Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DF Commission Report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Has it been confirmed that the Aer Corp would operate the new system, or would it be the army? Also are the systems static or mobile, or a mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭sparky42

So far we have a Journal article and that’s it, asking about details is pointless right now.

Exactly, we are a long way from even an RFI I would guess let alone moving ahead with something. I mean even dropping in the TPY4 seems off to me, that’s a system just coming into service in the US, are we really suggesting we’d buy something so current or was it just a bit of Google fu?

Given what we've seen in other committee appearances I'm not going to hold my breath tbh. I'm sure we would all like to be pleasantly surprised that there was some sort of a plan to be announced but..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Dont forget a committe member will also ask for a transfer for a solider back to munster from dublin because he missed to much hurling trainning this year and the club are going to have a good stab at the Junior B next year so they need him

So did anything happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm watching it live.

Coveney is impressive in his detail and his delivery. Theres little point in me trying to cover everything he's gone through as it can be watched back or the transcript reviewed, but he has highlighted the rapid work on priority implementation structures and the grabbing of low hanging fruit, which has got the Post-Commission era off to a good start, inter-alia:

• The Attorney General's advice on legislative framing for the CHoD appt and Defence HQ/Command along with component restructuring will be received before end October.
    • The 'marking time' and partial Military Service Allowance for Yrs1-3 are being abolished immediately, resulting in average €6k improvement for 3 Star and Able Seaman ranks by year end.
    • Joint Civil-Military committees are up and running to address priority items among both hard and soft items, including Org Transformation, Air and Coastal Defence, Reserve Affairs (Revitalisation), Training capacity (1,200 per year through 1 and 2 Star level training to get ahead of losses and increase numbers) Gormanston to become mass enlisted training centre under DFTC development
    • Civilian heads of Transformation and HR reporting direct to General Staff are in recruitment process already
    • NS and Air Corps WILL become Navy and Air Force
    • Funding commitment is 1.5 billion by 2028 at Jan 2022 prices, in other words *already* at 1.6+ billion.
    • Review of DoD activity within Defence Sector to be published immediately and implemented.
    • SC wants DF security of non Defence sites withdrawn as soon as practicable, ie Midlands HS Prison, Central Bank, Irish Explosives - should be civil power provided.
    • And lots more....

I have a feeling Enfield could be an issue. The guards would not have the man power to cover it with the route they are taking by removing Armed detecivies long term to be replaced by ASU. So we could see further poaching of the army by AGS for additional ASU units that would take up the gap left by the defence forces armed support

• Advertisement

There are no Piper aircraft. There never were any Piper aircraft. Whatever media outlet mentioned Piper aircraft were talking through their hat.

The Paper of Record wrote about Piper Aircraft Twice since last week. Its a wierd one where they got that idea

No, I imagine it will be a far more transitional arrangement than that.

DoD will discuss with DoJ the long term security of these facilities. The Government will agree that the Army presence at these sites is a Troubles era legacy and it is far more appropriate that they should be secured by the civil powers.

AGS and the Prison Service will then work with DoJ to agree a security plan for each and ask DPER for the resources to dedicate newly sourced and trained armed Officers to ultimately replace the Army presence and return those personnel to core duties.

It would take some time, but I've no doubt an improvement in technological security solutions at each site would help that transition.

Apperently Gormanstown to be upgraded to a Full training base for new recruits

Someone better tell the Ukrainian folks out there … seriously would they not be better spending the money on the Curragh rather than spreading the jam thinly across facilities. Cynically I suppose an upgraded Gormanston would make it easier to close one of the Dublin barracks …

Or turn it into National Army HQ......

Incidentally, Coveney also confirmed that two Naval stations, on the east and west coast, will be expedited.

Himself who wanted to develop it into a Port is going to be pissed...

Given the IPV's arriving next year that is kind of necessary for the East Coast at least. West Coast still not really convinced, wonder where it will be?

For the West coast Killybegs would be probaly the only one fit to go with Full access. I dont think there is any other port really good enoght. Galway is controlled and Sligo i think is tidal as well

Sure the fishing community will love having the Navy as neighbours...

• Advertisement

I understand thay Army HQ will be more than likely in Athlone as there is very Strong poltical will behind it. But weather our Generals will want to cross the shannon is another story

From whom?

There are literally zero heavy hitters in Longford-Westmeath to swing that kind of investment, especially as you say if there is Brass resistance.

Assuming Navy HQ remains sensibly in Cork, the Army HQ will almost surely be in Dublin. Besides, being Army HQ could be a small business park it doesn't need to be an actual operational base. In fact, its probably better if it isn't.

For example, British Army Headquarters is a low rise campus in Hampshire between an industrial estate and a railway line. Its got one helipad.

Time will tell but it was the commision that said the Army HQ be Geograpgically centrally located. It would be an easy win for the government as they can tick the box saying they have gone along with another recomendation

Being geographically central in Ireland is meaningless.

All the transport links are Dublin centric, ie you can get to Donegal and South Kerry still quicker from Dublin, by road or rail, than from Athlone. And wherever it ends up being located, you'd expect its digital communications capacity to be state of the art regardless.

There is also no military justification for it being located centrally, save for the risk of a seaborne invasion!

Its a strange rec by the Commission and one I don't think should hold any sway.

I'd understand much more if they said, lets look at a few reasonable sized towns and give the investment of locating Army HQ to the most deprived, to get a bit of cash rolling around local businesses. Somewhere like a Longford, Navan or Claremorris. Because really, for its intended function, it could be anywhere, but probably should remain near Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Athlone has been touted as DFHQ for a long long time, cant see it happening. Maybe elements could be moved like with Newbridge back in 2013, however, administration has been less efficient as a result.

The NS have Dun Laoghaire in their sights.

Gormanston is a perfect place to train recruits. The DOD wouldn't spend money on it as there were too many unanswered questions over its future, for the last 20 years.

Had a look at the committee hearing. Coveney was impressive as others have commented and seems personally invested in delivering this. Certainly the committee members didn’t engage in play acting and seemed supportive of the direction of travel. The sign off by Dper on pay elements is important, as with the changes in ministers in about 2 months will see things grind to a halt. There is a huge amount in the report and to be fair there is a lot of unglamorous structures, operational, tendering and design work to be done to ensure that what is being worked on is sustainable. I still think the recruitment / retention piece will be a struggle, but I hope to be proven wrong. Big investment in Haulbowline, (70 M) but is much of that cleaning up the rest of the old steel works? Coveney seemed committed to more missions abroad- I would like to have heard more on that - AC / NS ? Another piece is engaging with EU defence initiatives- but maybe it was out of scope on the session. Anyways my initial impressions.

Was there recently a Naval Service presentaion which showed Hangers amd helipads at the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrandyRebel

Foks before Cavan barracks was shut down, they invested heavily in a brand new barracks at enterance to tje town, that was sold for peanuts to the ETB, close to Midlands and border and would not take much investment, never understood its withdrawal in tbe first place but the building and security fence is there already

The Rangers SOF are to have a detachment in Haulbowline so I suppose helis and an accommodation block etc will form part of that?

• Advertisement

Advertisement