Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really need Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The sheer irony and lack of self examination in your post is striking.

I have as little time for the threads you mention and those that have nothing but negative to say about Dublin as most but you're just their mirror image and you and others like you engender much of the antagonism towards Dublin. 

You call people outside Dublin "culchies" you make fun of their accents "the big schmoke", you throw in the usual clichés about people moving "down the country" (to mean outside Dublin) still being seen as blow-ins decades later as if it's the only scenario and it only happens to Dubliners and then refer to people outside Dublin as being "outside the Pale", a region and characterisation that in 2022 only exists in people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The irony of those slurs being posted in response to Dubliners supposed thin skin appears to be lost on you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

5 years after an independent Dublin

The Healy Raes would declare Kerry their kingdom and be crowned as monarchs.

The Midlands and border counties would descend into anarchy with various warlords (Sarajevo style). Mass killings would ensue.

Limerick declares independence and becomes a narco state immediately invading Clare.

The Peoples Republic of Cork are accepted into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

To celebrate the Healy Rae's would have a cavalcade passing through thinking the little people while sipping champagne.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jesus imagine what we could get done in this country if we got rid of all the culchie parish pumpers in the Dáil. The rest of the country would be in darkness as they're too afraid to touch modren things like "electric" and "indoor sanitation."

• Advertisement

Another ignorant prejudiced little Dubliner that calls people outside Dublin culchies and it's not the first time either. And you're a moderator for education and sports, what a joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

Dubs thinking anything outside of Dublin is "rural Ireland" or "down the country" is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

What’s wrong with being called a culchie, especially if you are one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Soon nobody will be able to afford to live there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Its After Hours. It is meant to be a bit of craic. There are a few that seem outraged but most people are just having a laugh.

For example I don't really think Limerick would become a Narco State.

Not so certain about the Midlands descending into cannibalism though

• Advertisement

If you want to call yourself a culchie that your prerogative but to many people including me it's a pejorative term and synonym for a country bumpkin, you know that! Lots of people from rural Ireland and outside Dublin in general especially in cities and large towns don't call themselves culchies, they may not find it pejorative but it's not how they think of themselves or describe themselves, so why call people what they don't want or like to be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Jaysus, but yiz are an awful sensitive bunch.

Go rub a cow. It’ll help you chill out.

I know it's After Hours and it's meant to be a bit of craic and I find most things here entertaining and informative but there are times when I feel a line has been crossed and I respond accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Because I said something you attribute that opinion to everyone else in Dublin.

Safe enough to make those assumptions I suppose, all us Dubs are full of notions anyway up above in Dublin the big pack of junkies that we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lads, lads, lads. This hostility and divisiveness, slurs such as "culchie" and "jackeen", and talk about junkies and joyriders and woolybacks and sheep-shaggers is a subversive creation of our common enemy: The Southside. It's designed to hold is in perpetual petty conflict, so that none of us can realise our true potential. The fat-cats in the permanent government in Merrion Square, the bourgeoise of D4 (and yes, I do include the Ringsend bit), the brain-washing tyrants of Montrose - they've all conspired against the rest of us to keep us at our throats so that they enjoy their unlimited power as the reptilian elite.

So the real question is: Do we really need the Southside? And of course, even a cursory glance at the question shows we don't. It produces nothing but pollution, but consumes everything except its own filth. If we were to simply remove the Southside - forcefully return it to its whore mother, the Irish Sea - the rest of us would see that we have so much more in common than divides us. We could usher in an era of utopia. Kildare would have a coastline, and Leixlip would be a pleasant costal fishing village. The M50 would only be half as long. We'd instantly free up enough electricity capacity for the rest of us to have all our lights on constantly all year round, without a care in the world. This is what we should all be working towards: the complete and utter removal of all of County Dublin south of the river Liffey. Anything else is an unacceptable compromise. Then we would live in peace and prosperity for eternity.

Just to be clear, though, the Northside would be in charge after. The rest of yiz can have your say and all, that's fine and only fair, but don't be getting any notions, or you'll go the same way as the Southsiders. I've no problems creating more coastline, or lakes, from troublemakers.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

All things being equal, I never thought of Culchie as a derogative term.

The thing is for Culchies to call Dubs "Jackeens" insteada Dubs.

That should settle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What chimneys in East Wall?

Private ones in someone’s gaff?

Assuming you're a French speaking Kaybaykwah then think of péquenaud as an appropriate synonym.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They still haven't figured out the 'immersion' yet.

Someone left one on in Leitrim and that's why it is so sparsely populated these days.

Don't tell Putin about how it can be weaponised.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

EU grants for the bog not enough this year?

I wouldn't call myself ignorant, I've seen the documentary "Killinaskully" so I know what goes on in the dark regions of this nation.

I think the difference comes down to education. Dublin people get their education in schools whereas country folk are educated in hedges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Shlttest city ever haha.

State of the people there as well 🤭😂. Most tourists I speak to tell me how bad a city it is. Locals can't afford to live there but they could join the Brazilian boys and live ten to a room if they wanted 😂.

They fly more Ukraine flags than Irish flags In rub-a-scrub-lin guess it goes with the territory of being a former colony only issue is Manchester and Liverpool (the two comparable cities I guess) have architecture that is actually impressive. Rub-a-dub has a big spike 💩 because da English **** all over that smelly town and da Scrubs a dubs could never run it like a proper city since.

Like a previous posted said the real beauty of ireland is it coastlines and coastal walks. Not in that scrub hole. They could at least fly a few more UA & LGBT flag to show how progressive they are to their mnc overlords I guess 🥺☹️.

You'll have to ask all the non-Dubs what they are doing living here.

I suppose even the s******t city ever trumps living in a bog? I mean we can't even keep ye out even if we wanted to. And we do.

And how can it be the s******t city ever if people are coming here from other cities abroad to live here? Our propaganda can't be that good???

Ah that's unfair. It's not the hedge that's the problem.

The quality of hedge school teaching has dropped since the Church can't get the numbers anymore and Dublin started stealing all the day-cent teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yes there would have to be a reckoning in an independent Greater Dublin with the Southside Dublin Four 'State of Mind'.

But who made the Southside that way?

I don't have any facts to back this up but of course I must be right and I think we will see clear patterns of migration from outside Dublin to the Southside. If we deal with the Southside, we must take measures to prevent the pattern repeating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This is supposed to be a light hearted thread but some people are taking it awfully seriously.

If a post goes too far report it and move on. Don't start taking it personally and getting into a serious row on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

A new capital would need to be established in this 'new Ireland' and once that happens many of the same issues will quickly reestablish themselves. It's simply how almost every country on earth works, a high proportion of inward investment into a country goes to major cities and rural areas and provincial cities generally receive less and are less developed as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Good point, well made. Just that I think we should first concentrate on the enemy at the gates, before we brutally turn on our ostensible rural allies and lay waste to them.

Just unfollow the thread then?

You are not a mod. They/we are tasked with ensuring lines aren't crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The Poolbeg decommissioned chimneys. I'm not a Dub so had to Google for the correct name. 🙄🙄🙄

Advertisement