Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Census 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's no provision in the GFA for NI to ever exist independently so those who identify as Northern Irish only are out of luck before the competition even starts. The SoS would not really be able to use their sentiments to determine anything, either way.

This change is big, despite DownCow's attempts to play it down. Why is it big? Because those unionist Catholics are not loyal to the Crown. They are economic unionists mostly. The moment NI offers a lower standard of living to them, they will vote for a UI. That's the difference to years ago, where the Protestant majority guaranteed the union, no matter how things were in NI. The "mainland" parties have also all but given up on NI. If it comes to cutting back NHS spending in England or NI, NI will be left empty handed going forward. The UK economy is in for a very rough time as the effects of Brexit become ever more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Packrat

Possibly. There are options which allow NI to still exist with its own devolved gov as well as the simple UI option.

Federal is also a possibility but probably not acceptable down here as we've no real strong sense of provincial identity and it would disrupt our state system too much to be safe to use.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Agreements can be changed or amended if circumstances dictate.

Thirty years ago, the 26 counties didn’t have divorce, abortion or SSM and there was nothing in our Constitution which referred to it. However the wishes of the people were listened to and we have referendums(in some cases multiple ones).

The GFA is not set in stone, and if the people of Northern Ireland choose a different option, then it is their prerogative. It would probably involve an amendment first to the GFA underpinned by a vote but it is their decision.

If in 10 years, 30% of the population identify as Northern Irish rather than British or Irish, you can’t just ignore that because if doesn’t suit the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I understand the Unionist need today to handwave it all away as if it were nothing. But the writer of this piece sums it up well:

However, looking beneath the surface suggests some real problems for unionism.

There was an eight-point drop compared to 2011 in people with a British-only identity (32%), a four-point rise in Irish-only (29%) and Northern Irish-only fell by one point (20%).

For unionism, they are potentially catastrophic figures. If those trends continue, Irish identity will surpass British within a decade.

The shift suggests political unionism is failing in its attempts at stewardship of the Union.

Brexit, the flags protests, opposing abortion reform and blocking LGBT rights have all served to push many thousands of people away from identifying as British.

The challenge for unionism is to make Northern Ireland a place where everyone feels comfortable remaining as part of the UK, regardless of their identity.

Analysis: Census 2021 shows 'Protestant state for a Protestant people' is gone - Brendan Hughes - Belfast Live

Unionism seems to want to dig the divide even deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

If the UK economy is in for a very rough time and Ireland is doing so well according to some posters on various other threads,would`nt it be better and more likely to happen if Ireland paid for a UI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

if there is no funding, NI will not go for it but not so sure about us. We have a lot of idealistic dreamers when UI is mentioned.

We have a good track record of being sold a pup and later regret it…...cheapest bailout in history, inflation will erode the debt, Minister Woods deal with religious orders, PMPA. I just fear another one.

With a bit of luck I will be retired or dead by the time it happens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

NI exists as an entity within the U.K. as it is though. It is a much more cogent entity now than it would be in a United ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scotland is the wildcard in this situation and I have heard little about it in the various media assessments. Polls have support for independence in Scotland at circa 50/50 (latest one published today has support at 52%). As is the case in NI, unionist voters there are predominantly older, and there is much higher support for leaving the UK among younger age brackets.

If Scotland goes independent before the next census is out, that will have a significant impact on attitudes within NI, particularly if the English and Welsh respond to Scotland leaving by delving much deeper into their own respective English and Welsh identities.

An independent Scotland would ultimately aim to return to the EU, and, however long that takes, people in NI would one day be faced with the following dilemma in a border poll: vote for reunification and be alongside the ROI and Scotland as members inside the EU, or stay within a UK that would at that stage consist of an increasingly introspective England and Wales, and that won't be looking to rejoin the EU. How many within the 'NI identity' demographic are going to be convinced by the latter option?

This is why I don't believe those unionists saying they are not concerned. Brexit was a disaster for unionism and has fundamentally altered the debate. Scotland voting for independence within the next decade will be an even bigger catastrophe for unionism.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You say this over multiple threads.

The solution to partition isn't continued partition.

Why would we continue the pretence of a failed State in a UI? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Agree 100% with that piece - except for his ‘potential catastrophic’ comment. I guess you could say ‘potentially’ pigs might fly.

the fact of all the bumps in the road he has mentioned, and still we are secure, is important. Unionist do need to stop scoring own goals, and we will have an easy win.

here is a wee post I read tonight which domes up the ordinary folk of ni:

”Much is being made of the census and the supposed inevitability of so-called Irish unity resulting from the tilting of the balance of the Protestant/Roman Catholic cohorts in favour of Catholicism. 

It brought to mind a very old and dear RC friend of ours - she is 94 years old and my wife has known her since she was no age. She is very devout and visits her chapel every day despite her great years and has a picture of the Sacred Heart on her wall. 

Nothing remarkable, you might say, and you'd be right.

But beside the picture of the Sacred Heart is a photograph of our late Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh for our dear friend is a life-long Royalist who follows the Royal family with great affection. On the day of Her Majesty's funeral she watched the ceremonies from beginning to end, only taking time out for her daily visit to church.

Of course, you will have already guessed the point I am making because a great many of you have RC friends who whilst not able to proclaim the fact are nonetheless happy to be citizens of the United Kingdom and want nothing at all to do with "Irish unification". 

The census proves nothing.”

The friend of your quoted poster will likely be dead before any border poll takes place.

Harsh, but - she isn't relevant.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

It is failing less as time goes on.

I don't think that will happen but it is an outside possibility.

That's the point I was making.

Oh I don’t disagree.

it may fluctuate a bit, but roughly the same amount are determined to be Irish as those determined to be British. The key group are in the middle and economics are key. If the can ever be convinced that they will be better off LONG-TERM in roi then they will go, but that’s not going to happen. Never will the support of 5 million people come close to the support of 60 million people. That’s the problem for those wanting Ui. And now that the 5 million are major contributors to the eu, they are screwed.

if I don’t feel to well tomorrow I get a consultation foc with my nhs doc. He says we need blood tests they are foc. Then I need medication, it is foc. This is a massive problem for those wanting Ui. Sf would be better replicating our nhs than running around eulogising terrorists.

Most of those in your capital city can’t pay for a home, never mind asking them to start paying mine. I hear it is crisis in Dublin for young people needing houses. Why would our young people want that

Tbh brexit was bad for unionism. But even brexit has not made moderate catholics want to leave the comfort of the Uk. I believe hardline unionists will learn. In the same way as roi has transformed its ultra catholic, no condoms, gays or divorces, etc. hardline unionists will change and be much more liberal. That will be the shinners nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

ffg candidates will get destroyed in the North, a lot of people will remember that both parties were responsible for leaving the Nationalist community at the mercy of the RUC,UDR, BA, UVF and the UDA.

Are you not just wanting to move the partition from Dundalk to Larne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why continue talking about the Catholic/Protestant aspect of this when the elephant in the room is the huge swings in the indetity statistics.

A drop from a 15% difference to a 3% different in people identifying as "British only" and "British and Northern Irish only" compared to identifying themselves as "Irish only" or "Irish and Northern Irish only"

The obvious 8% drop in "British only" and the 4% increase in "Irish only "

Theses numbers show only one thing, British identity in NI is in decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who thinks the citizens of this Republic would want the Six Counties? Well we might if it's on our terms. Big levelling up of the civil & public service and reduce the number of public/ civil servants up north would be one of the first demands. No way we'd be keeping yous in the style you've become accustomed to, sucking off the teats of the Brit taxpayers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

With Sinn Fein as top dog in this new independent NI? I can't see any unionist or loyalist going for that one. They would think they would be better off in a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I was watching The View, and there were the usual DUP suspects arguing that more people identify as British only.

Sorry Emma, the majority of people in Northern Ireland consider themselves Irish only as of September 2022.

If the drop was 8.2% in 10 years, then the projection for September 2022 is the majority consider themselves Irish, by at least 1%.

The census took place 18 months ago.

In any border poll, the interesting group will be the "Northern Irish only" group.

They are more than likely mild unionists who will probably reject a United Ireland.

Too early to have the border poll for the Nationalists yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's the trend that's killing them, and they know they can't stop the trend

And their attitude to Brexit has a huge part in that trend.

There was a 14% difference in those identifying themselves as British to Irish in the previous census. Now it’s 2%. Maybe it’s the deluded outlook such as yourself that has unionism in such a precarious situation?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

would anyone have believed that the 33% approx who regarded themselves as Irish only in 1922 would actually reduce to 29% over the next 100years. Project United ireland has been an unmitigated failure.

I don’t know a single person, even on here, who thinks these stats would suggest the majority of people in ni want a United ireland. That’s remarkable. We have had discrimination, sectarianism, 30-year armed conflict, flags protest, brexit, etc and still only a small minority are interested in joining the UI promised land. And over the last 100 years we have been told continually that a Ui was just around the corner. I guess if it keeps people happy to aspire towards the unachievable so be it

There will be and always has been a cohort who will not vote for uncertainty.

Look again at the Scottish situation - 33% favoured independence when the Ref was called and it jumped to almost parity on the publication of the White Paper.

We need the Irish government to make a plan and I think that is where the pressure will grow now. It is no longer tenable for them to sit on their hands and ignore the constitutional aspiration to unite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Next thing you'll be advocating for an invasion to liberate the south ;-) That's some twisting of the obvious facts.

• Advertisement

Advertisement