Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was holding the wheel if that's what you mean, I don't have a death wish 😜

Travel assist does follow the lane, so it's basically like autopilot. I was mostly curious to see if it "knew" about upcoming bends and would adjust the speed so make it around the corner

It seemed to try, a bit, but then it would start to lose the lane markings and I had to take over

To be clear, it's fine for motorways and main roads which are relatively straight. Just not quite capable of sharp bends yet. At least from what I've seen so far

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

If I ever get to 0% it won’t be useful to know how many more millimetres I can go 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Did you get contacted by your garage for the 2.4 update and new 12v battery or did you contact them ? I've an ID.4 1st edition (April '21) and have heard nothing from them. I had it in for a service a couple of months back and ask at the time about the 2.4 update and battery update and they said they new nothing about it, and nothing on system about it, even though at the time it had been common knowledge it was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I rang my dealer and booked in for it next month. I'd say they'll be dealing with those booking in first then will get to everyone else eventually.

• Advertisement

You never know, you could run out just before the charger

I remember carwow (ugh) did a video where they drove a bunch of EVs until they ran out. At the end they'd have to try and get to a charger and charge up

I think the Mercedes EQC died the moment they parked it at the charger, talk about good timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You can use your phone's "Google Wallet" (and assume Apple Pay) with Ionity which is a lot easier as you do not need to be bothered with the 2FA process with your bank every time you charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I contacted them , car is getting a new bumper at the same time (finally).

Was told to hold off until the 2.4 update rollout started to only need one visit.

I see some of the German owners are already getting 3.0 OTA now, can’t see it happening here until end of September at the earliest.

Tried booking in for 2.4 update but there's no availability until September

Oh well, guess it'll be after the road trip before I get the update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

A dummies Q,

why is the v2h breakthrough so difficult and expensive ? Why is it so different from sticking 10kw batteries on our solar systems?

😎

• Advertisement

In a word, inverters

Batteries are DC, your house needs AC, so you need an inverter to convert one to the other

You've already got one attached to your PV system, so as you know they cost several thousand for a decent power supply

So the next question is where to put the inverter, in the car or external

VW have taken the external approach, so you'll need to take DC electricity from the car to an inverter in the wallbox

The advantages are that you make the car simpler and cheaper, and because space and weight aren't as big a concern you can have a bigger inverter and pull a lot of power from the car. VW V2G wallbox will apparently be capable of supplying 22kW to the house, although I suspect that'll be only on 3 phase. This opens up the possibility of feeding back power to the grid and being paid to have your car plugged in at certain times for grid balancing

The disadvantage is that the wallbox will likely cost several thousand, so it's a lot of investment to basically just have a bigger PV battery for your house

The other approach is to have the inverter in the car, like what Kia & Hyundai are doing. The advantages there are that your car is essentially a portable power station and can provide power anywhere, so no expensive wallbox or external inverter needed

The disadvantage is that you're adding complexity, weight and cost to the car, although you can offset this somewhat by making it an optional extra

The other tricky part for both options is local grid regulations. You've probably noticed that ESB are a bit uptight about how your PV array is properly isolated from the grid in the event of a grid failure.

Same rules apply for V2G, and despite Brussels best efforts, almost every country in Europe has their own set of rules for this. Which means that a V2H system has to be adapted for every set of regulations, which is a bit of a nightmare scenario for any manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not really uptight. It’s safety issue. Nearly every system operator in the works have the same rules. It’s to protect the life of the staff working on the system.

you can’t feed on to line when it it out. There could be a pair of hands on it, trying to fix the fault

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I would suspect it'll be the same as Ioniq5 V2L. You can't have V2h as far as I understand without comparable bidirectional home charger. Ioniq 5 can also do that having a V2h charger. They are doing a pilot setup in Korea at the moment I think with an expansion of V2h which is called V2G (vehicle to grid) which is the future (but would question the impact on vechicle battery there with frequent charge and discharge cycles).

Rumours that Tesla also have the car hardware for this and would require just a sw update. But Tesla don't seem to say much about this maybe, trying to sell more batteries. Two parts of their business model competing with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Is there an argument to go down this route instead of batteries when you are installing solar? Just go for a big solar array and then a DC bidirectional inverter instead of a hybrid.

6.96kwp South facing

True, my only issue is that the standards seem different in many EU countries

Ireland in particular chose to have a different standard for mains disconnection, which means that many models of inverter aren't compatible with our standards

There could be, if your car sits in the driveway most of the time then you can just have it plugged into a v2g wallbox instead of needing a house battery

Of course you could argue that you didn't need to spend the money on a long range EV if it just sits there all the time 😉

What will be interesting will be if VW provide the ability on the wallbox to connect solar panels. If they have like a 48V input then you could just connect your panels directly to the wallbox, which then functions as your hybrid inverter

Otherwise you'll still need to pay out several thousand for one, which kind of erases most of the cost benefits of having v2g

Wow, they made the center console worse, didn't think that was possible 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

What about the impact on the life expectancy of the car battery, which is the most expensive part of any electric vehicle. It can't do it a whole lot of good to add charging cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

V2G wont have your car cycling its battery alot. V2G will be where you allow the provider to take a few kWh's from your battery.... its not like the car is at 100% and they take 50% of it.... we are talking modest amounts of discharge per car. When you multiply it up by thousands of cars it adds up to alot for the grid.

• Advertisement

It's worth keeping in mind that the rate of degradation depends on the depth and rate of discharge

For example, the ID.4 has a 150kW motor, so can discharge 150kW from the battery at any one time without damage. Most Irish houses have a 16kW grid connection so even powering the house entirely from the car you won't be anywhere near what the car is capable of providing

Then there's depth of discharge. I think my house would use a maximum of 30kWh per day in the depths of winter, typically less. So again if I was powering the house entirely from the car I'd be able to go 2.5 days before the battery is discharged

In a more normal mode of operation, I'd be charging the battery overnight, using the car in the morning and afternoon, plugging into during the day to use as much solar PV as possible and then discharging in the evening when the sun is gone

So I'd likely be taking only 10kWh out of the battery, similar to a days commute

So there probably would be a very slight impact to the battery's lifetime, bit driving the car around will remain the biggest source of degradation

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You'll have to buy cars capable of v2h from then on in that case. And some of the car options out there can support v2h already (right?) Without the need for an expensive external inverter.

It did cross my mind though. Likely €5-7k for the charger inverter unit, but then no few €k on a small 5kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone else have their sos alarm come on? Our started beeping today... Was driving so I pressed the sos button and it started a call. Spoke to someone asked was the car ok and I said yes and that was it..false alarm it seems.. no warnings etc on the car

There's value in both approaches, ideally you'd have the option of a small inverter onboard like an Ioniq 5, and the DC wallbox if you need more power

What I'm hoping is that the wallbox combines the functions of a solar inverter and the v2h system

If it had a 48V input/output then it could function as a regular hybrid inverter, and you could just plug the solar panels in via an mppt. You could even have a little battery sitting on the 48V rail, so you still have a buffer if you're away from the house

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla will never introduce this, all pre 2017 Tesla came with free SuC for life so if they did introduce you'd have folk filling their car to charge their house at Tesla's expense

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭dingbat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

Car has gone offline since yesterday. Cannot get it to connect to the system.

Anyone finding this?

Oh yeah that was happening to me last year. It should fix itself but it might take a day or two

Mine would give a spinning circle for ages and then say something like "network not available"

Once it gets that way it seems to get stuck like that for a couple of days and then it'll fix itself

My advice is to keep track of where and when it happens. The guys at VW will be able to check the network signal in that area to see if it's bad

Mine would do it every few weeks and then it just stopped sometime earlier this year

I think I connected it to the house WiFi around then, that might have helped or not, can't really tell

I think Elon wasn't to enthusiastic about the idea as well, keeps saying it causes too much degradation

I think he probably doesn't want to create any competition for Tesla Powerwalls, ideally he wants potential customers to buy both a car and a PV system with Powerwall

Also the free leccy is definitely a reason, although realistically how much could they lose on this considering there's a limited number of those older Teslas around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

happened us last week. Stayed off line for about a week. Wife was exploring around kerry. So reckoned signal was bad. But didn’t comeback when she got back to Dublin. Ended up pulling out fuse 19 and putting it back in.

this fixed it.

Advertisement