Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even before computer-aided design came in (Ford of Britain started this in the 60s) they started making the steel as thin as possible. e.g. a Morris Minor has much thicker steel than a Mini even though the Minor has a chassis as well. Not that many BMC 1100/1300s have survived due to "just thick enough" steel and little rust protection (And bad CKD build quality for the Irish market) even though for much of its life it was the most popular car on the market.

On the plus side, "just thick enough" means lighter weight, better fuel economy and cheaper price. We all know the downsides. But we've an 04 Corolla which is still a pretty modern car and it just passed 54k miles on the clock 😁 and we hope to keep it going as long as possible... sails through the NCT, cheap to run, parts are a doddle, good fuel economy, low emissions, why replace it? Only hassles are ignorant insurance companies and the nearly €400 motor tax on a pre-CO2 1400...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I repair my classic cars simply because there are many years left in them, and I enjoy it. I am not into concourse restorations for a number of reasons. Mainly because I dont have to have a concourse vehicle to enjoy it. I would be afraid to drive an immaculate classic, and park it outside of Tescoes. And I'm not into trailer queens with their yearly outing to a show, and then into a locked up heated garage for another year.

I want to enjoy fixing them and driving them. Concourse is not for me because I dont have the tools, the workshop, nor the necessary skills, but I'm happy at what I do, and what I achieve....thats grand for me

Today I just located a VW Karmann Cabriolet . I enquired and there is a possibility it will be for sale in the next couple of weeks. It needs a complete restoration and there are a couple of interested parties I believe. They have dropped in price in recent years, and I see some running and driving ones selling for between 5-8K euros.

So this one might come at the right price. But if the owner thinks they have a rare valuable car, then good sense and logic will go out the window. I have explained to her a resto figure to get it driving on the road will probably start at around 15k plus, and go up from there, and she realises that.

So who knows, I might be adding to the vw stable, and I have a few weeks to break it to the missus. I will have to turn on the charm.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but at the end of it, you will have "working " car that can be enjoyed. And it will be good for many years to come, you could say it's ready for round 2!!!

• Advertisement

When you are making your own panels, if you take time to plan the fabrication you can save yourself some work. Its tempting to make a 3 sided item , in 3 pieces. If you can visualise the development of the 3 faces, you can combine them into 1 piece. And then fold along the bend lines to form the piece.

It just takes a bit of time and thinking ahead.

After preliminary folding, I tried it for a fit to the panel I made. Small bit more fettling and its good to go. I wont be fitting this tank support panel until I check it against the new panel for the other side that i am waiting on.

I had to remove the left hand tank support steelwork because it was rusted out. I needed to keep the metal bracket from inside the panel, as it was the suspension support bracket

and was made from heavy material.

The parts are coming on well. Looking very good.🙂

I managed to get the bulkhead panel and new fuel tank support panel that I made, welded together after some tenuous moments. I then welded these into the car front area. Most important points are the suspension mounting position, and fuel tank support height. I chose to install the fuel tank support in two halves. That way I could deal with the suspension mount bolt position first, and then weld in the remainder. Looks ok so far, and the opening for the fuel tank checks out.

• Advertisement

Final tidy up tomorrow and just to add an end piece, then I am over to the other side.

I managed to get the end piece made up to fit the back of the seperating panel in the spare wheel well. I also got the side piece that attaches to it, and runs around the back of the big side panel. This was always going to be bit by bit due to the complexity of the oressings, and the cost of a complete wheelhouse panel if i went that route,

which is 1000 euros. I have left the existing rusty panel in to give me a guideline to fit the others. Now that I have a good base formed on this side, I will move over to the other side and cut out the old bulkhead, and fit the new one i made, and the fuel tank support panel, and the new end piece for it , that I also made.

I think I must be into double figures on the panels now.

I welded in the two side panels, and offered up the front clip loosely to check for alignment and hole position. Just to make doubly sure that my side panels are located in the correct position. It seems that everything is ok for the welding in of the inner panel, and then ahead with the front clip.

Its all good sofar. I found that the biggest help I have had is with the purchase of a cheap led lamp and fixing that to my welding helmet. It improved the whole welding in process 1000%. Highly recommended.

Post edited by kadman on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Great thread that I follow.

But I don't post. I'm hope you keep posting and sure you know how many follow this project and others you have.

Post edited by Jeff2 on

When I bought the car I said to the previous owner that I would post the resto on boards as it all started here, and thats what I have done, and will continue as long as it takes.

I noticed one or two things during the resto so far. On of the most important things to do with any welding you have ahead of you, is keep the wire brush at hand. I constantly brush the area I intend to weld to keep it clean. I then weld the small area, take a look and check it, brush it again, rinse and repeat. I find it makes a massive difference to the welding. I never was as vigilant before during my welding, and as a result it often was a bit hit and miss messy, that I wasn't happy with. Now I dont have any hesitation in welding any area of the car, big or small parts, because I know if I take my time, keep it clean I will get a good result.

Now that I have the front nearly ready for its final welding, thats my goal for the week, to get both large panels spotted into their correct place. And then to fully weld where I need to. I'm in no rush, just careful progress, whatever time it takes.

Front looking really well now. be good to get that awkward bit front of the valances and tank support done.

On the back burner for a week. Have to do an abstract art piece of yew sculpture for a wedding.

Seeing as it's in a good cause, we will forgive you....☺️

Well its not something I can out of.....its the sons wedding, after staying with the school sweetheart for 18 years................now he decides to ask her🤣🤣🤣😁

Nope. You are snookered !!!! Wishing the Happy Couple all the Best for a long and Happy Life !!! Have a great day, and forget all about VW's of all shapes and sizes !!!🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will the other Variant be pressed into service on the big day? 😀

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Don't forget to show us the abstract art piece when it's done 😉

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

In my best Darth Vadar accent " Obi Wan you know this to be true"😀

I offered the blue variant as a rat look alternative....and was told " Dont you dare bring that fooking yolk to the wedding"....Phlistines😁

There4, work in progress. Now go away and let me finish it

😀

When it comes to unvarnished "in your face criticism", it's hard to beat your own....😏😏🙄🙄

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

@kadman, you've got competition.

Quick q - is expanding foam flammable? Asking for a friend...

With all due respect for the obviously talented individual who first had the "vision" and then the necessary talent to transform this MB into what it is now, I think I'll pass. Sculped expanding foam would not do it for me ( except maybe as a model of an immovable concept ) But a living active roadworthy vehicle? Nein, Herr Schon!!!🙄😏

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

The beauty of the timber helped me a long way on this one, plus a bit of patience😉

Advertisement