Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I'm not sure this is necessarily how it will pan out.

Firstly, I don't get the impression the guys who have gone to LIV are that bothered about world ranking points and desperate to play in the majors. It would seem that if they can, great, but if not they'll forge on with LIV.

Secondly, the majors aren't set in stone. Things evolve and who's to say LIV won't set up their own 'major' that the current PGA/DP tour members will want to play in themselves in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well I've seen at least one (Martin Kaymer) say he wants to play in the majors in an interview. And there are no LIV events on the weeks of the majors in their 2023 calendar. So whether that's to avoid a clash that would reduce their audience or to allow their players to compete in the majors, it certainly indicates that they are not standing in the way of their players competing in majors.

The majors are pretty much set in stone. There's been talk about the Player's Championship being the 'fifth' major for years now and it hasn't happened. A LIV event can't become a major since it's an 'invitational' tour and not 'open' to everyone to qualify for and compete in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

The Majors are set in stone golf! Its all about the majors & the history of the game! Same in most sports like Tennis and the grand slams. And who says that the LIV players are the best in the World? I definitely dont think they are!

And if you dont qualify, well your not the best are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

With respect, nothing is set is stone!

The original majors were the Open, the British Amateur, the US Open and the US Amateur. The PGA and the Masters replaced the amateur tournaments as tournaments deemed to be majors over time as professional golf evolved.

Who's to say how professional golf will evolve over the next 10-20 years. LIV may morph into a tour with world ranking points. A compromise may be reached with the current tours. To take a snapshot of how professional golf is at the moment and say that will never change is to my mind very presumptuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

”the original majors….”?

There is some nonsense revisionism at play here.

I know it’s not just you, but really, what you’re doing here is promoting a myth that an unrelated group of tournaments half of which precluded professional entry, were of an identical cultural standing of a group of professional tournaments.

this just doesn’t add up, no matter how poor your maths.

——-

The majors are the majors solely because the key players of the 1960s wanted to be able to compare their greatness against the key players of earlier times.

No matter how much time, money and marketing you push at a tournament, no matter if the top 150 players all turn up and draw dead level, no matter which modern player nails his colours to a tournament…. there will never be a change to the make up of the majors.

The reason for this is simple: nobody owns or controls the concept. It is intangible and only exists because players past, present and future care about this roll of honour more than they do anything else.

• Advertisement

Presumptuous? The newest major started in 1934. To think that this would change in a couple of decades from now is optimistic at best.

And to continue to suggest that a LIV tournament could become an major would require addressing the points I made that would prevent such an eventuality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There is zero chance of a LIV event becoming a major, ever. In fact the current Majors are not part of any one tour regardless.

Personally I can't see how the LIV tour would be denied OWGR points seeing how other lesser tours have them - whether those points will be meaningful is another story. For any of the Majors to deny LIV golfers - assuming they have qualified - would just be diluting their own product for zero gain. It would make no business or golfing sense to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

"And if you don't qualify, well your not the best are you."

That's a little inaccurate though, don't you think ? Its not as black and white as that. If you don't qualify because a dispute between tours has led to you being excluded, is not really a reflection of how good or not you are.

I agree with you that the Majors are set in stone of course, and will never be changed, nor should they be iMO. Genuinely curious as to why so strongly anti-LIV ?

It's pretty bullish to assume LIV will exist in 10-20 years. It can never get to a situation where it's handing out NFL/NBA style contracts to a glut of top players and then wash its face commercially by bringing in sufficient sponsorship / tv revenue etc.

The situation will likely improve somewhat, and I do believe they'll attract some sponsors and maybe get a TV deal, but never to the extent to cover the huge cash outgoings they've promised the players (and for all the talk about the various reasons players have gone, the sole motivation is cash).

So it's forever dependent on the whims of the guy who is underwriting the costs of it. And if that's the case, it's a gamble assuming it's around long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I understand you quite clearly have an agenda against Liv but you’re just plain wrong about Liv golfers not being world class.

Cam Smith & DJ alone aren’t just world class…they are absolutely elite players currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eireyiddo

So someone in crowd shouted "she had it in her mouth and the kids walked in" when Smith lipped out a putt. Finding it hard t keep wit it.

Strange stuff getn shout after shots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like Smith has it wrapped up this week.

Next event is in Bangkok. It think that will be where the long term success of things may be. Taking their tour to places like Thailand, India, Korea, China, Japan etc. Then the players can supplement their rankings on the Asian Tour. Taking world class players/big names to places that the PGA Tour don't go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I watched back the last 30 mins or so of the final round on youtube. Must say it's really not an appealing format to watch mainly due to the shotgun start element. It's hard to understand the nuances like with 3 holes to play and 2 players tied from 2 different groups who has an advantage based on the difficulty of their holes left to play. The commentators do try to explain but then they rapidly cut to someone like Mickelson who is nowhere near contention to show them taking an inconsequential putt, almost as if they have to contractually give them a certain amount of air time. Also the team element seems very underwhelming, the commentators with their exaggerated excitement when some makes a putt to put the Smashers(?) into third.

Even if the PGA was disbanded tomorrow and the actual top 54 in the world were playing this format I really think most golf fans would not be happy watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

That they are but there is a serious lack of depth - Cam and DJ are ahead of the others, then a second tier with the likes of Ancer, Niemann, Bryson, Reed, Gooch maybe. After that it's mostly older guys who are in the twilight of their careers and then guys I've never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I've yet to find the need to click in even for a looksee. I'm just not drawn to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh I have to admit, another week gone and I had 0 interest in revisiting it to give it another go

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but it will be hard for them to 'kick on' from here, even with the increasingly better field

The buzz at the beginning was minimal and it's tough to just explode out of nowhere now. They haven't had any massive spikes etc in interest or viewership

Unlimited money or not, if the buzz isn't there, the people funding will just move on to Tennis or something eventually (which I actually think is a better fit for what it's worth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

I stand by what I said. Two players from the world's top 20 - 3 if you include DJ who would be in the top 20 if he played ranking events recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

While you can see what they're trying to achieve with the shotgun start, it just doesn't work for me anyway. Part of a Sunday golf viewing is watching a story unfold for me. LIV is just too all over the place to let any narrative develop.

I watched it from early yesterday and they're really trying to sell the team element. You can tell the players have been asked to promote it as well. It's all just too forced.

The crowd is another big turn off. They can be bad enough at PGA tour events but LIV seem to be actively trying to bring out the worst in them.

Herself and the kids watched a bit for the first time. They didn't really know much about LIV and it was interesting to get their fresh views. None of them were fans of it really. It's all too naff was the generally reaction.

The flyovers are probably the worst part of it all. It's like taking a rollercoaster down the fairway 🤢 Different for the sake of being different.

All that said, DJ and Smith battling it out got my attention more than Homa and Willet could any day.

No sign of this other top 10 golfer deflecting, you would have imagined that they would have wanted a few more asian players signed up before the Bangkok event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The 4 majors are well known as the majors. I don’t see how one would get downgraded. The only possibility is the addition of a 5th Major.

Same as myself, it’s only from PARlance post above that I found out Smith and DJ were going head to head. I don’t even know which one of them won in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Smith won it in the end, I didn't hang around for much of the back 9... Sorry, for much of the "9 holes to go".

If the field stays the same, it could quickly turn into the Smith and DJ tour.

I wasn't actually arguing against you. Just posted the list in a reply to you to reinforce your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Actually that’s an interesting one. I know we all play shotgun from time to time and it would boil down to a back 9 countback in the case of ties. different for us mere mortals, but in tournament conditions, you have to keep your nerve coming down the stretch. Kinda sh1t if twine lad beat you on a back 9 countback when he played those 9 holes first without the pressure on his back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

DJ, Smith and Bryson are three of the best players in the world for me, definitely top 10.

Views are a bit skewed because DJ was going through a bit of a lull, and Bryson was injured prior to defection.

Brooks is a funny one, not sure how good he really is or just had a serious purple patch. But on the balance he's a top 10 player, but again has been in a lull.

Niemann for me is one of the best upcoming players in the world and one of, if not the most likely next first time major winner.

At worst they have at least 5 of the top twenty, arguably 4/5 of the true top ten, not just moment in time ranking imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

I watched a bit of first few editions but didn’t even know until today there was a comp this weekend , saw it browsing BBC golf page. Very little coverage considering Cam Smith won but perhaps hard to compete with QEII. It might all fizzle out but a few players who gambled with joining have really cleaned up…Pat Perez, playing like ass most weeks but in 4 tournaments has won around €4 due to the team element , lucky boy for being put with DJ and co. More than he ever won on PGA tour in a year after only 4 comps and he only managed to be in the top 30 once so far!

But how good will they be when they're playing short tournaments for a good chunk of the year? I'd be interested to see how they fare now that they are committed to LIV and will have very little or no 'normal' tournament practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I guess the Masters leaderboard will be a good indicator of that, provided they are allowed participate of course!

• Advertisement

It makes a mockery of it though with Perez playing crap and earning that sort of money, I’d say he will be squeezed out soon enough, but he will be set for life. Crazy times for golf.

Advertisement