Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seeing reports that the Protocol Bill will be scrapped and possibly the Legacy one as well. To be a fly on the wall in DUP HQ would be a great way to spend the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hate to say it but she's not wrong. But it does call into question where Northern Ireland goes from here; more than it already was the Province has been left in total political, economic limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭brickster69

Currently existing legislation that has commenced is allowed to continue as planned. No new legislation is allowed to be presented though. If BJ resigns as PM then current legislation falls.

Seen as he will still be PM and the bill has been passed it will continue this week.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Margin of Error?

The dangers of over the top hagiography after a death is that the idea goes abroad that a person was never wrong or made the wrong choce. Same thing happened with Hume, and McGuinness (within nationalism) Irvine, Mallon etc.

Trimble certainly does demand respect for the GFA work but how grateful do we need to be that he climbed down from decades of Unionist supremacy and his own previous behaviours (Drumcree etc) and accepted the inevitable? He was dragged kicking and screaming to accept equality and parity of esteem if truth be known.

TUV and the Newsletter not afraid to exploit it.

Yet another attempt to piggyback on uncritical hagiography in order to score a politcal goal. The simple fact that Trimble was often wrong, (like he was on Brexit, the Protocol and the PoC) as well as doing the right thing aometimes, just like Hume and Adams etc etc will be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The cheek of you putting Ervine in with Mallon and Trimble... They couldn't lace his boots. 😃

• Advertisement

I'm sure there's going to be rousing condemnation of the DUP for not engaging at Stormont again today because of the NIP.

Undemocratic Unionists at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

They are not engaging at Stormont because they cannot stand Michelle O Neill or any nationalist becoming First Minister.

All the NIP shite talk is exactly that

No no no. You're incorrect. I've been assured that Unionists don't engage in sectarianism and the DUP have a legitimate concern with the NIP protocol. Yes. That's it.

Even so, I'm sure their refusal to go back to Stormont for any reason, whether or not wanting to play second fiddle to MON, when the FM and dFM offices are equal or if it's the NIP; I'm assured their undemocratic refusal to go back to Stormont will be criticised by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hardly. They've made him Secretary of State for "Business and Energy"

Which means they have given responsibility for addressing climate change, the most 21st Century of all problems, to "the Honourable Member for the 17th Century".

You know, THEY used to make jokes about US being stupid. 😗

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Absolutely delighted the builders of HMS Brexitanic get the opportunity to smash it into the EU iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

In the news again tonight, no uk pm so no decision could be made by end of the month, so unless DUP change their position, there will be another election called then.

Will be very interesting to see how the current economic frailties the UK are experiencing will affect the share of the votes, expect to see the DUP lose some seats but maybe they’ll just transfer to other unionist parties.

The way things have gone, and the fact people are calling for Johnson to return like an exiled king, I'd not blink of the DUP gained seats. Up is down in the UK at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

DUP will be largest party and have FM position after next election. As others have said only reason they no in government now is Michelle would be FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

What makes you think the DUP would gain seats from May election? If anything I would imagine they would lose more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The DUP looked to be lucky last time — on 21% of the first preference vote they won 28% of the seats. By comparison, SF were about line ball - 29% of the vote, 30% of the seats.

The reason the DUP did well was because of the TUV vote - 8% of the vote, but just one seat. A fair proportion of the votes of eliminated TUV candidates transferred to the DUP. If we aggregate the DUP and TUV vote, it's 29%, more or less. And if we aggregate their seats, its 31%.

This time round, the most recent opinion poll (LucidTalk, in August) gave the DUP 24%, and the TUV 6%. If there's the same solid transfer pattern that aggregates to 30% of the vote, which suggests a similar number of seats between the two parties. The same poll puts SF on 30%, which is not materially different to what they got at the last election. So, again, you'd expect a very similar number of seats.

So, as of where we are right now, there is no reason to think that a December election will produce a very different result for the DUP and SF from the May election. The numbers are close and we must bear in mind margins of error, etc, etc, so the DUP could end up with more seats than they have now, and more seats than SF. On the other hand, the opposite outcome is equally possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

In my opinion, the DUP are using the NI Protocol as an excuse to block Sinn Féin from having the First Minister.

If they can't achieve becoming the largest party they will continue to refuse to allow an assembly be formed.

The interesting thing will be if they manage to form the largest party and could elect the First Minister, how will they spin it that the NI Protocol was only an excuse the last time.

I hope the DUP voters from the last election move their vote over to another Unionist party that would be willing to form the assembly or better yet to the Alliance Party.

The irony is lost on them that the NI Protocol gives them the best of both worlds of direct access to the EU market and the UK market, and by fighting against it they are actually endangering their own prosperity, and that prosperity would be the biggest reason for NI voters to wish to remain a part of the UK.

If the NI Protocol were removed and the UK were subjected to stricter impositions from the EU, NI would suffer the most, and would push the voters towards a United Ireland.

Anything being lost on the DUP is nothing new

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Because their supposed collapse over Brexit etc didn't occur in last. What they HV right now is their base numbers only way is up.

Not really. It is possible to alienate your own base.

The Tories are busily alienating their own base, after all. And the DUP still seem to be bewitched with the Tories. Given their unerring instinct for making the wrong strategic choice at every possible opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised to see the DUP destroy themselves.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I can see the EU folding on this fairly fast. UK has Helped out on a war. They could have put boots on the ground but did not to escalate. Single market to me will come with caveats. Uk will return to the market regardless. Germany has now burnt so many bridges in relation to the war. it's a case of put up or shut up.

Sorry, I'm not following. UK will return to the Single Market and this will be a case of the EU folding? Some mistake, surely?

And I'm also not understanding the intersection between this and the Ukraine war. Can you explain it to me like I'm five years old?

What on earth has Ukraine got to do with brexit and the NI Protocol?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nothing. It's the usual Brexiter deflection tactic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I would imagine the age demographic of DUP is older than the rest of the parties in the north with maybe the exception of the TUV. Perhaps somebody knows a link to those stats. They seem to represent the most staunch of voters with the no surrender motto which tend to be older. The long term trend for this party is down not up. Perhaps when they do major f**k ups like creating a border between Ireland and Britain they might over shout this downward curve and bounce back a little in the next election but the long term trend is down. Remember this party is against gay marriage and abortion. I cant imagine it appealing to new younger votes.

Also would some unionists not be scared of the prospect of joint rule from London and Dublin should a Stormont government not be formed. With SF likely to be in government in the south and the Conservatives who dont even bother to run in the north in london I would not be pleased with this outcome. I would shift to a unionist who would set up a government.

SF running the north from Dublin whilst still having the NIP would be one absolute super f**k up creation of the DUP. But they have no foresight as they only can look backwards and live in the past so no suprises when they steer the north into that situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Yes,because the uk were the only ones to help out,jist like they won ww2 single handedly

Advertisement