Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do affordable EVs exist in Ireland

Options

Comments

Where can you get an EV for mid 20's with 400 Km range ? or luxury EV for mid 30's ?

We are 2 car household and in fairness what would be the point of replacing the Diesel Outlander with a EV when the missus works from home it would be a waste.

There's plenty of 2 car households who wouldn't benefit from changing to EV and there still isn't a lot of choice for those who want a larger car at reasonable cost and not likely to be for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@[Deleted User] - "Where can you get an EV for mid 20's with 400 Km range ? or luxury EV for mid 30's ?"

Kona 64kWh for around €25k-30k. Tesla Model S from about €33-35k

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

New KONA Electric 64 is €39,995 + delivery and including Government grant

mid 30's and probably massive mileage ? fine if you got warranty, you were lucky but a lot of people can't and probably won't take that risk, you know what I mean, I'm not running it down, I wouldn't buy one with high mileage with the mileage I'm doing and then what range will a 2nd hand 85 Kwh MS have in 4 or 5 years at decent speeds ?

Well see a lot of People would argue with you about the range of 400 Kms on a 2nd hand Kona.

Do you think 40K car is affordable for the masses ?

• Advertisement

Cheapest Kona I see is 33K on carzone. and they're all the 39 Kwh hardly a 400 Km car at 25-35k.

Here we are in 2022 nearly 2023 and still no proper affordable electrics and not likely to be.

I don't consider a 35-40 K car affordable for those on lower incomes which is a lot of people.

Not sure what your point is. This has always been the same. Nothing to do with EVs. 10 years ago if you had €25k, you could buy a boggo Toyota Corolla brand new. With warranty. Or a 5-6 year old Mercedes S-class. With no warranty and eye watering bills if something serious would go wrong and you'd go to the Mercedes main dealer to have it fixed. Some people prefer the Corolla, some people prefer the S-class. It won't surprise you I'm in the latter group ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd go further and say we don't have affordable cars. The choices are a Dacia Sandero or walking

Look at the sales stats, highest selling cars are expensive CUVs and luxury cars. No dealership wants to sell you a bog standard car and will probably tell you to p!ss off if you came looking for one

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That seems to have always been a feature of the Irish market, I've always thought that outside of Micra's and Yaris's the small affordable cars are missing, and end up coming in as 2nd hand imports instead.

• Advertisement

When I got my Leaf back in 2015 it cost 28.5 K for top SVE Spec ( if I remember that right ) and 6.6 Kw charger and it cost 28.5K, granted the battery was 24 Kwh 21 usable but still, that was 7.5 years ago. I suppose you could argue that the Kwh is more now in most electrics but the cost of batteries has come down but the point being is that the Leaf at that price was a lot more affordable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Currently realistic range of the P85 is about 300km on motorway at 100-110.

Maybe the S85 would be better as it’s less powerful?

I'm actually surprised to see the ID4 7th place and the id3 so far down at 29th and ioniq 5 at 21st, I thought at that price it would be further down.

I think I'm more surprised to see the Model 3 at 54th.

Interesting stats all the same.

VW Passat at 83 outsold by id4 an EV, never ? lol where did the love for the Passat go ? probably no one buys saloon cars now, estates are hard to find.

Tucson starts at 36,345 probably diesel.

Ioniq 5 starts at 40K for 58 Kwh and 77 Kwh starts at 48K and goes up to ridiculous money.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Expect the model 3 to jump up near the top 20 when September registrations are in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2019 Kona (the one I was actually referring to) has 3% degradation so easily 400km+ this time of the year and getting a brand new battery also due to recall. Our one has 420km range last week and we will wait until the last minute before getting the battery replaced.

Model S was the luxury I was referring to also and the post was early Feb before things went loopy but having said that there was a 2014 S posted last month in that price bracket with 2 yr warranty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Exactly the same cars as I gave the price examples for when @[Deleted User] asked

But he got it wrong, the 39 Kwh kona is 39.5 K not the 64 Kwh.

400 Km, really depends on how you drive and speed.

I paid €26k for a 2019 64kWh Kona with 27k kms on the ODO and a brand new battery in waiting. Range varies with driving style for sure, the Kona has a great rep for being a range EV, 64kWh usable in such a compact presentation leads to long range...

• Advertisement

64 kWh Konas can be got second hand for that price.

€25k asking price Kona 64kWh, no doubt you'll get it for €24k, that's a serious bargain. WLTP range 480km

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lower income people don't buy new cars.

Lower income people require higher earners to buy new cars so that the national fleet is renewed and lower income people can buy them on the 2nd hand market at a more affordable price

The Toyota corolla, is 30k in Ireland. You can't get more 'affordable family car' than the corolla (although I'm sure people will say the Dacia duster us the real definition of an affordable car

I'm not saying that all lower income people can afford a brand new corolla, but they tend to pick them up in the 2nd hand market when they're a few years old.

The MG4 is due to launch in Ireland in a few months. The pricing isn't announced yet but it is likely to be similar to the cost of a Corolla in Ireland. Possibly cheaper

So how many 60 odd Kwh ( at least when new ) electric cars are available for 25 K right now ?

Did you not read any of my recent posts on this thread? The last one even had a good value car currently for sale, that's lucky, normally you would have to be a lot more patient than that. If you are in the market for a bargain, any bargain, you need to check often. And be ready to buy immediately when one comes up.

Gee, only 1 ? that will convert the masses for sure.......

Yeah there's plenty of choice for ICE cars, that's the real issue, it will be along time before electrics with good range become in the 15-20 K territory, older ICE are affordable and provide plenty of range even a 8-10 year old car will still provide plenty of range.

They can't make enough electrics as it is anyway.

We're in a unique situation of an energy crisis and production bottleneck so pricing now is not "normal", used EV's were heading into the price range you indicated and would have been there by now but the worm has turned.

Anyone who bought a well priced EV in 2019-2021 and sold it this year made a profit or at the very least close to breakeven.

A 2019 Kona 64 would likely be around the €20k mark now had it not been for the first sentence, nothing we can do about it unfortunately

Gonna get a lot worse before it will get better. We will not see more than a handful sub €10k EVs until the market gets flooded with cheap Chinese EVs that will cost €15-20k brand new. That's a good 4-5 years away

In the meantime, mark my words. Those €5k Leafs you see now and then (these were €4k last year and sometimes close to €3k the year before), will soon be €6-7k cars. And probably more like €8k this time next year. Negative depreciation...

• Advertisement

You could be right there Unkel, flood us with Chinese cars when the E.U car makers go bust because they can't get energy or afford it.

I saw there on the id3 thread where handpref posted this.

"T5 in for 2.4 today

id4 loaner which is great

174bhp feels very very underpowered

No blind spot monitoring

No travel assist

No rear or area view camera

No led matrix or welcome light

No comfort entry

No privacy glass

These new ‘dx’ versions really are badly spec’d for a €53k car-"

Shocking prices for such minimal kit and even turning the power down is shameful. Bad times ahead for electrics at that rate. People will just go back to diesel at that rate.

Advertisement