and he was getting the crowds going ever more and the noise was amazing. Back in the park and around inchicore was amazing aswell. 

My favourite sign I saw was here " Worst Parade Ever" 😂 also saw a house with some girlos who were most definitely still awake drunk from the night before and it made me giggle. 

Turned the corner at dolphins barn and got goosebumps again, the noise was amazing and hit 20km with pace being (nearly) perfect again 20km in 2 hours 15 seconds. 

20km -30km

The run up Crumlin was a drag but the support was good so I didn't really mind too much, I just focused on getting to the walkinstown roundabout as my brother and nephews were waiting and then my wife was at bushy park with my daughter. Only 7km more until you get to see them!!

The support at walkinstown was incredible and I spotted my brother as soon as I turned the corner, seeing someone cheering you on like this gave me such a boost ( not speed wise unfortunately just mentally) however it was at this part of the race I felt myself slowing down, my legs were a tiny bit sore but that was expected and I knew if I tried to keep pushing for pace I'd be done so I slowed down and kept my head and just got it done.

Seeing my baby girl and my wife at bushy park was amazing, my daughter was delighted because she had an energy pack for me ( Lucozade and 2 hi5 gels) and her giant sign she made so I wouldn't miss her. My wife took a video of me coming up and I've watched it on repeat numerous times because her little face when she sees me is priceless.

Although my pace was gone slower I was still happy enough, 30km in 3 hour 5 mins so averaging around 6:10 ish.

30-40km 

This is where my legs just gave up, I had to stop and walk multiple times. It felt like I still had energy in my legs but I just couldn't move them as much as I wanted to. Every now and again I'd get bursts of energy when seeing the 20 mile sign or realising there was only 8km left. I was doing mental maths in my head to see what time I'd come out with. At this stage I didn't really care what time I was going to get, I just wanted to get over the line. 

I was counting my steps, I'd run and count to 200 then walk for 10 then run for 300 walk for 10, then I'd get distracted by something and power on for the next 1km.

Heartbreak Hill wasn't bad at all, maybe cause I run in quite hilly places but I kept thinking I wonder when its coming up then I was flying down fosters avenue so I had already done it! Mental win for myself!!

The last 5km pretty much followed the first 5km in this, run for a bit then walk for a few seconds. The support I received throughout this whole area was immense. Everyone was calling my name telling me to keep going and I was doing great and honestly it spurred me on so much.

40km in 4 hours 19 mins

The last 2 km was the most horrific and most beautiful thing I have ever done in my life. Physically and mentally I was done but hearing people who I've never met before screaming my name was unbelievable, I tried to explain it to family but I just can't. Those crowds pushed me to a place where I didn't even think was possible and I still can't get over it. My wife was sending me messages throughout the race and they were coming through on my watch and at this stage she text me "On the home stretch now babe. You can do this" When I was saw the finish line I got really emotional, this was it. Everything you have trained the last few months. All the sacrifices. You're doing it. Then I passed the finish line with my hands raised above my head in a glass case of emotions. You've just ran a marathon and I honestly had to fight back tears. I collected my medal, goody bag and hobbled around to the bag collection. Got changed and headed back towards the car. 

Final time for my first ever marathon: 4 hours 34 mins and I'm effing delighted with every single bit of that. Yes I wanted a little bit faster and yes the final 10km could of gone better but I didn't care. 

I had started training later than i should have so on 3 and a half months training this was amazing. Also when I looked back over my long runs, because of the different times I was sick I only ever did 2 runs over 20km. One was a 23km and the other was a 32 km. All my other runs were shorter slow runs. Which explains why I just didn't have the gas in the legs after 30km.

I just want to say Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the support over the last few months and especially to our three mentors for all their hard work and dedication to this thread but also all of us novices. You have no idea how much I appreciated every comment and feedback!! 

So what's next is the big question..well I'm already signed up for the Manchester marathon in April and plan on signing up for DCM 2023 the minute I get the code for early access. I have unfinished business with the streets of Dublin 💪

*Edit for formatting

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

Dublinlad1989… the problem with posts and race reports like yours is now,despite swearing that I’m finished doing the Dublin Marathon, I read a report like that and think to myself, do you know what it is an amazing atmosphere/experience maybe I should just sign up one more time 😂

Well done, fantastic report, see you in Manchester!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

@Dublinlad1989 ah man, you nearly had me in tears there. Well done and what a smashing account you gave of it! Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I've been a bit quiet here since the race. I've been either drunk or a basket of emotion. Anyway, congrats to all you novices, keep the reports coming, they are great. The marathon is a beast that you have now tamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Dublinlad that's a fantastic report, and is what it's all about. Huge congrats. Love the bit about your little one and the precious video you got.

Soak it all up marathoner

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheRef

Background

Picked up running in late November 2021 only with the objective of keeping some base fitness over the winter when the soccer season would break for postponements and Christmas break (I referee at underage level). I don’t think the idea of doing another marathon ever came into my head (I ran one in 2008 and hadn’t run since). I managed to get to 10k distance over Christmas 2021, and around the second week of January, read on boards.ie that the 2022 DCM lottery was opening. Being a lottery, after very little thinking, I put my name down on the 13-Jan, never expecting to get an entry. Found out on the 17th I was successful and well, guess I am running the marathon. Now, to figure out how to get from 10k to a Marathon.

Training

I considered following the Hal Higdon plan as I used that in 2008, but after hearing boards were doing a plan, decided to give that a go. The DCM plan wasn’t going to kick in till summer so I worked on building fitness and endurance by basically running most days, not really knowing what I was doing, but asked some questions, learned from others and set myself a target of doing the marathon in 4 hours. Based my training paces on that goal using the various online calculators. Built up to about 20k and due to summer holiday plans, didn’t start the boards.ie plan until mid-July, but I had the distances and paces about the right level, if not ahead. 

I continued to referee weekends right up to 5 weeks before the marathon so had to do my long runs mid-week. Looking back, I don’t think the refereeing really impacted my training as that was useful cross training on a Saturday and Sundays would have an easy run built it. So, I followed the boards plan as defined, just shifting the days in and out as needed.

Pre-race

The excitement kicked in the week leading to the race. I rested as much as I could, eating well, doing some good carb loading, and many early nights. Didn’t sleep well on the Friday night. Went in to Expo on Saturday morning (tip: park on Clyde road - free parking on weekends and a 10 min walk to the RDS) with family enjoying the atmosphere. 

Saturday afternoon and evening was getting everything ready (again), checking and double checking and triple checking. 

I had a race strategy built out. Decided to use Garmin Pace Pro with a pretty even split but taking it easy on the hills. Fueling was to take a gel every 30 mins, so pretty much at every water station. I was to avoid taking on too much liquid to avoid needing to stop to use the toilets (this was an issue for me in training at times). 

On the morning of the race, woke up nice and early. Had porridge and a large cup of tea. Drank some water. Got a lift to Dundum Luas stop and there were plenty of other runners making their way in. After waiting nearly maybe 20 mins for Luas, it arrived and it was busy. Arriving into town, followed the crowds and was nice and early. Hung around a little and then got ready. 8 gels into Flipbelt along with a couple of painkillers (hurt my neck turning in my sleep Thursday but was better for Saturday) and some electrolyte tablets (split in half and in tin foil).

After bag drop, headed down to use toilets and queues were huge. Although I know Dublin, I was not familiar with my surroundings, so no idea where I should be going. There were areas for blue (my wave) and green side by side, but no management. Someone mentioned there being more toilets down near the canal so followed others down there and no wait. Perfect. I headed to the start line that were beside the toilets and had a wait of maybe 20 mins. I had two bottles - one of electrolytes to sip on while waiting and one for water to carry for first 5k. I was positioned in front of 4:10 pacers on the right hand side. Then it started! Gulp. Yeah here we go!

Race

NIce and easy start. Held back to not get caught in any adrenaline momentum. Kept eye on the watch. Noticed heart rate was higher than it should be, which I decided to keep an eye on and try lower. After a few hundred meters, I asked a person to put the water bottle I was carrying in a bin as I decided it was a burden.

Remembered the warning - be careful of first corner but it moved nicely. Volunteers blowing whistles to warn people of traffic islands and bike lanes. Nice. No issues. 

0-10k

Pace was only slightly slower than I planned, but that was down to the volume of runners. It was difficult to find space if I wanted it without having to run left and right through people.

After ditching the water bottle I was carrying just after the start, I planned on getting some water at the 5k mark to take with the first gel, but no, before I knew it I had passed it. It was only on one side of the road that I could see just before the cobblestones on the turn I was also conscious of. Not a biggie though and I took the gel slowly as I got near the park. 

Atmosphere and crowds were excellent. People bringing out portable speakers and encouraging us on. 

Around the zoo area it became very congested so I needed to focus on the crowds. It opened up on Chesterfield avenue which is the first time I really noticed the humidity. It was exceptionally mild and people had brought jackets and were wearing two tops, so they were being discarded. There were some walkers which needed navigating around. 

I noticed another water station sign so headed to the right side of the road (not realising they were going to be on both). Sipped on bottle and poured a little on back of legs. Nice.

Headed towards the Castleknock gate and although it got a little congested again, it wasn’t a problem. 

At the 10k mark, I was pretty much bang on pace. Felt good. Heart rate was still not going down, but not overly high. 

10k-20k

I was looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere at Mylos, and the run up to it was fantastic. Crowds were amazing. Loads and loads and loads of people. Music, cheering, roaring - everything. Fantastic. Turned the corner and headed back down to the park. Had a bottle of water that I sipped with a gel. Noticed a couple more walkers. Into the park and keeping nice pace. All uneventful as park tends to be quieter so good to focus back. My wife phoned to check up (I wore Shockz). Felt nice and relaxed. All good. Exited park got to Chapelizod and crowds again were amazing (just as good as Castleknock I reckon). Pace was good. Maybe a minute, if that, behind what I was planning, but wasn’t an issue - loads of time left and hard part was to come. If anything, Kilmainham dragged a little as I had Crumlin Road in my mind. Weather was calm, so thought we got lucky. Just happy to get back to an area of Dublin I am familiar with though. Before that though, Dolphins Barn was deadly. DJ there was playing rave some lad in his 60s was out raving. Hilarious.Brilliant support all the way to the bridge and beyond. Water was taken at every station, at least to sip, but now to put some on my head to cool down (it was lovely and cold). Gels were on track as well. Felt good.

20k-30k

Heading towards half way. Bon Jovi came into my head. Thought right, that’s it - just need to run home now. Head down and used someone in front for pacing. Did look up but the road is long, so head back down or looking at wonderful spectators. Got to top of road and was happy just that it was out of the way. Felt fine. On way down hill after Crumlin hospital, was glad I was running and not stuck in that traffic. Hah. Crossed road and headed up towards Walkinstown Roundabout. It was mental again there. Roars from the crowd was unbelievable. So many people. Running up Cromwellsfort road, noticed a lot of people walking. One walker moved to right in front of me as I was passing but was apologetic.

From about the end of the road, it started to get a lot tougher. My family was going to be at Milltown and was so looking forward to seeing them, but it dragged a lot because of the anticipation. Just wanted Terenure and Orwell out of the way. Mentally this was very tough. My wife phoned again to tell me where she was but I didn’t to or couldn’t really speak bar a few okays. It was tough. 

Pace at 30k was pretty much bang on, but I started to think that I wasn’t going to be able to increase the pace in the latter stages. 

30k-home

Got through Orwell, and finally, finally, finally, passed the Dropping Well and the arches were in view. Now to see my family. Then I saw and was so pleased. My father in law had made a large sign that was on a stick and my kids had signs as well. I was so happy. My wife handed me a bottle of Lucozade (mistake, I should have taken the water). That gave me such a boost so got up that hill at Milltown no bother. Happy days. Down toward Clonskeagh and was telling myself this is the last drag, then it's just Roebuck and downhill home. Lots and lots and lots of more walkers. Turned onto Clonskeagh and again head down. One foot then the other. I knew at this stage I was unlikely to make the four hours so thought - right, lets just keep running. No walking. Keep the miles ticking over and come home a few mins over the goal. Running a marathon after all is a ridiculous achievement no matter what.

Not only people walking, but loads stretching out. Some people getting massages in a tent I passed by. This was tough, but I knew I could get up it. Then crikey - my right hamstring gave me notice. I thought no, please, so had to adjust stride a little to stretch as I was running. It settled down thank god. Less than 10 mins later, then both at the same time. The uphill was hammering them. Hobbled a little but kept stride and focused on form. Thank god, both settled back down. Turn into Robuck and I’m now on autopilot. Like a drunk man trying to get home, not really knowing where I am, just trying to keep upright and moving. Got to heartbreak and thought - lets do this. Shortened the stride and used the arms. Got up it. Yay. So so happy again.

I just kept on telling myself the battle is in the mind and willing myself to be mentally strong. The body will do what the mind wants. Just do it.

However, this is where my problems started. I really really needed water as I felt overly dehydrated. All they had was the cups so took two, squeezed both to make spouts but it simply wasn’t enough. Spilled half the bloody things and had to gulp what I could. I was hoping to get a couple of bottles I could carry with me for 15 mins and sip on.

Turned onto Fosters for the downhill but knew I couldn’t make up any real time here as hamstrings were sore, and I was feeling really dehydrated.. Down past Vincents and hospital staff were out in force. Lovely gesture. Then turn down Stillorgan carriageway. A lad was struggling and I came up along side him and as much to encourage myself as him, I said, just a parkrun left. That’s it. He said he had a stitch so I wished him safe home and continued over the flyover. Come down towards Nutely lane, then no. I was getting a bad pain in my side. A really bad stitch myself. I don’t know if it was the lack of water, or the gulping from earlier, but I was struggling big time. Managed somehow to keep going till I got to Merrion Road and then trying trying trying. The pain was agonising. I was running while holding it with one arm over my head to try stretch. Nothing I could do. Where is the RDS? No sign of it so my head said try walk it off. Just wouldn’t get any better. Walked a little. Noticed a guy also walking beside me and I said to him - come on, if you run I’ll run. Lets do it. He did, thank god as I had to try again. We ran (not sure you’d call it that), step step step. I went a lot longer than I think I was able but the pain was unbearable. I told him to keep going and had to walk again. Passed the RDS and got my bearings a little. The family were going to be somewhere down towards the Schoolhouse pub so I tried again to put a shift in. Pain was unbearable, but had to keep going. No sign of them though. They have to be here somewhere. Then, I noticed the sign they had up high. They were about 5 deep behind the throngs but I saw them. Such a lift. I was ecstatic. I lifted both arms and cheered to them. The whole crowd seemed to react and I boy, it was emotional. I didn’t care about anything else at that moment and was so happy. I could see the finish line but no matter how many steps I took, it didn’t seem to get closer. Head down. Ignore the finish line and just step step step. Then looked up and it was close, so went for it and crossed the line. Wow. I done it. 4:11:06. Not the time I wanted, but honestly, I didn't mind.

Post-race

I could barely walk after collecting my medal. It took ages to get to the baggage collection area because my legs were so stiff. Had to walk back to Baggot Street to meet the family. It was so emotional but I was happy. No regrets. I was so happy with myself. My right side was still incredibly painful and would be so for the next 8 hours. Also, as I headed back towards the Luas I got very nauseous. Felt really poor.

Shortly afterwards, I reflected on the run. After my marathon on 2008, I was annoyed with myself, but this time I was annoyed with the water situation in the last 10k. I needed water and I am sure many others did, but only getting half cups that were difficult to sip from, and wouldn’t last, it was so frustrating. The last thing I wanted was Lucozade. I think the lack of water bottles really contributed to me getting the stitch in the last 4k. 

I honestly believe the race was most physically and mentally difficult thing I have ever done.

I will be signing up for 2023. Now just to figure out what I do between now and then...

Again, thanks to @Laineyfrecks @Murph_D and @Lambay island for your ongoing encouragement, feedback and wise words throughout the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Well done everyone. You should all be very proud of yourselves. Welcome to the club! 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Well done everyone, loving the race reports. It was a tough day, glad it wasn't just me feeling it!

Anyone get their email for next year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Los Cafeteros

DCM 2022- goal 3:40

Actual- DNF @ 33k

Unfortunately things didnt quite go to plan for me but what a memorable and dare I say enjoyable experience all the same!

Week prior:

I've avoided the thread for the last two weeks as I'd been trying to shake off a cough and took an enforced running break. Didn't want to bring the mood down with an 'illness post'. No big deal- I still felt able to go to work and overall quite well. Better to get it now rather than just before the big day. To my horror things deteriorated sharply the week of DCM... Sh*t really hit the fan when I went for an easy 5k tester on Thurs morning(5:40/km) and HR was about 30bpm higher than it had been during training for the same paces. I was pumping sweat and felt like stopping.

Oh dear- the sudden realisation hit me that I wouldnt be able to run DCM. How in the world could this be happening? I started on an antibiotic and steroid later that day. It was extremely tough responding to good luck texts from friends and family in the run up to Sunday. I spoke with my mum who'd planned to come up to Dublin to cheer me on and told her to cancel this plan. My gf was volunteering at the expo on Sat and encouraged me to come down to capture some of the atmosphere even if I'd decided not to run. Shed a small tear passing the start area in Merrion square picturing the scenes that would be unfolding in the next 24 hrs that I now wouldnt be part of. I must have been one of the last people into the expo(bar those rushing from delayed airport flights). The volunteer who gave me my race bib surely thought I was some miserable git! Despite myself I did enjoy looking at the older photos from DCM's past in the exhibit section. I'd seen a 101 yr old patient at work earlier in the week who had DCM finisher plaques from the 1980's who'd wished me well for the weekend. I'd gotten so much goodwill and support but couldn't shake the irrational feeling of letting people down.

A dangerous switch flicked in my brain leaving the expo- would it be foolish to start the race even though my chances of finishing were minimal? How would I feel if I had to quit and walk off the course at some point? Would I have the discipline stop when my body said enough without causing myself further damage and risking pronlonged sickness afterwards? Obviously putting your body through a marathon when far from 100% was asking for trouble but F*eck it- I decided to roll the dice....

Morning Pre-race:

Tossed and turned all night given my sudden u-turn- preperation the night before had been a blur. My gf pinned my number onto my new club singlet and got everything I needed ready- writing my name in large bold letters on the bib would turn out to be a masterstroke. Cycled into merrion sq arriving around 8am- planned to go off with wave 4(rather than wave 2). Put on all my layers at the startline and found a grand georgian doorway to settle into. Was bricking it at this point given the enormity of what I was facing into but reminded myself that I had to be realistic about my prospects. It terms of stategy my only real tenets were to pace extremely conservatively e.g. no faster than 6:30/km and to keep a close eye on HR(wearing chest strap) as this would help me decide if and when I had to call it a day.

Found the start area a little disorganised as a first timer and wasn't sure exactly where to go having dropped down waves. Funnelled around by the pepper cannister church and used the much quieter toilets around there. Dropped my old hoody with a binman gathering discarded clothes and it hit me then that I'd made it to the startline. Whatever happened in the next few hours I was glad of my decision.

0-10km

My race began with an exhilarating shuffle over the start mats as the race announcer gave my singlet a shout out. I heard shrieks from the gantry and high fived my gf who was up there with other volunteers. Surreal feeling to be actually doing this event that we've all been talking about for the last few months! I negotiated the sharp right hander back towards stephens green that we'd been warned about and we were off. Enjoyed the first few km but remembered my predicament and focussed on keeping things conservative- avoided the weaving or jumping on footpaths that I usually enjoy in tightly packed races. Crossing the Liffey and up through Stoneybatter it hit me how epic the crowd support was going to be today! Couldnt help but smile seeing a guy ahead stopping at Luckys barbers with his family and his kids going mental supporting him. Took on water at the contentious 5km station as I'd noticed I was sweating(despite my slower pace). Rounding the zoo had my first cough of the day and felt a little bit of chest discomfort. Time to stop? Said I'd reassess by the next km split- HR actually was ok and only slightly higher than my easy pace training HR.

10-20km

Decided I'd try reach the end of the park at least and maybe even to this famous "Myo's" that everyone had raved about. I was stunned into a spontaneous smile as the wall of noise hit me approaching it. Was oddly quiet when I got there so threw my hands up and got huge cheers- after supporting for a few hours the crowds seemed to feed off getting some thanks back from the runners as the day went on. Easily got 100+ cheers for my green and white club singlet during the race and my name must have been shouted 50 times from random strangers. Enjoyed the 2nd section in the park and was delighted to be doing a race that didnt go into the furry glen for a change. Passed an older man called John who had a t-shirt saying "running 40th DCM today" so gave him some words of praise and awe. Saw a less impressive character launch a water bottle into the trees but didnt have the energy to give out to him. Passed Kilmainham jail and spotted my gf who'd jumped on her bike to support me. Two friends were unexpectedly close by as well so got a big boost from high fiving them.

20-30km

This section through Crumlin until Bushy park was the biggest unknown for me in terms of the route. I was vaguely aware that people had flagged drags and wind as potential difficulties here. Was still feeling relatively good at this point- legs felt fresh and only the occassional cough. An issue that was becoming a problem though was nausea. Taking on water and gels every 6km like I'd done in training was much more difficult than usual. I knew if I couldnt fuel properly I would experience the dreaded wall later on so decided to stop around 25km for a min to make sure I fuelled properly. I felt a rising wave of nausea at this point and came close to vomiting. This was not something I'd ever encountered in my training. I got going again but made a mental note that if it continued my race was done. Saw a group of kids kick a full water bottle into a crowd of runners on the Kimmage road- only getting a half hearted telling off from parents. Extremely close call and would have been so easy for it to have ended someones day. The crowd support continued to be insanely good as runners were starting to flag. It seemed that every 200m or so people were giving out supplies of oranges, sweets or biscuits. Saw a guy with a RNLI singlet running barefoot with bleeding feet- ?blisters issue. Wished him well- everyone had their own personal struggle to contend with from here on in.

30-33km

Passing through Terenure/Rathgar I knew my race was nearly done. The waves of nausea had intensified so I decided to take a walk break to see if it would settle. Got going again and could only manage around 500m- I didn't particulary want to vomit on the course or indeed some unlucky spectators. Felt ok when walking so debated "walking it home" despite my mental maths telling me that would be another 100+ mins on feet. Didnt think this was that wise given I couldnt reliably take on water or energy. Continued for about 2km and then spotted my gf on the clonskeagh road at the turn for Beaver row. She'd put an airtag on my running belt so had noticed my pace had slowed and something was up. Had no hesitation at calling it quits at this point. Wasn't feeling great and knew I was right on the edge of getting into difficulties. Got wrapped up in a few layers and stuck on the marathon hat for warmth- I felt like I'd earned it at least. Managed to take on about 500ml of water and cheer on some of the surviving runners. Couldn't believe it when I saw the RNLI guy come running past barefoot and still bleeding- heard him saying to another runner that it wouldnt be too bad if there was a continuous white line as it was easier to run on! Also saw a guy at this point without arms and legs using a skateboard- so gave him a massive cheer- later found out his name is Chris Koch https://twitter.com/ifican79 . Seriously insiprational! Thankfully managed to get into a taxi promptly as I was starting to shiver quite badly. Had to go the long way home and the driver kindly gave a €10 discount on fare after we were chatting about the events of the day.

Two days later and thanfully no major long term effects. Legs feel quite fresh and chest is improving. Realise that running when sick was foolish in the extreme but have no regrets for how the day turned out. Huge thanks to @Laineyfrecks , @Murph_D @Lambay island for the invaluable mentorship and motivation. As well as to all the other participants on this thread.

Now to decide what to do with this email sitting in my inbox...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

DCM 2022

goal - 4:27

Actual - 4:53

Training had gone ok but I did miss a 2 long runs and one or 2 others along the way but in total I did over 770K of running to get me to the start line.

Slept well Saturday night and I was before my alarm went off at 5. Drove from Kildare up to some friends of ours who live near Lansdowne Road so it was only a short walk to get to drop off. Kids noticed they forgot there sign for me at home so they had to go do another.

Bag drop was done and dusted in no time and made my way down to the Blue wave as I had seen there was plenty of portal loo's down there on my walk up. After waiting around for probably 40 min it was time to go

Start

1-10k - 1:08:01

For the first K i had some technical difficulties, even though I had tested my garmin send a email the day before to track my run to herself it didn't send. Turns out I needed to sync the garmin app after I had the blue tooth on my watch turned off over night cos I didn't want to waste the batter (note I finished with a bettery of 44% so didn't need to worry about that. The next 4k went fine heart rate was up higher than I would have liked but I was putting that on the excitement. It also turned out I missed my parents going over the bridge as they were on the other side.

10 - half - Split 1:11; Total 2:19:34

Started getting a slight stitch roughly half way through the park. Lasted through Castleknock and back through the park but then seemed to easy off again. While I loved running through Castleknock I got a bigger kick out of running through Inichicore as it was here I did my first half marathon back in 2018 and I remember the struggles I had on this section while Sunday I was still feeling good along here.

Half - 30 k - 1:02; 3:21:34

This is where the wheels started to wobble. The drag up from the Combe was something I hadn't paid enough attention to when looking at the plan. Even though I kept a even enough pace ~6:35 my heart rate was still higher than I would normally see at that pace over 160. Stayed going steady and saw a few faces from work but could feel the tiredness catching me. Coming out of Terenure village I had to walk. Km 29 only 13 more to go.

30k - Finish - 1:32 - 4:53:01

The walk/run has commenced - Miltown I was feeling sorry for myself but at no point did I think of throwing in the towel. Ran through Clonskeagh/Roebuck was a pain but I had done it a few times so I knew i was going to be a pain. Also the guy in the fat/lazt ahead of me tshirt every time he ran I ran. No idea if I eventually finished ahead of him or not but I got to the top of the hill ahead of him. At UCD the 4:30 pacers pass me by tried to stay with them but my legs were done. A little after going over the fly over one chap looked to be in a serious way he had plenty of help around him hope he was ok. I plodded my way the rest of the way in until roughly. Saw my kids and parents at haddington road and manage to stay running until I past the finish line.

After passing the finish line I got a wave of relief over me that it was done and pride that I had manage to do a marathon. Got a text from my wife saying she was proud of me this caused me to smile/cry not sure the term for it. Legs felt crap yesterday but did a small walk with the kid and it helped immensely.

Not sure if I'll do another marathon, I have some unfinished business with the distance but the time for training takes its toll.

Big thanks to the trainers and everyone else on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Great to see all the reports coming in even if all didn't go to plan in terms of targets. My "A" target was sub 3:40 but I came in at 3:57.

0-10km

Started out about a minute behind the 3:40 pacers and intended reeling them in over the first half and then trying to stick with them through to the end. I was on track through the first 10km and closed the gap to about 30seconds. Like many others my heart rate was higher than I expected, I thought it was the result of the cough I had a few weeks back (as HR had been higher than normal since) but it seems like alot of people had similar experiences due to the mildness/humidity. Felt ok but obviously was very early doors.

10-20km

Reeled in the pacers by about 18km roughly as planned and was still feeling good. Legs were ok, heart rate high a little higher than I would have hopefd for which in hindsight was perhaps a warning sign. The support as mentioned by many others was fantastic in places.

20-30km

Where did it all go wrong 😂. I can see now the drag that people were talking about in this section. I knew that I would have alot of familiar faces from Walkinstown up through Terenure so felt that this would be a section that would be really enjoyable. 20-25km still felt good, no major issues and was enjoying the crowds. Just coming up to the KCR my hammer gave me a little warning shot, which I think psychologically got the best of me (my hamstrings wouldn't be great at the best of times). I managed to get to Bushy where my brother was waiting with an electrolyte drink and a gel but just after than point I got another little sign from the leg and pulled up to walk for a minute. Once this happened I think my mindset changed and one I walked once that threshold was crossed and it became "easier" to stop and walk - quite annoyed with myself for that to be honest but a lesson learned.

30km- finish

Went through different cycles of run/walk (e.g. walk 100m run 500m etc..) with the leg still throwing me a few signs of cramp but didn't ever actually cramp up. One of the things I will remember most is coming up to the Milltown hill, there were many people like me walking at the time. A gent (maybe in his 40's was coming past and gave me a good ould shout to get onto his shoulder and start moving again, he slowed down for about 5 seconds to get me going and we managed to pick up about 6 or 7 similar people and we went along together as a group up that hill. It was only a small gesture but kind of summed up what a lovely atmosphere there was. I have never ran races before this year always playing team sports where it is a bit more combative, but the supportive nature of the runners at the marathon was a joy. My kids were at the top of heartbreak hill so gave me a bit of momentum to get up there and was great to see them and give a high five as I was "running" past. I looked at the watch and knew I could still get in under 4 hours (my C goal) and did so coming in at 3:57.

Always had in my head that I would be one and done, but here I am and have already signed up to 2023. Definitely some lessons learned both in terms of training and also on the day, but in all honestly I wouldn't change a thing about the day Sunday (and that includes the struggle for about 13-14km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Hi all, have enjoyed reading all the race reports so far. Here is min. This was obviously my first marathon and I really enjoyed it. I started in wave 4 and before the race I had planned to start with the 4.30pacers. However my inexperienced showed very quickly as I had spent the morning chatting to my friend and didn't realise I needed to move up to the front much earlier. But anyway we were off. Not a pacer to be seen. Said good bye to my friend, turned on my podcast and off I went. Decided to just run my own race and see how I got on. Remembered what I had been told to not go to hard too early. However I did go slightly ahead of what I should of as my first half was 2.12 and the second was 2.16 but all in all I stuck to my plan.

Really enjoyed the first 30k. I caught and passed out the 5 hour pacers as well as the 4.50 and the 4.40 ones but never caught the 4.30 pacers. Loved the atmosphere, the music, the live bands and the friendly crowd. Some of my friends were out along the route too which made me smile. However, for some reason the gels didn't agree with me on Sunday and they made me feel nauseous. I had been fine taking them on my runs before but Sunday they just didn't agree with me. Legs however were getting tired at this point and when I hit the hill after Milltown I ran half way up and then said feck it and walked the rest of the way. Took off again then and was all good until I got to Roebuckhill. I was lucky at the last water station as I was still carrying my small bottle from the previous station and got them to fill that for me so I didnt have to use the paper cups. Seeing the ambulances pass me and people lying on the ground I found myself saying I was lucky I wasn't one of those people. Found the run from the RDS to the end very tough and especially when my watch said 42.2km and I couldn't see the finish I wondered if I could make it but when I turned the last corner I knew I could.

Was delighted with my time as I had hoped to finish under 4.30 and managed 4.28.37. Felt very proud of myself and I plan to sign up tomorrow for next year. I wouldn't change much about my run apart from maybe I'd push myself a little more to keep going. Other than that I enjoyed the whole experience, even the training. Thanks for all the tips here and the encouragement over the last 4 months. Maybe I'll see some of you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Race Report: DCM 2022

Ambitions:

I had to check back on my sign-up post to see what a younger, greener me said their ambitions were for the marathon. At that stage back in June I had been running for about 2 months on and off, following a Garmin half marathon plan, and the longest race I had ever completed was a 5k, 10 years before. My goal set on that initial post was an ambitious but, IMHO, realistic time of sub-3:30.

Training

On joining the boards group, I had booked in two half marathons to help me build towards my marathon goal, one in Kerry (Brandon Bay) and then the Dublin HM which were to give me my base & big race experience. One week before the Brandon Bay run however, and after two years of avoiding it, covid finally caught up with me and knocked me for six. 2 weeks of testing positive and 2 more weeks of being drained of all energy (short walks necessitating recovery naps) derailed the training. A total of 5 weeks off running gave my confidence a knock, but I got back to a good training block for 4 weeks before my second illness hit – this time the week of the Dublin Half Marathon. This second bout of flu like symptoms lasted 4 weeks where I only managed a total of 16 miles running. Taking onboard some of the advice from the coaches however, I waited until I was fully right and then added two days for good measure before going back training – 3 weeks to go.

I managed to get one 20 mile LSR in on 15th October and actually ran this on the DCM course which gave me great confidence that, even if my fitness wasn’t where I wanted it to be, I at least knew what to expect on the course.

Race Day:

After prepping my gear 2 days out, all that was left to do was to get a decent brekkie of porridge, a banana & an electrolyte drink and head to the DART. I met my mate and one of his training buddies on the Dart and we headed into town. They were in Wave 1, (successfully) chasing sub-2.50 times so I wished them luck and headed to the join the long line of runners getting ready by the railings on Merrion Square.

I found there to be less of a “buzz” and more an air of nervous excitement around as most people I saw were getting their game faces on. Music would have been nice but I was happy enough to just focus on getting my gear in order; HR monitor, gels etc. and getting the obligatory pre-race pee in. (Aside: I feel DCM organisers could take some lessons from music festival organisers in their toilet options. Most male participants would survive without needing a full port-a-loo and it would certainly help reduce some of the queue times if there were more options).

Waiting in Wave 2, I got chatting to randomers, general small talk about experience / targets etc. and about how the back of those Nike VaporFly runners could take somebody’s eye out. Before I knew it, we were off.

Tactics:

Again, with some sound advice from the coaches on here, I had revised my target down and resolved to start just behind the 3:40 pacers but to target a 5:10 (min per km) pace from the outset. The aim was to stick at that pace until Castleknock, allow it naturally take me away from the pacers at which point I would see how I was feeling and reassess.

Mile 1-7:

The first few miles were similar to what I remember the 5km Docklands run I did years ago - a bit chaotic with a wide range of paces being run and the odd group running together 3 or 4-abreast which required some navigating. Once across the Liffey however, and starting up the hill into Stoneybatter, this thinned out and I found it ok for space from then on.

Into the Phoenix park, to where the first of my support was due to be, I was encouraged along by two sets of friends and my wife who was making her first appearance of the day. On the way up the avenue I got chatting to some Raheny Shamrocks members, complimenting them on their support – every second person it seemed was cheering them on!

Getting into Castleknock the support was amazing, the band were playing something motivating - can’t for the life of me remember what – but I do remember thinking I was glad it wasn’t “Don’t Stop Believing” as they had that kinda wedding band vibe about them. Just over the crest of the hill after the Castleknock turn I checked my progress: 7 miles in and I was about a minute ahead of target time, averaging slightly quicker pace than planned and it showed in my HR. As with others, my HR was far higher than I expected it to be (by 7-8 BPM).

Mile 8-13

Knowing that I had time in the bank and needed to get my HR down, I took it handy on the downhill sections, consciously slowing when the incline wanted me to quicken. This brought my HR down slightly but at this point I realised I would be running the rest of the race on the upper limits of what my training HR ever got to (post Covid HR was 10 BPM higher than pre-Covid across all exercise). Having never experienced lactic acid build-up, I was not sure if my elevated HR was putting me in danger of that but I decided to stick to the plan and try manage it as best I could.

The remainder of this section was great craic, crowds were awesome from Chapelizod – Inchicore South Circular. Highlights for me were the 3 girls in their dressing gowns having a full-on rave at their front door and the guy charging runners €1 a pop for some Jellys.

Mile 14

This is where I started to struggle. HR was manageable, cardio was ok, but the painkillers I took at the start of the race began to wear and my right leg began to hurt from the glute down to the knee. This was expected as, coming back from sickness 2 I had gone too long too soon and aggravated my IT band. Physio had assured me I would be ok and prescribed me rest (which worked) but at mile 14 it hit me. My dad had cycled out to see me at this point and was a welcome sight but I was struggling.

Saviour:

Up to now I had been running alone, passing some out, being passed by others. But I had noticed a couple of runners who had been running similar paces to me and some were still around. One in particular stood out as she was wearing an “Athletic Club” top (gotta be a good sign right?) and had looked like she was cruising along. Mind made up, I decided to latch on and try keep pace with my new marathon friend.

This worked!!!! Soon I was distracted from the pain and was focused on keeping pace with “Kells AC”.

Mile 15-19:

These were tough miles, the ITB pain was growing and there were times I started to think about my options for an “easy out” but just before these thoughts caught hold I would be distracted by a cheer from the crowd or seeing Kells AC pull away and having to focus on the task at hand.

It was over these hard miles that myself and Kells AC got into a bit of a rhythm. What I can best describe as a “slinky” routine, where she would lead away for 1 mile or so and drag me along and then I would find myself in front for a period only to be overtaken again. While one could have easily confused this scenario with being competitive in nature, I think we both thought of this as taking turns to do the hard graft at the front (although this wasn’t acknowledged verbally) and then benefiting from being dragged along when behind.

Mile 20-21:

This was where I started to overcome the pain and mentally get into a lot better space. My wife was waiting in Miltown, just before the hill with some electolytes and a gel and seeing her gave me a real boost. My parents were also just ahead at Clonskeagh – just before the start of the hill. Shoutout to Kells AC for Milltown Pharmacy Climb effort – absolutely powered up the hill (dragging me along). All-in, a solid 2 miles section – average pace 5:11 per km.

Mile 22-23:

Head down, slow and steady. Started seeing a lot of people walk or slow down on the Clonskeagh / Roebuck hill. Also saw my first (of many) casualties of the day at the back of UCD – thankfully they had Garda support and a number of spectators helping them.

I found the Lucozade section a disaster really – I didn’t really need it as I had a fresh bottle of electrolyte from my wife back in Milltown, but still got a cup and ended up basically dumping it down my top.

Heartbreak hill was really a tour de France experience, great support but probably a bit too tight for comfort at the top. Some surprise but welcome support from fiends along this section helped me up without much trouble.

Mile 24:

Having taken my turn in leading up Clonskeagh, Kells AC took up the baton at from Fosters Avenue and this is where I began to struggle again. Having heard in the pre-race build up that the marathon “starts from mile 22 on”, I was quite anxious about upping the pace and potentially hitting the wall so close to home. Kells AC took that decision away from me, storming ahead down Fosters Ave, through Stillorgan Rd and down Nutley Lane. It took all my energy to keep pace at this point and so when I got to the bottom of Nutley Lane I was drained.

Mile 25:

Somewhere near Vincent’s hospital I, unknowingly, passed Kells AC and from here on home I knew I was on my own. A quick look at the watch and some limited brainpower arithmetic told me I was ahead, but fear of being passed by the pacers between now and the finish was all the incentive I needed to keep going.

Mile 26-Finish:

Just before the crowds grew too large I spotted my parents again and from then on I put the head down. I knew the pacers were close but, at this late stage, I wasn’t letting them pass. Purple mile was amazing – just a wall of noise to guide runners home. Wanting to finish strong but also not wanting to collapse, I waited until the bridge to really quicken up – and was delighted to be able to empty the tank over the last 200m, Kells AC coming in 5 just behind me.

Target: sub-3:40

Chip Time: 3:38:38

Target Pace: 5:10

Average Pace: 5:09

Outcome:

Absolutely delighted with the result and having experienced such an amazing event. The Dublin crowds were awesome as were all the fellow participants. Success on the day for me came down to two things, the support from friends and in particular my wife who raced across the city to give me my much-needed care package at mile 20, and the random stranger from Kells AC who really demonstrated to me how to manage a marathon strategy by her lead.

Massive thanks to the boards coaches @Laineyfrecks @Murph_D and @Lambay island – the advice throughout was invaluable and without which I wouldn’t have made it to the start line. Was in no fit state to make the pub afterwards unfortunately, but as I write this I am officially signed up to 2023 so will hope to thank you each in person next year. 😊

Given the setbacks you had in the buildup that is seriously seriously impressive. Very well ran. Massive congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Now that the dust has settled a little who is signing up for next year?

I wish there was more time to decide, even if we don't take the early signup today lottery applications need be made in the next few weeks.

I'm very much on the fence, one one hand after cramping up after stopping to use the toilet I feel I've unfinished business but on the other I'll be 46 and have had issues this year with my hips and knees so don't expect the body will be any better in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I signed up this morning. Enjoyed the experience and will do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

if you are even asking yourself the question then you already know the answer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

I signed up cos I am an idiot who likes pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Race Week:

The last weeks of training I'd been really feeling it in terms of aches and pains and it had knocked my confidence a bit - sometimes in terms of even making it to the start line. But credit to the plan, I'd started to feel a lot fresher in the legs by week 18 so that gave me a much needed boost. I'd been fundraising too for the Irish Heart Foundation but mainly just family and close friends but made a bit of a push the last couple of weeks with work colleagues, etc.. So I guess as it was for everyone the marathon was really coming into sharp focus. So 'the fear' again started to kick in - see @Flexicon 's post from last friday for reference - basically I was bricking it. I decided to head into the Expo on Friday. One of my brothers was also doing the marathon and I'd texted him the night before to see if he was all set, etc. So he rang me just after I parked on Merrion Sq and said he'd just picked up his number in the RDS and he hung around for me. We had been saying for months that we must meet up for a couple of runs during the training but it never happened. We ended up heading for coffee after the expo and having a great chat, mainly about the marathon of course and it really settled a lot of the pre-race nerves. We also got to walk the last mile or so of the marathon route. Got the last 2 mile run in on saturday and again felt really good and spent the rest of the day making sure everything was set for sunday - also drinking a lot of water. Had a nice bowl of pesto pasta with toasted pine nuts and a side of broccoli for dinner and in bed by around 9:30 and slept fairly well. 

Race day:

Up at 6:00 Sunday morning but the clocks going back took the sting out of that. I think(hope!) that was true for my wife and 3 kids too. Major butterflies first thing. It was like I had a big exam that morning, which of course I had! I still managed to eat my bowl of porridge and most of 2 slices of toast and a cup of coffee. I'd booked the Parnell St car park the day before - it had a great deal of €9 for marathon day. Wasn't sure what to expect traffic-wise and at the car park but we sailed in. It was a bit cooler than I expected but I had an old sweatshirt and cap to ditch later. Kids and OH were all wrapped up too. Our youngest is 5 but we borrowed a buggie for her for the day - she was delighted! So off we went across the city to Merrion Square. Crossing the Liffey got some lovely photos with the Hapenny Bridge in the background. The guys looked great where as I looked like I'd fallen on hard times in my mouldy old cap and 20+ year old Catarpillar sweatshirt. Once we crossed Dame St we began to see a lot more runners and by the time we got to Merrion Sq there was already a real buzz in the air. I used the facilities in the Davenport hotel and spent a few more minutes with the guys. I asked my OH would she mind running the marathon for me but she declined. I hugged them all and thanked them all - extra long hug for my son because I know how much he loves a good PDA! I made my way onto Merrion Sq and get a call from my brother and we meet up around the wave 3 holding area near the canal. He was in great form and like Friday it was a real settler to hang out before the main event. Just before 9:00 we started to make our way around to start area. I had decided I'd start just behind the 4:10 pacers. My brother's target for the day was 4:30 - this was his third marathon but first DCM. He joined the queue for the toilet just before the turn for the start area and we said our good lucks. Just on the corner I saw a barrier where people had left their throwaway clothes. So I did the same. Leaving the cap there felt a bit like littering tbh but the sweatshirt, despite it's age was in great nick and both had done their job that morning.

The Marathon:

So I found a spot just behind the 4:10 pacers, in the middle of the road and took the now customary photo over the mass of heads in front and the starting gate. It was a lovely morning. I felt fairly relaxed. I had expected the start to be much more cramped than it was but it was fine - similar to how it was at the HM or FD10. I moved to the right slightly but no issues with the right turn or traffic island. Kept right up Leeson St and on to the Green. Plan was for wife and kids to be at the end of the Green near the Luas line and sure enough they were. It was a lovely moment - high 5s and the kids had their clappers. So off I went down towards Kevin St - I think it was on Kevin St that I passed the 4:10 pacers. Turning right up towards Christchurch I could see the 4:00 pacers about 200m ahead but I was happy hang on in between the 4:10 - 4:00 balloons. I'd borrowed my younger brother's apple watch earlier in the week and it was great to be able to keep an eye on pace. (I will definitely be buying some sort of running watch in the near future!) In training I'd struggled with PMP runs - getting the pace wrong, usually too fast. On the day, in the early stages especially I felt I had a handle on it. One concern I had early on was how much I was sweating. By the time I'd reached Stoneybatter I was drenched. I was looking around and others didn't seem to be as bad. I'd taken a 500ml bottle with me and had about a quarter gone already. Grabbed another 250ml at the first water station. Other than that I felt good overall and soaked in the great support along the way. It was only on Chesterfield Ave that I felt the breeze for the first time - and it was lovely - just off the left. I could see the 4:00 pacers up ahead again now too. 

It was shortly before Castleknock village I got the first shout of my name. I said thanks! and for a split second I was thinking 'where do i know that woman from..?' It's a small thing but it really does give you a lift. I know Castleknock was mentioned a few times but honestly I've never experienced anything like it. It was electric! I actually got a bit glassy eyed going through. I pretty much floated up the little hill after the turn. Had a bit of a check-in on pace, etc heading towards the park. My rough plan was to do the first half in just over 2 hours and take it from there. I caught sight of the 4:00 pacers again before leaving the park. I had some Lucasade before crossing the river and again more amazing support in Chapalizod. St Lawrence hill was a bit of a beast. I'd watched the route video on youtube but it seemed much steeper on the day. There was some great encouragement here from other runners and the supporters. Around Rialto a text came through on the watch from my Mam - "keep going. your doing great" - and I'm glassy eyed again. My brother must have told her I'd see the text on the watch. It was another lovely moment and one that keeps you motoring along. She sent another couple before the end too. 

Around the start of the Crumlin Road the weather changed. It got darker and noticeably cooler. This was probably the toughest part of the marathon for me. I did see the 4:00 pacers again on one of the longs clear stretches before the 20km mark but this was to be the last I saw of them. On my phone later I saw that kms 19-20 were noticeable my slowest so far in the run. I passed the half way at 2:00:53(from TDL) which about what I'd planned for - maybe even a bit better than planned time-wise - but last mile or so I 'd started to feel it. I maybe could have pushed but I wasn't feeling it and really didn't want to further risk a total blow-up. If I was feeling deflated I soon got another massive lift - this time at Walkinstown. Support-wise this was a massive highlight. The road narrows at the turn and it's like the crowd are nearly pushing you along with the roars. 

I haven't mentioned the gels but I'd been taking those steadily along with plenty of water and had another on the next flat stretch and took stock. I didn't really have a plan B for a time other than to finish. I'd started to feel more comfortable again after Crumlin and soaked up the great support around Templeogue/Terenure. I settled into a steady pace only a little slower than the first half pace. The sun was back out too which I think helped a lot. Another great spot for atmosphere was along by the Dropping Well pub at Milltown. There was a real party atmosphere. I remember Groove Armada blasting out from somewhere - it was like the middle of summer. Great support again too and just before some tough climbs. I slowed a bit but didn't find them too harsh - the first after the bridge looked worse than it was. But I was surprised that after veering right it seemed to continue to climb and this was before 'Heartbreak Hill'. 

I could see a lot of people walking - from as far back as Walkinstown and did feel lucky to be still going. Heartbreak Hill was tough but at least it was short and again the support on it was great and definitely helped. Even Ray Darcy was there supporting - fair play to him. There was major relief on the down hill to Stillorgan dual carriageway. I upped the pace a bit and it was probably the first time on the day that I felt fairly confident of finishing. My brother had told me to look out for a retired former colleague of his at the flyover. He's a runner too and I'd met him a couple of times at runs in the PP. I spotted him just before the turn, gave him a shout and a wave. He told my brother later I was flying!(I wish!!)

After turning off Nutley Lane onto the home stretch I thought I was nearly there. I thought I'd passed the RDS about a km before I actually did. Was feeling it now and losing focus and probably running on fumes. I started to notice people passing me. I kept telling myself hang in there and was imagining finishing off an easy run at home - just 2km to go. I kept to the left thinking that's where my wife and kids might be. (We didn't have any kind plan for the end bit at all and as it happened they didn't make it to the finishing stretch.) Again fantastic support along that last mile+. As I approached the canal I was somehow able to up the pace knowing the finish was nearly in site. The roars coming onto Mount St! My brother and sister-in-law called out to me at the passport office - another massive lift!

Now the finish line actually was in sight. It was an unbelievable feeling. It was then, about 60m from the finish that I had a massive brain fart. I thought to take out my phone to stop the tracking app - WTF! I had NRC on the watch anyway. Never have I ever done this for any race ever and here I am at the end of my first marathon!(im still cringing) And the worst thing was that face id didn't work so I'm typing in a six digit pin!! Anyway I got it done on the move and still managed to absolutely savour the last few metres, arms(with phone(cringe)) aloft. The first marshal I saw through the gantry was my son's football coach. He was marshalling at the Tallaght 5 Mile too back in June and had messaged that he'd see me at the finish a couple of weeks ago. He took a great photo - elation and relief written all over me - and sent it on a minute or 2 later along with a screenshot from the tracker of my time. 4:07:45 

I collected my medal and phoned my wife. I thought I'd missed them in the crowd but it turned out they'd mis-timed going to the finishing stretch and hung on on Baggot St. They managed to blag themselves beyond the cordon there and were waiting just in front of the Dail. Hugs and plenty of emotion all round. We waited for my brother to finish. He missed his 4:30 target but not by much. Met up with my other brother and sister-in-law shortly afterwards and had a lovely pint at a pub on Chatham St. 

Amazing day!

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for all the support - especially @laineyfrecks, @murph_d and @lambay island  

Completed my 2nd DCM on Sunday. The first 28km were enjoyable but after that I hit a wall. The body was tired. The back and legs were aching but I was determined to finish it. I walked/ran the last 14km. Only for the amazing crowd I think I would have stopped. Got in 34 minutes quicker than my previous DCM. That's me finish with marathons now. Had been suffering from too many injuries while training for this marathon. Going to stick with shorter distances from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Just saw this thread now and started typing. It’s probably not relevant but here is my story. Apologies about the long background story but for me this story has been 5 years in the making

I was 37 years old and made the decision in January 2017 to change my lifestyle. Over 18 stone and zero fitness. Purchased a cross trainer and went on an immediate strict diet. Just cut out all the rubbish and ate 3 regular meals per day. I didn’t calorie count or use one the modern specialty diets you hear about. Just a sensible diet. I still allowed myself alcohol on a Friday and Saturday as a treat. Throughout 2017 I stuck to everything perfectly and finished the year at 12 stone. So full 6 stone lost and built up fitness by using the cross trainer most days. At this stage id never entered a gym in my life and hadn’t ran since I played football as a teenager.

In January 2018 after encouragement from my wife I started the couch to 5k and did my first 5k run in a local night run in March of that year. The rest is history. Was running regular 10k by end of 2018 and did my first half marathon in early 2019. I was entering every race I could find and finally entered DCM in late 2019 for the 2020 race. COVID hit so my first actual marathon was Sundays Race.

I trained hard throughout COVID running at least one half marathon a month and I aimed for 200km in total per month, also my pace improved. I entered a heap of half marathon races after lockdown last year and for first part of this year. I got a new PB in every single one of them until my last race in May where I achieved a 1hr 35min time. Which I was very proud of and all was going well. Then out of nowhere I got really bad shin splints and physio advised I stop for 6 weeks. It was hell, made worse that I got really bad COVID during my recovery period. All of June and 1st half of July were a write off.

Coming back I had a more scaled back programme and was unable to run on consecutive days. But my fitness was gone, COVID did a number on me and I really didn’t think I would be ready in time. But head down and slowly but surely things improved. By mid-August I started to feel myself again and went hell for leather in September. Then first week of October aimed for my longest ever run which I achieved and ran 33.5km. I knew then I could do it. I did a half marathon 2 weeks out from DCM and then tapered off running about 25km per week for last 2 weeks.

The days leading up to the big day nerves really kicked in. But on the morning I felt good. First 10km quite slow due to sheer numbers. Wasn’t until well into the Phoenix Park I managed to get a bit of space and really got into my stride. Up until the halfway I felt really comfortable. Next 10km again not too bad but obviously began to slow a little but still confident. Making it to the 33Km point was my inital goal as that had been my longest ever run previously. Then after that it was survival mode. Those last 8km was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. But I never stopped once and was delighted to finish sub 4hour. 3hrs 55mins to be exact

The feeling after the race and the days since have been indescribable and after saying initially no way would I enter next years… I gave in and signed up again last night. I need to feel that again, it’s like a drug

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Fair play R.F, thats a great story! Great time for your first marathon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Great to read everyone's race reports and a massive congratulations to everyone who took part.

Also a big thank you to the mentors for all the pointers and encouragement during the build up.

Sunday

Alarm went off at 06:35 with a plan to leave the house at 07:00. Living in North County Dublin made this bit very easy.

Ate breakfast in the back of the car chatting to my little one about the day ahead. Wife pulled in at The Point and we said our see you laters. Started to walk up towards the bag drop area and slowly but surely the number of people in shorts with DCM bags on their backs started to increase. That's when the realisation of what I was taking part in took hold and all the mid week nerves turned to excitment.

Got to the bag drop area around 08:05 and instantly realised I had arrived too early, especially for my Wave 4 start time of 09:45 but that's what the email said so that's what I did.

Followed what seems to be the normal pre race routine of use the loo, have a drink, look at watch, wonder is that another wee I need or just nerves. Rinse and repeat.

Headed around to the Wave 4 start area in plenty of time and enjoyed the buzz as the crowds built. Got talking to a few randomers and exchanged training war stories.

Then all of a sudden the volunteers are calling us in to line for the long walk down to the start line. I am rattling with nervous excitement at this point.

Down at the start line there are a few shout outs from the commentator then it's 3, 2, 1 and we're off.

My aim was anything inside 4 hours and in retrospect I probably needed to give myself a narrower window.

From the off my legs are as fresh and strong as they've been since the start of the training block.

But there's a downside, I've allowed myself get caught up in the occasion and emotion and I am flying it.

5:11 for the first km

Slow down you thick.......that's it, nice and steady

5:13 for the next km

I think we can all see how this story ends.

Anyway I start to slow myself to a more realistic pace.

Half way through the Pheonix Park I see my first familiar faces.

My sister, her husband and my 2 nieces are there. Shouts of encouragement and high 5s and I'm off. Or at least my body is. My head wasn't ready for the emotion of having family out cheering you on and I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to explain the boost that 5 second interaction has given me.

Now I'm waiting for Castleknock to see if it lives up to the hype. It doesn't.

It completely surpasses it. A wall of noise, a band, a DJ.

This is how 10 year old me imagined my sporting career going.

Then I hear my name being called, a guy from work out watching with his family. Big thumbs up and we're off again.

I'm rambling now so I'll get to the interesting parts.

My aim was to get to halfway as fresh as possible and I feel great going through the 21k marker in 1:55

We are on for good time here.

Around 23k in I get a slight cramp in left hamstring. No bother, I'll get through it.

Right on the 25k marker it feels like someone shoots me in the left leg and it completely locks up. I can barely bend my knee but I'm still moving.

I drag myself to 20 mile point but I am struggling now. I keep telling myself to keep running but in the blink of an eye without making a conscious decision I'm walking.

Will I just pack it in? Sure I have the excuse. No shame in it.

Shut up brain

Think of the work we've put in. The sacrifices to get all the training runs done.

The girls. My wife and daughter. I haven't seen them yet. Don't want to let them down. Quicker I move, quicker I'll get to them.

I'm off again. Its a limp/run/epic face grimace combo but the distance left is going down. Slowly, very slowly.

It's shouts from strangers, jelly babies, thoughts of family and encouragement that gets me through.

500m from the finish line I spot them and it's like a shot of adrenaline to the heart. A kiss for my daughter, a hug and kiss for the wife. I think we all feel like crying.

"I'll call you when I grab my bag."

2 minutes later I cross the line in a time of 04:23

I'm delighted and gutted at the same time but I've done it.

.........and I'll be back to right the wrongs in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Running your first marathon and not hitting the time you feel you can is a big lesson. Back in 2011 I ran my first DCM and ended up doing 4:27. I felt like I could have run sub 4 in training so was very disappointed. I felt very bad about it. Thing was I ended up posting on boards looking for help on how someone in their 20s at the time who felt they trained hard would come up so short. Well I got a response and under the help and guidance of someone who was a much better runner and had gone through a similar journey I did DCM the following year in 3:18. This was a huge thing for me. It showed me that with smart work instead of hard work big improvements are possible. So if you are interested in making big improvements for next year race feel free to PM or start a thread. The thing I really learned from this back then is that when you get advise from people you first need to verify the source of that advise and then if the general consensus is that you should do X to improve by a few people that are much better than you then maybe following what you think is right is not the best path. The path to improvement is looking at your weaknesses and improving those rather than focusing on your strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

id be very interested to hear what you did differently to knock such a huge chunk of time off your PB?

this is probably a good place to share tips and experience rather than PM, ,just so that more people can view it..

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

• Advertisement

The key things needed for big improvements imo are basically consistency and volume.

Consistency requires a work ethic, a hunger to get every single run done. You need to look out the door at howling wind and rain and be like Lieutenant Dan on the mast.

Volume is easy to build and achieve if you're willing to run six days a week, doable on five days a week.

Understanding the makeup of that Volume is also key. Understanding the value of aerobic running, and how much of that volume should be given over to it.

It's hard work but really really rewarding hard work. Enjoyable hard work too I would say.

The biggest driver of your improvement will be sticking around here and benefitting like I did from the hive mind that is the boards athletics forum.

Advertisement