Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do affordable EVs exist in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Imagine what price they will be when VRT is increased to equal petrol/ diesels and the grants disappear?? Maybe 70k?? If you looks at the ex VRT / Grant prices its amazing how expensive these EV's are - the Chinese are coming fast and will take over the market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭creedp

Which is why, despite the increasingly popular view that ICEs are the devils spawn and should be crushed on sight, the majority of people will have no choice but to drive ICEs for a number of years to come yet. As you say roll on the cheap Chinese EVs, the Japanese cars of the 2020s. Still remember my Aunts new Toyota 20 back in the 70s and my father mangling the name.. Tot.. Y.. Ota.

That's if you can get any Chinese cars here, if there's a dealer network, etc etc.

People may just go back to diesel.

But, the Irish taxpayer can't continue to subsidise foreign car companies when People are struggling to pay bills and feed their families , it's just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got a ZS in July for 36k brand new. (21k cash with my Outlander trade in). It's regularly doing 400+ km on a charge. That's the big battery top spec model with all the extras MG pilot, blind spot warnings, 360 cameras, glass roof and leather.

If you get the smaller battery standard spec one you are still getting over 300km and it's in the low 30's price wise.

MG 4 will likely be in coming in around 29k.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Imagine that the likes of the skoda enyak and id4 don't come with a reversing camera as standard

Like wtf.

No electricity adjustable seats etc. etc.

Mad stuff Ted

• Advertisement

To be honest I'd rather a High Spec Diesel than a poverty spec EV especially a poverty spec slow EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Luas ?

That's affordable and electric.

But range is very very limited.

Electric Bike ?

Electric bikes are cool, if you have a diy built one, the legal ones are too restricted which is ridiculous considering there are electric scooters all over the place going faster and having throttles which is against regulation on ebikes.

Luas is ok if you live near it but it's not really a suitable commuter transport in my opinion, it's too slow. I've taken it a few times into town and it's a bit crap really. A DART type service would be better, Dublin needs a Subway system and a proper fast western rail system that goes to the airport.

Public transport is shocking really, all the People in Nass, Johnstown and Kill no way except road to get to Dublin.

I've no way to get to work except car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bridgerock

Do you really think the market will be flooded with €15-20k Chinese EVs in the next 4-5 years?? I hear people saying this but I haven't really see any evidence of it. Seems to be a lot of luxury Chinese EVs out there that I can't imagine will be cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes I do expect that to happen. The new Dacia Sandero from the far east. Obviously a cheap and cheerful econobox is not for everyone, most people will still buy something a bit bigger and / or upmarket, but the Dacia Sandero was a big sales success here in Ireland (and in many other EU countries), so I expect the Chinese to take over that segment entirely. When is hard to say, but I think a 4-5 year period from now is a half decent guess. Could be earlier, could be later. But it is near certain to happen. I don't think the incumbent manufacturers will be able to compete with the new Chinese manufacturers at the bottom end of the market even if they wanted to.

I just checked and the Dacia Sandero currently costs from €15k. Damn, I could have sworn that was under €10k when it was first launched. Is it still the cheapest car in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can't the EU effectively keep the Chinese out of the market by taxing them if they are a legitimate threat? Up to the price of the indigenous brands? There must be a reason there's very few if any Chinese brands here now

It would have severe repercussions and protectionism wouldn't do anyone any favours long term. And yes they are coming, but RHD markets are not the first target. Plenty of Chinese EVs already for sale in Norway and the Netherlands from the likes of Nio, Xpeng and BYD. And of course we have pure Chinese EVs already here in Ireland too, like Polestar and MG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

are electric cars more expensive in price than petrol or diesel cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

You can't get an ioniq 5 since march this year as there was a massive issue with a chip supplier they basically lost 3 months of stock due to quality issue so manufacturing pretty much stopped.

On the model they normally deliver in Quarters but this year looks like two big shipments I. march and also September this year. Expect them to jump the list a bit next month. Looks like more cars than normal will be delivered in September a lot of inventory stock was available. Maybe because the grant will be totally gone in all specs soon and UK demand could have dropped they have sold a lot there maybe saturated market and dip in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nissan Leaf relatively affordable, Renault Zoe affordable but small, new MG 4 coming and the Citroen Ami too if you do not need to travel far and live in a city or a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

The issue is that by the time an EV becomes affordable in our welfare paradise country, its already perceived to be obsolete or perceived to have a knackered battery.

I'd love an EV. But I would not, and will never, spend €40K on a car.

I currently drive a micra, worth about €13k. I'll wait for one of those new chinese EVs, or a good used Leaf.

You could sell your Micra and get a decent Leaf and keep thousands in the bank. And then enjoy big savings on running costs.

Thinking about it. But don't know enough about the ins and outs of EV's yet, and worried I'd make a huge mistake - hence why I'm reading EV threads!

Feel free to start your own thread "should I buy an EV", giving your budget, your reasons why you are considering it, and most importantly, your driving pattern, what's your commute, what sort of trips do you make, what's the longest trip you'd do and how often, etc. The good folk in here will give you honest advice. They won't recommend you an EV if it is not suitable for you and they will give you the pros and cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Also....do you have a driveway to have a charger installed, or is it possible to install a charge point at your residence.

Stay Free

I do have a driveway, but I could also charge at work... commute is less than 10km now, and only 2 days a week, max. Never have reason to drive outside of Dublin.

Thanks, I will keep reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Changing to EV would just be a nice experience then. Your mileage is tiny. Wouldn't be a money saver. This was my commute in Dublin for a few years and the old Nissan leaf covered me comfortably. I charged once or twice a week. I only upgraded to a longer range ev because the leaf wasn't ideal and would not meet my needs for the commute in winter. You should look at 24kWh Leafs or Zoes from 2014 or newer if you want to switch to ev. Lower tax, almost no maintenance and a much nicer drive.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭dingbat

Why are ye a two car household when your other half works from home? (not having a pop - it's about usage patterns)

Seriously? Dropping kids to childcare / school for starters. He is not in Dublin, I'd imagine it's not a walking distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The talk here of Joe public being stuck with ICE due to high entry cost...what you're forgetting about is ICE will suffer huge tax increases and will be priced out if the market with VRT, Motor Tax and fuel hikes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Yeah

Indeed, Kids dropped to school and picked up from Granny's, 5 days a week, GAA when I'm not home in time, long list.

Living in the Country, if the School can't get in contact with Granny and the Kids are sick etc etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Start a log.

Keep a piece of paper in the car and for the next month right down your mikes you travel each trip.

I know that already. I'd drive approx 500 km per month in total, between local journeys and work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Wtf, thought I was seeing things with that mileage, 120k km in 2 years! insane, circled the earth 3 times. need your head examined to buy a car driven that hard. the whole village must drive it

Advertisement