Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really need Dublin?

Options
  • 13-09-2022 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

At the moment it appears we live in a Dublin first economy.

What would happen if the country separated itself from Dublin (city and surrounds) and split? I would imagine there would be plenty of hurdles for the 'countryside' part, however, I think the rest of the country has a lot to offer without Dublin. There would be some key strengths for the countryside economy in terms of resources that Dublin would need (Water, Gas, Food) that could be negotiated for areas where the countryside are lacking

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Does Dublin need the rest of the country?? If taxes collected in Dublin only went into resourcing infrastructure and other areas within Dublin we would have an amazing city and the rest of the country would be in bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Residents outside of Dublin have to pay the same tax as a resident of Dublin, with a fraction of the services. No busses, no LUAS, shït broadband, no “fercilities” for the under-privileged youths of the countryside.

And yet who do you always see on the television moaning about how difficult they have it? How everyone looks down on them for their “salt of the ert” accent and coarse humour? The Dub. They suck up all of the country’s resources and squander it. I would rather die than ever live in Dublin.

They pay most of it they pay in more than they take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

i would prefer you to die than live in Dublin !

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jack67

Stupid thread and an equally stupid first post 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If the country separated itself from Dublin as you suggest (obviously with walls, a moat, watchtowers and minefields) where would the countryside be administered from?

In other words, where's the new Capitol? (don't say Cork - that's absolutely inconceivable 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 2morrowHelios

I would say yes Dublin needs the rest of the country currently. There would not be much going on in Dublin without running water from the reservoirs in the countryside, electricity, gas and the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well whatever about separating, one possible solution for a new island administration would be a kind of federal government made up of regions. And those regions could be Ulster, Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Greater Dublin. So Greater Dublin would become a region with same say as other four regions.

With the taxes that would be saved from not funding the rest of the country I am sure they could afford a solution.

And another stupid post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yet you posed the absurd question in the first place. Odd.

No city can survive isolated from its hinterland. Likewise any non Dublin area will require an administrative centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,898 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin became separate from the rest of the country the rest of the country is fûcked. Dublin would be paradise though.

the greater Dublin area has approximately 1.6 million people living in it…there are about 5.1 million people in Ireland.

roughly 31.4% of the population live in Dublin.

the country to be minus that tax intake of 1.6 million people. And the numerous businesses based here..hmmm

The country to be without Dublin airport and other critical transport links

hospitals in Dublin have people from all over the country occupying beds, so to be without those … ?

😅🎖🤡

Dont we supply nearly half the produce grown in the entire country? The poor turnip-munchers would starve without our superior farming infrastructure.

Absolute rubbish. A resident from outside of Dublin pays exactly the same tax as a resident of Dublin with a fraction of the same facilities available to them.

What about the corpo tax from the MNCs in Dublin and the fact that we have about 1/4 of the total population living in the area. The issue is the amount of tax payers not the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dublin should build a wall around the M50 and declare independence from the rest of the country. Deport anyone not from there back to their county of origin.

Make Dublin Great Again!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

MNCs, despite what the corporate propaganda will have you believe, are not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes, country folk need something to moan about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭thomil

To be fair, unless you live along a few specific axes a few hundred meters either side of a Dart or LUAS line, you're not really that much better off than in any other urban area in Ireland. Dublin Bus isn't really that much better than Bus Éireann's city services in Cork, with similar reliability issues. This would encompass probably the vast majority of the city area. Availability and quality of housing is on par with other cities in the country and I wouldn't be so sure that available internet speeds in Dublin are that much ahead of other urban areas either. The city centre is just that little bit too large to be walkable, something not helped by decades of incompetent traffic planning that routes major thoroughfares right through the heart of the city. And whilst services like DublinBikes may be convenient, I've personally found that service far inferior to its "provincial" counterpart TFI Bikes, now available in Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford.

The only real advantages I see Dublin having, apart from easier access to the German Embassy in Dublin, which is more of a personal thing, are Heuston & Connolly station as well as Dublin airport and the ferry terminals in the port. What do all of these have in common? Exactly, they get you out of Dublin quick. Dublin may be large and its infrastructure may seem to be more advanced, but once you look under the hood, it's really just your typical Irish city turned up to 11.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

Thats not the point the point is the tax that is taken from corpo tax are mainly from MNCs who are mainly based in Dublin, add in most of the higher earners IT/Pharma and the top end of public service mostly live in Dublin so ergo more and more tax which would be spent in Dublin. It would be the rest of the country who would suffer if Dublin was its own entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

But people in the country benefit from cheaper housing. It’s a trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because the facilities cost an order of magnitude more to provide outside Dublin.

Would you be happy for the tax outside Dublin to be raised to a level to provide those facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You don’t seem to understand Dublin’s geography.

Also, if Dublin was to declare independence from Ireland, or the rest of Ireland declare independence from Ireland (leaving just Dublin), the new entity would have to apply for EU membership. Could take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

lol, always amuses me how thin-skinned Dubs are, no matter how mild the criticism is.

they have such notions about themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Understand it just fine, thanks.

Yes, we’d lose a good chunk of north county Dublin but a lot of that is just farmland anyway so the country folk would know what to do with it and losing “west Dublin” is hardly that big of a loss.

I’m sure we could make it work. Especially without having all the country crowd moaning and complaining about the city all the time.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Saying goodbye to a lot of corporate tax with the big pharmas in D15 and Grange Castle. As well as a lot of lebensraum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Thanks for posting.

But it is only useful if you can isolate the cost of each county to operate. Dublin supplies circa 61 percent of the national tax pool, the question is how much do the other 25 counties cost to run?

That is the economic answer in a nutshell.

I think it is also worth stating that Dublin is no longer as big as the county itself. People travel the length and breadth of the island daily to facilitate its' existence. Anyone living in Leinster is essentially a Dub now. It is only 100 minutes drive to Waterford. I have colleagues who commute from Connaught, every day.

So in answer op, to your fascinating concept, your answer from deepest Transylvania is a resounding no, the rest of the country would be phucked rapidly, get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

**** me, Boards is gone to ****.

Advertisement