Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Drove 120km today, mostly motorway with N roads. Averaged 16.4kWh/100km

Gotta love that summer weather

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I got a 20A cable with an ID.3 also. A Mennekes branded one.

Works fine on 3 phase for full power and never had to use on single.

They could have put a 32A rated cable on the L1 phase and made the cable much more useful while not adding much cost

I guess VW want you to buy their tethered charger

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

1st Editions of ID.3 like mine came with 20A cable. Works fine on the 3ph 11kW but limited to 4kW on single phase. The loaner ID.3 I got today has a thick 32A cable (212 reg). I guess 1st ID.4s also came with poverty spec cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's what I have. Didn't get it with the id4 though, it was thrown in the boot along with the official Merc granny charger and Merc charging kit when I got my c350e a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Missus took the car (ID4 GTX software 3.0) on a day trip from cork to Dublin today and to be honest I was expecting higher charging rates...it was a bit of a slog...firstly she couldn't get the Ionity charger in Cashel to work, but that was our problem when setting up the app we used our Visa Debit card instead of an actual credit card🙄

Anyway she resorted to using the 50kW ESB charger in Cashel and I told her to get enough to go to J14 and use the 150kW. She got to J14 and put in about 30kWh in 20mins (so 90kW charging rate) That got her to her parents in Dublin.

On the way back she decided to give Ionity 350kW in Kill a go and it worked no probs, but she said she was only getting around 75kW. She was at about 40% charge at the time and there was no one else there as well so was expecting over 100kW or even 135kW?? Decided that 75c/kWh wasn't worth the charge rate she was getting so went back to J14. I asked her to stick it out and it might ramp up, but!!

At J14 she put in 27kWh at a rate of 60kW on the 150kW charger??? she was going I presume SOC of around 50% to 80%

What's the story are these the charging rates you get normally.... I was expecting a lot higher rates on these superfast chargers. this is the first long trip in the GTX and it was a bit of a test run for our trip to France tomorrow eeek!!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

At 40-50% SOC I should have been getting well over 100kW..

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭dingbat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You don’t get the high rates if you plug in at a high SoC. You will only get that charge curve if you plug in at <20% SoC and the battery needs to be above 20C.

Apparently not...when you set up your Ionity account on their app it asks for credit card details. When you go to charge your car it firstly takes €1 from your card and then reserves the total amount until you are finished. With debit cards you cant pre hold payments, it must be paid there and then.

First time trying it it kept asking for €1 approval but would go any further. I changed the card details to a credit card and it worked straight away.

• Advertisement

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not really. KCross explained it pretty simply. Charge with a low SOC, and do so after driving the car for a while - at least an hour in my experience, though summer might be less (to ensure a warm battery)

The ID.4 1st got at 32A cable. Not sure if it's 32A on all 3 phases or just L1

In any case, it gets 7kW from a single phase and 11kW from a 3 phase charger, so it's a decently specced cable

Seems dumb that they went back to the cheapo cables

I'm being really thick. New ID4. Where do you put your glasses?

In previous cars I've always eventually found that there was somewhere a designer had thought would be a logical spot for a compartment/shelf/niche that just happened to be the right size for glasses. Where is it in the ID4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

nowhere... but there are some 3d printed accessories on etsy... i ordered the shelf for under the gap in front and its fine but not the most accessible.. same guy... yuri also does a little tray that sits on top of the cup holder area and ive ordered that as well.. will post when i get it.. had to use addresspal to get from the states

There isn't, it's extremely annoying

I put mine in the center console where the wireless charging pad is

The storage situation in the ID cars is pretty dire, whoever designed it is a total idiot

The area around the cup holders is my biggest gripe. You could turn the cupholder 90 degrees (try it, it fits in the width), and join the center console to the dashboard and you'd get a load space for covered storage or extra cupholders without losing anything

Instead we get these idiotic black bezels and minimal storage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you can replace the grab handle easy enough

GAFAT Sunglasses Holder Glasses Case for Golf 8 / V-W ID.3 ID.4 ID.5 ID.6 2020-2022, Storage Box Organiser Glasses Holder for Golf 8 ID3 ID4 ID5 ID6, Car Interior Accessories (Black) https://amzn.eu/d/dPng4kP

It's as if it's designed to encourage you not to store stuff in the car. Which is fine. But glasses and things like that are what I'd have called defaults.

• Advertisement

I feel like it's more of VW's crack team of accountants at work. Less covered storage makes it easier to manufacture and saves cost

I just find it very frustrating, and I feel like it's all brands, not just VW. My 2007 Toyota Auris had more storage than my 2016 Leaf and the ID.4 has the least amount of storage of all

The cup holder thing. If it's what I'm thinking of, it's disappointing. I got mine free for "testing" them for some guy in a different forum.

I've seen a new one which clips behind the center display. Could be handy for glasses. For me, I put my glasses case in the door bin. Or maybe in the front part of the under console storage

Wow! That's some delivery charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What the hell are ye all storing. There's plenty of storage in the centre console and door for me. The glove compartment is a joke though.

Centre console for me is too much of a bin for things to get lost in. Same with the door card. It's massive, which is great, but massive doesn't go hand in hand with accessible.

The phone charger storage is too hidden away for my liking, so I never use it. I stick a square box of tissues in there too, since the glove box can't hold anything. The rest I leave pretty much empty, and I have that insert I showed a few posts above sitting on top (has a charger cable coming out of it to juice the phone too so that's handy)

I end up putting my phone in a cup holder, but then i'm down a cup holder for drives with 2 of us.

I decided to try the Travel assist on a country road recently. Was a decent quality 80 road but had several sharp bends

I just about needed fresh underwear when I got home. The car can handle a lot of the bends but when it came to a reasonably significant bend it just lost track and I had to take over steering

I found setting the speed lower improved it, but still not great

Maybe the swarm data update will help things but I won't benefit from that in my 1st edition

Needless to say, I'll be sticking to motorways when using travel assist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Car going in on Monday for 2.4, just confirmed with the dealer.

They asked for both keys to be left with them. Seems to be taking 1 day for them to do the update so far….fingers crossed.

Hold on, do you mean you were using the travel assist to drive without steering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

2.4 update done on my 1st. Took just over a day, they were confident it would be ready yesterday having left it in the morning but took a bit longer. Will have to wait and see if all is good after a few drives.

One thing I noticed when it was in, the app was showing 0mm as the range… millimetres?

Advertisement