Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really need Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'm a PS worker and my colleagues doing the same job down the country could afford 6 bed detached house for what I had to pay for a 3 bed semi d. So yes, we all pay the same tax but I'm much more in the red than the average country person purely down the cost to live up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Houses are cheaper outside city's, plenty of rural towns have broadband, cable TV, every country needs a city with an airport, university's , museums, theatres etc the problem is rents are high, houses prices are too high, new York, American city's have the same problem, if you want to work for a tech company you'll probably need to work in dublin I'd say a large part of tax revenue is received from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Without Dublin the rest of the country is closer to 1922 not 2022.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you drive say 20 miles/ 30 km to access regular public transport? Would you drive 35 miles / 50 km to access a hospital?

I would think all of greater Dublin would have basic services far superior to this.

And yet in our case, we don't live in the wilds of the west but in the relatively well populated but unserved SE. The general strategy down here is to close public services and move them to the likes of Dublin or Cork, maybe Waterford and sure just hop in yer car & drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The city is awful, you'd feel embarrassed for tourists coming over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The very suggestion is beyond the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe we could break it off altogether and send it over to the Brits, sure its only a little over a hundred years ago they were all out waving the butchers apron flag when Queen Vickie came to see them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The world GAA football and hurling championships would be interesting with the football championship going to Dublin and hurling going to ROI each year. The Dublin hurling team would get better over time as the refugees keep flooding in though.

I'm in favour of whatever political arrangement results in culchies needing visas to come to Dublin. No more come and go as your please. We'll have a Dublin mayor elected by Dubs with real powers, spending Dubs money on Dubs. Government for the Dubs by the Dubs.

And they can have Garth Brooks concerts in any bog or muddy field they like, as many nights as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vegandinner

I think we all agree that Dublin is an irredeemable Kip. But we still would need a capital city, so choice would be an existing city or build a new capital. (We could also bulldoze Dublin an build a city that isn’t awful in its place)

• Advertisement

We'll clean Dublin up when we have it back.

If we did it now we'd just get more blow-ins.

Start with Cork or Limerick or Athlone, all kips, see how ye get on after flattening it before you try it with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know right? Christ Church, Trinity college, Stephen's Green, Collins Barracks, The Phoenix Park - truly awful.

Let's send the tourists to the midlands instead, that's where all the real sights are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It costs about 30 times as much to provide each rural resident with electricity and broadband and water and roads and buses. Rural life is subsidised by those who live in cities.

And then they start screaming about pylons and never a word about the 220KV lines running through housing estates in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

To be fair it would make sense to try make a second capital city such as plan and invest in Cork city to take the strain from Dublin. Cork can expand in all directions while Dublin is blocked to the south by mountains and the east by sea. Many multinationals realise that Dublin is not desirable due to cost of living and quality of life. Indeed many located in Cork and Galway as a result.

As others have said public transport is not great in Dublin compared to similar size cities and as a result traffic is crazy with 30 minute delays a daily occurance on the m50. Commute times for short distances are high.

In terms of the financials rural dwellers are actually subsidised from cities tax take, as rural areas don't pay that much tax compared to the resources they use.

I would live to work from home 100% and live in a village. I can see more people demanding work from home to enjoy rural life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ya, all those low corporate tax rates would go far in sorting out all Dublin's antisocial problems. How many murders and violent assaults are committed in our capital compared to the rest of the country. 90% of our Garda resources are spent up there. Dublin is a big city with BIG problems. Outside of an All Ireland Final or a Garth Brooks gig most country folk avoid Dublin like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The spire, temple bar, the Luas, the entire city centre.

Avoid like the plague.

Real beauty is along our coasts and in our mountains and beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I actually love Dublin on a bank holiday weekend.

It morphs into a deculchified utopia. All the muckers tend to head west to kiss their mammies and from their local barstool bore the gods honest living shight out of their begrudging parish pals, who wish to bejaysus that they would ever just phuck off back to the big smoke where they actually live their lives now.

In the meantime the steets and pubs of Dublin are sublimely tranquil and are tamely bereft of culchies. For 3 nights anyways.

But I do love the aspirational culchie birds who hang around for the weekend. Especially the ambitious twentysomethings looking to get ahead in the big schmoke. My favourite are the types that develop a posh south side accent quicker than the speed of their kinckers dropping to any rich Dub on a fat salary with his own apartment on the Quays. They lose their sense of rural pride fairly sharpish once the Cab Sav gets flowing down in McSorleys on a Saturday night. Recently qualified doctors, sols, or nurses really get my fangs salivating.

Would need to do the same for Cork if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didn't really engage with the point made, there. There are plenty of things in Dublin city to attract tourists (which @o1s1n named but a handful of), which is why a huge amount come and will continue to come as long as tourists are coming here. They obviously enjoy coming to the city, which may frazzle a few jaded countrymen's minds, but there you go.

Anyway, Ireland is so small that a tourist coming to Ireland for a week or two can easily both spend time in Dublin city and also go to other places around the country. It's not either/or.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I have very little time for these threads and wouldn't normally comment but when you get a Dubliner that refers to people from outside Dublin as "culchies" (jokingly or not) then you know you're dealing with a real ignorant prejudiced little Dubliner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Funny i was thinking the exact same about Culchies lol......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The 'Entire' city centre? Grafton Street? Baggot Street? Wicklow Street? The slums of Molesworth Street? The wastelands that are the Iveagh Gardens? The hideous relics in our national museums? The mess that is the Trinity Library Long Room?

Yes, real centres of criminality, violence and working class debauchery there. Avoid like the plague indeed.

Maybe we could cut that Galway kip off were it belongs right into the Atlantic

There's a big difference between criticising a city or the concentration of economic activity there and lumping everyone outside Dublin into one group in a them-and-us fashion and labelling them all "culchies" or "boggers"... the latter is just simple ignorance and prejudice. The same would apply to labelling all Dubliners scumbags or west Brits. You know that and don't pretend you don't.

Post edited by Vita nova on

And you have no problem with real ignorant predjudiced little culchies , yea we know what we are dealing with alright !

Well thank god for that , please please avoid away

I have problems with people that refer to all of Dublin as a kip or those that are simply unwilling or too ignorant or prejudiced to find anything good to say about the city or its citizens and I've criticised them in the past but I draw the line at resorting to slurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You may be right but I embrace it! Culchie that is. Me Culchie too..

• Advertisement

Advertisement