Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2022

• 21-06-2022 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭

Damn it, no-one has started a Valencia '22 thread, ye lazy tossers. And yes, I basically mean the brothers from North Dublin. I'm in although it's a bit touch and go to be fair. Would have said no way a month ago but now I'm jogging ten kms and pain is a lot less. If I can make steady progress and get a few long runs in I'd like to give it a go. No notions of pace or anything. It's probably guaranteed to be the slowest I've ever done. And there's a fair chance I won't make start line. Frustrating as I'm bringing a bit of a crew for the first time this year. Four lads have signed up, going from a 1.16 Half bloke to a 1.24 lad. They're a right old mixture: Fred the Belgian ran a fine 1.16 Half in hilly Lux, should be able to take a minute or so off that on the flat. Sanders the Dutch lad did 2.49 in Paris with a five minute neg. split!! Giuseppe - you can guess where he's from - did a 3.00.09 or summat in his last marathon so he has an obvious target. Then there's 24 year old Quinn from the USofA. I'm hoping to design a training plan for him. Great potential but little structure up to this. Has a high 33mins for 10k and about 1.18 recent for Half but often fades so strength and endurance will need to be worked on. Anyone else in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Ah Jaysus, don't be tempting me. I think it is sold out? We got in last year on the standby list. It is not on the radar this year but never say never. Maybe we should do an Itziger and go support and provide words of wisdom in Tyris on Tap.

Great to see ya back in action. Hopefully you make the start line along with rest of your Motley Crew 🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’m in. Any recommendations for places to stay? Seems like Friday flight out and Sunday return for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, Trampas, I stay with the in-laws mostly. MacPhisto or Diablo Verde might have recommendations. It'll get expensive for that weekend, so I'd be looking now if I were you.

Stayed in this place the last time I was there. It was fantastic in terms of a central location. Everything was within a short walking distance so no need to be on the legs too much to go to a bar/tourism/restaurant. A couple of nice Italian restaurants close by. It is around 2.5k from the marathon start line so its very much walkable/slow run on the morn of race for an easy warm up. The only issue is that there are a few cafe bars in a square nearby so it was a little noisy, but that's hard to avoid in a Spanish city.

Previous times, I have stayed in the Picasso Apartments. Its further out from the Centro at around 30-32km of the marathon route near Turia metro station and for people into shoes, its near the famous or infamous 365rider shop ;) It's nice and quiet there. No noise. Its advantage is that it is near the start of the free buses to start line on morn of marathon. So no issue getting space on board. The disadvantage is that you will prob need to metro/taxis to the centre for tourism/bars/cafes/restaurants. Its a good distance away from the Expo too. Both places are close to supermarkets etc and have kitchens.

I think most places have free cancellations, so no harm in booking something early and then keeping an eye on other opportunities.

Both places had easy access to the dry river bed running park thing. A great facility and ideal for a shakeout run.

I’ll pass on staying with your in laws

I must book somewhere with free cancellation. I’m doing Dublin first. Got a free entry for this so I’ll be seeing how Dublin training goes first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ffs! I’ve entered Frankfurt (but can’t go as it clashes with a family holiday), entered Amsterdam and the missus is away that weekend so that’s touch and go, so I settled on San Seb this year!

Don’t think I’d survive if I entered Valencia too

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am in too. But I seriously need to wise up, haven't had a decent race since 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sanbenito

I'm in for this too, four of us going, myself, the auld fella, uncle and a friend. Looking forward to it now. This will be my first marathon, happy enough with how training is going, had a couple of nasty long runs but seem to be more or less on track. Valencia looks like a nice city, looking forward to the Paella and beers also!

Just to say, in case anyone picks up a niggle or two that counts them out of Dublin, for example, there are ferocious numbers of bibs being sold/swapped/transferred on the FaceBook Group of the Valencia Marathon. Seemingly there's an official way of doing the handover. MIGHT be of interest...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Are any of these optional extras worth springing for?

The BIMBO breakfast run looks enticing although it's possible it might not be what I think it is 😃

Did Dublin at the weekend and did nothing for my confidence. Wasn’t intending to do Dublin hard but it felt much harder and cramp coming and going. Back at it tomorrow to prepare for Valencia. Hopefully it’ll stand to me

Haha, think that Bimbo might be something else alright! In fact, there's a Godawful Spanish sliced pan brand of that name. Jeez, I hated that shite. I may have done the 3 euro to charity thing, otherwise not for me. Of course, if you're going for the old 2.59.59 you might be interested in the medal engraving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Rachel McGuinness could be a name to look out for, dual citizenship (Irish parents)

Four weeks out lads, how's the training going? This is a comeback marathon for me. Been injured for about 18 months and stopped running completely for a good few at the start of this year. Started back into it in June and have been building slowly but surely. From 5k up to 33.xx today. Progression has been slow but if you'd said to me in April that I'd be running over 30k in a training session, I'd a bitten your arm off. Did a Half about a month ago in 1.38. Also a fairly pleasant surprise. I'm kinda hoping for a 3.29 but no idea what'll happen on the day.

This year, for the first time I'll be heading down from Lux with a few running buddies. A young Yank who I'm 'coaching', who's aiming for a 2.38 or so. A Dutch fella - mad as a hatter - did about 320kms one week back in lockdown and has done a few 42.2k training runs in prep for Valencia. Mad, but good. Think he's hoping for 2.45 or so. Then there's an Italian bloke who just popped his sub 3 cherry in Frankfurt last week after a 3.00.09 about a year ago!

What I'm trying to say is Where t.f. are we going for drinks afterwards?!?!?! Usual spot the last 4 or 5 years has been Tyris on Tap. Don't see any reason to change, unless they go back to that disastrous closing time that they had one year of about 7 on Sunday evening. I think that was an exception!

You sound excited Itziger :D careful now 🤩

Yeah, man, I just have to aware of that and keep the pacing fairly conservative for the first half. So, what I'm thinking is maybe a few session Ales to start with or one or two of the house lagers before seeing if there's anything left in the second half and if there is I'll up it to the IPA or even the Amer Amargo towards the end. Still a couple of training outings before then of course ;)

Well, training has been good, consistent but at a much slower pace than when I did my PB in 2019 DCM (2:47). This is partly because I have been keeping an eye on my HR and tried to avoid crashing out of training due to exhaustion, injury and/or binge eating/drinking for a couple of days at a time. So there's been definite progress since the summer and no crashing out at all, but it has been relatively slow.

I am not in PB shape, and with 4 weeks to go, it looks unlikely I will be. I suppose I should be happy with a good run and take it as a stepping step towards the 2023 season. Still, I don't have much to show after running more than 2000 miles to date this year...

So I got a bit fed up yesterday and ran the last 4 miles of my 18 miles progression run at 15'' seconds per mile faster than planned. My heart rate shot up, but I felt good. Looking at my data, I see that I am pretty far from the 80/20 kind of breakdown of effort quoted in most books (more like 95/05 or 90/10). So basically, I have been running too slow in the last three months. That analysis agrees with my slow, steady progress.

So I may inject a bit more pace in my long runs and add an extra track session per week for the next 3 weeks and hope that the body will hold and that the stats will improve as I have a good base.

I still have hope for a PB by losing 2 Kg of fat over the next 3 weeks, increasing fitness by 5'' per mile, wearing carbon-plated shoes for the first time, and running Valencia's flat course. But there is no margin for error for the next 4 weeks, and execution on the day would have to be perfect. Weather (cool, grey with no wind, please) has to play its part too. I'll agree on targets with myself closer to the time, but I imagine my bronze medal will be a sub-3.

I rehearsed travelling for a marathon in Frankfurt last weekend. Even though I took that as training and did not taper, it allowed me to practice my fuelling for a couple of days leading up to the race.

About the trip itself, it will be my first time in Valencia, and I will be travelling with my wife and another couple (non-runners). My daughter is actually studying there for a year as part of Erasmus, so I'll be relying on her local knowledge.

I just checked, and Tyris on Tap is about 100m for our accommodation, so it's a definite possibility!

Any tips on how to run the course? I know it’s flat enough but be mindful of something or when you get this far it’s all flat or downhill from here?

It is a pretty flat course. The last 6-8km could be considered ever so slightly downhill and prevailing winds would normally give a gentle tail to cross wind. The last 3 km has great support and is fast if you have any gas left in the tank. My advice would be to keep it steady and restrained until you are through the old town at around 28km. It gets lonely and boring from 28-33k, so just concentrate here. Once you turn back towards town, then it is time to see what you have left to give.

The start is busy, lots of people and the early water stations can be crowded. So just settle into a comfortable target (or slightly slower)pace and don't get carried away. Great crowd atmosphere around the 16 km and 23-27km parts of course. Try not get carried away by the crowd energy here too. The early congestion will clear by around the 5km mark. Nice wide avenues to run on. Follow the race line :D

I would aim to run a slight negative split, but that is always my preference. It is a great race and a fast course. Very well organised. Whatever time you are budgeting for getting to start line, give yourself an extra 15 mins as some of the routes to the pens via bag drop-off can be longer than you would think.

• Advertisement

PRETTY flat?!? If it was flatter it would be underground! I always find that the toughest part is when you're running away from the finish line, approx 29 kms to 33 or whatever. As you say, it's quiet and there's that mental challenge. Some of the early water tables do get crowded, yeah.

Thanks. Good to know if a few things like that. I plan to start near the back of sub 3:15 wave. Someone doing water boy for us so hopefully won’t be to much need of water stations bar unless it’s clear.

Booked a place near colon so plan is walk and warm up to start.

The Mount Everest bridge around 25k is a killer, discuss.... 😋

Is it worthwhile trying to change starting pen for Valencia marathon?

I'm currently in the sub 3:46 box (3.31 - 3:45:59). I can't remember but assume that's because I submitted my previous marathon result of 3:48 approx when registering last year.

My training has been towards a 3:25 time. I wasn't particularly planning on using the pacers in any case and planned to take the first three miles about 10s per mile slower than PMP so I'd be going about 8min/mile for those.

I was going to submit my Cork City Half result of 1:38 but the results page for that is down currently (404 error) - https://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/race-results/

I suppose my concern would be getting blocked in by runners going slower than me at the start but the roads (at least in the start) of Valencia look very wide so probably not an issue?

Hey, Deepblue, I'm in a similar position but coming from the other side!! I think I'm in the 2.59 pen and that won't be happening! We could try to meet up and start together if you like. I'm kinda planning on 4.55 km pace or something like that. First few kms at 5 mins would suit me. There are fairly wide roads in the first 15k or so that would make moving up ok. There will be some pinch points and the first two water stations might be messy but we should be ok.

That would be great @Itziger. I would be more than happy to take you up on that. I'll send you a PM.

Some weather in Valencia yesterday

Another week closer and training is going in the right direction despite a wobble midweek.

I probably reached peak tiredness last week but did not crash out completely. Some of it was due to the training plan (heavy enough with a couple of hard consecutive days mid-week), some of it due to not fueling enough while trying to lose weight (rookie mistake, with some hope of success in the future, as always, if consistency is maintained), some of it was due to poor sleep several days in a row (working on it, new pillow ordered) and some of it due to myself (I 'signed' for a 'fun' run which of course I raced, right in between the 2 mid-week hard sessions...). All this made me unable to complete the VO2 max session on Wednesday (4 intervals instead of 6), and I could not run the 15m progression run on Thursday at the right pace as I was zonked.

Anyway, I made it through 76 miles and yesterday's run was an improvement on the previous Sunday, so the hard work appears to be paying off, if slowly. Even at this late stage, I think I am still learning about fuelling, dieting, gears and heart rate monitoring.

The coming week looks easier, apart from a 10k flat-out run that I'll have to do on my own because I can't find a 10k local enough around here. As the mileage will come down a bit to 70m (including a couple of extra track sessions (not on the plan) to up my heart rate), I am slowly upping the yoga, core, plyometrics and stretching work.

So the direction of travel is good. I have a lot of mileage in the legs, so my pace is far from impressive. I hope the training plan will deliver its magic on the day as it did a couple of times before.

@echancrure Is that a bespoke plan or one from one of the books that you are following? It seems pretty tough.

Seems to be 21 to 23 degrees Celsius at the moment. Hopefully that will be a down a bit in a few weeks 😦

• Advertisement

Following P&D up to 70 miles with added 10k in the middle last week (not wise).

Regarding the weather, I see there was flooding in the region, Valencia airport was closed for a while.

Advertisement