Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

That car is in great nick, but its not the car I'm working on. It was just used to better show the location of the panel being worked on😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

Where they could be very problematic was the inner door pillar, which carried the hinge's. This occurred mostly at the passenger side, as these doors tended to be not used as much and the hinge's started to seize up, with all the attendant problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Beagslife

Jesus, the weather's taken a bit of turn down there!

• Advertisement

Just trying the roughly formed panel for a fit and to check and mark in the bumper mount hole and locations.

Once thats done I will tidy them up, and take out the tank and tackle the fuel tank supports. Here is the bead roller as well that forms the beads and chamfers or whatever shape you need. Its a bit small for this job, but I'm not aiming for concourse at all here, just a strong decent repair.

The repair panels that are sometimes available, are basically a flat panel with no forming, as you can see from the bent panel the upper part of the wheelhouse is bent outwards.

Yes, they were a great car, and so was the fast back version, and this one will be too when you get it finished.🙂

Very professional job. Any idea whet the torsion bars are like?

Car handles well on the road when I drove it around so i dont expect any issues with the torsion bars as it sits well on the road.

Bump stop rubbers and suspension front and back are readily available, so thats not going to be a problem. I normally start at the engine, then brakes so I can move it around. I'm going to do the body then, and finish on the remaining mechanicals, which are readily available.

I'm doing the body first as the panels are available now, and may not be in 12 months if I do the mechanicals first. Thats the plan, it gives me the opportunity of a drive now and then😀

Hopefully mig welding gas is not sourced from russia🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement

I just found out that only the right fuel tank support panel is available, and the left hand is no longer available. Which means I will have to make the left hand one as an opposite copy of the right one. Probably not as bad as it sounds as I made both on the white fastback, and from no pattern.

At least I will have a new panel to work from.

So this is the one i have to make, and i will be getting the opposite hand as a new panel. And if its not available, well then it has to be made.

Now that the inner spare wheel panel is removed you can clearly see the rust damage to be dealt with. The ends of both left and right fuel tank supports are extensively damaged and need replacement with new metal.

If it was easy then everyone would be doing it

Now that the tanks out, its easy to see the exact location of the fuel tank support panel. I will now drill out the spotwelds on the drivers side support panel, and remove it, and then make any necessary repairs to the wheelhouse bulkhead, so that its ready for the new panel when it lands.

It actually looks better when the rusted parts are removed, leaving clean metal behind.

Now that most of the driver side fuel tank support is out, its just left to clean it up and make a new bulkhead panel where the support used to sit. Its the rusted area below the blue horizontal paint line. Then panels and repair time.

You can see the remains of the cut off panel . And the new repair panel I am making will be in the rusted are from the drilled out spotwelds, downwards.

Cleaned up the bulkhead where the new panel will join to. I chose the curve of the bulkhead, as its shape will ensure that when the panel below is cut, the curved remains will retain a strong correct profile. You can see the clean bulkhead where i've marked the panel position approximately,

I just rough fitted the bulkhead panel for a trial fit. All looks well, I just need to tweak the corners and weld them, and trial fit again.

Then I need to wait for delivery of the support steel panel to make sure my panel fits it.

I welded up the bulkhead panel, and it seems fine, off now to make another. No peace for the wicked.

Just in case you are wondering the only tools I have to make the panels, is an angle grinder, few hammers and a steel bench. I borrowed the brothers bead roller to flange the two side panels and thats it.

I started to fabricate the fuel tank support panel for the left hand side that is no longer available. I have the top face done and profiled to fit against the new bulkhead. Now just have to fold it downwards, and fabricate the profile and the suspension bush area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I doubt you learned that standard of metalwork doing your Group Cert though 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Maybe not, but I learned the hand eye skills from a lifetime as an architectural joiner. Metal is just another medium to work in. And back in the day when I was growing up, it was the thing to do by the folks of yesterday. Repair everything, and throw nothing out. What was a common set of skills to all old households, fixing shoes, fixing property, to save a few bob, is disappearing fast. Now that we have become a throwaway society, its all too easy to click and collect.

Plus the fact that I couldn't buy the bloody panel, I had to make it.🤣

An old friend of mine ( since deceased RIP) was a panel beater by trade, but old style. When it came to metal, he was a master craftsman. If a metal part was unavailable he would manufacture it, and the tools he needed to do it. The walls of his workshop had row after row of such tools hanging on it. Special tong's, former's, dolly's etc. In one corner of the workshop he had a fully functioning forge, and I saw him welding a really old ornate gate in it one time, the same way it had originally been welded. Long before you had repair systems like Car Bench, Car-O-Liner etc. he made his own one on a converted lift. He was one of the best, if not the best metal worker I have ever seen. It was amazing to see him in action....old school to the last, he always wore a shirt and tie, even while working, and wearing a long from the neck down heavy leather apron for protection.

Give me old school all day long. But they are long forgotten skills. Its all too easy with modern cars to ditch a minor repair panel, and replace it with new.

The quality of the steel used 30 years ago was far superior to the metal available now. I replaced heater channels in a beetle years ago, and had to do them a second time around within 10 years. I mentioned it to my supplier, he said 10 years is about the lifetime for modern day stuff.

I bought some new old stock panels for the variant manufactured in 1967, and a lump hammer bounces off them. New modern panels you could bend with your fingers.

Very true. The tunnel housing the clutch cable etc, was not the only strength in the floor. it depended on the side ducting too. When you mention the heating ducting in the Beetles, they actually formed part of the chassis, and were an integral part of the strength of the car as a whole. Th man I mentioned in my previous post would have been a blacksmith originally, but like you he had a great eye for detail, and was highly intelligent. Modern car design did not faze him one little bit,, he well understood steering geometry and would get the suspension turrets on the valances and steering rack mounts on the front bulkhead 100%, and with pretty basic alignment tools at that. Set squares, measuring tapes and spirit levels took him a long way. As he often said motor car design car began on a draughtsman's, board with the Datum Line, with precise measurements, and that's the principle he worked on. An Uncle of my Fathers, was a master coach builder, and his primary tools were the set square, spit level and measuring tape, so I suspect my blacksmith / panel beater friend spent some time in the same trade, but easily adapted to motor vehicles, as many of them did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Generally, mass production , while making things cheaper to buy, has not made them easier to repair. and it's not in the manufacturers best financial interests to make long lasting products. I completely agree with repairing rather than replacing items, especially when it comes to cars. But this Country is completely geared to replacing rather than renewing. Not trying to derail the thread, but for example, this is enforced by the govt's attitude of collecting vat on new car sales supported by the SIMI, so that we are channeled into needlessly replacing cars that would still have plenty of Life in them. What other Countries are there that will refuse to insure a vehicle once it has passed its NCT? This thread, showing Kadmans restoration is a case in point, and when he has finished, it will have many more ears of life, I know that it's not possible to go to the extent that Kadman is going to, but there are many other cars out there, needing much less work than Kadmans VW, and are eminently doable. Yet you can see the high bodied scrap metal trucks loaded with vehicles destined for scrap yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I am old enough to have always been a repair instead of replacing guy and still am where possible. Unfortunately, you are correct when it comes to the shoddy quality of newer stuff, in a lot of cases they are simply not worth repairing. I don't know if 3D printing could play a part in making replacement parts for the crappy plastic parts found on almost everything these days.

Anyway, I just linked that article because it shows some people are starting to see the true value of salvaging rather than discarding where possible.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Gadgetman496, currently I live in Country where nothing that can be salvaged is thrown out....when something is eventually dumped, nothing short of a miracle would have saved it anyway. Necessity being the mother of invention, and the whole economy is geared around supplying spare parts for anything, and plenty of small one man businesses actively involved in repairing household goods. Same for cars. They will rebuild brake shoes or clutch lining's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good point about insurance. Giving owners of older cars a hard time seems to be official policy despite all the "green" talk. VAT and VRT on new cars is a big money spinner after all. Annual NCTs (our car does 3000-3500 miles a year, what vital safety issue is going to arise in that time?) and insurance loading / hassle. Where are future classics going to come from?

I'm a biker and in the motorcycling world, keeping an old bike going is the norm. e.g. I own a bike which is 32 years old (and was in production several years before that) and most parts are still easily available. I suppose frame construction, generally low annual mileage, and plastic 'bodywork' helps here.

I've also been into tech, between hobby and professionally, for 40 years now. It's easy with a bit of knowledge to keep a desktop PC going for a very long time, I know people who have kept the same case for 20 years although it'd probably be the only original part left by that time (Trigger's broom 😁 ) Laptops used to be easily upgradeable (for memory and storage, anyway) and Dell ones still are. Apple started the trend of making their computers into disposable appliances, a great shame as in the 90s theirs was the best built stuff around and easy to incrementally upgrade to keep it going. Now we have €1500-2000 MacBooks which are basically useless and unsupported after five years, soldered in memory and storage so no replacement or upgrading possible. Batteries - a part guaranteed to significantly degrade within three years - replaceable only with great difficulty. Phones and tablets are the same now from pretty much all manufacturers, thinness is all and parts are glued in and more or less impossible to repair... 🙁

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement