Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China’s Army posts “Preparing for war!”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Rawr

I get the impression of the JSDF being up to NATO standard with their troops & kit, so they'd make for a solid fighting force I feel. Beijing would likely love to go to war with Japan for the propaganda value of it. Japan are the big boogieman of China's past and feature prominently as the villians in pretty much any war drama on Chinese TV (of which there are many). A war with Japan would be sold as payback for WWII, which the population would likely buy into in droves.

But actually fighting the JSDF and trying to invade Japan? That would be insane. The Japanese home islands are historically difficult to invade, with few natural landing spots, challenging crossing conditions in the Sea of Japan, and Japan itself is a combination of urban sprawl & dense mountain areas. Much of this eliminates China's numeric advantage, and even the original allied plan to invade the home-islands in WWII estimated about 1 million dead in the attempt. I don't fancy China's chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Rawr

One could argue that China weren't seriously onboard with climate change talks to be begin with. Their MO is typically to try to gleen as many opt-outs as possible under the excuse of them being a "developing" nation. In other words they just want to rubber-stamp their business as usual pollution of pretty much everything.

Taiwan has just given them an excuse to disengage with a sense of righteous indignation. If it wasn't this, it would probably have been something else down the road. It's not Pelosi's fault that they can't be mature about this critical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I am as critical and cynical on China and its leader as anyone , but now was not the time to inflame the situation , when ther is already a war raging in the East, I just feal it was Pelosis ego to go ,when ther was really no need , not sure either the Taiwanese people wanted her to come, and endure the current fear, it will be the ordinary people that suffer not leaders like Pelosi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More, non-military responses from China and Nancy has been sanctioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

2 whales and a school of mackerel apparently. They are very angry, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's Pelosi's fault, nothing to do with the disgusting murderous CCP party.

I dunno. I've seen a lot of change over the years in China regarding their approaches to pollution, and waste creation. They've sought to change their coal power plants to more environmentally friendly installations, they've implemented recycling efforts in most population centres, incentivised electric cars and hybrids, etc. It's still an incredibly polluted place (compared to Ireland), but Chinese people know first-hand what it's like to live with that kind of pollution on a daily basis. Environmental awareness is taught in all schools, and again, in Universities, with the line about people doing their bit to clean up the country. Changing the mindset of country takes time.

The thing people should remember is that Europe/the West industrialised during periods where pollution wasn't a serious concern, and was mostly localised. We (western societies) reached the point ahead of everyone else. S.Korea industrialised rather quickly due to it's relatively small size, but has many issues with pollution. Whereas for a huge country like China, industrialisation is a major undertaking (due to territory and population).

I'd say they're pretty serious about climate change because they're experiencing it first hand.. some from their own making, but also the global aspect too. As for the climate change talks themselves, TBH I've always been more than a bit sceptical. I've travelled through the US and seen their own contributions to pollution, and for all the talk, little seems to have changed.. same again with other countries who make superficial changes, or implement policies that end up costing the taxpayer but with limited actual effect on the situation, except that we must always do more.

Japan are the big boogieman of China's past and feature prominently as the villians in pretty much any war drama on Chinese TV (of which there are many). A war with Japan would be sold as payback for WWII, which the population would likely buy into in droves.

Japan is the go-to villain in all Chinese propaganda.. but at the same time, they've seriously strong links beyond that. Japanese culture for "young" people is everywhere, from fashion to technology. If you look at the computers and other equipment in Chinese universities, often there's a sticker showing that it was contributed by a Japanese-Chinese agreement. At the same time, propaganda campaigns pop up every so often, student mobs form, and Japanese products/businesses are destroyed while the police stand by watching (although it only really hurts Chinese people themselves).

China/Japan have a complicated relationship.. and I doubt China would want an actual war with them. Much better to have them as a target for propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Stalin was not, as you say, around in the 60s. Neither was the Korean War though (1950-1953).

Better to have some knowledge on the subject before rushing in with your "gotcha", lest you make yourself look foolish.

Was it so essential she go right now - given what is going in the East right now - BTW I am no CCP appologist but sometimes you need to time your move

• Advertisement

The main statements of the Chinese Foreign Ministry:

- China suspends dialogue with the United States at the level of regional military commands;

- China cancels working meetings with representatives of the US Department of Defense;

- China temporarily suspends cooperation with the United States in the field of combating illegal migration;

— China suspends cooperation with the United States in the fight against drugs;

— China suspends Sino-US talks on climate change;

- China suspends cooperation with the United States in the field of justice;

— China suspends cooperation with the United States in the fight against international crime.

Stupid wagon..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My word, Nancy has some power and China's fit of pique continues! If it were a child they'd be dispatched post-haste to their room for an outburst like this! They are actually the ones who want to invade Taiwan and supposedly bring it home, despite there being very little support for a return to China in Taiwan and every likelihood they will fight any invasion with lots of help. For all the ranting and toy throwing it's that Clinton quote - "It's the economy stupid" that really drives China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yes they are both despotic, however it’s absolutely clear that North Korea is the worse in that respect of the two. Saudis have infinitely more freedoms that Koreans under the Kim Dynasty.

She should be able to go whenever she wants. The kowtowing to the CCP needs to stop. The west have spent far too long being careful with asshats like Xi and Putin and look where it's got us. It's time for Biden to grow a set and visit himself.

China has spent the last 3 years flooding the US with fentanyl so it's pretty farcical from them attempting to say they are suspending cooperation in the fight against drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

All this talk and sabre rattling is a sign of weakness for China. They are very paranoid. There hasn't been much of a peep from South Korea, Japan or even the Australians on this. THey are probably looking on in amusement at a supposedly strong superpower throwing its toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Russia's brutal invasion of Ukraine, and Chinese sable rattling is coming at an important time for the Pentagon. Giving it the impetus to spur development of long just stating weapons programs, after 2 decades of the forever wars.

At a time when people might rightly have started questioning the ever burgeoning military budget, they've been handed a gold-plated gift from both of these regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm sure they are delighted, America has reaffirmed their commitment to the region. I would say it's been a great diplomatic excercise .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'd say they did that on purpose? People here dismiss it as "shooting at fish" etc. but it's quite a large and gaudy tantrum they are throwing for 1 US politician visiting, we would not be so blasé were it taking place in the seas and skies around Ireland that is for sure!

Anyway, as you said in your other post it suits Xi/CCP to do it for several reasons. If this particular visit hadn't been used to justify large military exercises around Taiwan something else would have. They are a bunch of thugs & bullies really. They've also been riling up their population & need to show strength, do something significant after all the wild threats made before her visit. Finally their air force/navy is going to need alot (years) of such large exercises and prep. work to get ready to invade if/when Xi or the next leader says it is time to go...

I don't think people are too concerned over what Saudi's do to their own people, but how foreign groups are treated in their country... and the broad influence Saudi Arabia has over countries beyond it's borders. Something N.Korea is very limited by. Also you might want to consider the legal and religious angle of living in Saudi Arabia for Saudi's who are not wealthy and/or don't have the right kind of influence.

• Advertisement

You don't think that the US will use this situation to increase it's own spending, fix it's ability to project it's conventional strength (as opposed to small/limited deployments), and further establish themselves in Asia?

They certainly will. Both China and the US use these situations to justify ever increased military spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

None of that disputes what I am saying :/ North Korea is a far more despotic regime than Saudi Arabia. In Saudi Arabia you can travel within the county and leave the country, with certain restrictions that would seem absurd to us, sure, but compared to North Korea, where there is close to an absolute ban on internal and external travel, Saudi Arabia is a paradise. It’s widely accepted among human rights groups that North Korea is absolutely unparalleled in respect to its despotic nature.

The Chinese civil war never officially ended (like Korea). Therefore two entities continue to exist, the PRC and the ROC. Once again, this is like Korea, where two competing states claim sovereignty over the entire peninsula.

Grand, you're limiting the comparison to the term of being despotic. Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

This has been called out as fake and not surprising really. It's funny how these leaked documents are always so blurry. Even bog standard phones these days could take a photocopy quality image of a document.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The population of Yemen might disagree with you, also a guy called Khasshoggi might not share your "paradise" opinion if he was still around...and most of the 9/11 hijackers came from that paradise, (none came from "despotic" North Korea).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You think this was not the plan all along say one thing do the other. In one of the climate threads I suggested trusting despotic regimes was a mistake. Met with "well even dictators see this is an issue" or something along them lines. Russia will be next. Then a list of others as they can just say what's the point. I would say India is looking at this. 🤔

The public reaction in Taiwan has been largely positive if you'd checked.. If anything, in long run this is literally affirming their position as a state and guaranteed protection from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I imagine unity and sovereignty is as important to the Chinese as the us here in Ireland.

Would those welcoming Pelosi's visit to Taiwan feel the same if she went to NI and pledged support for the DUP and Brexit and the removal of the protocol?

• Advertisement

I did check - but it depends on which media you believe, many I have read said ther was not outright support for her visit by ordinary people, who I'm sure want to avoid a possible war or live in constant fear, as they are currently.

Advertisement