Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck to all here running on Sunday! Enjoy the day 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Hi Brio, glad to see your through the worst of the illness. I have been in similar position returning from illness and noticing an increased heart rate. One thing I noticed in the first few runs back was that my HR varied dramatically at the same pace but on different days. It has settled now but still higher than it was pre-illness.

I would say take the advice from Murph & scale back ambitions but even then keep an eye on HR during race. I plan on sticking to pacers where I can but have mentally prepared to slow if I see my HR skyrocketing & will be checking this regularly.

I'm sure mentors can correct me, but I did read that keeping yourself cool can also help keep HR down so probably some measures can be taken there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Best of luck on Sunday folks. The most important thing to do is to enjoy the experience. It's a fantastic event. I might see ye in McGrattans afterwards for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Are we all on the spreadsheet? Small crowd this year! Easier to keep an eye on yez....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

3 days left! Doing my last run today, was sick over the weekend but feeling much better now and really looking forward to Sunday :)

Took the next two days off work just to relax and head into the expo tomorrow instead of Saturday. Hope everyone is resting up and looking forward to the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

sounds like a good plan. Since you are off, I'd say try and avoid Lunchtime for Expo tomorrow as can imagine that is when it will be busy - just after opening time too

How are we all feeling? nerves, excitement etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

Well, I have spent an hour trying to find my BodyGlide. I bet I put it somewhere for safe keeping and now no idea where it is. I'm sure I'll find it but if not, will try pick one up somewhere Saturday. Vaseline as backup.

I am incredibly looking forward to it. Only real concern is the pace. I know the mentors spoke about taking it easy first half, but the 10-20k is mostly downhill so how to take advantage of that without coming back to haunt me later. I'm have a PacingPro strategy set on my Garmin to take it easier on the hills so am planning on following that. Plan is 4 hours with a very slight negative split.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have settled on my strategy now but I was playing around with an aggressive downhill strategy, it had me running parts of that section at HM pace.

I went there and tested it out and it scared me a little.

I changed strategy after that. Now I'm using those early downhills as a recovery of sorts, a chance to drop the HR.

I think it wise. The focus throughout the whole race should be the last 10k, and arriving there with energy.

Blast down Fosters Ave. If you're in a position to do that you will be on fire mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It feels real now, I'm both really looking forward it but also nervous as hell at the same time.

My mind was pretty much the same as TheRef on pace, take it easy for the first 7 miles than attack a bit for the downhill section, then possibly ease back off from mile 12 for the next uphill segment and then see how I feel for the last 6-7 miles. @Lazare makes a good point on the HR so I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting too high.

I've a question on the start, if I bring some throwaway clothes to keep warm do people just dump them at the start or how are they disposed of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭sk8board

All throwaway’s get passed out over the barriers into piles and go to charity. V common at almost all marathons these days, esp marathons with different start and finish points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

TBH ran Monday and Tuesday and nothing since , physio yesterday for a rub down

might do a short one in morning but to be honest am enjoying the rest and feel better for it

covid outbreak at work so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck to everyone running on Sunday. I haven't really had the time to drop in here as much as I would have liked but I always have huge respect for the novices every year. I hope it goes well and you all have the experience you deserve. Might see ye in McGrattans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

u can leave ur clothes on the railing, u will see where to .. just bring warm clothes and follow the pack - everyone will be doing the same

if it is ur first time be prepared to throw all plans out of the window in term of pacing. finish lines not finish times (someone told me this my first time but like most people i did not pay much attention and chased a goal, just ENJOY the moment. u never get to run your first marathon again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck to you all on Sunday, above anything else, have a great time, soak up the atmosphere and ENJOY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck to all you first timers. Fvcking stressful time IIRC. Only bit of advise I have is get there early, the atmosphere before the race is like nothing you will have felt before. Pure energy, suck it in and give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've been dipping in and out of this thread for a read. The very best of luck to all first timers. I've no practical advise to offer - just take in the event and the atmosphere of the day. Looking forward to reading the race reports next week.

Edit to add: I'll be spectating at the 4 mile marker and at about 11.5 mile across from or around the corner from Kilmainham Gaol - on your left hand side both times with a Donegal flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lads, I am absolutely sh1ting it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Trampas

My advice is taking it easy at start and listen to your body. I’ve and people have ran better when you take the pressure off and you lose the tension and stress it causes on body. Even in normal conditions I’d advise everyone to be at minimum 5/10 seconds a km slower over the first 11km. You won’t regret. You’ll get a lot of that back over next few kms on run to chapelizord even easing up and getting the hr down.

Back in 2014 I went chasing times over the first 11km and it was a long slow painful second half. I’d done a few before this.

Relax enjoy it and build into it. Don’t be afraid to let the pacers go off ahead if you feel you need to push to keep up. Remember to run your race and not someone else’s. Only you know what your pace is and what’s to hard or not.

Good luck and soak it up

🙂 .. That is all very normal. The hardwork is done - you've got this 💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Perfectly normal for anyone stepping on to the start line of a marathon, even those who are experienced marathon runners. This is when you need to think back on all the runs you've done since signing up. The training is completed. All the horrid days of windy and rainy weather you've run through. The multiple sacrifices each of you has made to put yourself on the start line. You also need to consider that you're not just putting yourself on the start line, you're putting yourself out in to the public domain (family, friends, colleagues etc) that you're going to run Dublin City Marathon. You're putting yourself on a pedestal above the average Joe/Josephine. If it was easy, they'd all be doing it.

There will be physical and mental challenges on the day. This is what your amazing mentor team have been preparing you for. Double down on the advice they've given you, it'll be pay dividends.

Sunday is your coronation as a marathon runner. Embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Same here, nerves and excitement are building!! Going to lay everything needed out tonight and I think that will settle me down. I am starting to get these fake aches and pains too!

Best of luck to everyone and thanks again to all the mentors for their support, it would have been so much harder to get to the start line without their support and guidance.

For anyone knocking around the start line on Sunday, I'll be in a neon blue cycling jacket, you can't miss me, say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Totally normal to be sh1tting yourself right now, to be full of nerves and excitement. I am too.

Know this though, Sunday morning is going to feel like Xmas morn when you're a 6 year old.

Love every single minute of it from the moment you wake up.

Write your name on your bib with a Sharpie. It's some buzz when strangers shout your name encouraging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

When the going gets tough it’s time to smile! It works for Kipchoge! Use the crowd too get your going again and soak up the atmosphere the whole around. Wave to them and cheer and give others a cheer too.

Have a great day everybody. Best of luck. Don’t go out too fast. Be the people gloating in the 2nd half because you conserved energy!

Post edited by Kellygirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corleone64

Long time lurker, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in here and @Laineyfrecks in particular. It's been a hugely valuable resource.

I've followed the Hal Hidgeon throughout and, barring an ill-advised trip to Oktoberfest and a subsequent chesty cold which knocked me off for 10 days at a pivotal point and destroyed my attempt at 20 miles (had to call a taxi on 17 miles as was completely gone), it's gone pretty well. Had hoped to do it under 4 hours, but I'd be happy with 4.15 now based on what the predictors are telling me. Plan to tuck in behind the pacers and see how I feel. Lungs feel pretty good, but the legs have been struggling any time I've gone beyond 20k.

Best of luck to everyone running

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Currently in the queue for the expo. It's getting long fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The very best of Luck to everyone for Sunday. If you have followed the plan the miles are in your legs so just go out ,soak up the atmosphere and enjoy what will be one of the best experiences of your Life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

This is totally normal! Monday I was questioning my whole existence & running another marathon was the furthest thing from my mind🤯

I am in a really good head space now, I read back over my training in this block, looked at all those long runs that I did, just like you! You followed a plan, sacrificed many things along the way so now feel proud & know that you have got this! Take energy from the amazing support around you on the day but also believe in yourself, the hard work is done😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday. Get to bed early tonight in case you're a bit restless tomorrow. The crowd at Myos will make the hair stand up on your arms, that's when you know you're running DCM!

Advertisement