Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China’s Army posts “Preparing for war!”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

An American diplomat has travelled to Taiwan which is what has incensed the Chinese. Doesn’t matter what a person thinks of this action or who is right or wrong, USA is at the core of this subject whether you think China has no right to react like it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How many wars have China started in the past 60 years compared to USA?? Pandering to the US has the world in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is a thread dedicated to the whole 'American Imperialism' sthick. This is not the thread do redo that.

On your point, if China gets so upset over an 82-year-old American woman visiting an Island, then it says more about them, than the Americans.

Well that’s not completely true either. The problem in these threads is that you get posters who are overly aggressive at either defending or attacking the USA. I mean you can’t even question potential US role and motives with the Ukraine situation , but part of the reason is the absolute line in the sand some people are taking on the topic. They can only see and discuss it in black and white as they see it.

There’s an awful of posters with great knowledge on these topics but they let their sentiments/emotions cloud rational discussion. Would be good to see an objectively balanced and open thread on USAs role without people childishly throwing insults about putinists or right wing or whatever and just discuss what is being said (instead of attacking the poster).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

No problem talking about the fact a politician from the US visited Taiwan but the thread will potentially turn into biden said this, trump fan boys said that, maga this and Kamala cackled that.

Click into either the Trump or Biden threads - that poster is number 1 most active dishing out divisive shite

Can we not have one thread that involves the US but doesn't go down the same garbage path?

But that’s not the point. Why is America getting involved? I’m not looking to make this a USA bashing thread, I just think it’s not right to make a thread on the recent China/Taiwan tensions and suggest that USAs role and motives are somehow irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

They invaded Vietnam and went to war with India twice. Nearly went to war with the USSR over river islands.

You think you're dealing with boyscouts here?

Know your history before you Tankie.

That’s fine, so ignore them, don’t engage them. Posters like me who don’t engage in this stuff often and aren’t familiar with these posters, feel like there’s a “no discussion of USA in a negative way regardless of how involved they are in a topic” kind of rule. Then I get caught in the cross hairs and get accused of being one of these conspiracy theorists because some of you presume birds of a feather flock together and then I just don’t bother engaging.

So 3?

And America has been involved in conflict in Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq x2, Pakistan, Somalia x2, Operation Ocean Shield, Libya, Uganda, Syria, Kosovo, Haiti, Bosnia/Croatia, Kuwait and Panama.

And that’s only going back 30 years ffs.

• Advertisement

We're all able to criticize the US. But there's utter morons who will blame the US in every circumstance when an autocrat covets their neighbour.

Taiwan is a case in point. The place only exists as a going concern, and a highly vibrant democracy and innovation powerhouse because they have been given the tools to defend themselves.

We have utter roasters, who just like the Ukraine situation, are perfectly willing to give people like Xi and Putin a free pass - men who are actively planning wars to crush democracies. And they'll focus on narrow conspiracy theories to jump up and down on the head of a pin.

It's brain dead swill. The US had nothing to do with Putin's decision to invade. He wanted Ukraine, and he went ahead and tried to take it.

Its getting involved because its has a legal obligation to support Taiwan, along with supporting its allies in the region, Japan, South Korea, The Philipines and Australia.

Would you rather the Americans disengage and let those other countries at it? Do you KNOW what would happen if they did that?

The poster asked how many wars China was involved in as if they were Amish pacifists. They also got stuck in to Korea at the request of Stalin.

I gave him his answer. China does war, and it's preparing to do another one in the coveting of a democracy.

Wake up.

They also invaded Tibet. Killed 20% of the population and destroyed almost all their religious monuments.

One of their favourite ways to torture the population was to make the Tibetan children kill their parents and the monks.

China are no boy scouts.

Would I rather the Americans disengage? Where is that question coming from? I’ve not once here insinuated anything that should or should not happen, all I’ve said is that I think you can’t discuss the topic without discussing americas role in it.

If anyone knows what type of future awaits Taiwan under the CCP, look no further than Hong Kong.

Hong Kong - China

The Committee was deeply concerned about the overly broad interpretation of Hong Kong’s National Security Law (NSL), which was passed by the National People’s Congress of China without consultation with the Hong Kong public. Since its enactment in 2020, the NSL has reportedly led to the arrests of over 200 people, including 12 children. The Committee underscored the shortcomings of the NSL, including the lack of clarity of “national security” and the possibility of transferring cases from Hong Kong to mainland China, which is not a State party to the Covenant, for investigation, prosecution, trial and execution of penalties. The Committee urged Hong Kong to take action to repeal the National Security Law and, in the meantime, refrain from applying it.

The Committee also raised concern about the excessive number of civil society organizations, such as trade unions and student unions, which have relocated or ceased to operate since the enactment of the NSL. It regretted that the Hong Kong government had not provided explicit assurances that civil society and their representatives engaging with the Committee in this review would be protected from charges under the NSL. The Committee requested that Hong Kong refrain from taking any action that could curb the freedom of association and ensure that members of civil society will not be prosecuted under the NSL for their participation in the current review.

Open liberal democracy in Hong Kong is dead.

So why not ignore them if they are “roasters” or “nutters”, you are worse for engaging them.

The issue as I see it is that some posters then make out anybody asking a similar question is by default one of these posters and treated with the same aggressive responses.

Edit: I will tap out of here. Im not looking to derail the thread.

Because dumb posts deserve disdain.

This isn't a knitting circle. Soemtimes crap needs to be called out for what it is.

Haha, I am the poster who asked. Stalin wasn’t around in the 1960s as far as I’m aware. So since the 60s you can come up with 3 wars involving China, I was able to come up with 16 the US we’re involved in and only went back to 1990. Yet China are the ‘warmongers’.

And as Taiwan is already part of China, they don’t need to covet it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

China wants to invade Taiwan. One of the factors preventing that is the US, and the fallout from such an action.

There will always be people who try to turn that on it's head to scapegoat blame away from China.

How does it feel to be on the side of a tyrannical authoritarian regime?

Check your dates on the Korean war. And you said 70 years not 60, and you got your answer.

If Taiwan is 'part of China', then why are they acting like scum threatening war?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I never said that Taiwanese cannot decide themselves - I responded to a poster who was surprised about chinese people having a fixation on Taiwan being "theirs"

No different to the attitudes of people re separatist territories all over the world

How does it feel to be on the same side as a country who has started many wars and tries to police the world while at the same time doing nothing to prevent children from being murdered in schools in their own country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

America for all it's faults and it has many is the beacon for democracy for our world. Without it pieces of sh1t like Xi and Putin would run riot.

It really is beginning to look like Europe is going to have to “play it’s role” with the US in arming and getting involved in global politics outside of simply using trade and financial penalties. The comittment to defence spending will probably end up multiples of what’s being touted, time to invest in weapons manufacturing 

Due to considerations relating to Europe. ie, Russia. It has nothing to do with China.. and Europeans have no reason in getting involved with Asian affairs. The US does because they've spent 70 years dabbling in their politics and economies, along with the trade considerations.

If Xi is really in trouble of losing power then the Taiwan escalation makes sense, the question may be how far he might be willing to take it to hold onto power.

Xi promised the return of Taiwan to his main supporters (the military) throughout the first period of his rule, so if he wants to retain power he has to give the military what they want. However, I suspect they know very well that they're not ready for a war with the US, so they'll get something else instead. Likely further increased budgets instead. But Xi will be leaving sooner or later.. he's failed to deliver Taiwan.

Escalation and invasion of Taiwan made sense when the US was committed to the M.East, the Chinese economy was doing well, and their own society was stable. Now, the US is no longer heavily involved with the M.East, the Chinese economy is shattering, and social unrest is on the rise. They've missed their best opportunity.. and likely know it.

This is all just posturing. No different from the hundreds of other times the US/China have sought to push each others buttons.

So do you think in an alternative universe where usa wasn’t a super power since the 20th century, the world is better or safer and has less conflict?

Of course it’s a hypothetical thought excercise but there’s plenty of evidence in history of how that works out for populations. Now throw in nukes to dictators and see what happens when people try to overthrow regimes. Xi May start a war with Taiwan so he can galvanise his people to vote for him so he can stay in power, how is that good for the world if USA stays out of it?

I personally think that the USA has influenced on some level (good or bad) pretty much any major global conflict singe its been top dog. But that doesn’t imply it’s all bad or that they are responsible for the responses of other parties.

You can’t be the one major super power in the world and not influence things. Even doing nothing can influence things. Where I feel people looking to drag down the USA are misguided is that for all the damage they feel the USA are causing (and the damage that they have caused), there seems to be little consideration for the damage that could be caused without them.

This is a thread about China, and relates directly to the foreign policy of the US. Any discussion regarding America's foreign policy (past/present) is relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If you support Taiwan's sovereignty and democracy, then yes, that would put you on the same "side" as the US.

Here's an interesting concept, you can be critical of a nation's politics or foreign policy from various administrations, but also agree with some of their policies or stances.

Advertisement