Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really need Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hey I may be prejudiced, a Dubliner and there may be some things of which I am ignorant. But its not cool to insult peoples stature. It doesnt bother me but might trigger some Napoleon complexes around here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just posting when you haven’t a clue. Fair play to you. 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Joking aside, you have a valid point, I was using little in the same way as little Englander is used for the Pro Brexit side but it really is a slight on people's stature and I'll try not to use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement

I've never unfollowed a thread or blocked users in my life on this or other fora, I don't believe in doing so on principle but maybe it would be better for my mental health if I did :-) but I won't.

Of course I'm not a mod and when I talked about crossing a line I wasn't talking about a line that needed mod intervention or bans, just something that I personally really dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Always the same arguments. They should teach economics in primary school.

Dublin will continue to subsidise those outside it because Dublin needs the resources from outside to survive.

there are many people proud to call themselves “Culchie” but never heard a Dubliner proud of being called a “Jackeen”

the weird thing a lot of this in my memory was from the teachers. All my primary school teachers were from outside Dublin. They were the ones going on about country versus Dublin. Why would we as kids even think about? It wasn’t like it was a rival school we were going to bump into. They would often be derogatory about Dublin and one of the reasons I hated Irish was when we went up another year the teacher would give out about pronunciation that was different to the teacher before being from a different county.

most Dubs don’t think about the rest of the country daily but I always get the impression those outside are in a constant rage thinking about Dublin daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, but the Culchie term is Irish, and if both Culchie and Jackeen are deemed derogatory in this day and age, it is due to over-sensitivity. I think that there is a remoteness in the language that makes it less of an affront, nowadays. I may be wrong about that, but when I was living in Dublin in the eighties, there didn’t seem to be a big fuss about the use of such terms as insults.

How is it that blacks can call themselves the n word a hundred times a day, the queers and others in the LGBT use derogatory terms in an affirmative stance, but others may not. If ever there was a double standard, it would be the perceived slight vs the actual intent…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I presume you're replying to my earlier reply to you? I really don't want to open this debate here again for various reasons, so I'll respond to you via pm later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lol "2 hour drive"

You could count on one hand the number of people who had a car in the early 1900s.

Dubs were West Brits, they loved old Vickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Crowds throng Shop Street, Galway, as King Edward VII visits in 1903:

🥳🇬🇧🤣

Lol you went out of your way to find that to answer a post I made just winding people up, you're taking it way too serious lad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is a trade off, the TDs from the rest of the country accept the location of government departments in Dublin, tax schemes encouraging the financial services to be located there, etc... but in turn the taxes obtained must be applied for the benefit of the rest of the country.

If that arrangement were to change, then you'd find that many of the advantages would be taken away and allocated to other cities and towns. That is how the game is played. There is not a TD in the country that would vote do disadvantage their area.

In the early 1900s... Dublin was the 2nd city of a global empire and Ireland elected more than 10% of its MPs.

Versus today... Dublin is ham strung to 25 other counties which resent it and Ireland is one of the least important EU member states.

Plus a 'drive' back then could have meant a horse and cart. For longer distances the Brits invented these things calles trains.

(In the spirit of the thread...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dublin's a kip....

A good deal you say.

Maybe it was for Dublin but not for the rest of the country when people could be thrown out on the side of the road on the whim of a Landlord after breaking their backs trying to live on a patch of land they could never own.

Not by the early 1900s... there was 'killing home rule' with kindness which even applied to people outside Dublin.

Rural Ireland always needs a pork barrel, whether it is provided from London, Dublin or Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what would happen people from dublin outside the M50 ? and the airport would be gone. Malahide, swords, tallaght, saggart,rathcoole, lusk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

are people outside the M50 culchies or does culchies really only start outside the old Pale boundary, roughly Dundalk to Arklow as far as westmeath and naas.? are farmers like in dublin mountains around bohernabreena and dublin airport,lusk, baallyboughal etc culchies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Good question, op didn't define the boundaries of our city state :(

C'mon op, take this seriously 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to any town in Ireland there's criminals and drug users, since dublin is a large city it has more drug users than say limerick , we are in the midst of a housing crisis, inflation, high energy costs, we need 100k houses built just to provide a basic rental supply or for people on lower incomes, students housing etc so on what world do you think we could build a new city, capital, eg we are waiting years just to start building a children's hospital ,

The location of Dublin is important, it has a international airport, its easy to insult dublin by going on about junkies who make up a tiny percentage of its population

Yes theres problems with empty buildings, shops, offices, we are still recovering from the pandemic, we face some shops or cafes will close down as a result of high energy costs , increased costs of food, grocerys.

I can't imagine why we would want to get rid of Dublin, by the way half the people living in dublin are from the country or non nationals working in shops, hotels, building sites, or tech company's. Working class dubs can't afford to buy a house, in the area they grew up in, its hard to compete with someone from Facebook who's on a 100k salary

I lived in a small town 5pubs, 3 supermarkets, 2 cinema, s. A nice quiet town, walk from one end to another in 15 minutes,

I much prefer living in dublin even if its more expensive than a rural area there's a wide range of shops cinemas theatres clubs etc

I see a new future many more people may buy houses in small towns and choose to work from home instead of every tech worker going to dublin they, ll have a choice

I think one problem is dublin services can hardly keep up with the rise in population we had a tech boom did we build high quality rental units to house all the workers no

The broadband plan is supposed to provide a network for people who live outside city's in every part of Ireland it's government funded maybe in 5 years time we'll have 50meg broadband avaidable nationwide that's assuming we can solve the energy crisis look up new York City rental crisis if a apartment is advertised there, ll be 100 people queuing up to view it

The government tried a decentralisation plan years ago it was a disaster it turned out its very hard to force 1000s of people to move to the country if they don't want to and to keep government services going at the same time

I think in a few years time we might see old office buildings turned into apartments or student accomofation as company's realise alot of people want to work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

Can we start the decoupling from the Dublin Pale by giving Cork Airport its well deserved Freedom from the oppressive DAA regime?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There was this band in the 70s or early 80s that had one of their album covers a tugboat pulling Dublin away from the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Good idea. Independence from the DAA has done wonders for Shannon Airport, renowned for being Ireland’s most pleasant, quickest and stress-free airport to use, mainly because it has no flights and no passengers. It’s a model worth replicating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Advertisement