Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do affordable EVs exist in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Must have been a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

120k km is nothing for an EV. Wouldn't bother me for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭bmc58

Masses is not a nice description of ordinary hard working people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The masses simply refers to the majority of a population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Do 2020 Konas have adaptive cruise control & Lane keep assist? Bsd? Etc?

I have an ioniq premium se with all with all the bells & whistles & I would be slow to change to a car without adaptive cruise control

• Advertisement

Plebs is not a nice description of ordinary hard working people. As in the plebs are now allowed to charge at some Tesla Superchargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Part of the issue is scarcity of supply.

My car would probably cost 4 k more to buy today in a dealers.

Vs what I paid for it 13 months ago.

Yet its 13 months *older* with more KMs on the clock.

A big litmus test of this is how MG4 pricing plays out in Ireland.

A poster on another thread has had it implied to them that MG4 could be 37 k here.

So is the problem EVs or is it Irish Govt/dealers/importers refusing to offer good value.....

Just a thought.

What Irish EV market probably needs is someone whose actually passionate about EVs and keen to offer best value for money.

Its not just the end price but also having dedicated EV knowledge and developing the skills to deliver back up and support to the customer.

Its about someone been able to anticipate the market and looking to deliver cheap EVs to buy outright when market isn't great (oversupply).

But offer good lease deals if residuals look good.

The current dealer model hampers EVs for a number of reasons...

1) you pay dear for EVs from someone with as much interest in EVs as they do a breakfast cereal box.

2) there is still a yard full of ICE cars that need selling. Why tell a customer whose on the fence about EVs that an EV thats going to take 6 weeks to come (cancelled order) is THE ANSWER and much better then a Passat diesel.

When you've got a Passat diesel in the yard they can drive away TODAY.

Its reminds me of the housing crisis - too many people in the supply chain are benefiting from prices being high and supply too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is now a good time to note that Phil Fitzgerald was and is a big loss to the EV market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure thats true.

I was surprised in London during the summer just how many high end EVs there were, Porsches everywhere and cheaper EVs Leafs, Zoe, while around were nothing like as common, even beside ULEZ. Then I realized most people don't have their own driveways in London (except the wealthy). So public charging is under great demand. So lots of newish small petrol cars were far more popular than I expected. Because of the tax regime and the charging infrastructure.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9330031/Electric-car-North-South-divide-revealed-ownership-EVs-rises-53.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I do like the look of the Zoe, more so than the Leaf, but with the Zoe starting at €30k - I couldn't justify it, and wouldn't spend it. Not for the 500km a month I drive, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The second hand ones I've seen online are still expensive - averaging around €25k.

You have to work out the total cost of ownership including running costs and depreciation over how long you'll own the car. Vs the same for petrol equivalent.

@[Deleted User] - there are much cheaper Zoes out there, but be careful as the older cars were all sold with battery lease, which is very expensive and you will have to pay it forever. Some owners bought out this lease, but you will want to see clear proof that the battery is owned.

With your super low mileage and if you never need to drive more than about 60km, you could also consider a Renault Fluence Z.E. these are also fully electric, very comfortable, but they can't fast charge. These also came with battery lease originally, so try and find one with battery owned.

Buying out the Zoe lease was talked to death online. But I never saw any first hand evidence that Renault ever facilitated this.

There are some older cars without battery lease but I'm guessing about 5% of them. They were rare when I was looking for one about 4-5yrs ago. I stopped looking.

Thanks all,

See this is what I mean about switching to an EV .... I haven't a clue about battery leases (?!?) or things like that and I'd be terrified I'd end up spending a lot of money on a big mistake, its all very confusing!

But I appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

At 6000kms per year in a micra you're looking at using around 1000 litres of fuel in a year which is somewhere between 1500 and 2000 euro a year depending on where price of petrol goes in the next year

An ev would use about 900 to 1200 kws of electricity based on 15/20 kW per 100kms which would be about 250 to 300 euro so saving around 1200 to 1700 a year on fuel with a bit of a variance in petrol and electricity allowed for...and we don't really know where either one is heading

So that's where you are, is it worth moving to electric for that saving? I can't answer that for you. Depends on the cost to change from the micra to whatever ev you'd buy and what you'd spend

There's also significant savings on motor tax, insurance, maintenance and tolls. M50 off peak is 75% discount for an EV. And EVs have very low depreciation. And of course there's the environmental impact. There's more to an EV than just fuel savings!

It's not that hard, if the battery is owned, there should be a letter from Renault RCA (their finance company) stating that the battery is owned. I have a Fluence myself (battery owned) and I have that letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

6,000km in a Micra doing 6.4L (1,184 entries on Spritmonitor) at €2/L would be €768. That's a fairly low cost in terms of petrol and probably doesn't warrant switching to another car.

With such low mileage servicing costs will be low as well. Though you can be lucky/unlucky with that.

Currently it's costing approx €62 to fill the tank to full from empty, and I would get at least 3, almost 4 weeks out of that.

You need to start adding up all costs. Not just fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

I read your post and thought it was high, then did 6000[km] / 6[l/100km] and got 1000l too. 🙈

Of course it should be 6000 [km] * 6[l/100km]

= (6000[km]/100[km]) * 6[l]

= 60 * 6[l] = 360[l]

IMO, if the decision to switch to an "affordable" EV is down to cost only, and ignores driving experience, environmental impact, or comparison to a new ICE car, then of course servicing, tolls, etc. come into it. But they're heavier on tyres and suspension parts, albeit lighter on brakes generally.

But remember too the potential cost of an issue with an out of warranty EV vs an ICE - lower likelihood absolutely, but BMW are looking for at minimum €4k, and potentially up to €8k for a battery repair (not replacement) on my PHEV. I'm really struggling to find an independent to do the work instead. I will never see fuel savings balance that cost, and the stakes are higher for a BEV. I would absolutely buy a warrantied EV, but I'd want to be making serious savings versus an ICE to justify one out of warranty.

Ha yeah was just doing some man maths in my head I normally get them right.

I'm a recent EV convert but I don't think it suits Louze here to change.

But i wanted to change anyway. The only financial sense it made for me is the chance there will continue to be supply issues which will keep residuals high, which may or may not happen, who knows.

Yes, I'd really like to change, and sure we all will have to eventually. I just need to learn a lot more before taking that leap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think low mileage like yours in a modest petrol like micra will take a while to make sense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don't take a test drive in an EV, because you'll not be able to resist buying one 😄.

Stay Free

Advertisement