Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

With the mentor hat on, I would advise not to think too far beyond the task in hand. Who knows how you feel after DCM. The body does need recovery time. I have never done run the line but PY seems to have some solid advice there about perhaps doing the shorter version. Thanks @py for setting up separate thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublin334

First Look at the weather forecast for next weekend. Plenty of wind and rain around!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

way way to far out for it to be accurate (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’ve managed the 13k RTL a couple of times post DCM. But probably wouldn’t have managed the longer version without it being a slog. The short version is great fun actually. Doubt if I’d have managed it after my debut though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

As long as the rain isn't too heavy i don't mind it, wind on other hand. Not too fond 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭birofunk

So turns out I've a chest infection and have been given a course of antibiotics for 5 days. I'll be finished them Tuesday, marathon Sunday. Not sure if that'll be enough time but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

I'm down to start in wave 2, targeting a time around 3:30. Plan was to go off slower than that and maybe have the 3:30 pacers caught somewhere between 16-21km and see how I go from there.

Now, I'm thinking of dropping down to wave 3, my family are making the trip up from the west that morning and it may suit them better if I drop down, give them more of a chance to make it to the route and get a vantage point, would be very disappointed if I didn't see them on course.

If I do this though it seems, going by this post, I'll be running on my own and no pacers to keep aim for. If I start in wave 3 with the 4 hour pacers then surely I'll get caught in no man's land after a few km's as I'm targeting 3:30, so that could prove an additional challenge.

Any more experienced runners be able to give me some guidance on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You definitely won’t be on your own. Plenty people will be in wave 3 who should be in wave 2 so they’ll be alongside you. There’ll also be plenty in wave 2 who you will catch up with. I would line up at the back of wave 2, walk forward with them and hang back when they cross the line. Use the bathrooms and chill out waiting for wave 3 to walk up. Stay on the right hand side of the street as you’ll be turning right quite soon and the people on the left hand side run a much wider turn than you would. Use the space to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭sk8board

Might be worth bearing in mind that if you’re in a wave below your ability, and pace your race correctly, you’re going to come across a lot of people walking from the wave above by the 30k mark, which can be a downer.

if you run your own pace in wave 2 and stick to it, you’ll have plenty ’strangers’ at that same pace still running with you all the way to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Trampas

I find going by people later in race helps my go faster as feels like I’m taking their energy going by

where are you planning to see them that makes you want to drop back? You’ve got to do what’s best for you and not them I’m sorry to say. If it’s on route they’ll see you for seconds while you’re out for hours. You don’t want to look back and say what if I didn’t drop back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Week 8/9

As expected this week was a bit all over the place with both my and my wife’s work commintments with the added bonus of a sick child at the end of it!

Mon Lunch 8k @5:11

Evening 12k @5:20 debated doing the strength session per plan due tuesday especially as the Sunday long run was “only” an easy 16k. Was tired enough so scratched that idea early and the brothers Hanson don’t advise back to back sessions!

Tuesday lunch 8k @5:09

Wednesday lunch 8k @5:11

Thursday morning 3k @5:06k (hoped to get 5k but no time for it. 3k would get me over 80k for the week

evening 16k at training MP tgt 4:22 act 4:20. This felt the least hard of these though not sure was it due to the lighter lead in (no strength session) or actual fitness. Chose to believe fitness 😀. Total 20k

friday evening 8k at 5:19. Creche call meant collecting number 2 at 11. Was tired after previous night all the same so kinda glad this wasn’t done until the evening. Just now realised I should have thrown in a few extra k to try and hit the plan tgt!

Sunday 13k @5:13. Overall avg probably a few seconds slower than actual has had a few patches of this where I had to wade through flooded sections (by the Lee). Not the best idea as the wife suggested I needed a hep A shot from the dirty water!

Weekly total 81k

knee alright. I reckon will be goosed from the marathon but am ok with that.

looking forward to this weeks easy running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

WEEK 18 - THE FINAL COUNTDOWN 

OMG - Only 7 more sleeps!! where has the time gone?

Before we reach the start line, there is the final week of the taper to negotiate. As last week, just make sure to keep the paces appropriate - conserve that energy for Sunday! If you're worried about a niggle then rest might be your friend. Use this week to look back over your training to remind yourself of everthing you've accomplished and to reassure yourself that you are as ready as you can be. Be confident in your preparation and get to the start line knowing you have sacrificed a lot for this race and are very well prepared.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|2m easy|rest|rest|DCM 22

Boards|rest, cross or 2m rec|2m easy|1m easy, 3m pace, 1m easy|3m easy|rest|2m easy|DCM 22 

If you're injured, it's simple. Don't run. If you're very sick, don't run. If you're just a little bit sick or you wake up with a cold that morning, then readjust your goal a bit but you'll probably be fine.

Everyone should practice their marathon breakfast a few times this week and practice getting up at the same time you will on Sunday week and go through the pre-race routine before your runs. Get into a good routine of getting to bed earlier all week if possible.

Easy to say I know but try not to obsess about the weather this week. There is NOTHING you can do about it except for readjusting your goal a little if it's particularly bad. If you wake up on Sunday and it's very windy and rainy (which it won't be!) then you're not going to cancel doing the race so just take it as it comes and relax... It's in the hands of the weather gods!

Keep yourselves well hydrated but don't overdo it this week. I used to add the odd electrolyte tablet to my water the 2 days before the race last year.

You may have heard about the idea of carb loading before a race. It's true that we will try and top up our glycogen stores before Sunday, but that's not an excuse to eat all round you this week. A little extra in portion size should do it, with particular focus on simple carbs such as pasta. We will come back to this as the week progresses.

ariana' produced a nice checklist a couple of years ago, so I may as well re-use it now. Use the early part of the week to have all this organised, and avoid any last-minute hassle:

- Race outfit is clean and ready to go

- Any additional race kit - waist belt, sun visor, sunglasses etc.

- Body glide if you use it

- Throw away clothes to keep warm beforehand

- Race fuel & hydration

- Evening before meal (you may need to book a restaurant if you're staying in Dublin over-night?)

- Pre-race breakfast (if you're staying in a hotel you may want to check if they provide breakfast or bring your own - porridge pots are very handy for this)

- Pre-race snack (something to eat in the half hour before you start)

- Book bus/train if you're using it to get to Dublin on Saturday

- Check and double check public transport times if you're using it

- Cut your toe nails!

- Pin down arrangements for your supporters to see you on the course

Don't compare yourself to other runners. It's counterproductive and will do nothing for your confidence.

Best of luck with the final weeks training, hopefully we will see you in McGratton's for a well deserved drink or two😉 this time next week you will all be the proud owners of your very own DCM medal😊

If you have a 3:30 marathon in you, forget about the lack of pacers, just trust yourself and the many people you will find around you at 3:30 pace. Or else stick with the original plan. Pace groups can be incredibly motivational and if you were planning to run with one, don’t change the plan at the last minute. Your call!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

@MooShop Just to reiterate this point, don't let that play on your mind at all.

When doing Manchester, my entire plan from the very first day of training was focused on following a pacer and on the morning we were delayed so missed the pacer. I was panicking for 20 or so minutes of the race but then decided it wasn't going to ruin my race.

I ended up running past the finish line with the pacer even though I'd started 10 mins after him, which I thought was fairly ironic.

You won't get caught in no man's lad in Dublin runners will be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

I was only getting back running after nearly 3 weeks off with injury/sickness so I was just trying to get a couple of runs in.

Everything was done easy as I didn't feel great but they did get better as the week went on.

I did a 13km, 10km & 6.5km all around the 6.00min per km Mark & managed a 25km Weds. Although I was fairly wrecked I'm happy now that I'll manage to get through the race itself. My knee held up fine which was the big worry although my heart rate was a lot than it had been 3 weeks ago on similar runs & i did feel like I was having to work a lot harder. So ill just have to watch that and adjust accordingly on Sunday.

But I'm a lot more optimistic now than I was a week ago & I hope everyone else is starting to get excited & stays healthy & fit for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the RTL long route is a tough MF and marathon training does next to nothing to prepare you for it (unless, of course, you've been doing your long runs in the mountains). I've done it a couple years after DCM and found it tougher, especially the last few KMs. I'd recommend, if you're going to go ahead and do it, to keep your options open. There is a decision point in the course - keep going straight for long, turn right for short - and you don't have to make the decision until you get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Hi All, looking forward to my first DCM this weekend. I'll be travelling from Dun Laoghaire and the 46A seems like the obvious way to get in but I can't find any information about diversions etc on the day. Anyone have any info/experience to share?

Hi all - we’ve created a Google doc here for everyone to fill in their target times. Always good to have a list of who is still with us and the targets. We can fill in the actual times after the race and see how everyone measured up against their targets.

Fire away!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bsFNCDJ4ntu4CnlwbJmuWV5OcI8CLFireEcyMLfy5go/edit#gid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Thanks everyone for the replies, found them helpful. I think I'm happy enough to go in wave 3 based off your input.

I've never done a marathon before and never had a race with pacers so not exactly familiar with them or anything. Thought I could use them as a good marker on the day, wasn't necessarily planning to run with them the whole way but to sit in for a while and if it was a big group maybe hope to conserve some energy that way. But I'm happy with my training, especially in the last 6 weeks or so and I'm backing myself to run 3:30 regardless. Though saying that, I'm not putting huge stock into a time, being my first I want to enjoy the experience, a good time with be a bonus but not the be all and end all for me, this time anyway!

Fair play, that's a great run and you could easily have been thrown with that unexpected turn but sounds like you handled it perfectly, shows great resilience. Thanks for the message, definitely helped me.

I wasn't set on going with a pacer but being inexperienced I'm not really sure what the day will bring. Though it will be unlike any event I've ever run, think the biggest race I've been in had around 800 people and can be on your own after a while but I guess the scale of the marathon and size of the field is something completely new to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Well, I've been very quiet for the last few weeks. Been very mediocre training wise, had a cough (wouldn't quite call it a chest infection) for about a week or so which ruined one week and also had the end of the football season which ruined another two marathon wise (we won the champo so some silver lining 😀).

Feeling a little apprehensive of Sunday but I suppose it's to be expected with the fear of the unknown. Likely still being too ambitious but going to aim for sub 3:40, would have laughed at you if you said it would be my target. Suspect its a less than 50% chance of achieving but I'd rather push it to the limit than leave anything out there. Thought I would be one and done but have generally enjoyed the training so who knows - let's see after Sunday.

Thanks to the mentors for all the time and effort so far and the very best of luck to everyone come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Its view only @Murph_D if you can amend pls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The last few days I've been having a bit of pain in my hip. Pretty sure its a glute tendon flaring up. My plan this week is to abandon the scheduled runs and do some work with a theraband and foam roller. Maybe a few short walks but no sense in making it any worse and hopefully a few days of settling it will be alright on the day.

Now to figure out the logistics of the day. What time is everyone aiming to be there at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Does anybody know if you really need to be at your zone by 8am or for zone 3 would a little later be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭sk8board

10-20min before go-time would be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Just on the off chance anyone might have missed this from a few weeks ago. The linked post is a brilliant read.

With only a few days left, I hope all novices paid attention to Laineyfreck's checklist above. I especially hope everyone trimmed their toenails yesterday, and if you didn't get to it as early as possible today. I'll be picking up some gels today myself - don't leave it to the last minute or you'll be forced to use whatever they have at the expo.

In the final few days it's really important to be paying attention to your hydration - just have a bottle nearby all the time and sip away. Being well hydrated is also important for loading up the energy stores, believe it or not, as each gramme of glycogen is bound to 3-4 grammes of water. And finally, try to load up on the carbohydrates over the next few days - again don't overdo it, but favour things like pasta, potatoes, and AMK's favourite, pancakes. For a marathon debut you don't want to be too picky about this - you'll eventually learn what foods you respond best to - just keep it simple for now and eat well and snack often. Try to get as many calories in as you can. Good calories preferably!

And plenty of sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭birofunk

Finished antibiotics last night. Feeling a lot better (resting hr back to normal, sleeping well) but still have a phelgmy cough. Ran a couple of km this morning and heart rate was way up. Anyone been in this position before?

• Advertisement

Have not been in the position of being ill enough to take antibiotics before an important race. But if you must run on Sunday, lower the expectations and just try to get around.

Advertisement