Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really need Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And yet when U2 tried to release this album in 1991, many rural politicians went ballistic in the Dáil, and started flinging their own poo like baboons at Tony Gregory in retaliation. They relented and released it as Achtung Baby instead. Double standards as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 2morrowHelios

Fair point. I'm open to suggestions however I think the country of Dublin would need to incorporate Swords, Tallaght, Blanch and the Airport. We may have to close our airspace to traffic to and from Dublin Airport to incentivise transatlantic travel to/from Shannon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We would need all of North County Dublin to grow our potatoes. We may need to annex the Blessington region aswell to secure the water supply. Wicklow would probably ally with us though as they are decent enough skins. We would also be able to rely on the civilised half of Kidare.

I would have a concern about the Northern border with angry Drogs and Dundalk heads testing the patience of our border guards.

I would have a concern about the Northern border with angry Drogs and Dundalk heads testing the patience of our border guards.

That's why God created that little bit of Meath with Bettystown in it. It's not only to allow people from Navan to wash themselves in the sea once a year, but it acts as a buffer zone, a bit like the DMZ between North and South Korea. All it needs is a few landmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Why all the hate at Dublin and its people? We love our country cousins and the beautiful holiday areas that we visit in your backyard. Us Dubs would be lost without the rest of you, sure we would be far better of financilly if we didnt need to support you but we would miss you terribly. Please dont go!

• Advertisement

Blessington would be a definite red line and we would not be giving up control of that water supply. We could drum up some old resentments in the area if needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We could pay the Meath lads to operate a shoot to kill policy on anyone from Louth trying to enter. They wouldn't need much encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

when i first came to /ireland about 25 years ago, Dublin Aiirport was the 2nd in Ireland, Shannon was the biggest. Since then the DAA has ensured that Dublin gets most flights. To be completely honest we need an indepenent regulator and not a DAA who can squeeze other airports to the benefit of Dublin.

I'm confused......which county do you think those locations are located in and why would they ever be excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It had air traffic artificially sent there due to US immigration but I never remember it being the biggest and best airport. It was rather irritating to have to fly to Shannon from Dublin when flying to the US. DAA took the debt from Shannon at left it to stand on its own. Airlines cancelled the routes from Shannon due to lack of passengers and moved them to other airports where they got them. Not all even went to from Dublin in the end. You can’t blame Dublin for the lack of use after the years of support only that they stopped subsidising it

• Advertisement

Original Post: "What would happen if the country separated itself from Dublin (city and surrounds) and split?" Nothing mentioned about county boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes we need Dublin and Dublin needs the Country.

Stupid Thread. Close it now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

In what world do Swords, Tallaght, Blanch and the airport not qualify as the "surrounds"?

Shannon Airport was never the biggest airport in Ireland. It had artificial traffic due to the "Shannon Stopover" rule, that mandated that any plane that crossed the country had to stop there. Flights out of or into Dublin to or from the US had to, by law, stop in Shannon on the way. As did transatlantic flights to or from other European countries that just happened to fly over us. Bit like making everyone heading in or out of Dublin on the M50 pull in at the Red Cow for no good reason. Which is actually a very good idea, if you own a coffee shop at the Red Cow, but a complete waste of time otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's a few rough areas óf dublin, theres a problem with homeless people sleeping on the streets, there's beautiful areas in dublin, the phoenix park, museums, art, gallery's, theatres, its the cultural centre of Ireland, taxs from Dublin are used to support rural areas, infrastructure, roads etc most big company's choose to locate in dublin, why do people pay 1 million euros to buy a house in ballsbridge, rathmines? I have no problem if some people prefer to live in rural areas, city's are noisy and crowded and busy . It does not suit everyone. And you can buy a cheap house if you are happy to live in a small Village. Like everything in life there's plus and minus, s . To some extent tourism relys on traffic to Dublin through Dublin Airport . Dublin has bland apartments, working class estates and posh middle class areas it's a vibrant mix. I like it that way. A large part of its population were born in rural areas. They come here to work or to study in university's. Trinity, DCU. If theres a music scene, cultural scene most of it comes from Dublin i like to visit the small town ó lived in for 10 years, I would be bored out of my mind if I had to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Is A.H. on the rise again? I hope so, we need a few laughs .

The Townies all over Ireland know that they will never live in the "poor farmers" big house on the land . They will head for the nearest bigger town ( if a wage is not available) , and from there the next big county town ,then Dublin and then abroad.

Those landless/townies, who managed to stay here, filled the Tenements of Dublin( aside the poor of Dublin ).

You do not really need Dublin /Cork or anywhere , if you own a bit of land! Last I heard they are not making anymore land...I have also heard that most of us don't have much of it! You really do need "Dublin" in such a context ( "an I have land" context).

Todays kids wages don't seem to fit their needs. It ain't the townies ,small or big , who have created this mess. Those who look down on them are the slow boiling frogs.

Post edited by Lucy8080 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah come on, if we closed all the stupid threads in AH we may as well shut down the forum.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes we need Dublin and Dublin needs the Country.

Stupid Thread. Close it now.

Fixed that for you @AMKC

😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As someone who has done some work there, it’s an absolute ghost town most of the day.

Today….Between 12.30 and 20.40…. There have been twenty five commercial passenger departures… operated by FIVE airlines…

an average of just over THREE departures an hour.

nothing oppressive in the manner of which the DAA operate….

Cork airport suffers because of its size, small runways and feck all parking for aircraft and no hangers.

Shannon suffers because people don’t want to fly into it.

you can’t make airlines or passengers fly where they don’t want to, life doesn’t work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We're doing this, I see.....

Oh yes it is... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Quiet you, that's enough from the cheap seats....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Large companys want to located in a city close to an airport with acess to 1000s of potential workers if Google moved to Cork they, d pay the same corporate tax rate, whether you like dublin or not its a modern city with many new offices hotels built in the last 10 years young people tend to move to city's because there's a large range of jobs there also they need acess to fast broadband networks if most young people lived in Cork or Galway google would have opened a campus there every country needs a large capital city with an international airport there's 3 or 4 large new office buildings being built in dublin. I wonder will they ever be fully leased out now that alot of people work from home company's like Google look at locations for reasons is it close to the UK. Has it got a modern airport and plenty of modern office space when the choose a campus location

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I visited a lot of country towns recently abd was shocked at how spruced up they were, a lot of public money has been spent on them. Places like Athlone, Carrick on Shannon, Wesport, Portlaoise.

Now compare the situation with much of the inner city and suburbs of Dublin, rubbish is lying around, broken pavements and holes in the road, dilapidated looking buildings, lack of trees, flowers and 'greening'. Lack of public leisure facilities, pools etc. No guards visible anywhere. Look at the state of Connolly station and environs.

Believe you me Dublin is not getting a lot of money pumped into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

Right, you've been found out, and now it's a wind up and a big joke🤣 Go and move to England waving your little union jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If Dublin, London, Paris or Rome were to retain all the wealth and taxes earned, stoped sharing and supporting rural communities the cities would simply be unbelievable. Quality of life would massively improve and more and more people would gravitate to the capitals, public transport would be instantly upgraded, infrastructure would improve beyond measure and amenities would be plentiful and enriching. Dublin already washes it's own face, not a cent goes to enrich the city from rural areas, it's a one way system, the money goes out of the capital to help rural areas.

Contrastingly, rural areas would suffer immensely from the withdrawal of billions of euro per year from Dublin along with enhanced level of people leaving rural areas to move to the capital or abroad. Roads, infrastructure, motorways unused by the capitals population would fall in to disrepair, communities would be put under huge financial pressure and services would be slashed. 

Anyone wishing for rural emancipation from the cities either has a pure hatred for rural areas. I just don’t understand it. Moronic economic & social suicide talk.

Advertisement