Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Toyota MR2 had to be renamed in France due to sounding like another French word- “MR deux”

No it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No it didn't.

It was according to Wikipedia, which references Burton, Nigel (2015). Toyota MR2: The Complete Story. Ramsbury, Marlborough: Crowood. ISBN 9781847979322.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

parmyJAHno
    Not parmyZZHAHno.
    Parmy like barmy.
    I heard a SuperValu ad for brewSHETTah.

People on the radio who say Uz when they mean Us. The letter is S ess , like confess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I've been saying Iz wrong all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Kewreeuss wrote: »

People on the radio who say Uz when they mean Us. The letter is S ess , like confess!!

And its Auld Lang Syne, not Zyne as we hear belted out every New Year's Eve.
    That's a pretty worldwide mistake though, even heard frequently in Scotland

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I've been saying Iz wrong all along.

You forgot was too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Gateaux
    Bolleaux

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Because there is no 'th' sound in Irish didn't help. Even if the majority don't speak Irish anymore, there are a lot of elements from the language that have been handed down.

When Rachael Blackmore won the Grand National this year, while still on the horse she said something like "I can't believe I'm after winning!". She was misquoted in parts of the English media because they didn't understand her phraseology. I know that's not to do with pronunciation but it shows the influence that Irish had on the way we speak here.

There are loads of examples of this.

"Give out" to mean scold or complain.

"Does be" to suggest a habitual action.

They're generally not understood by foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Toyota MR2 had to be renamed in France due to sounding like another French word- “MR deux”

There's a common claim that the Chevrolet Nova was renamed in Mexico because it sounded like "no va"- doesn't go.

However, it's utter nonsense. The Nova was sold in Mexico (And Venezuela) under its original name.

There are loads of examples of this.

"Give out" to mean scold or complain.

"Does be" to suggest a habitual action.

They're generally not understood by foreigners.

This is from an American song:

Oh, and she never gives out and she never gives in
    She just changes her mind…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This is from an American song:

Oh, and she never gives out and she never gives in
    She just changes her mind…

To give out, to break down, to fail, to become exhausted. Then in Hiberno English, to give out means to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Apparently the country Chile is no longer pronounced "chilly", at least in the Irish meedjah. It's pronounced Chee-lay these days - as in how the Spanish actually pronounce it. It'll never catch on with the rest of us of course.

It rhymes with Kylie. The sound is copied from the word Child.

"Enny-one for tennis?" or "Anny-one for tennis?". I think the proper pronounciation is the first one, and the second should be banned. I guess I'm a bit of a snob.

ne1410is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

This is one that grinds my gears...issue

It's ish-oo, not iss-ee-you

RTÉ do it all the time

Kilometre too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Mine is Cork. It's not Coh-erk. Crunch, crunch.

There's only one thing worse in this world than a snob - and that's a wanna-be snob.

Except, I wonder. Every country has its own brand of anti-intellectualism, but I think it's pretty dreadful in Ireland. Are these meedja micro-snobbisms a form of anti-anti-intellectualism? Although they are annoying, are they - intentionally or otherwise - nudges? Well-intentioned but annoying nudges to raise the intellectual bar? I highly doubt it's a nanny-state conspiracy - more a middle-class aspirational meedja trend that sprouted in colleges and college-speak affectations.

Tissue and kilometre (spelled/spelt kilometer in US English) have more than one standard pronunciation. As have thousands of other words. This is where widespread usage of different pronunciations are recognised by dictionaries, and pronunciation guides. Scone is probably the best known example. It is pointless for people to lay down the law and say their preferred version is the only correct version. Pronunciatons, definitions and spellings can evolve, sometimes with American versions gaining prominence in the UK and Ireland. Which is ironic when it provokes complaints, since it is often the version that went over to America hundreds of years ago coming back.

I notice a preference for American spellings coming into Boards. Just search for the words "favor" and "neighbor". Perhaps a result of devices "correcting" what people type. If this becomes prevalent enough it will be recognised as part of both US and British English. Railway station in British English usage has declined in the last 60 years, being largely replaced with Train station which gained prominence in America first. And of course if you search for "alot" on Boards or the internet, there are thousands of examples of this new word, which seems to be a product of the internet age. It can't be long before it joins "altogether" and "although" in dictionaries.

The one which I notice a lot is Crow Park. I know that it is due to natural speech, but I often thought the purists would give out more about it. They are not slow to jump on someone on the radio who says Westminister.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The one which I notice a lot is Crow Park. I know that it is due to natural speech, but I often thought the purists would give out more about it. They are not slow to jump on someone on the radio who says Westminister.

Do you mean instead of 'Croke Park'? I can't say I've noticed that (and I'm sure I will now that you've mentioned it) but when I do, I'll probably turn into one of those purists. 😉

• Advertisement

Another one the purists complain about is "twenny". But could they count from twenty to twentynine out loud quickly, without making themselves stand out as being odd for pronouncing every T?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why do those assholes in RTE keep referring to ‘Quarter’ as ‘Qwawtur’

Tbe Financial reporter one is the biggest offender.

Also why does Donal Lenihan keep saying “He left him in” when it should be “He let him in” when describing rugby matches?

Boils my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Another very common Irish phraseology, usually in media interviews, is "I would have", as in "I would have gone to Dingle on holidays a lot when I was a child". "I went" would be more grammatically accurate.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or even better, "I used to". Still, Hiberno-English is Hiberno-English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

We also have "went" used incorrectly as in "He should have went" instead of " he should have gone". I hear football pundits saying it a lot, " he should have went for the far corner".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

John Kilraine is still the definitive of it, in London now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Or “Quark”(for Cork)…grinds my gears🤯🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Grammatically they are both fine. The issue here is meaning, not grammar.

Most languages, including Irish, make a distinction between a past instant tense and a past continuous or habitual tense. English does not; it just has one past tense. In English "I went to Dingle" could mean that you went on one occasion or that you went regularly over a period of time; in Irish it's not possible to make this ambiguous statement, because you have to pick one or other of the past tenses.

This affects Hiberno-English, which militates strongly against not clarifying this ambiguity. Thus a speaker of Hiberno-English will nearly always add words to this sentence to clarify what is meant. But, because standard British English doesn't require any words to be added, there are no rules or customs about what words a speaker of standard British English would add here, so there are variety of equally acceptable formulations you can use here:

"I went to Dingle once" - single occasion, and it was some time ago.

"I went to Dingle lately" - single occasion, and it was recent.

"I used to go to Dingle . . . " - went on more than one occasion, but implication that I no longer go.

"I would have gone to Dingle . . . ." or "I would go to Dingle whenever . . ." - went on more than one occasion, and I am about to tell you something about how frequent those occasions were, or what kind of occasions they were.

"I have been going to Dingle . . ." - went on more than one occasion, and still go.

"I had been going to Dingle . . ." - went on more than one occasion, but these occasions were prior to an event which is itself in the past (and which I am about to mention).

Etc, etc. Grammatically they are all fine. Which one is appropriate to use depends on exactly what you're trying to say. But not using one of them, not resolving the ambiguity in the bare "I went to Dingle", while also grammatical, sounds unnatural, stilted, not idiomatic to a speaker of Hiberno-English.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ronnie Whelan, I hear you

If you want to run through the full gamut of mistakes such as that…….. VM co-comms are the folk you want.

All there……before half time!!

Advertisement