Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Good luck to everyone! Was a novice in 2018 .Reading over this thread has given me flashbacks (in a positive way). The support here is fantastic! Looking forward to seeing report's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Best of luck to all of you running on Sunday. You're making me all jealous that I'm not running it now. Soak it up and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh the memories!!!! That brought a tear to my eye. I'd forgotten the Castleknock supporters, they were absolutely amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Places like Myos, Chapelizod village, Dolphins Barn, Walkinstown roundabout, Milltown bridge, Fosters Ave and the last half mile are out of body experiences, the things us mortals don't get to experience often, pure magic.

Part of you wants to leap around like a child high fiving everyone and soak it all in, but the the head says no keep the show on the road.

Wonderful how people keep so enthusiastic hour after hour out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Week 9/9

THE FEAR have nearly talked myself out of it. First half of the week was remembering the wall and the couple days after my only other marathon. Remain feeling undercooked but focusing on my work before this short blocks and the solid 6 weeks since the week lost to illness. The sunny weather and jazz on streets of the city (Cork) are helping though!! Best of luck everybody on Sunday!

Monday 6k @5:15

Tuesday lunch 7k@5:13

Tuesday evening 5k@5:24

Wednesday 7k@5:10

Thursday lunch 6k @5:07

thursday evening 6k@5:16

friday 5.2k @5:10

total 42.2k so far this week…..

thanks to @Laineyfrecks @Murph_D and @lambay for all their advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

A couple of practical tips for tomorrow.

Make sure you fully charge your watch.

Check that you don't have any active pace alerts. Turn them off to avoid your head being wrecked.

If you're concerned about battery life turn off Bluetooth if you're not using it.

Eat light. The final day of mega carbs is today.

Remember the clocks go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

You’ve got your bodies ready physically to run 42.2km over the last weeks and months but don’t forget about your mind also.

Stay positive throughout as the mind will quit before the body if you let it. It will get tough at some stage, there is no doubting that, but be ready for it when it happens.

Keep smiling, soak in the crowd and the atmosphere ,use it to your advantage,all that will get you to the finish line.

You will never again run your first Marathon, and believe me you have picked one of the very best to do as your first. There is very few Marathons anywhere that compare to Dublin.

Enjoy it and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

All the best to you all on Sunday. As above, you never forget your first ! You've done so much outstanding work over the last 18 weeks, suoerbly guided by your mentors. Reading this takes me back to my own DCM experiences - running it in 2016 was a day that will live with me forever. This time, I'll only be around in a support capacity, somewhere around Castleknock. Savour every minute !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Just back from the expo - feels real now that I have my race number.

Got some nice new gels to try on Sunday :) jk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

2019 graduate just dropping in to wish you all a fantastic day on Sunday!

Honestly, soak it all in... make a conscious effort to savour the great moments... the buzz at the start area, the tsunami of noise at Myo's (Oh. My. God 😁), Walkinstown, Milltown, and... whatever this Purple Mile turns out to be at the end 😁

Have a brilliant day! 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Jaysus giving me palpitations till I seen the jk😮😂

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Have the bib number, gear all laid out, List of bits and bobs to get tomorrow done. That's settled the nerves a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

I'd like to wish my fellow novices all the best for tomorrow. Looking at the progress posts here and in the Strava group it's obvious that everyone has put in a tremendous amount of work over the last few months and I've no doubt we are all ready for the start.

I know there are also a lot of other novices who don't post here but use the posts for inspiration and guidance and I also wish you the best of luck.

Personally I'm not sure I would be where I am now, knowing I am as ready as I will ever be, without this community.

Of course the greatest thanks is of course to the mentors. I've read and taken on board everything you said over the last few months and while I can't say I always followed all the advice and have made mistakes, your guidance got this 47 year old man to the start line of another DCM, my second, after one in 2008. I was disappointed with my performance that time, going out too fast, not having a fueling strategy, and hitting the wall hard. I never thought I would get another chance to do one again, but in 25 hours I'll be crossing the start line. I honestly don't know when I was last so excited. So, mentors, thank you so so much.

One final thing I often remember when I'm out doing the long runs. After about 10 or so miles, I'm feeling strong and without a bother, I think WTF. How the hell am I able to run so far and still feel good. There's not many people who can say that, but we can. That's so cool.

So, whatever happens tomorrow and no matter what time is on the board, let's remember that we are in a very small group of people that will say we ran a marathon.

The best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Enjoy it. I know I absolutely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Don't worry about that rain today folks, they're just cleaning the course for you! 🌧

Just want to pop on to wish everyone the very best of luck of tomorrow, the excitement has well & truly kicked in!! It has been a privilege to be part of your journey. You have all worked really hard so please remember that when things get a bit tough. Believe in yourself & your training, no matter what time you are going for that feeling of crossing the line will be like no other feeling, I still remember 2019, I was on a high for so long. Soak up all the support, have your name clear on your bib, that feeling when you are tired & then strangers start calling your name is amazing, take energy from it. If things get tough don't be a slave to your splits, back off on the effort a bit & gather yourself then hopefully push on again. Please remember what an absolutely amazing achievement it is to complete a marathon & how grateful you should feel that you can do this - Feel proud💙

Make sure you acknowledge & thank all those who have supported you on your journey, they too have made sacrifices & it's always nice to show them how grateful you are🤗

Make sure you all try to get to bed early tonight (I know it will be so hard to sleep) & most of all, have the most amazing day☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Just about to head out for that last 2 mile - definitely easy! Hard to believe it’s happening tomorrow. Just to say, like @theRef above and others already, how great it’s been to be part of this group. I know it made a huge difference to me on the training. Thanks to all the novices for your questions, comments, kudos the last few months! Thanks also to the past novices and mentors - all your comments the last days especially..

Special thanks to @Laineyfrecks , @Lambay island and @Murph_D You’ve all been amazing throughout the last 18 weeks getting us this far.

Best of luck tomorrow 🏃‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Like some posters before, I have been following this thread with great interest for months, but never joined in, I wish I did! It's also my first marathon, loosely followed the boards plan (focusing on the long runs and 2 midweek but also cycling). The advice and encouragement has been superb throughout, the focus on slow running has been especially enlightening, took me a long time to get my head around that!

Was going for a sub 4hr, but my last 3 weeks have been horrendous, suffered a minor bike injury but enough to prevent running for 2 weeks , and of course over did it with a 20km run as my first run back last Sunday, leading to some niggles. So it's very much see how we go tomorrow!

But sincere thanks to all the posters who have given their time to this thread, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck everyone - the training is in the bag, it's just a question now of going out and doing justice to the work you've all put in by having a good race. Whatever pace you've trained for, that's what you should be doing - resist the urge especially in the first few miles to get swept along in the crowd. Remember the majority of men marathon runners overestimate their potential and go out to fast (women are more realistic and tend to pace themselves more consistently, but sadly we don't seem to have any 'ladies' in the group this year.) 😔 Stick to the plan and have a great day!

We haven't talked about McGrattan's much (unless I missed it), but that's where a lot of boardsies hang out for a few drinks after DCM so do try to come along and say hello in person. There should be a few of us there, don't be afraid to ask a random stranger where the Boards.ie people are, eventually you will find us! McGrattans is in Fitzwilliam Lane, which is very close to the finish area, down the lane beside the Merrion Hotel.

Run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The very best of luck to everyone tomorrow, I'm getting nervous reading all your posts and am bricking it for you lol. I only started running last year and have run a few half and three quarters this year so have a fair idea of what it's like. I absolutely wasn't ready for the big one this year. But I will hopefully be in the same position as you all this time next year.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. I'm starting to feel massively nervous at this stage.

The last 18 weeks have been a great journey for me. Again massive thanks to the mentors and everyone else who's chipped in with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Thanks to mentors and experienced runners for advice it's been a lifesaving resource for the lead-up. Had been heading diligently for a 4.30 but been laid up the last fortnight so just hoping my dedication up til then will take me to the finish line 🙈

Best of luck to everyone, its an incredible achievement to get the start line alone 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Tomorrow at the bag drop, turn your watch to GPS mode so it picks up the satellites. Can then go back to the main screen to conserve battery but I have seen people absolutely panic cos they wait until 5 mins before, have never been in Dublin before with their watch and it won't get signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Best of luck everyone and thanks again to our 3 mentors. I wouldn't have made it to the start line without the tips and support from this group along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! A huge thank you to the 3 mentors for getting us to the starting line tomorrow 🙂 hope you all have a great run and can't wait to read the race reports..

Ps: if you see me lying down along the route somewhere just leave me be 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

One rule of running, if you see someone lying on the ground make sure you stop their watch - and then keep going. It's the least you can do 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Believe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On marshal duty. Can't wait, the atmosphere will be fantastic. Best of luck, all! Don't forget to smile. Playlist suggestions were lighting up WhatsApp like a Christmas tree.

Here's what was blasting out of the speakers when I crossed the start line in Cincinnati.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Can anybody give a link to the live stream please? I've tried the YouTube page but the can't find the live stream.

Advertisement