Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DF Commission Report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭roadmaster

For the control center could they retrofit a building or would it be a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Bal is due to get a new tower anyway, may as well put it within that structure. Most IAA ATC for the Atlantic approaches are located in an anonymous building surrounded by large antennae in rural County Clare near Dromoland Castle. Could put it there too, but that might mean the Air Corps having to live somewhere other than Leinster. It can be anywhere, once it has a reliable link to the radar heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Where ever it goes....they'd be well advised to put a hefty AA missile battery so the damned thing doesn't get taken out by Jonny Russian.

Jonny god bless ya your always good for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Many a true word was spoken in jest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

As every, the Journals comment section on anything related to defence… God almighty, makes some posters here seem close to rational.

When Mt Gabriel was built, it was taken out by the INLA. We have their proxies on this island still. A direct attack would be an international incident of much greater consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mupper2

That site near Dromoland you mention might need to be moved soonish,

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭tippilot

That site near Dromoland(called Ballygirreen)is a radio station home to the Irish end of the Shanwick North Atlantic traffic management system, handling air traffic along movable routes over the horizon beyond the reach of radar based on position reporting and assignment of altitude, speed and time restrictions at various standard points.

There is no routine radar based Air Traffic control there, that happens at a rather industrial looking building on the outskirts of Shannon Town.

It does however house a fully equipped back up ATC station in the event the Shannon Town location becomes unusable, so radar feeds do exist there that could be integrated into a military recognised national air picture. As far as potential locations go, it ticks a lot of boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Has it been confirmed that the Aer Corp would operate the new system, or would it be the army? Also are the systems static or mobile, or a mix?

Army have no business managing or operating such equipment.

So far we have a Journal article and that’s it, asking about details is pointless right now.

And even the level of detail in the Journal article is sketchy and questionable, at best.

While I have faith in the author, I'm not so sure about his sources.

Exactly, we are a long way from even an RFI I would guess let alone moving ahead with something. I mean even dropping in the TPY4 seems off to me, that’s a system just coming into service in the US, are we really suggesting we’d buy something so current or was it just a bit of Google fu?

Given what we've seen in other committee appearances I'm not going to hold my breath tbh. I'm sure we would all like to be pleasantly surprised that there was some sort of a plan to be announced but..

Heres my prediction.

Minister arrives late, held up at other unknown urgent cabinet business meeting/PQs. Ctte in private session while we all wait.

Brings cranky A/Sec from dod to answer the difficult questions. Congratulates committee member on the birth of their latest child/grandchild/kitten/puppy. Notes absence of Senator Craughwell. High fives to civil servant. Notices Cathal Berry hiding behind committee chair with lots of pages marked "Questions for Simon only". Gulps audibly.

Reads prepared script. Long winded. Repeats information already in public domain. Panics as Cathal Berry begins to eat final pages from Simon's prepared answers from a mess tin with a spork.

Gets into a row with others Because they didn't go to Clongowes.

Gets into discussion with up to then unknown senator about why Some 90 year old never got his good conduct medal after he left the army in 1979.

Gets into pointless discussion with SF TD about what the govt are doing for the DF as per CODF, even though all of this is already on public record. Decides to derail the question my mentioning the Special Criminal court, and the former SF councillor turned state witness...

mentions this will be probably his last time before CTTE as minister, leading to cheers from the public gallery.

Runs out of time.

Dont forget a committe member will also ask for a transfer for a solider back to munster from dublin because he missed to much hurling trainning this year and the club are going to have a good stab at the Junior B next year so they need him

So did anything happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm watching it live.

Coveney is impressive in his detail and his delivery. Theres little point in me trying to cover everything he's gone through as it can be watched back or the transcript reviewed, but he has highlighted the rapid work on priority implementation structures and the grabbing of low hanging fruit, which has got the Post-Commission era off to a good start, inter-alia:

• The Attorney General's advice on legislative framing for the CHoD appt and Defence HQ/Command along with component restructuring will be received before end October.
    • The 'marking time' and partial Military Service Allowance for Yrs1-3 are being abolished immediately, resulting in average €6k improvement for 3 Star and Able Seaman ranks by year end.
    • Joint Civil-Military committees are up and running to address priority items among both hard and soft items, including Org Transformation, Air and Coastal Defence, Reserve Affairs (Revitalisation), Training capacity (1,200 per year through 1 and 2 Star level training to get ahead of losses and increase numbers) Gormanston to become mass enlisted training centre under DFTC development
    • Civilian heads of Transformation and HR reporting direct to General Staff are in recruitment process already
    • NS and Air Corps WILL become Navy and Air Force
    • Funding commitment is 1.5 billion by 2028 at Jan 2022 prices, in other words *already* at 1.6+ billion.
    • Review of DoD activity within Defence Sector to be published immediately and implemented.
    • SC wants DF security of non Defence sites withdrawn as soon as practicable, ie Midlands HS Prison, Central Bank, Irish Explosives - should be civil power provided.
    • And lots more....

I have a feeling Enfield could be an issue. The guards would not have the man power to cover it with the route they are taking by removing Armed detecivies long term to be replaced by ASU. So we could see further poaching of the army by AGS for additional ASU units that would take up the gap left by the defence forces armed support

There are no Piper aircraft. There never were any Piper aircraft. Whatever media outlet mentioned Piper aircraft were talking through their hat.

The Paper of Record wrote about Piper Aircraft Twice since last week. Its a wierd one where they got that idea

No, I imagine it will be a far more transitional arrangement than that.

DoD will discuss with DoJ the long term security of these facilities. The Government will agree that the Army presence at these sites is a Troubles era legacy and it is far more appropriate that they should be secured by the civil powers.

AGS and the Prison Service will then work with DoJ to agree a security plan for each and ask DPER for the resources to dedicate newly sourced and trained armed Officers to ultimately replace the Army presence and return those personnel to core duties.

It would take some time, but I've no doubt an improvement in technological security solutions at each site would help that transition.

Apperently Gormanstown to be upgraded to a Full training base for new recruits

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Someone better tell the Ukrainian folks out there … seriously would they not be better spending the money on the Curragh rather than spreading the jam thinly across facilities. Cynically I suppose an upgraded Gormanston would make it easier to close one of the Dublin barracks …

Or turn it into National Army HQ......

Incidentally, Coveney also confirmed that two Naval stations, on the east and west coast, will be expedited.

• Advertisement

Himself who wanted to develop it into a Port is going to be pissed...

Advertisement