Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I could agree with DJ and Smith alright, not so much Bryson. He's possibly a current top 20 player but with his injuries maybe not.

Brooks just looks finished. Injured and disinterested, he was a great player but it has been a while.

Niemann is for sure up and coming but you can't really call him top 10 if his best ranking has been 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

LIV’s ability to manipulate Twitter is the most impressive thing the tour has done yet.

re the discussion above, only Cameron Smith is (based upon past 2 years) a bonafide current top 25 player in the LiV ranks. Some of the others were. Some of the others would have been. There’s a handful of them would have bounced in and out of that level for a few years.

Sorry, of course DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Is he still, though ? Bar the winter jolly down in Saudi, he's done nothing since his Masters win. He's not as far down the road as a lot of the LIV guys, but I'm not so sure he's still right at the very top.

• Advertisement

Probably. I think you can allow a player of his stature a period where form dips. Granted, he's certainly not on the way up but over the last 2 years is definitely a top 10 player. Was T6 at The Open this year having played very little competitive golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

DJ was world number 1 less than a year before the first LIV event and has been world number 1 for more weeks than Rory, third all-time.

I don't get people's need to talk down the ability of the guys that have gone, it's hugely significant, although there's plenty gone who are past it.

Ancer and Niemann were rising stars on the tour. Smith is possibly currently the best player in the world. Dechambeau and Koepka are big stars. And there's plenty of mid ranking guys who'd be picking up the odd tour event here and there.

I think DJ was probably effected by the whole thing more than most. Norman really wanted the world number 1 and he would've been the incumbent when negotiations began. His bad form coincided with all the will they won't they stuff and the it's on, it's off talk. I know DJ is known to have a thick skin / be oblivious, but there's only so far that will stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm not trying to talk down the ability of the guys that have gone, or feel the need to, I've no issue with the existence of a third tour. I was simply questioning whether DJ is still a top 10 player. Personally I think he's on a downward curve and its debateable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's an element of hating LIV so much for some people that no/very little credit can be given to the players who have switched imo. I get that to an extent tbh.

But based on current form, I would personally have Rory, DJ and Smith as the top 3 golfers around at the moment.

I wouldn't agree that Bryson, Brooks or Neimann are top 10 players though. Close, but not quiet for Bryson and Neimann. Brooks is an odd one, his prominence / stature was driven by his focus on Majors, it'll be interesting to see how he performs in LIV events over time.

Why would you have DJ ahead of Sheffler, Rahm, Zalatoris, Morikawa, Fitzpatrick?

• Advertisement

Simple/honest/not very scientific answer, because I just think he's a way better golfer when focused on golf. I don't think he was focused on golf for a good while recently, getting married, LIV move etc. but he looks back to a good level now where I consider him to be top 3 in the world.

Completely subjective obviously, I think Rahm is the closest to him from that list but I wouldn't have the others in the same ballpark as him all things considered... I'm sure people could put up a valid argument to say why he shouldn't be top 3 and that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

DJ is pushing 40 now. He may well get a few more wins like Mickelson, but being able to stay in the top 10 would be a bridge too far I'd say. And tbh, I think he knows that too, hence the move to LIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s essentially saying ‘on his day’ which is a sentence that frustrates me in many sports

At least you’ve said it’s a non-scientific answer but based based on x number of months/years you eventually do have to start considering form etc above ‘quality on the day’

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Maybe the less hectic schedule will extend his meaningful golf span

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The players have sent a letter wanting owgr points, yet can't get away from mentioning the size of the purse on offer. Do they honestly think people want to watch for how much money a player wins? They also said it includes 48 of the best players in the world, serious head in the clouds stuff (outside of the genuine few who would be top class). This on top of what looks like an onslaught of self-validation on social media by players.

Saw a good quote on the whole thing yesterday (from a Daily Mail writer of all places), must find it again. Was a nice succinct reason as to why it all just doesn't matter to most people

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There are millions of golfers in the World, they have 48 of the best

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Trampas

How long does the process take to get world ranking in a normal situation.

It should have a proper set up when any pro can earn his way on the turn it shouldn’t get any points.

54 holes events should have some form of a points reduction.

There's a lot of travelling on the LIV tour. Next year they have both Americas, Europe, Asia, Middle East (of course) and Australia. That's a bit more travelling than DJ is used to. And on top of that he will (presumably) be playing majors in the US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah but they certainly don't mean out of millions. Otherwise pga tour can say their top level has 125 best players, more get into each event, there's cuts, longer competitions so all of that weakens any effort for LIV to be given any points

Really I’m quite in awe at how LIV are manipulating Twitter.

I follow golf course photographers, magazines and travellers on the platform. I don’t follow any players, any tours.

And I never (well maybe rarely) until the past 3 months saw tournament / tour related content.

Now every time I scroll I’m getting pegged with soft-sell LIV messaging.

”player x feels he his made a great home with LIV”

“player y took a few moments out his charity work to explain how surprised and disappointed he is at how mean the PGA tour has been”

”who’s the best player in the world right now, DJ or Smith?”

”they've parked for miles and miles to get in to watch today’s action”

”crowd keep telling me they’ve never had so much fun watching golf”

and so on and so on.

——-

it’s absolutely genius to be fair to whoever is driving it.

It’s also wrong on every level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A little excel sheet I've been using to track people who basically get told "Dont call us, we'll call you" by Greg Norman.

The 18 highlighted players are players who have been likely jettisoned by LIV as they havent played in the last 2 events. Justin harding for example is back playing on the European Tour and playing the International Series events on the Asian tour. He has probably been told if he wants to play next season, he needs to qualify through them like other people have for this year. He played Made In Himmerland on the European Tour which ran on the same week of the LIV Boston event.

I don’t use Twitter so it’s very interesting to hear you say that.

MOD EDIT, stick to golf chat please, source of funding etc outside scope per the Charter

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Who's the Patrick Reed playing on European Tour this week as the one who went to liv wanted to spend more time at home with his family or did that wear off quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Must say nearly everything I've seen on twitter is anti LIV, granted my main golf related follows are all anti LIV people like Jamie Weir, Kyle Porter, NLU etc. Maybe the 'algorithm' has yet to target me 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Borrowed from another discussion forum - the main tenants of what is needed for a tour to join OWGR:

Looking at LIV:

1. - fluff easy enough to meet
    2. If they want to be a development tour then the OWGR point are much reduced
    3. No doesn't happen
    4. currently 48
    5. no cut
    6. Asian tour maybe???
    7. No

So of the 7 main tenants 5 of them LIV are a long way off the requirements. And I think the OWGR used to need these tenants proven for 2 years??? I cold be wrong on that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think there was some sort of qualification run via the Asian tour for the first event at least. Probably just had one lad qualify 🤪

Can't see how they can qualify for OWGR points without fundamentally changing the way their tour works. No cuts for example, was one of their big selling points. So this 'appeal' seems designed more to generate sympathy than actually achieve anything.

Just on Patrick Reed, Rahm's interview at Wentworth was very interesting and balanced. Damning of some players obviously but he actually gave Reed a bit of credit as having been someone who had actually done his bit / supported the European Tour previously.

Thought it was a great interview from Rahm. He managed to be fairly balanced despite his anger.

Yeah, it was fair and balanced. He was also scathing of unnamed players who were just there to get ranking points (in his opinion) and never supported the tour before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Not a Reed fan for his other misdemeanors (understatement) but I agree he has always been willing participant in Euro tours events & took up his membership (offered to every major winner - but not every major winner takes it up).

Advertisement