Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Couldn't find it either. The link on the website just directs you to a YouTube channel with no link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It's pathetic in this day and age that our national tv channels are not covering this event and that the main sponsors cannot be asked to sort out a live stream.

Absolutely Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Trampas

If Irish life want to cough up they can get it on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublin334

First Race Report for DCM 2022

Arrived in plenty of time and lined up at the top of Wave 3. Flew through the first few miles a little too fast but calmed it down by mile 3 and went steady for next 10-12 miles. The crowds in Castleknock village were a real highlight and tremendous energy which fed to all of the runners. Plenty of high 5's all along the route which were great fun.

Kept stopping at every water station and drinking the 250ml of water. I think that worked pretty well and got through the first half of the race under 2 hours and felt comfortable. However, by mile 15/16 was starting to really feel stiff, sore and legs were hard to lift. If we were only a 20 mile course I think I could have kept going but decided to walk a few hundred yards in each mile. Slowed my pace right up but I think it worked to keep me going to the end. Finished with a time of 4:10 which was outside my target of 4hrs but I don't think I would change a whole lot if I ran again tomorrow. I think once I get over 16/17 miles my body always seizes up and gets very sore so I need to drop the pace significantly.

Thanks Everyone for all the insights and contribution to the boards thread. It helped the race preparation massively but I think the most important advice was to smile and enjoy the people supporting the runners. It was very humbling all the encouragement, fun and positivity oozing from every street. Glad to see everyone's finishing times for the group pop up. Finishing is the real prize, apparently only 1% of the population have every completed a marathon.

So well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Finally got to experience "the wall" after 32k. Every step "stop no stop no stop no". It was like d day normany landing that last 5k with bodies everywhere, medics doing cpr. Crazy stuff.

According to TDL only 10827 finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Finished in 4:34. Was hoping for a bit faster but sickness messed me for the last 7 weeks. I'm absolutely delighted with my time though 🙂

Race report to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

I was hoping for a 3:59:59, but I knew after 5km that wasn't going to happen.

Went to the toilet near the bagage drop, waited almost half an hour.

when walking to the zone start, there are were dozens of toilets without anyone using them so I went again.

But after the start I needed to go again. After Dublin Zoo a few runners went against the fences of what I believe was Dublin Zoo so I joined them. The 4h packets went by and I thought I'll just catch them again.

That didn't happen. I was feeling OK, but I could see the pacers putting some distance between me and them. After around 20k I finally lost sight of them, and in a way all the pressure was gone.

Decided to take it easy but has some really stiff legs the last 10k so I had to walk every now and then.

Finished in 4h21m

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done all - don't forget to update the spreadsheet with your result: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bsFNCDJ4ntu4CnlwbJmuWV5OcI8CLFireEcyMLfy5go/edit#gid=0

Some great results yesterday, and also a lot finding the going tough - I've never seen so many people walking the Clonskeagh/Roebuck drags, so it certainly wasn't an easy day out.

Great to be part of this thread this year, and thanks very much for the very thoughtful gift. Fair play to all who trained for DCM 2022, whether you made the start line or not. Please do continue to contribute to this forum, we need the new blood that the marathon always brings in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I echo all @Murph_D has said. Well done to you all, it defo wasn't the easiest of days for a marathon! I hope you are all still buzzing this morning & realise what a huge achievement it is to have ran a marathon.

I'd like to say a huge thanks for the beautiful flowers I received during the week, they really cheered me up & for the gift I received in Mc Grattons.

Recover well & I look forward to reading your race reports😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

First marathon for me, and absolutely loved it! Had a goal of 4hrs but with a very poor last 3 weeks so was open minded on the day. The anticipatory buzz in the morning was brilliant, packed luas in to town was some craic, sun shining down while waiting in the wave 3 start, unreal.

Heart rate was very high for the first 3 km but thankfully that settled down. Castleknock did not disappoint, not one but two live bands, amazing noise! Got quite emotional there with the crowds!

If I took one lesson from this thread into the race it was to do the first half slowly and, if the body allows, go for it in the second half. Was following the 4 hr pacers but it got quite congested behind them on the way back into the Phoenix park, so nudged ahead of them where it was open country. Felt great at chapelizod so decided to power on. The crowd at dolphins barn was brilliant, there was a bit of a manic atmosphere at that one!

Would agree that it's a bit of a drag from there for a bit, but worth it for the whole Tempelogue to Milltown section.

This is where things got really interesting, I felt terrific but could see many many people really showing down from Milltown hill. All the way up clonskeagh and Roebuck was like a warzone, lots of people walking and looking quite dejected. Absolutely lashed up Roebuck passing people as I go, which gave me great encouragement to just go for it at this stage.

The purple mile was surreal, crowds were insane but passed quite a few bodies getting CPR which was quite harrowing - what a contrast. Any way, the other bit of advice that stuck was how good it would feel to pass so many people if feeling fresh, and they're right, it was electric.

Did a 24 minute final 5km to finish at 3.45, smashing my expectations, and a large part of that is down to following the sound advice on here, so thank you!

Brilliant buzz in town, very sore today. What an occasion, thought the organisation was phenomenal and the plentiful water was fantastic. What a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well done everyone and well done to the mentors for another successful batch of novices. Always great to see a new gang coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I think to say my first marathon was quite an experience is an understatement. We drove up from Kildare to the Red Cow to get the Luas, got crammed on like sardines but it was a good laugh.

I started in wave 3 just behind the 4:10 pacers, fell pretty good for the first while and passed the 4:00 pacers in the Phoenix park. Coming out of the park and onto Castleknock was unreal, it was a total adrenaline rush with the crowds and the band playing.

My family and friends were at Walkinstown and another group at Bushy park, it was great flying by them. By 29km I was averaging 5:28 per km so well on for my 4 hour target. It all then went horribly wrong, I made a fatal mistake and stopped to use the toilet. When I came out I started running again but within 200 meters my left calf locked up with cramp. I tried walking for a bit and stretching it out against a wall but to no avail, my right calf quickly followed suit. I just couldn't shake it off, I spent the final 13k running for a few hundred meters then when the calves cramped up walking for a minute and then running again when the cramp settled. It was torture. It was demoralizing seeing the 4:00 and then the 4:10 pacers pass me by, I kept trying to get going but the cramp kept coming back. I ended up finishing in just over 4:15.

I'm cursing myself for stopping for the toilet, obviously I've no way of knowing what would have happened had I not. Overall I can't be too upset, I finished my first marathon. I've really enjoyed the training with the high point being a smashing my half PB with a sub 1:43. The crowds and then support on the day was something I'll never forget, I couldn't believe the amount of people giving out snacks to total strangers off their own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

I didn’t really post on this thread at all so apologies about that.

Yesterday went very well for me. I wanted sub 4 and got 3:57

I had doubts beforehand as I was told by a few that I’d need a much faster half marathon to go sub 4. Some had suggested sub 1:50 all the way down to a 1:45 half.My half time from the Phoenix Park half was 1:53 just for context. Anyway I got my sub 4 so delighted.

I don’t really know many of the roads in Dublin or any of areas we ran through so it was all new to me and I really enjoyed it. I had heard of the long stretches in places like Crumlin and Clonskeagh but as I wasn’t exactly sure where those places were I wasn’t thinking too much about what was coming next on the course in terms of a hill or long drag etc. I was your stereotypical culchie up in Dublin for the day! I asked someone afterwards just as we were let out of the baggage area where were we? The response was “You’re in Dublin bud” ! I really meant what street we were on so I could find my way back to Stephens green, but he was gone before I could explain!

The support was fantastic btw.

Well done to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

“You’re in Dublin bud” 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic. Fist pumping for you reading that, what an epic first marathon you had. It will live with you forever. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Runster

You would've been forgiven if you didn't know where you were after running a marathon :)

That's a great result and delighted that you blew that pace theory out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Get Real

First time poster on this thread. I have massive respect for the times I see people with on here and other threads in the forum.

Yesterday was my first ever marathon, and while I started out with the 4.20 pacers, ended up finishing 4.50.

I kept with the 4.20 pacers up until c20 miles. Then, suddenly my right leg seized up. I thought I was gone, that was it. I verrrry slowly jogged and walked briefly while supping a lucozade cup.

With about 6miles/10km left I was disheartened and had huge fear I'd seize up altogether and not complete it. So I did a combo of walk/jog until the purple mile and gave it all I could.

At least, I felt I was hammering away but I probably looked strange in a jogging motion but in reality at tortoise speed!

I'm sore today and although I was training throughout, I've a new drive to work towards and improve on myself in another Marathon.

Fair play to all and thanks to the experienced heads for encouragement on the day and those who were doing it for the first time like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

DCM ‘22

Awake since 4:30 - at least it was 5:30 in old money which is an hour the youngest has a habit of being bright eyed and bushy tailed for. Dozed until 6:10 alarm. Porridge and toast cleared by 6:45. Some foam rolling and off out the door.

Stayed down by UCD so only a quick 10min drive up to the start area. Parked by the Amazon building on Burlington road. Lots of people around with clear bags so excitement built quickly. Up Mount st to the bag drop. Bit of positive visualisation of seeing myself strong and crowds cheering on in a few hours.

foolishly thought I would see some of the others I knew in wave 1 but shure there were thousands about!

Simple plan. Stick with the 3:10 pacer. Lap alert off and watch face set to time and distance only. Had no idea what the splits should be (except obvious half in 1:35:00)

Really enjoyed the freedom. Simply follow the the lad with the big balloon.

Castleknock was great with the band and the crowd. That part of the city least well known to me. My boss said he would be out in Chapelzoid cheering myself and my work mate but no sign there. Wiped my hands from a gel across my front around here, completely forgetting about my number so ripped it mostly off. Stuck myself a coupes time with the safety pens 😂 putting it back. You wouldn’t mind but I did the same around bushy park again 🫣.

Through half way in 1:35:08. Pacer reminded us all that’s from start time and we were 10 secs ahead from his watch

Around the 16mile mark pacer asked how every one was. He said here is where the pain normally begins. I was feeling good and strong still. Second pacer was 100 yds ahead without balloon so over the next couple k through Terenure etc. made my way up him. Through Milltown (and that sharp hill which I dreaded as soon as I realised it was on the route) successfully navigated though probably related to that was 1 friend at the bottom of the hill and another at the top so couldn’t let the side down.

Down through Clonskeagh and started seeing the first of the walkers. Nervous now ahead of the hill and these did nothing for me. Turn coming up onto roebuck avenue and could see the crowds of support. I was reminded by the Tour de France mountain stages and supporters practically dragging the cyclists up the hill. Successfully managed heartbreak hill. Still feeling good and strong so made the decision to pull away. Spotted a few runners who had been in the group earlier and new plan was to try and pick them off. Worked my way through these and then last friends shout of encouragement at bottom of baggot st and the start of the purple mile.

Foot completely down at this stage and passed through the finishing gantry in 3:08 flat by watch. A few wobbly steps but overwhelming joy and elation otherwise.

chip time 3:08:28 but given the massive difference I presume that will be adjusted lower at some stage?!! Doesn’t really matter.

Support was fantastic through all the built up areas.

Hope yea had a great time in McGrattans. Wanted to get home to put the gang to bed so after I had the Bunsen burger I promised myself it was straight to the car for the drive home

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭winstonia

I thought you'd fly alright given your training paces. Kudos. You'll be doing sub 3 soon on the flatter courses. Your chip time should be the right one unless you're looking at gun time.

Fantastic Gazzler, that is one sweet marathon. Huge congrats.

You really put the work in and it paid off handsomely. Another one nudging me towards Hanson 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Well, what a day that was!

DCM 2022 3:25:28 Race report

The day started early enough and I set the alarm for 6am which is an ungodly time in my opinion however with the clocks going back I could mentally manage it as it was really 7am and I can live with that for a special occasion! (I'm just not a morning person). I grab a cup of coffee and a slice of toast and start getting myself ready. I'm not really nervous at this stage, I think the nerves had worked themselves through over the course of the week so it was all down now to executing as best a run as I could. I'd no major niggles or worries going in and it was nice to get on the bike and cycle into town to get a little bit of a warm up. I realised however once I got there that I was basically mad early. I got to lock the bike beside the bag drop and after bumping into a friend almost immediately we dropped off my bag and had a bit of a chat and then I moved in the direction of the wave one area. It was only 8.05.... I decided to pop over to the spar shop as I forgot my water bottle and when took a quick trip to the loo and then sure I was just hanging around. The atmosphere was very buzzy and enjoyable but, for me, I prefer to just get going. Met another club mate and had another bit of a chat and filled in some time and then sure I decided to go to the loo again as I'd been waiting around so long. By the time I'd queued again and got in the buzzer was about to go so I had to race out and join in. I'd intended to be at the back of the wave so no issue but it was a little frantic considering how long I'd been there.

And off we go, I've loads of space at the back of the wave and I've no trouble navigating the street furniture or managing my effort for the first 3 miles at all. My parents and kids were at the top of Aughrim street before we turn onto the NCR. I was so happy they got to see me and i was able to stop and give them a hug and they were just delighted at seeing me run and even though it was early in the race it was a real boost.

Off through the park and I've managed the effort well, I caught myself a couple of times pulling back and I was keeping my effort steady which was the plan. Castleknock was the first place that the crowd really struck me and the cheers and roars here were fantastic. Downhill now and back into the park and I feel I'm coasting nicely and back into some familiar territory in the park. All the time I've been making sure to run the tangents and make the full use of the road. Around to Chapelizod and it's going alright but the field is quite spread out. Up Laurence's hill and I see some club mates for a cheer and then it all about keeping it steady. This next section is a bit hazy but I'm conscious of the Crumlin road come up and try to find a group of people to work with. I do find a couple of lads and try to use them for the wind. At the children's hospital I find myself at the front of a small group but we're travelling a bit slower than I want to so I decide to push and get onto the back of the next group ahead. Not sure if this was the best decision as the group almost immediately disintegrates and by the time of the Walkenstown round about I'm kind of on my own and trying to find runners to pace with. Cross the HM in 1:42 which was about the right place to be but I'm on my own and people around me have tended to be going a little slower than I felt I should be at for a neg split.

It's around here at km 28 that I probably make the main mistake in the race. From the HM mark to here was a bit slow and I was off the pace so I decide to push on a bit and up the pace. It's too soon.

I try and find some runners to go with or at least work with the style of running I've done in shorter races which is little spurts to the next runner, catch a breath and go again. This works in shorter races with a more compact field but I think here that the numbers were just a bit thin for that tactic.

At 30K I'm not in a bad place but my HR has risen from my target by a few beats and while the legs are find I'm just a bit uncomfortable. I see my boss on the Clonskeagh road and pull myself together a bit in a fit of bravado, probably does me a bit of good. Coming up through Clonskeagh and onto hearbreak hill and while the time isn't bad my HR has tipped into the very early 170's. I should have kept it into the mid 160's at this stage and I know in my heart of hearts that I pushed a bit too early but I'm still motoring and passing people and it's manageable, I think.. In my head I've the FD 10 mile which I held a 172 HR for most of the race so I think I can still do this.

The support on heartbreak hill was just amazing, mind you I had my head down and was just managing the effort, keeping going and trying to stay out of trouble but I could certainly feel it, but my head was hot at this point so I know it's time to just try and get home.

Up fosters avenue and besides diddering over whether to grab a lucozade, decided against it, and then we crest the hill and onto the N11 and mistake number 2. I'm still trying for the negative split and think I should be able to get myself home in good time, it's only 5K. So I try and up the pace as we get to the downhill and run into home but again I've shot it a bit too early. I'm going at 4.3X pace here and while it all feels hard it feels like it's going to be tough anyway so why not if the legs are ok...

From over the flyover and onto Nutley avenue is tough going and while there have been doubts before I'm really starting to feel it now. I get to the end of nutley and I just have to walk. It's 39K and that is when I hit the wall. The body just says no more. I think I just had to walk at that point but I've got a plan, it's 30 seconds walk break and then go again. I have to do it 3 times! I'd been warned and looking back it easy to see the mistakes but it's a learning process. The legs are actually fine, considering and it's all relative but I've just run out of juice.

The last 3k is a tough old slog. When I get back running I'm not crawling along, I can get going just not for long. Someone shouts at me to take small steps, I remember this from before and I start to use my arms as much as possible to keep the legs going. I see familiar backs going by me for the last 3k, yes it's not a great feeling but it's also not the end of my world, right now getting across the line is the only thing I need to do. At 41K I'm now acutely aware that my toenail has ripped off and it's actually quite painful.

My last walk break is just before the canal, at this point only my pride will keep me running i.e. not looking like I'm completely wrecked in front a large screaming crowd. The crowd does an amazing job and I run across the line with a watery effort at a hand in the air to celebrate.

I don't collapse but I'm feeling really dizzy. I don't need help but feel if I sit down I won't get up again and if I keep standing I might faint so I kinda wander around zombie like but with a really sore foot. I grab the bag and there are a few chats and I find a bit of a ledge to sit on and I'm starting to come around. A kind stranger gives me a couple of plasters as I just have to deal with the toe which is a bit of a bloody mess. The clean clothes are a kind relief and very welcomed and I'm glad I brought a towel to manage myself and not scare the other runners while trying to keep my modesty and change and not cramp at the same time.

I see all the messages that have come in while I'm on the run from friends and family and it's a real high, probably the nicest bit of support seeing so many people tracking and celebrating for you. There are a coupe of photo's of me from people supporting in the last 5K that I never noticed at all as I was just focused on getting home, I looked bolloxed.

After calls home it's on for a few well deserved pints and meeting up the mentors and some fellow boardies, @Lazare @py @Kellygirl @68 lost souls and other handles I can't remember it was nice to meet you all and of course @Laineyfrecks @Murph_D and @Lambay island it was great to have your support through the process and celebrate at the end!

Post race thoughts:

For a debut and I'm very happy with the result. I didn't hit my A goal but got the B goal and I'm very happy in myself with that. It was far from the perfect race, people have been saying it was tough on the day, I'm not sure about that but I probably made the last 3k tough on myself. I can see the mistakes and will learn from that. I lost about 1.40 on the walk breaks and probably if I'd hung back on those 2 efforts/mistakes I would have had a better closing but the time would probably have been much the same just a better finish.

I think my fitness was up to 39K and not the full distance, that's down to my experience level and where I'm at right now but that can be worked on with more consistent training. My race tactics were a bit off, I was probably a bit too far back from the pacers and got myself stranded and didn't have a group to work with which I think really would have helped, but I could have taken it easier and stuck with some people who were holding back better than I was cause they passed me at the end. I focused on the negative split too much and had it too aggressive for the second half considering where I was at, in fact I should have had the target at 3.25 but there you go, I not going to beat myself up by being too ambitious.

This has been 3 years in the making since I got a lotto ticket in December 2019. When I signed up then I had a goal of 3.45 and would have been very happy with that at that time, I probably wouldn't have got it TBH, sub 4 was probably realistic. The world has changed a lot since then and so have I as a runner. I put a year into this, going from running twice a week to getting myself up to 4 times a week before going onto the plan and this is the first time I've ever followed a plan. I've had a load of pb's along the way at 5K, 10K (in a HM) HM twice and a first race at 10 mile so as a journey it's been really encouraging and enjoyable.

After a 2 hour soak in the bath this morning I'll take the kids trick or treating, tomorrow I'm going for a bit of a jog and then.. What's Next?

Great stuff P, lovely to meet you afterwards.

Congrats on a fantastic debut. Sure you feel like you maybe should have done things differently but I wouldn't go beating yourself up over what at the end of the day is a really cracking marathon.

Echoing the above comments, @MisterJinx - it really is a learning process and it's a great debut even if a few things were not perfect. You eked out a great time considering the difficulty. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭patob

Great read and insight misterjinx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Congrats everyone, I have been a lurker here for a while and enjoyed reading the posts. It was my first and I went 25 minutes over target time but I didnt care, I just wanted to finish and it was a great experience. The support was amazing, fair play to them all. I will probably sign up for next year tomorrow!

Interesting that only 15,000 ran it out of 25,000 entries! Is that normal enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Ah no, don't get me wrong, I'm not beating myself up at all. It was a great result and I'm happy and proud of it. However its worth the analysis and at least pinpointing the mistakes I can see so I remember them and don't repeat them 😀

Advertisement